HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011-2012 Washington Capitals Prospects Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Great, he had three assists in the final last year. What did he do this year? Coasted. The only reason Russia didn't get blown out of the building was their goalie. But hey, he got the MVP....like I said he'll fit right in. Get an MVP while someone else takes home the actual championship.

Don't play stupid. The Caps are loaded with allegedly high value prospects and many of them (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Carlson, Alzner etc) have played in that tournament. It hasn't translated to any kind of success at the NHL level has it? This year it looks like they may not even wait til the playoffs to bomb, considering how badly the team is underachieving overall.

Bah....
Um, yes. It has translated to success at the NHL level.

Kuznetsov completely dominated the medal rounds last year--and was Russia's best player this year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:37 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888

0:33 Great steal by Kuznetsov in front of net.
0:53 Great assist by Kuznetsov, if he can do this with Ovechkin...
3:34 Not afraid to drive net and scores.
4:20 Speeds his way past defenseman, draws hooking call, the speed
4:40 Sees turnover and tries to get back, see his unique stride that is ****ing fast.

There was a shoot out, I don't know if he was the first shooter who missed...

This kid has speed.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:57 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
There was a shoot out, I don't know if he was the first shooter who missed...
yeah, he was the first shooter.

He missed wide on his typical move to the far post, coming from the right wing. Not sure whether the goalie got a piece of that or not.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Um, yes. It has translated to success at the NHL level.

Kuznetsov completely dominated the medal rounds last year--and was Russia's best player this year.
If by success at the NHL level you meant "unable to get past the second round of the playoffs and massively underachieving to date this season" then yes I suppose I would agree with you.

Sorry I'm not drooling anymore at how prospects are doing. I want results at the major level. And despite his stats, he was invisible for 95% of that final game vs. Sweden. Kind of like how some of our current stars tend to disappear for shifts, periods, or games at a time, particularly in the playoffs. But to each his own.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Sorry I'm not drooling anymore at how prospects are doing. I want results at the major level. And despite his stats, he was invisible for 95% of that final game vs. Sweden. Kind of like how some of our current stars tend to disappear for shifts, periods, or games at a time, particularly in the playoffs. But to each his own.
He and Yakupov were Russia's best skaters in the final (the best player was Makarov, no doubt). Also don't forget the beauty pass at ~59:30 that could've sealed the game.

And if you've followed all Russian games this year you would've seen that Kuz was carrying this team on his back: PK, PP, ES, tons of ice-time.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Cush
-inator

Kuznetsov w/ a goal in a 2 - 1 SO loss (also scored in the SO)

goal starts at about 1:45 // SO goal at about 3:39

Last edited by Cush: 01-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Last year was last year.
So be a stud all the time or none of the time then...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
sk84fun_dc

TV programming note: College Hockey/Caps prospect

UMD vs UNO on NBCSN (formerly known as Versus) at 7:30pm tonight.

Yes, Caps game is on at same time, well, maybe the 1/2 hour start difference will help, but if you want a look at Caps prospect/draft pick Caleb Herbert.

Herbert wears #21 for UMD.

Another Caps draft pick, Brent Gwidt (#25) (my understanding is that the Caps released his rights,) plays for UNO.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
If by success at the NHL level you meant "unable to get past the second round of the playoffs and massively underachieving to date this season" then yes I suppose I would agree with you.

By success at the NHL level, I mean 4 SE division championships/playoff appearances, a President's Trophy, a couple of Harts and Richards, 3 Lindsays, and plenty of other individual honors.

You want to see a team whose parade of highly rated prospects hasn't done **** at the NHL level? Look at Edmonton, or Columbus, or St. Louis, or Montreal, or any number of other teams that wish they could have the success the Caps have had.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Herbert playing the left point on one of the UMD PP units. One assist fourteen minutes in.

UMD has a number of smaller but strong and skilled undrafted forwards in Connolly, Brown & Oleksuk.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Dynamo81

Kuznetsov has always been a man for the big occasion. Russia completley ran out of gas in the Final this year at the WJC. Last year they were also out of gas but he managed to carry the team in the final period for final assault at the title. He still mauled Canada grabbing a hat trick after Russia played a tough OT win over the Czechs the night before.

In terms of the KHL he is very exciting to watch and an amazing prospect. knock wood.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Scotty Bowman:
Quote:
"I was at the world juniors and apparently [Evgeny] Kuznetsov is going to Washington next year so they've got a real good one there. He's a nice kid, speaks a little bit of English and he's married already. When you're in the top 10 of KHL scoring at that age, that's some-thing. Not really much risk where they chose him, I guess, [26th over-all in 2010] but looks like it's going to pay off."

Old
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
How did Herbert look in that game? I've been hearing good things about him lately.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

I only watched parts but he was just alright. I thought he'd be faster given my recollection. In that setting he's not quite there yet--not shocking given that he's a freshman--though his sense and skill plays just the same. He needs another year or two to really thrive at that level and hopefully he can take that next step in his all-around game. Next year should be a big test in thriving without some of their more dominant forwards.

Gord Miller said that teammate JT Brown, who had a hat trick in the game, could have as many as 20 NHL offers. He and Oleksuk should definitely warrant NHL contracts.

Old
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

Thanks for the info. Langway. I missed the UMD UNO game, thought the DVR was set and it wasn't (oops); UMD lost tonight to UNO, 3-1, ending an unbeaten streak at 17 games. Herbert had another assist (and an elbowing penalty) tonight; he has 7 goals and 12 assists in 22 games played.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:29 PM
sk84fun_dc

GoldenGopherHky

"Senior Nick Larson broke his wrist in the first period last Saturday. He will have surgery tomorrow. There is no timetable for his return."

So Caps prospects:

Burke out with hand injury
Galiev out with wrist injury
Larson out with wrist injury

Sam Carrier, Baie Comeau, missed yesterday's game due to injury. link

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 01-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
helicecopter

Today Traktor faced SKA, top team of the league so far.

Just finished watching the game, and Kuznetsov kind of took over the game in the 3rd period.

Down 0-1 after 2 periods, scored 2 goals and went inches away from the hattrick twice (the second time pulled the Forsberg move going on the goaltender while backchecked by a defenseman and the puck just didn't slide fast enough beyond the goal line.. the goalie was eventually able to deflect it on the post).

Then had the only assist on the empty netter. Not too shabby.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Old
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Today Traktor faced SKA, top team of the league so far.

Just finished watching the game, and Kuznetsov kind of took over the game in the 3rd period.

Down 0-1 after 2 periods, scored 2 goals and went inches away from the hattrick twice (the second time pulled the Forsberg move going on the goaltender while backchecked by a defenseman and the puck just didn't slide fast enough beyond the goal line.. the goalie was eventually able to deflect it on the post).

Then had the only assist on the empty netter. Not too shabby.
Okay, help me out here. Is there any way the Capitals can get him over here this season ala Orlov last year, and I'm not talking to Hershey either.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Was that "We will rock you" in Russian at the end of the first video.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:30 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Okay, help me out here. Is there any way the Capitals can get him over here this season ala Orlov last year, and I'm not talking to Hershey either.
No, he will not play in the NHL this season. He will not sign a contract to play in the NHL for this season; even if he was interested and there's no indication that he is, it's not going to happen because with the current CBA rules, he would have to go through waivers.

If you are talking 'ala Orlov', you are talking about Hershey and technically yes that's possible, but no, it's not realistic. KHL playoffs and World Championships likely plus my assumption that it is unlikely Kuznetsov would agree to a stint with Hershey, even if those other two timeline issues didn't exist.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:46 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
No, he will not play in the NHL this season. He will not sign a contract to play in the NHL for this season; even if he was interested and there's no indication that he is, it's not going to happen because with the current CBA rules, he would have to go through waivers.

If you are talking 'ala Orlov', you are talking about Hershey and technically yes that's possible, but no, it's not realistic. KHL playoffs and World Championships likely plus my assumption that it is unlikely Kuznetsov would agree to a stint with Hershey, even if those other two timeline issues didn't exist.
Thanks skate, not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

In agreement with sk8 on this one. CBA prevents him from joining the Capitals this season, and Hershey seems unrealistic for a variety of reasons. Orlov's team (Metallurg) was one of the KHL's worst last season, and was way out of the playoffs. Since he wasn't traded in the KHL, he made the jump to the AHL after the KHL season ended.

Traktor, on the other hand, is in 1st place in their conference and second in the KHL behind the team they just beat (SKA). So Evgeny will be in Russia for the KHL playoffs at least. He's also pretty much a guaranteed invite to the World Championships for Russia, and I highly doubt he'd turn that down (nor do I really think that Hershey would be better for his development than the WCs).

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

He can come over, Orlov could of come over, but the Capitals chose to make him go to the AHL and signed him March 2nd, but Kuznetsov's team is out of the playoffs by March 1st, he can play for the Capitals this season.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
He can come over, Orlov could of come over, but the Capitals chose to make him go to the AHL and signed him March 2nd, but Kuznetsov's team is out of the playoffs by March 1st, he can play for the Capitals this season.
This is simply not true. If a player plays in Europe then signs a contract with an NHL team in the same season, he has to pass through waivers before he can play in the NHL. Orlov signed a PTO with Hershey instead of beginning his NHL contract for a reason, regardless of whether or not he was ready for the NHL.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote