HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Will Drew sign with LA before Saturday, September 17th?

View Poll Results: Will Drew sign before camp opens?
Yes 37 33.64%
No 73 66.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Will Drew sign with LA before Saturday, September 17th?

Simple enough. Do you think Drew will sign before camp opens? Simple yes or no.

Curious to see how dire Kings fans feel a week out.

Old
09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Scottkmlps

No. He is either showing his true colors, or is a big puppet for Meehan. Be it him, or his agent(s), this whole ordeal is making him look like he doesn't care about the team, he only cares about himself. I mean really, turning down $61.2 million?

Old
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
You do what your agent tells you. You are paying your agent millions of dollars. What was the point of it all if you step in and do it yourself? I would argue that Drew would have never of seen that number had he been representing himself and would have likely of been signed somewhere in the $5m's for 4 years or so. This isn't personal, it is purely business. There is still a bit of time until training camp begins. Lots of things can happen till then.

Until he hits training camp and is still a free agent, there shouldn't be any ire towards Doughty. He is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing. If it reaches camp, then some concerns can be made, and if we enter the regular season with still an unsigned Doughty, then let the flaming begin, but till then there is no difference from today and the day before camp.

As for my opinion, I voted no. I think Meehan is going to play hardball and he has the ace in his hand, you can't blame him. He has control of arguably the Kings' most important future asset, who has no real comparable, the moment before one of their most important seasons in franchise history and the GM needs to bring home results this year. An agent couldn't ask for a better scenario.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
09-10-2011, 11:59 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

No. I don't see what will change so much between now and then.

I think both sides have dug in their heels and likely the only thing that will move things in Drew's favor is the Kings to struggle out of the gate.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:05 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I thought he would sign before hockey fest. Now I think it'll drag out into training camp. By the way some of the freaking out on here is hilarious.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:27 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I thought he would sign before hockey fest. Now I think it'll drag out into training camp. By the way some of the freaking out on here is hilarious.
Indeed it is.

I'm so glad I have this culture shock to keep my mind occupied.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:28 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

In short ^

Old
09-11-2011, 12:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

The fans freaking out is EXACTLY what Meehan wants. The fans can force the Kings to cave in this deal.

Relax.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:40 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
The fans freaking out is EXACTLY what Meehan wants. The fans can force the Kings to cave in this deal.

Relax.
Love the avatar!

Old
09-11-2011, 12:51 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Doughty hatin' is so childish.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think so.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

You know what, I'm starting to get to the point where I almost want to let Drew hold out (and I don't believe it's completely his fault). When Deano came in several years ago, one of the things he said he wanted to change was culture - a culture in which nobody was above the team. I understand that Drew is one of our best players, but he's NOT above the team. Make him the highest paid player, sure, but make it reasonable compared to our other players, not what he would get on the free market. Giving in to Drew and his agent would be an awful idea. Not because of pride; I could care less about pride. But it's about the team, and if Drew wants to be earning millions more a year than every other player on the team, then I'd rather have someone else take his spot. I'm definitely with Dean on this one.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:12 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

I say no. But I think it will be during the pre-season.

I'm down for Dean playing hardball. It someways he's got the ball in his court. Until Doughty signs he isn't making any money and he isn't playing any hockey. With the additions they made this off season and the depth they have in defense in Manchester, they can hold their ground without Doughty.

Of course they'll eventually need him but if Doughty is prepared to holdout the Kings will be still a good team with out him... (for a little while) This could be the chance for a guy like Voynov to show what he's made of!

Old
09-11-2011, 01:23 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
No. He is either showing his true colors, or is a big puppet for Meehan. Be it him, or his agent(s), this whole ordeal is making him look like he doesn't care about the team, he only cares about himself. I mean really, turning down $61.2 million?
Please explain to me why DD has to sign a deal 2 years longer than Kopi in order to make the same money? DD is our best player!!!

DL says he wants to make DD the highest paid king yet, that's only on a condition that DD signs for a longer term. Doesn't quite seem fair imo.

For all we know, Meehan may just be asking for the same deal as Kopi and DL is being unwilling.

I hate guys like Meehan but I really think it's DL that's being unreasonable here.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:44 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Please explain to me why DD has to sign a deal 2 years longer than Kopi in order to make the same money? DD is our best player!!!

DL says he wants to make DD the highest paid king yet, that's only on a condition that DD signs for a longer term. Doesn't quite seem fair imo.

For all we know, Meehan may just be asking for the same deal as Kopi and DL is being unwilling.

I hate guys like Meehan but I really think it's DL that's being unreasonable here.
Honestly, I think Kopitar is our best player. Doughty had one season as our best player, but I think Kopitar was the teams top player last year. Heck, for the first half of the season last year it's debateable that DD was even our best defenseman.

On sheer talent, DD is the best, but if we are going off what players have shown thus far in terms of year by year expectations, I'd rather see Kopitar as the teams top paid player. This is what I have suspected is at the centre of the dispute for a while now, that DL thinks Drew shouldn't be the teams top paid player and Meehan/Drew think he should be.

If the deal is a long term one, it will be interesting to see if it's over the $6.8 million cap hit Kopitar has.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Fishhead

Quote:

I doubt the money is the hold up, it's all term. DL wants to buy some UFA years, and is willing to pay to do it. I think Meehan is sticking to wanting a 5 year deal. I expect this to be resolved fairly quickly once camp starts. What is forcing Meehan's hand right now? Nothing. What about DL's hand? Nothing.

Come camp time, Drew is going to want to know why he isn't playing. Don't think this won't put pressure on Meehan.

If players have egos, agents have ones that are just as big. I wonder if Meehan is trying to prove something here. Like proving to Weber or Kopitar, both former clients, that "Hey, I could have gotten you more." It wouldn't surprise me, given Kopitar is a teammate and Weber the nearest comparable.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Monarchist

The biggest thing we don't know is how the money is distributed. Meehan got huge bonuses for Stamkos.

If Lombardi totally front loaded and made into bonuses the $61.2 million, it would be enough.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think he holds out.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:06 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Honestly, I think Kopitar is our best player. Doughty had one season as our best player, but I think Kopitar was the teams top player last year. Heck, for the first half of the season last year it's debateable that DD was even our best defenseman.

On sheer talent, DD is the best, but if we are going off what players have shown thus far in terms of year by year expectations, I'd rather see Kopitar as the teams top paid player. This is what I have suspected is at the centre of the dispute for a while now, that DL thinks Drew shouldn't be the teams top paid player and Meehan/Drew think he should be.

If the deal is a long term one, it will be interesting to see if it's over the $6.8 million cap hit Kopitar has.
I will respectfully disagree that Kopi is our best player. I'm not even convinced that he's our best center just yet. I bet if we were to ask the mainboard which of Richards or Kopi is the better center, Richards wins. And if we were to ask which of Kopi or DD is the better player, DD wins. So, realistically, Kopi just may be our 3rd best player.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:10 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I doubt the money is the hold up, it's all term. DL wants to buy some UFA years, and is willing to pay to do it. I think Meehan is sticking to wanting a 5 year deal. I expect this to be resolved fairly quickly once camp starts. What is forcing Meehan's hand right now? Nothing. What about DL's hand? Nothing.

Come camp time, Drew is going to want to know why he isn't playing. Don't think this won't put pressure on Meehan.

If players have egos, agents have ones that are just as big. I wonder if Meehan is trying to prove something here. Like proving to Weber or Kopitar, both former clients, that "Hey, I could have gotten you more." It wouldn't surprise me, given Kopitar is a teammate and Weber the nearest comparable.
DL wants the 9 yr and Meehan wants the 5 yr, so obviously, they need to split the difference and sign for the 7 yr. The problem is both Meehan and DL are so egotistical, neither of the two may be unwilling budge.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I will respectfully disagree that Kopi is our best player. I'm not even convinced that he's our best center just yet. I bet if we were to ask the mainboard which of Richards or Kopi is the better center, Richards wins. And if we were to ask which of Kopi or DD is the better player, DD wins. So, realistically, Kopi just may be our 3rd best player.
That's fine, and I do respect your opinion. It's a great debate to have.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you that Richards is better than Kopitar than to agree that Drew is better than Kopitar at this point, simply because Richards and Kopitar are proven, Drew isn't at that level. One season, in my opinion, isn't proof. It's proof of talent, but not proof that you are worth that kind of money (top on the team). Both Richards and Kopitar have several seasons to back up their claim, Drew has three solid seasons, and he's shown a lot in those three seasons, but only one is truly a standout season.

If Drew comes out and plays to his 2009-2010 standard this year, I'll gladly reverse my opinion and say he's our top guy.

Either way, anyone who says Drew is our top player I can't truly disagree with, it is a close call, and I respect your opinion completely. I just feel to be the top player on the team, you need to prove it, and Drew hasn't yet IMO.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:23 AM
TopT

Quote:

Sorry but he is not

Old
09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Monarchist

Most talented player, yes.

Inconsistent, unproven player, yes.

Best player, no - not yet anyway.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
TopT

Quote:
No its not realisticaly; its all in youre head; and please check the polls on the main board.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
3rd best player? The sick thing about Kopitar is that when he went down, we thought it was his offense that we would miss. Then we found out his PPG offense was nothing compared to his defensive skills. Doughty is good, but I do think people tend to pump him up a bit just because he's younger than Kopitar. It's how HFboards works.

I think Kopitar is our best player, but I think Doughty CAN become our most important player. But again, no player is untouchable. Richards embodied Clarkie on the Flyers and even he was traded for what the Flyers felt was a better deal. I'm really not too worried if it comes down to a trade. But optimally, I, like you all, would like either a Kopitar contract or a longer contract for $7 some mil. The fact that it has gone passed late August, that Lombardi projected, does make me want to pace at least a little bit.

Closed Thread