HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Marc Savard

Old
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
begbeee

vCash: 500
Marc Savard

Marc Savard is almost retired, it's very unlikely that he will play hockey ever again. Feelin' sorry for him...but now I'm interested in some questions...

How good he was? What kind of career he put together?
Was he worthy of his SC? Was he really a 1st line elite center or just above-average? Were his skills recognized? Was he overrated or underrated?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:58 AM
iceman662011
Rookie User

I might be a little biased as a Bruins fan however I think Marc was an elite playmaker for a couple of seasons.
2005-06 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 82 28 69 97 100
2006-07 Boston Bruins NHL 82 22 74 96 96

706 NHL points is he a hall of famer? NO, but Marc Savard had a very good NHL carrer (if it is over)

iceman662011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Infinite Vision*

I'd say he is and always has been an underrated player. One of the best offensive players in the world before concussions ruined him. Take a look at this list of points per game from his breakout season in 03-04, until 08-09, his last season before the concussions derailed his career. He was definitely an elite first line center.

Among players who actually played in all seasons from 03-04 til 08-09, only Alfredsson and Thornton are ahead of him, and it's by slim margins.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...oints_per_game

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:10 PM
seventieslord

At his peak, about as good as Peak Pierre Turgeon, but less goalscoring, more playmaking. Similar in other areas as well. Peak was half as long as Turgeon's, though.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:04 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
At his peak, about as good as Peak Pierre Turgeon, but less goalscoring, more playmaking. Similar in other areas as well. Peak was half as long as Turgeon's, though.
ya, pretty much that

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think a big stylistic difference between them is that Turgeon was a Lady Byng player, for better or worse, while Savard had a rep for taking a lot of bad penalties, at least in Atlanta.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Puckgenius*

In his prime he was a top 5 playmaker in the league. The guy has unreal hands and offensive vision.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think a big stylistic difference between them is that Turgeon was a Lady Byng player, for better or worse, while Savard had a rep for taking a lot of bad penalties, at least in Atlanta.
This is true. He played a pretty chippy game at times, but damn could he pass.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:24 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Trigger View Post
I'd say he is and always has been an underrated player. One of the best offensive players in the world before concussions ruined him. Take a look at this list of points per game from his breakout season in 03-04, until 08-09, his last season before the concussions derailed his career. He was definitely an elite first line center.

Among players who actually played in all seasons from 03-04 til 08-09, only Alfredsson and Thornton are ahead of him, and it's by slim margins.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...oints_per_game
Most accurate depiction of Savard imo. He was an elite playmaker for a few years and never really seemed to get recognized as such. It's too bad he might never play again, hopefully he can live a healthy, symptom free life outside of hockey. Always was a big Savard fan and wish him all the best going forward. I think his best bet is to hang them up and focus on his children now, while he is still capable of doing so.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Easily one of the best playmakers of the past decade, up there with Thornton and Crosby in that respect.

The rest of his game was a bit lacking. He is smallish and not a great defensive player. I'm not sure if "waterbug" quite applies to Savard but it's close. He generates elite-level points for sure, but is well behind true elite centers in terms of roundedness.

Also, he is a bit of a pest. Yaps a lot, agitates, plays with an emotional edge. He was the guy Colin Campbell called a "faker" in the infamous email. But then you see his OT goal in the '10 playoffs and it's pure emotion pouring out of him. Very interesting character indeed.

Putting him on the Cup was the right thing to do. In terms of legacy, he's going to end up somewhat forgotten considering the very high level of play he showed for several years.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Easily one of the best playmakers of the past decade, up there with Thornton and Crosby in that respect.

The rest of his game was a bit lacking. He is smallish and not a great defensive player. I'm not sure if "waterbug" quite applies to Savard but it's close. He generates elite-level points for sure, but is well behind true elite centers in terms of roundedness.

Also, he is a bit of a pest. Yaps a lot, agitates, plays with an emotional edge. He was the guy Colin Campbell called a "faker" in the infamous email. But then you see his OT goal in the '10 playoffs and it's pure emotion pouring out of him. Very interesting character indeed.

Putting him on the Cup was the right thing to do. In terms of legacy, he's going to end up somewhat forgotten considering the very high level of play he showed for several years.
Agreed. I feel like he'll be remembered like other playmaking centers whose prime was short with just one or two top 10 finishes to show for it: Mike Rogers, Jason Allison, Alexei Zhamnov, Craig Janney, Jimmy Carson, Barry Pederson, Mike Rogers, Dennis Maruk, Guy Chouinard, Murray Oliver, Bill Hay, Don Mckenney, etc. I feel like he was more elite than some of these names but we'll never know if his peak would've gone on longer thanks to that ****** Cooke.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:55 AM
vecens24

I think Jason Allison might be his best career comparable. Neither was all that good defensively, neither were all that good of goal scoters in the grand scheme, but for a three or so year window they were among the best playmakers in the world.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Always liked Savard. He was a tremendous playmaker. To bad about all the concussions though. They certainly ruined his career.

09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
begbeee

What about his comparision to J. Spezza. Does it make any sense?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:06 PM
vadim sharifijanov

from what sens fans are saying, spezza is rounding out his game in a way that savard never did.

i think savard's early reputation as a lazy malingerer followed him almost until the end and prevented him from getting his due as a rich man's janney in boston. borderline top ten offensive talent in the league for a very short peak while brining little else to the table? jason allison seems like a perfect comparison, legacy-wise.

as for the cup? seems like he was a well-liked guy in the room and an important part of that team even off the ice. basically the opposite of his time in calgary and, if rumours are to believed, in atlanta too. i'm happy for him. if this is indeed the end of his career, then the cup is bittersweet obviously. but they don't put every guy who was out for the season on the cup; if boston thought enough of him as a part of the team to push for it, i think that says something about how he turned his career around and it's a nice redemption story.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:10 AM
brianscot

One of the things Andy Brickley always pointed out during Bruin's telecasts is how Savard's game became much more rounded under Claude Julien.

No, he didn't wake up and become Bryan Trottier, but playing on a contending team seemed to awaken his sense that the ice is 200 feet.

My main Savard image (besides the pure joy displayed when scoring the game winner against Philly) is how ridiculously quick his decision making was during the powerplay.

When it came to offensive imagination, Savard was typically two seconds ahead of most everyone else.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote