HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

leafs rookies beat chicago rookies 4 to 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
  #76
grind your soul
Belak forever
 
grind your soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
I was sitting in section 102, just outside the icing line in the "Leafs shoot twice" zone to the right of the hard camera, so I saw every goal but one

Gardiner's two goals were weak goals, but the plays leading up to them showed that his skating ability is top notch. He can read a play well and, though it took him a bit to adjust to his teammates - most of whom were not on his skill level - he managed to take over the game within the last ten minutes.

- Ross was in every scrum but his actual play didn't impress me.
- I was looking out for McKegg all night and had a hard time finding him.
- Crescenzi had another decent but unspectacular game. He was quite physical but didn't do much with the puck.
- Frattin's wheels were in effect and he had a couple of shifts where he did great protecting the puck in the offensive zone. Physically it looked like he was a cut above most of the guys, but he didn't have any momentum-swinging shifts or chances.
- Mark in Da Park was solid while Sparks was really quite bad, fighting every puck.

Anyway, I tried to take some video of a couple guys' specific shifts, but ended up getting distracted or just using awful camera work. The only usable clips I ended up with were of fights, so... enjoy!



grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:46 AM
  #77
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post
I was sitting in section 102, just outside the icing line in the "Leafs shoot twice" zone to the right of the hard camera, so I saw every goal but one

Gardiner's two goals were weak goals, but the plays leading up to them showed that his skating ability is top notch. He can read a play well and, though it took him a bit to adjust to his teammates - most of whom were not on his skill level - he managed to take over the game within the last ten minutes.

- Ross was in every scrum but his actual play didn't impress me.
- I was looking out for McKegg all night and had a hard time finding him.
- Crescenzi had another decent but unspectacular game. He was quite physical but didn't do much with the puck.
- Frattin's wheels were in effect and he had a couple of shifts where he did great protecting the puck in the offensive zone. Physically it looked like he was a cut above most of the guys, but he didn't have any momentum-swinging shifts or chances.
- Mark in Da Park was solid while Sparks was really quite bad, fighting every puck.

Anyway, I tried to take some video of a couple guys' specific shifts, but ended up getting distracted or just using awful camera work. The only usable clips I ended up with were of fights, so... enjoy!


You were in 102 too?? I was in row 5 lol.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:46 AM
  #78
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
Some of you also need to keep in mind that some players may not be going full tilt because they know they are going to the main camp. This just isn't from a Maple Leafs end, but for every team in this tournament.

Frattin can be a wrecking ball, but I also don't expect him to go full out in these games for fear of potential injury. He wasn't throwing his body around like he can last night. He wasn't as feisty when he didn't have the puck as he could be. When he got the puck, he was running with it, but he was doing a bit more watching then he usually does from what I saw.

That being said, live viewings vs. television viewings give you a different perspective of a players game. You don't quite see the developing play as well as you do in person. So I also take that into consideration as I'm not there in person this year unfortunately.

It's hard to expect a player to give 110% when the GM has already talked him up about potentially stealing an NHL position.

That, and a lot of these players are shaking the rust. You can see many of them came out strong in the game (Ross, IMO) and then as the game progressed they started to fatigue. Even Gardiner wasn't all that great in terms of timing, but due to his skating he looked great in the late stages as others fatigued. There were plenty of players fanning on shots and passes that you normally wouldn't see in a regular season game.

What I'm trying to say is let's not get too swayed by one game on certain players (for better or worse). It seems to happen every year. Specifically, a game where a bunch of kids are thrown together, competing for spots, and expect them to play a team game. It's hard to judge accordingly.

Not to mention some players need higher skilled forwards to compliment their games.. and as you can tell from last night all the skill on the Maple Leaf rookies is on the back-end (IMO). The forwards are going to physically wear down opponents. There isn't much natural talent on the team in a Nazem Kadri type of fashion where they are going to be able to dangle their way through 3 players.

Hard to judge based on these games. I expect a better tempo tonight and hopefully a better flow.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
  #79
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
You were in 102 too?? I was in row 5 lol.
i was also in 102 but in row 16!

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
  #80
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Gardiner, Blacker, Frattin and Cresenzi were all quite impressive, but the guy who stood out to me the most was Kenny Ryan, solid in all situations, amazing defensively, speedster, PK specialist, and showed some untapped offensive ability. He got quite overlooked IMO.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
  #81
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Rick Dudley was on the Fan590 for about 15 minutes last night around midnight. He spoke a lot about the prospect game, here's what I recall:

-Frattin looked great, as if he was a seasoned pro
-He liked Ross's game, very aggressive
-Percy played really smart out there
-Owuya was very good in net
-Josh Leivo showed great instincts
-Didn't like the first half of Gardiners game, but he was good in the second half
-Olden played well, showed great raw ability
-Ryan played well (I think I recall him saying that)
-Devane looked good


Other Leaf stuff he touched on:

-Lombardi is coming around very nicely. He figures he may not be ready for camp, but expects him to play an important role this year. His skating will make the whole team faster.
-Tim Connolly is the right man for the job if he's healthy. When he used to scout Buffalo he'd mark him down as one of three "dynamic skilled" players on that team, says he can be a PPG guy
-Seems to think Kadri or Colborne could take a spot and centre this year
-Expects Paradis to play an important 3rd/4th line role. Great on the draw, plays with sandpaper, can PK, but also thinks he has more offensive ability than he was asked to use in Colorado and wouldn't look terribly out of place in a top-6 role in a pinch
-Very high on Frattin as well
-Reimer's ability to consistently hover around .920-.925 sv% at every level (AHL, NHL, WC) is a very encouraging sign
-While the East got better in general, expects this team to be in the playoffs IF the goaltending holds up

I guess if you really wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, you might note that Dudley spoke about the centre position in great detail and never once mentioned Tyler Bozak


And then he spoke a bit about September 11 and the recent crash in Russia


Last edited by arrbez: 09-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
  #82
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Not to mention some players need higher skilled forwards to compliment their games.. and as you can tell from last night all the skill on the Maple Leaf rookies is on the back-end (IMO). The forwards are going to physically wear down opponents. There isn't much natural talent on the team in a Nazem Kadri type of fashion where they are going to be able to dangle their way through 3 players.
I felt this was particularly true of Percy's game. Defensive-minded defenders in general can't do their job in such an unstructured game.

Schenn struggled as well in the Rookie Tournament, only to be amazing in the Main Camp. I'm expecting Percy to look much better in the main camp as well.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:24 AM
  #83
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Phillipe Paradis has unreal flow.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
  #84
grind your soul
Belak forever
 
grind your soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
i was also in 102 but in row 16!
Haha nice, two rows behind me. Pretty sure I heard some guys talking about HF behind me, it was likely you. Were you anywhere near the screaming five year old and his foul-mouthed dad who wouldn't stop trying to get a "GO LEAFS GO" chant going?

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
  #85
kilgro
Thank you Burke!
 
kilgro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post
Haha nice, two rows behind me. Pretty sure I heard some guys talking about HF behind me, it was likely you. Were you anywhere near the screaming five year old and his foul-mouthed dad who wouldn't stop trying to get a "GO LEAFS GO" chant going?
bahaha yea i was right behind him, what a goof. that was probably me and my buddies talking about hfboards. great seats

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
  #86
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Rick Dudley was on the Fan590 for about 15 minutes last night around midnight. He spoke a lot about the prospect game, here's what I recall:

-Expects Paradis to play an important 3rd/4th line role. Great on the draw, plays with sandpaper, can PK, but also thinks he has more offensive ability than he was asked to use in Colorado and wouldn't look terribly out of place in a top-6 role in a pinch
please explain? am I missing something?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
  #87
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
please explain? am I missing something?
Phillipe Dupuis not Phillipe Paradis is likely what was meant.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:11 PM
  #88
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Phillipe Dupuis not Phillipe Paradis is likely what was meant.
Thanks. It might have made more sense to me, had Paradis not played last night.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:13 PM
  #89
KingBuzzo
A custom title.
 
KingBuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner are not expected to dress tonight via mattiaboni's twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/mattiaboni/sta...36012665208833

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:16 PM
  #90
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner are not expected to dress tonight via mattiaboni's twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/mattiaboni/sta...36012665208833
They are "entitled" to a day off. #blueandwhitedisease

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
  #91
grind your soul
Belak forever
 
grind your soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Well that SUCKS, especially since the Pens are likely not dressing their "leaders" like Tangradi and perhaps Sneep or Strait. Oh well, will still be there cheering the Leafs on

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
  #92
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Some of you also need to keep in mind that some players may not be going full tilt because they know they are going to the main camp. This just isn't from a Maple Leafs end, but for every team in this tournament.

Frattin can be a wrecking ball, but I also don't expect him to go full out in these games for fear of potential injury. He wasn't throwing his body around like he can last night. He wasn't as feisty when he didn't have the puck as he could be. When he got the puck, he was running with it, but he was doing a bit more watching then he usually does from what I saw.

That being said, live viewings vs. television viewings give you a different perspective of a players game. You don't quite see the developing play as well as you do in person. So I also take that into consideration as I'm not there in person this year unfortunately.

It's hard to expect a player to give 110% when the GM has already talked him up about potentially stealing an NHL position.

That, and a lot of these players are shaking the rust. You can see many of them came out strong in the game (Ross, IMO) and then as the game progressed they started to fatigue. Even Gardiner wasn't all that great in terms of timing, but due to his skating he looked great in the late stages as others fatigued. There were plenty of players fanning on shots and passes that you normally wouldn't see in a regular season game.

What I'm trying to say is let's not get too swayed by one game on certain players (for better or worse). It seems to happen every year. Specifically, a game where a bunch of kids are thrown together, competing for spots, and expect them to play a team game. It's hard to judge accordingly.

Not to mention some players need higher skilled forwards to compliment their games.. and as you can tell from last night all the skill on the Maple Leaf rookies is on the back-end (IMO). The forwards are going to physically wear down opponents. There isn't much natural talent on the team in a Nazem Kadri type of fashion where they are going to be able to dangle their way through 3 players.

Hard to judge based on these games. I expect a better tempo tonight and hopefully a better flow.

We've seen this before. Kadri and Blacker were excellent in Kitchener couple of years ago, while both McKegg and Ross were impressive last year. The first year players, while lacking experience, pretty much go out and give there all, while older players in this tournament have one eye on the main camp in hopes of making the team. I imagine Frattin is thinking, get some valueable ice time at this tourney, but more importantly...dont get injured.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:32 PM
  #93
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner are not expected to dress tonight via mattiaboni's twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/mattiaboni/sta...36012665208833
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
They are "entitled" to a day off. #blueandwhitedisease
They didn't make the cut.

No sense overplaying them when there are some real bubble boys to try out.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
  #94
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,083
vCash: 50
Well that sucks, almost no point in watching this next game then . Though really does suck for those who bought tickets and the top reasons for the Leaf fans to go watch won't be there.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
  #95
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
I have no problem with those guys being scratched. Im just happy they are playing olden. Hopefully mckegg and nicholls get alot more ice time. Seemed like they were getting 4th line minutes

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
  #96
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I have no problem with those guys being scratched. Im just happy they are playing olden. Hopefully mckegg and nicholls get alot more ice time. Seemed like they were getting 4th line minutes
Half of your posts on this board and the prospects one are of you raving about Olden

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
  #97
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Half of your posts on this board and the prospects one are of you raving about Olden
I know. But hes worth raving about

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
  #98
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I think you completely took my post the wrong way. My point was, he's a young kid with a ways a long ways to go.

So you can shove your "relax" in a sack, with all your "sorries".
Here's another sorry for the sack, but I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a point beyond crapping on Sparks. My apologies. It sounded from your post like you expected a bit more from a kid who's never been a starter in the OHL and facing shooters with pro experience for the first time.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
  #99
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett
 
LeafsGuru93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TORONTO
Country: Greece
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
WTF!!! Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner are not playing?!?

Myself & other Leafs fans bought tickets so we can see our top guys & they aren't playing. FACKE I'm pissed!! More pissed about Gardiner, really like the guy & wanted to see him play.

hopefully it's a last change of heart & they get in there.

__________________
It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
  #100
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,492
vCash: 500
mirtle James Mirtle
So Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner all sitting for Leafs tonight in rookie camp game against Penguins.

well that sucks.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.