HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most "lucky" NHL Player compared to his talent

Old
09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Hertl Power

vCash: 500
Though he will be playing in the SEL this season the answer is Niclas Wallin. He is the alltime leader for defensemen ot playoff goals and he has no skill.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
What???

Any source to support this?

With most of their games starting at 10-10:30PM Eastern Time, I would be surprised if that was true.

Your reputation is going downhill fast.
As somebody in the east, I watched them fairly often. I went to school near the border and watched HNIC, but saw the late game more often than the early one ('cuz I was often getting back from live games ). Vancouver was on pretty much every weekend.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:26 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

And I didn't even notice the OP had mentioned Burrows, lol! As equally absurd as putting up Rafalski, but:

-He was UNDRAFTED
-He had to start from the ECHL
-Even when he finally worked his way into the NHL, he kicked off as a bottom 6 grinder/pest
-Sure his point totals benefit from playing with the Sedins, but whose wouldn't? That's like saying Bobby Ryan is lucky to play with Getzlaf and Perry.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Tweed

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:28 AM
bruinsfan46

Chris Osgood and Grant Fuhr have to be number one and number two on my all time list. Very average NHL starting goalies that rode the coat tails of actual Hall of Famers to Hall of Fame or potentially Hall of Fame careers themselves. The line that is used to praise Fuhr goes something like, "If the Oilers scored seven goals, Fuhr would let in six but would shut the door on the seventh." Which is just plain stupid, a really good goalie is only gonna let in two and just coast to a 7-2 victory. The Red Wings front office who's been the best in the game the last two decades spent virtually Chris Osgood's entire Red Wings career trying to find anybody better to start in net for them because they understood he wasn't that great. Gerry Cheevers is another average goaltender who rode some coat tails of some of the best ever to Stanley Cups and the Hall of Fame.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Philoops
I am Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Ryan Shannon?

Came to Ottawa in a minor league swap for Nycholat from Vancouver, where he was used as an AHL call-up. Started in the AHL with Binghamton, impressed Bingo coach Cory Clouston enough that, after Clouston had been promoted to head coach of the Ottawa Senators, Shannon was recalled and became a regular NHLer, playing 2nd line minutes with Fisher and Foligno.
I would call that the stupidity of Cory Clouston. And Shannon played on the fourth line 98% of the time.

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:31 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

St. Louis
Dan Boyle

They always had the skill, but couldn't effectively use their talents in Calgary/Florida. Both prospered in Tampa. Both went undrafted and now St. Louis is one of the best play-makers in the NHL and Boyle is one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Osgood.

People talk about this guy going to the Hall, if he played on the Panthers/Islanders during the majority of his nhl career, versus red wings, he would have been deemed nothing more than a back up years ago.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:38 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Chris Osgood and Grant Fuhr have to be number one and number two on my all time list. Very average NHL starting goalies that rode the coat tails of actual Hall of Famers to Hall of Fame or potentially Hall of Fame careers themselves. The line that is used to praise Fuhr goes something like, "If the Oilers scored seven goals, Fuhr would let in six but would shut the door on the seventh." Which is just plain stupid, a really good goalie is only gonna let in two and just coast to a 7-2 victory. The Red Wings front office who's been the best in the game the last two decades spent virtually Chris Osgood's entire Red Wings career trying to find anybody better to start in net for them because they understood he wasn't that great. Gerry Cheevers is another average goaltender who rode some coat tails of some of the best ever to Stanley Cups and the Hall of Fame.
Pretty much. I'd add Mike Vernon to this list as well.

And Brodeur.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
His first 6 years he was a 3rd and 4th liner.

Hell, just about anyone will respond if given more talented line mates.....that's not an earthy shattering observation.

In Boston he had Rolston as his 2nd line center and PJ Axelsson as his LWer, until he got bumped up after Samsonov got hurt. He then had Ivan Huml and Rob Zamuner as his LWer...and still managed to score 30 goals in his breakout year.

Those are NOT incredibly talented linemates.

After that he was pretty much on Philly's #1 line and averaged 31 goals over the next 4 years.....former Boston teammate Sergei Samsonov skated on the #1 line in Boston his entire tenure and has yet to hit the 30 goal barrier.....that was with Joe Thornton as his center.....and Samsonov was never the defensive player that Knuble was either.

Folks are seriously underrating Knuble around here.
Most of this is wrong. Thornton and Samsonov never skated together. Samsonov was part of the GAS line and once G and A moved on the top line in Boston was the 700 pound line, which included Thornton and Knuble.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
I wouldn't consider any NHLer to be lucky to actually be in the league, even the pluggers were elite players in their previous leagues before hitting the NHL. Hell, Laraque got 30 points in 46 games in the AHL and a 20-goal scorer in junior.
Now being considered lucky statistically is another story..

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Nicklin3011*

Burrows is a plug and is vastly overrated by the Vancouver fan base. There are about 75 players I would take over him. Hes just your average run of the mill player who happens to play with 2 superstars and bites and pulls hair. Sorry truth hurts sometimes.

Nicklin3011* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
What???

Any source to support this?

With most of their games starting at 10-10:30PM Eastern Time, I would be surprised if that was true.

Your reputation is going downhill fast.
This year they were the team to beat. They were also hated, and made it to the finals. They get enough exposure that any hockey fan can comment on their players. I doubt anyone here didn't see a decent number of games.

Because you failed trying to call me out in another thread. Ok .

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Bieber fever

Brodeur....

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

Grant Fuhr
Billy Smith
Henri Richard

amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJenner133 View Post
Burrows is a plug and is vastly overrated by the Vancouver fan base. There are about 75 players I would take over him. Hes just your average run of the mill player who happens to play with 2 superstars and bites and pulls hair. Sorry truth hurts sometimes.
Lol .

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Robbie Brown, case closed, or/.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Subban76

If they ever create an award for this, it will be called the "Komisarek" award. Unless they create one for the guy who disapeared the most after getting a beating (Lucic beating).

That guy should write a check of 50% of his salary to Markov for making him this rich.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:21 AM
battlingBard56

The ones answering "Broduer" are clowns, sorry. Go find another player to hate on, the "Broduer's a product of the system" chirps are getting old.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Shaolin

Byfuglien.

Playing in Chicago on the same line as Toews and Kane he hardly even had to skate half the time, and now he's partnered with one of the most underrated d-men in the league in Enstrom.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Moore Money

Burrows is one hell of a plug...

What an ignorant thing to say. lol

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Sticks and Pucks

What about Matt Moulson? I doubt he would be getting top line minutes on other teams.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
This year they were the team to beat. They were also hated, and made it to the finals. They get enough exposure that any hockey fan can comment on their players. I doubt anyone here didn't see a decent number of games.

Because you failed trying to call me out in another thread. Ok .
I know I watched a ton of canucks games but I don't live out east.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:51 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
And another thread calling Burrows a plug. He is now officially one of the most underrated players in the game.

For a plug he sure is lucky to be able to lead the league in SHG. And even more surprising that his GPG were higher 2 yrs ago without the Sedins that they were with it. The Sedins must be wizards being able to help this "plug" score from the bench.

Watch some more hockey before commenting.
lol?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:52 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJenner133 View Post
Remember when trolls used to be good? Well I actually don't but they're getting even worse nowadays.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote