HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

leafs rookies beat chicago rookies 4 to 2

Old
09-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Dark Passenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
mirtle James Mirtle
So Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner all sitting for Leafs tonight in rookie camp game against Penguins.

well that sucks.

Brenner and Neuber are the other two forwards on the roster, Urban and Cowan are the extra defenders. Imagine they must be playing.
Not surprised they are doing this. Four players being rested, all performed well last night, so they likely want to give others a chance to shine.

Worth mentioning. Gardiner and Blacker actually collided with each other at the opposition blue line last night. Blacker wasnt skating freely after the incident and went straight to the dressing room. He came back later and looked to be fine. Could be some precaution here, also.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
How big is the roster? I didnt realize that they had 4 extra skaters to come in and replace them.
if i recall correctly we have 25 players going into this tournament, including the invitees.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

another player i want to check on is leivo and see why morrison was high on him

Old
09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
mirtle James Mirtle
So Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner all sitting for Leafs tonight in rookie camp game against Penguins.

well that sucks.
I'm so upset @ this. WHY are they sitting?!?! Fans bought ticket to see the players that expects have been raving about.

What's the point in going now.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
I'm so upset @ this. WHY are they sitting?!?! Fans bought ticket to see the players that expects have been raving about.

This isn't an event for the fans. It is nice to get to go and see any of the prospects but this tournament is for the young players and you are going to give more time to the players you know least about or who have the highest chance of going back to junior without much thought

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Brenner and Neuber are the other two forwards on the roster, Urban and Cowan are the extra defenders. Imagine they must be playing.
Not surprised they are doing this. Four players being rested, all performed well last night, so they likely want to give others a chance to shine.

Worth mentioning. Gardiner and Blacker actually collided with each other at the opposition blue line last night. Blacker wasnt skating freely after the incident and went straight to the dressing room. He came back later and looked to be fine. Could be some precaution here, also.
Very true and possibly give the new comers a chance to get a contract and give other players a chance to shine. My eyes will be glued to Olden, Mckegg and Leivo.

I guess they are also very likely giving a rest to those who will have a chance to compete in pre-season.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Understandable reason but even then this is for the good of the organization so really what can you do?

As they will give other players chance ot shine or other a chance to earn a contract.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
TheOriginalTiger
GOON

Quote:

Instead of huffing and puffing,,,find out why some of the other players are given a look??

Quote:
TORONTO - When his No. 85 matches his birth year, you know Dave Cowan is a little old to be at this Maple Leafs’ rookie camp.

But the Leafs thought they owed one to the big defenceman from Calgary, who set an unofficial record for the shortest season by a Leaf when he suffered a year-ending shoulder dislocation two games into the club’s 2010 freshman tournament last Sept. 12.

“Just heart-breaking,” Toronto coach Dallas Eakins said Friday at the MasterCard Centre. “Good kid comes here (on tryout) and takes a terrible hit. We want to give him the chance he didn’t get last year.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/09...cowan-to-shine

TheOriginalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
WTF!!! Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Kenny Ryan and Jake Gardiner are not playing?!?

Myself & other Leafs fans bought tickets so we can see our top guys & they aren't playing. FACKE I'm pissed!! More pissed about Gardiner, really like the guy & wanted to see him play.

hopefully it's a last change of heart & they get in there.
You'll still get a chance to see some good players and potential Leaf prospects.
Tickets are reasonable at $18 and $12 for kids/youths. I got tickets to all three games :-)

If you really want to go see Blacker, Gardiner and Frattin....you should go support the Marlies this year, as that is likely where they will be playing and they could use a few more fans at those games.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Fans bought tickets to see a rookie camp. It is a risk that the player you want to see won't dress. On the bright side, maybe you can get an autograph or picture. I once met Wendle Clarke because he wasn't dressed in the intersquad game I went to see at Maple Leaf Gardens.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Fans bought tickets to see a rookie camp. It is a risk that the player you want to see won't dress. On the bright side, maybe you can get an autograph or picture. I once met Wendle Clarke because he wasn't dressed in the intersquad game I went to see at Maple Leaf Gardens.
Wendel Clark, awesome!! I hope Jake Gardiner will be by the bench. I hope the leafs are the home team. I have seats right by the hallway.

Still, I would have loved to see Gardiner play tonight!

Last edited by LeafsGuru93: 09-11-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old
09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Wendel Clark, awesome!! I hope Jake Gardiner will be by the bench. I hope the leafs are the home team. I have seats right by the hallway.

Still, I would have loved to see Gardiner play tonight!
Go to a Marlie game.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I know. But hes worth raving about
Yep, so talented. Really hope he achieves his potential.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:09 PM
4evaBlue

I may know a guy who knows a guy (I can't get into trouble this way, right? ) who may have uploaded most of the 2nd period and all of the third, if someone's interested in watching / rewatching most of the game.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:16 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Why isn't Tyler Biggs playing in this tournament?

Old
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Gardiner would be playing vs Ottawa then right, since he's not playing tonight.

Old
09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Why isn't Tyler Biggs playing in this tournament?
University commitment, I think. Would have been great to see him in action though.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Cool Beans Man

I was there and was pretty impressed with the pace. Here's what I noticed if anyone is interested.

- Owuya was solid at finding the puck in traffic, otherwise he wasn't tested too much

- I thought Blacker and Gardiner were tremendous with the puck. For the first half of the game, I was more impressed with Blacker. However, my god Gardiner had a monster third and on his second goal he took over the game for a solid 20 seconds in the offensive zone

- Percy looked alright out there. A little uncomfortable with his puck on his stick in the offensive zone, but was solid on the breakout

- Frattin was the best forward in my opinion. He was doing incredible things with the puck. Was very balanced, and used his body extremely well protecting the puck. It was great to see

- Olden looked real solid out there. Played a smart game, and does he ever have wheels out there. Got pushed around a bit, especially for his size, but we all know he's a little aways away from being a solid pro

- Devane, while he fought and did score, seemed to be out of his league skating-wise, which is something we've been concerned about

- Leivo and Nicholls both worked pretty hard I thought...were involved in some plays on odd men rushes and tried to make things happen

- Broll hits everything that moves

- Ross played the pest game we've heard about. Very Tucker/Avery esque

- McKegg seemed rather uninvolved, but he made a nice rush late. I've always felt he can be a guy who doesn't do a ton at times, but shows flashes of brilliance

- Ryan was very well aware out there. Solid on the PK. And ofcourse the goal was really nice

- Oh and Carrick was fairly solid. Had some real high energy shifts out there

I think that's pretty much it. A lot has probably been discussed, just thought I'd share my views.

Last edited by Cool Beans Man: 09-11-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:24 PM
stavs

Quote:

good thing than that i went yesterday and wasted 40 minutes driving there instead of tonite

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
good thing than that i went yesterday and wasted 40 minutes driving there instead of tonite
Don't rub it in.

Old
09-11-2011, 03:32 PM
stavs

Quote:
Don't rub it in.
did u buy tickets already? If you did, know for next time to buy them at the box office 1 hour before the game. Saves you hassles and its cheaper... that way you can also know in advance the lineup

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Meandmyself

I'm really proud of those kids!!

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Some of the toughest guys to play in the NHL were under 6 feet. Domi is 5'8" max so I'm not sure of your point.
Are you suggesting that this kid on Chicago is an outlier sub-6' heavyweight like Tie Domi? Let's name a half dozen more and you may have a point. That should have been mismatch.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
did u buy tickets already? If you did, know for next time to buy them at the box office 1 hour before the game. Saves you hassles and its cheaper... that way you can also know in advance the lineup
yes, I did.

Still, I'm so upset that Gardiner & Blacker aren't playing.

it's not cheaper, they are $18.50.

Is it cheaper for leafs games @ the ACC if we do it that way?

Old
09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Kulemon

So all I'm really looking at today is Olden, McKegg, Percy, and Leivo. It's a shame that all of the main guys I was interested in watching besides Percy and Olden were taken out.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote