HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst players on a breakaway?

Old
09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
How about Mike Grier?
if he ever learns to raise the puck, he'd be much better. Brett Lindros also couldn't raise the puck.

I think Jason Allison should be added. The only player I've ever seen who was almost caught from behind on a shootout attempt.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I was gonna post Russ, but I could be misremembering. He seemed like a player who must of had his share of breakaways, his speed was out of this world, but seemed to out skate the puck and his hands on a regular basis, I can't remember too many breakaways of his, but if I were to guess, he had a few and likely wasn't great on them.

Any one care to chime in on Russ here? Was his finishing ability as poor as I remember?
It was as poor as you remember. He scored 30 goals once. He was a guy always flying over the ice, you recognized him for sure, but not for his great plays either.

Another name popping into my head is Alex Daigle. In his shortened career does anyone remember his reputation on breakaways? He had blinding speed but hands of stone. I just can't picture it with him

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:56 PM
capebretoncanadien

I recall Plekanec being meh last year on breakaways especially shorthanded. He's a fast little bugger and generates them often. Typically goes shelf wrister IIRC but they don't ever seem to go in for him. He's definitely not very good at shootouts either.

It's weird cause he's a lock for 20 every year and has an above average shot with good accuracy.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Stephen

I remember that Robert Reichel penalty shot against Cechmanek when he wound up and blasted it into his chest, like he could but it through him, haha...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I remember that Robert Reichel penalty shot against Cechmanek when he wound up and blasted it into his chest, like he could but it through him, haha...
Was Reichel normally bad at breakaways? The only "breakaway" I remember him from was the penalty shot in 1998...did he just get lucky?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Was Reichel normally bad at breakaways? The only "breakaway" I remember him from was the penalty shot in 1998...did he just get lucky?
He certainly made a big impression. I actually don't remember him on the breakaway much, he wasn't exactly a roadrunner by the time he got to the Leafs...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
BestRussian71*

Chris conner. I was so excited when the pens didn't resign him during the off season even though he was Bylsma's dream player; no real skill, tries to be physical but works his butt off every shift.

He had a break away where he fell over and didn't even shoot the puck.

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Also if you want to call it a "breakaway" he was the player robbed by McLean in Game 7 of the 1994 overtime Canucks/Flames classic. Although that was more of a two-on-one. That being said, I don't have a mental picture of how he was on breaks either

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Joe McGrath

Eric Staal is not good at breakaways. He should be, but he isn't.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Two funny ones off the top of my head.

During his Columbus tenure, Mike Sillinger once got a breakaway despite not having a stick. He lost it in the neutral zone, then got stranded on a dump-in. The defenseman didn't realize that Sillinger was without a stick and hit him with a perfect pass in the skates. Of course, since the rule says that you can't kick the puck directly off the goalie and into the net, he skated in and then kicked the puck into the corner.

In his first career win, which was a shootout (8-7 or 7-6 in OT), Darren Madeley of Ottawa stoned Teemu Selanne in the last 0:10 of regulation. He came in in relief of...I think it was Craig Billington to start the third period. Madeley didn't allow a goal, and Ottawa won it in overtime.

The funny thing was that Madeley gave an interview a couple years later and was asked about it. He said something like "I'd spent the last year in the AHL and didn't have a book on Selanne, and the new season had just started so I still didn't. Also, I didn't know it was him on the breakaway, because if I did, I'd probably have been crying in the fetal position in the corner instead of trying to stop him."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He could have been onto something. When he was with Minnesota, Alexandre Daigle got a breakaway and took a slap shot from the top of the circle, and somehow it went in. And I mean that it was actually the top of a circle, so there wasn't any type of angle for him either.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 836
Jason Chimera

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
if he ever learns to raise the puck, he'd be much better. Brett Lindros also couldn't raise the puck.
I'd never seen a slow as molasses player get so many breakaways in my life.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Grave77digger

Evgeni Malkin

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer