HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Consequences of Yaroslavl plane crash for the KHL

Old
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Consequences of Yaroslavl plane crash for the KHL

Let's keep this thread strictly business and discuss about the consequences of the Yaroslavl plane crash for the KHL and for the Russian hockey.

This is of course the biggest tragedy for Russian hockey ever and the biggest catastrophe for the sport of hockey in Russia since post 1991 mass exodus of the best Russian players to North America and western Europe.

For the city of Yaroslavl this means that they lost their entire professional hockey club. However, I see that there is a good chance that Yaroslavl will be able to ice a competitive hockey team quite soon. Yaroslavl has one of the best hockey schools in Russia and they have a solid financing from Russian Railways. If the same tragedy had happened in a town with weaker hockey fundamentals the situation would have been far more difficult. In 3-4 years Yaroslavl will be back as a contender in the KHL. They will keep developing their own talent and acquiring players from other teams.

For the KHL itself the consequences could be much graver. Right now the KHL is very dependent on foreign players. Russia does not produce enough players for a 24-team professional league. Therefore the KHL needs at least 4-5 competent foreign players per team to have a good product on the ice.

This tragedy could have a big impact how foreign players view the KHL in the future. The KHL could have to overpay foreigners even more than they do now to have them play in Russia. Many could refuse to come at all even if given all the money in the world. The KHL could find itself in a position where it has difficult time luring good foreign players to Russia compared to today's situation, where almost every player not good enough for the NHL are playing in the KHL.

In a long run this could be even good for Russian hockey. I don't think the KHL should be as dependent as foreigners as it is now. Russia needs a stronger player development system. The teams need to focus more on developing their own players instead of just luring foreigners with big money. Russian player development has been in a steady decline for a while and one of the main reasons for this is that the teams do not focus enough of player development.

I can accept that I can be exaggerating and blowing things out of proportion. It is possible that the Yaroslavl plane crash will not have a decisive effect how foreign players see the KHL. They could still come to play in Russia if given enough money. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Peter25: 09-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

The question that keeps crossing my mind throughout this whole ordeal is, how do the KHL and the hockey world for that matter, help Yaroslavl survive for the time being? Obviously with this accident happening days before the season opener the chances of them being able to field a team at all are slim and if not slim there is no chance at all.

In all likelihood they will suspend operations for the season, but what i want to know is what happens in the off-season? do they basically hold an expansion draft and give Yaroslavl players from other teams as well as free agents?

Also I'd like to know what happens to the games Yaroslavl was slated to plan in...do they just get erased, and have the team slated to play them play someone else, or simply forfeit? So many questions come to my mind about something like this. So sad.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I suppose this is also business related,

But what exactly are they going to do? Surely you can't build the team on Juniors...

I am under the BELIEF that the NHL does a re-draft of sorts, will the KHL employ a similar system?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I suppose this is also business related,

But what exactly are they going to do? Surely you can't build the team on Juniors...

I am under the BELIEF that the NHL does a re-draft of sorts, will the KHL employ a similar system?
One of the suggestions was that every club in the league would simply loan Lokomotiv a player for the year. According to Yaroslavl Governor, the clubs have already offered to help to build them a good enough club to compete this season.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
One of the suggestions was that every club in the league would simply loan Lokomotiv a player for the year. According to Yaroslavl Governor, the clubs have already offered to help to build them a good enough club to compete this season.
That would be a fantastic gesture, but how good these loan players actually would be? If every team offers their 13th forward or fourth pairing dman, I can't see them being competative at all. The season has already started and unfortunately it's hard to see a way how they could field a hockey team that doesn't consist of junior players. Most of the teams probably can't even afford to give up any spare players at all so a lot will depend on the biggest leagues clubs. maybe it's for the best, that they take a year off?

On a side note, it's refreshing to see that somewhere deep down in Peter25 lies a rational man and not just a complete homer.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Seriously, this happened yesterday. Give them at least a few days to mourn their loss before having to assess how to move on. I'm sure that one of two things will happen...

1 - The team is a forfeit for the year and everyone gets a bye against them.

2 - They are lent players to supplement their junior team and they play on as best they can.

Either way the idea of them having any sort of team comparable to the one they have just lost is completely out of the question. It will be a cobbled together team that will struggle or maybe it would be better if they just didn't play at all and work on rebuilding their franchise for next season.

The KHL as an organization has a responsibility to the rest of the league to make sure the season does go ahead but I am sure that no-one will begrudge them pushing the start of the season back a few weeks in the wake of this tragedy.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

In the event their season is canceled, could it be possible that the first overall pick be awarded to them next year?

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Robotic

Maybe players who grew up in the Yaroslavl system (which is many good players) will be loaned to the club.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:47 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
In the event their season is canceled, could it be possible that the first overall pick be awarded to them next year?
I'm 99% sure they would. It would basically be treated as if they were an expansion team except in reality they were a team that had to put things on hold for a year due to tragedy.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
The thing is that KHL draft #1 pick doesn't give you possibility to take a sure future star - almost all good players grow from hockey schools that are connected to now KHL clubs. This won't change much. Players trained in Loko's system returning to their home makes more sence.

Quote:
If every team offers their 13th forward or fourth pairing dman, I can't see them being competative at all
I think they have at least some class...

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:45 AM
v-man

For this season, the respectful thing to do would be to not ice a team, just adjust the schedule to make up for the lost games. Icing a hastily hacked together team would just be saying to the families that business is more important than lives, and everyone is replaceable.

Maybe the All-Star game can be played in home and away Locomotiv uniforms as a tribute, although I'm more than sure there will be some sort of league wide patch/sticker worn throughout the year.

After this season though, there should be no problem replacing the team. There are still a lot of NHL/KHL caliber free agents around, and a lot of them would not hesitate to play there. Add to that Locos development depth, it shouldn't be more than a year or two before they're back near the top.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:47 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I kinda wonder, are they going to just not going to play this year with a whole new team or we wonder where Alexander Galimov will play for the season if hes fine?

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Night_Vole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I kinda wonder, are they going to just not going to play this year with a whole new team or we wonder where Alexander Galimov will play for the season if hes fine?
Nah guy is done, 80% of his body is burnt. He will be lucky if he can have some semblance of a normal life.

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:40 AM
alko

Some draft should be done.

Lets say, every team can protect maximum 10 players and from others can Jaroslavl select, who they want.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:28 AM
slovakiasnextone

I like the idea of players who grew up in Yaroslavl playing the season in honor of those who have died. I think it would be a respectful gesture to the families and clsoe ones of the victims.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
For this season, the respectful thing to do would be to not ice a team, just adjust the schedule to make up for the lost games. Icing a hastily hacked together team would just be saying to the families that business is more important than lives, and everyone is replaceable.

Maybe the All-Star game can be played in home and away Locomotiv uniforms as a tribute, although I'm more than sure there will be some sort of league wide patch/sticker worn throughout the year.

After this season though, there should be no problem replacing the team. There are still a lot of NHL/KHL caliber free agents around, and a lot of them would not hesitate to play there. Add to that Locos development depth, it shouldn't be more than a year or two before they're back near the top.
I appreciate your angle here but I just don't agree. It's not so cut and dry and implicitly offensive. You can make the argument that they'd have wanted to ice a team and that doing so is respecting them or something like that. This situation is already well beyond a shame, giving the people of Yaroslavl something to be excited is very important, I think at least.

It's sort of like after Hurricane Katrina no one knew what to do with sports teams there. The owner of the Saints got himself some bad press and they thought about moving the team. Instead they came back and with their play gave the city something to latch onto in a time where things were really bad in people's lives. You really need those uplifting things during trying times and sports is just so effective at it.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:41 AM
thomast

Is there many players in KHL who grew up in yaroslav?

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Elite prospects / place of birth

http://www.eliteprospects.com/birthp...Yaroslavl, RUS

Blackhawks draft pick Barkunov (151/2000) last played in the VHL.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
perklunt
qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Is there many players in KHL who grew up in yaroslav?
yea, but thats not the case, as i heard many players who played there for a long time is ready to return, as Drozd and Irgl from Dynoamo Minsk, already confirmed that they r ready to play for Loko.

perklunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
EHCler

I think it is very important that Yarolavl somehow can field a hockey team sometime this season. Sure it will not be a top team but have at least some people who will play this season in honour of the players lost in the tragic accident. If possible those should be players who had relationship to the club and region.

Despite the tragic accident in my eyes noone it is in noones interest if the sit out the season.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
I'm 99% sure they would. It would basically be treated as if they were an expansion team except in reality they were a team that had to put things on hold for a year due to tragedy.
Poprad didn't get the first overall pick last year and yet they were an expansion team.

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Poprad didn't get the first overall pick last year and yet they were an expansion team.
There's no use of the first round pick because the good players are already in NA or already belong to big hokey schools like all those CSKA young stars... all you can get from draft are players for the MHL team and/or 4th line.... at least in first 2 years or so.

Anyway... I don't think this will affect KHL much in long term. Sure TSN and other enemies of Russia are jumping at a chance to badmouth KHL etc. Being Latvian I'm not exactly one of those who'd always cry out "Russia, the beautiful" but I really hate all this what's happening right now... with big NA sports networks coming up with crazy theories of how unsafe flying in Russia is and how foreign players won't ever come to KHL again. The problem with these stories is 1) I haven't heard any complains about planes either from Dinamo Riga or other KHL players before 2) YAK 42 was one of the safest Russian planes and it was specially designed and improved for the hockey team = it was not ''bound to happen'', it was just a tragic and terrible accident. But NA press is using this terrible tragedy badmouthing KHL and bringing us stories from some guys who say flying in Russia was like playing Russian roulette.

I'm not saying Russia doesn't need to improve things and this is a good reason to look into the whole system but I doubt this tragedy says anything more than the fact that accidents happen. It's a tragedy but Lokomotiv team will love, the league will continue to grow and players will continue to play. It's only said that Lokomotiv made such a nice team webpage, improved their arena for their fans, made sure that everything would be much better for this season.... and then came this. It was also shocking to see how good the Opening Cup game looked... great quality of play, great coverage and tv picture.... and then this happened

And you don't need to worry about Russia's hockey resources as the players who started to train in 2000s are coming in when there were a lot of new ice rinks built and economic situation got better so the quality of Russian prospects will only improve year by year, the same goes for Latvia... you'll see a few first round prospects from us in the coming years...

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
wjhl2009fan

Latgale_fan
While i think some network are going on a bit to much the thing is it can be a good thing it bring to light this awful accident and maybe changes need to be made to how planes are kept up etc

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
There's no use of the first round pick because the good players are already in NA or already belong to big hokey schools like all those CSKA young stars... all you can get from draft are players for the MHL team and/or 4th line.... at least in first 2 years or so.

Anyway... I don't think this will affect KHL much in long term. Sure TSN and other enemies of Russia are jumping at a chance to badmouth KHL etc. Being Latvian I'm not exactly one of those who'd always cry out "Russia, the beautiful" but I really hate all this what's happening right now... with big NA sports networks coming up with crazy theories of how unsafe flying in Russia is and how foreign players won't ever come to KHL again. The problem with these stories is 1) I haven't heard any complains about planes either from Dinamo Riga or other KHL players before 2) YAK 42 was one of the safest Russian planes and it was specially designed and improved for the hockey team = it was not ''bound to happen'', it was just a tragic and terrible accident. But NA press is using this terrible tragedy badmouthing KHL and bringing us stories from some guys who say flying in Russia was like playing Russian roulette.

I'm not saying Russia doesn't need to improve things and this is a good reason to look into the whole system but I doubt this tragedy says anything more than the fact that accidents happen. It's a tragedy but Lokomotiv team will love, the league will continue to grow and players will continue to play. It's only said that Lokomotiv made such a nice team webpage, improved their arena for their fans, made sure that everything would be much better for this season.... and then came this. It was also shocking to see how good the Opening Cup game looked... great quality of play, great coverage and tv picture.... and then this happened

And you don't need to worry about Russia's hockey resources as the players who started to train in 2000s are coming in when there were a lot of new ice rinks built and economic situation got better so the quality of Russian prospects will only improve year by year, the same goes for Latvia... you'll see a few first round prospects from us in the coming years...
It's really not a time to search for enemies.

BTW. Where are those stories about how bad Russia is according to "enemies"?
NHL.com is filled with tribute videos.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
It's really not a time to search for enemies.

BTW. Where are those stories about how bad Russia is according to "enemies"?
NHL.com is filled with tribute videos.
I've noticed it coming not from ESPN but from Canadian media. Not bad stories as much as backhanded comments.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote