HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011-2012 Washington Capitals Prospects Thread

Old
12-02-2011, 10:01 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
NCAA Hockey - Caps prospect/draft pick updates:

Travis Boyd assisted on a goal by Nick Larson (Minnesota's 2nd goal) in Minnesota's 4-2 win over Minnesota State

Caleb Herbert was even in a 5-3 UMD win over Mich Tech

Greg Burke had UNH's first goal in a 3-2 loss to UMass Lowell; 2nd game in a row with a goal for Burke and he now has points in 5 of his last 6 games.

Pat Koudys was -2 in RPIs 5-3 loss to Princeton

Q update:

Sam Carrier and Baie-Comeau win, Carrier +; after 25 GP 5G 18A 23 Pts +4 23 PIMs

link to Carrier's game log

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 12-02-2011 at 10:11 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
sk84fun_dc

Prospect Update for a couple of Hockey East players:

Patrick Wey: dman, BC junior: Good news – His injury (severed tendon in right foot) happened during 10/22 game, he had surgery on 10/24 and original reports were approx. 6-8 weeks, so it was the right time for an update if all was going well and the good news is that there is an update. Sounds like it’s possible he could return by holiday tournament time.

Was nice to find the reports that he has been skating for about a week:

According to bchockeyblog1 (twitter account, also a blog):

"Pat Wey practiced today in a medical jersey for the first time in a month but is doubtful for tomorrow." (Dec 8) (sounds to me like this was practicing with the team)

And according to Melissa Wade @HockeyPhotos

"…Saw Patrick Wey & he started skating this week. Not back anytime soon, but good step forward." (twitter on Dec 3)

Greg Burke, junior at UNH, had a slow start to the season, but now has 3 goals in his last 4 games and points in 6 of his last 8 games. He has been playing center and left wing.

Old
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

Looking at the game sheets, RPI dman Pat Koudys didn't play in today's 5-2 loss to Union.

UMD's Caleb Herbert continued his freshman scoring campaign last night, scoring the tying goal in a 3-3 tie with Wisconsin. He has points in 7 of his last 8 games and has at least a point in 12 of his 17 games for a total of 7g/9a.

In the WHL, goalie Brandon Anderson should see more playing time since Boes is out with a broken hand. Had a good game last night making 40 saves with some info. here.

Old
12-10-2011, 09:01 PM
sk84fun_dc

In the Q, Sam Carrier with a PPG in a 4-0 win (he scored the second goal); 26 points and +5 in 29 games played.

Garrett Haar with 1a/+1 in a 6-1 win WMU over Bowling Green.

Looks like both Boyd and Larson are not playing for Minnesota tonight against Michigan Tech. Figures, since I was recording the game.

Herbert playing for UMD against Wisconsin; UMD is up 3-0.

Old
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
He might have grown which is a great thing for us. 6'3 makes him the same height as Russian counterpart Malkin.
nah, he looks smaller than Malkin..

btw, today he was scoreless in regulation but i think he got both SO goals for his team, so i guess that counts for one more GWG on the season.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Any update on where Soberg is playing this year since he decided to return to Europe? Will he represent Norway at the WJC?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

No idea. No info online. Maybe nowhere.

Norway is in the B pool this year--it's already underway--and he isn't on that roster either. His younger brother Markus, a forward, is on the roster.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
sk84fun_dc

So with the Caps in Manitoba, Dave Prior is in Brandon, Manitoba working with Caps goalie prospect (and already under contract) Brandon Anderson.

from wheatkingsvoice Bruce Luebke: Washington goaltender coach Dave Prior in #bdnmb to confer with Caps' prospect and #bdnwheatkings G Brandon Anderson. pic.twitter.com/S3NFoHKe

There was also this piece on Anderson getting the bulk of the playing time while Boes is out with a broken hand.

link

As to Soberg, same info. as Langway; only other thing to note is that he was listed on a prelim. roster in November for the tourney, but even at that time, it didn't sound like he was expected to be with the team.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 12-15-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

So is Anderson the next Holtby for us?

What's the chance Soberg makes it to the bigs?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Hard to see an NHL future for either at this point. Organizational depth at best.

Old
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Agreed. I had some hope for Soberg, but not playing hockey this year seems to have made that dream rather far fetched at this point. Anderson has done little to show he'll even be a quality performer in the minor leagues, but then again, Grubauer struggled a lot last year as well.

Curious to when Grubauer is going to get a shot in the AHL. Guess that really depends on when someone higher on the depth chart gets hurt. Don't see the organization sending Grubauer to Hershey only to have him be the back-up. Holtby would either have to get hurt or be recalled to Washington for it to happen.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
sk84fun_dc

Grubauer had some stinkers for Kingston last year and some good play and then had some struggles right before being shutdown due to mono, but I wouldn't compare his play overall last season to Anderson's struggles this season from what I know of the two situations.

Link to Grubauer's game stats last season.

As to a start in the AHL, I was disappointed that he didn't get a start with Hershey when he was up early in the season, although I wasn't surprised. Now, I think if one of the 4 goalies in front of him was injured, he'd not only get a recall but get a start.

OT: there's an article on Kolzig in the Charleston paper today by Andrew Miller and includes a small bit about Kolzig on Gruabuer and in general about playing in the ECHL. link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Hard to see an NHL future for either at this point. Organizational depth at best.
Agree, although both are young and obviously Prior and the Caps saw something in each of them, hard to see that trajectory right now. Anderson's play in the WHL since he signed with the Caps has not been anything special and he has struggled this year and at times last year, leading to the trade and as noted, has not played well since the trade. Hopefully the starts, while Boes hand heals, will help him. Obviously, the Caps have invested in him and it makes sense with the Caps in Manitoba for Prior to make a visit.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
sk84fun_dc

Sam Carrier had a good game tonight - 1ppg/2a/+1/first star in a 4-1 win; was -3 last game in a 5-3 loss

31GP: 8G 21A 29Pts +3 25PIMs

Old
12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Its almost WJHC time. has it been posted what caps will be playing in this years tourny

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Its almost WJHC time. has it been posted what caps will be playing in this years tourny
think its just Kuznetsov

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
think its just Kuznetsov
atleast we have the most exciting player in the tourament to watch

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So is Anderson the next Holtby for us?

What's the chance Soberg makes it to the bigs?
What about this Philipp Grubauer kid? For some reason Ollie seems to favor him but outside of his stats it's virtually impossible to find a link. Jah?

Need spark in goal? How about Philipp Grubauer

Quote:
Not Braden Holtby, who has been a bit of a disappointment with a .900 save percentage for the Hershey Bears. Call up Philipp Grubauer, who at 20 years old is playing the best hockey – right now – of any goaltender in the system.

Yes, it's at the ECHL level for the South Carolina Stingrays, but Grubauer's 1.82 goals-against average and .935 save percentage are out of this world.

Quote:
“I think he's progressing ahead of the curve. He's in a situation where he doesn't belong in the East Coast League, but because of the depth Washington has and the amount of talented goalies they have, they needed a place for him to play,” associate goaltending coach Olie Kolzig told me recently. “To his credit, he went down with a fantastic attitude. He's a very goal-driven individual. He knows what he wants, he goes about it very professionally, he's mature beyond his years.

Quote:
It's no promise of future success. Far from it. But Grubauer's ECHL numbers tower over those put up by Neuvirth and Holtby during their time with South Carolina. Neuvirth had a .918 save percentage and 2.28 GAA there, while Holtby had a .911 and 2.95.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post

Just Kuz.

More people should get the avatar of him, its on like page 5 or 6 in the WJC Avatar thread

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
think its just Kuznetsov
Fire McPhee!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Is Patrick Wey any good? Or is he gonna be just organizational depth?

BTW, first post on here, so don't kill me

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post

His upside is bottom pairing d-man. I don't think he will reach it though as everything would have to come together. I see him as an injury replacement/ AHL journeyman myself, but I like surprises.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Dirtbag59

Mikhail Grigorenko, C: While Yakupov is considered by most as the likely No. 1 pick, there are several people within the industry who are starting to lean Grigorenko's way. One NHL Head Scout said on the matter, "I consider both of their upsides equal, but Grigorenko plays center and that could be the tie-breaker." A Russian scout added, "I've seen Grigorenko and Yakupov play many times, and I have Grigorenko clearly ahead."

For the record I too have Grigorenko ahead of Yakupov. Yakupov is the frontrunner as of now, but Grigorenko does have what it takes to pass him according to many in the industry. He's a high, high-end possession weapon, which is the selling point to me in a time where we see how puck possession is what wins hockey games. His puck skills and hockey sense are great, he's an above-average skater with a big body, but his one major knock is his on-ice work ethic.

Evgeny Kuznetsov, C, Washington Capitals: Kuznetsov has been playing very well over in the KHL during his 19-year-old season and has ended up logging the most ice time among forwards on a first place team. His raw skill set is as good as anybody in the prospect world as he is plus skater, puck-handler, passer and shooter who at any given moment can dazzle and flash NHL star potential. Kuznetsov gets plagued sometimes with inconsistency and he isn't exactly a defensive stalwart, but he is going to be leaned on for his offensive gifts and is a legit candidate for Tournament MVP.

Nail Yakupov, RW: Yakupov in considered the consensus No. 1 pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft after leading the OHL in scoring in his pre-draft year -- albeit as a player whose draft year was pushed back due to a late birth date. He's a well above-average skater with a technique that is nearly flawless and he couples it with high-end puck skills, shooting ability and vision that is steadily beginning to reach that same high level. He's a small guy too, but also plays a pretty high-energy, physical game as well.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post

Pat is targeted as a third defensive pairing at the top level.

He has shown glimpses of achieving that plus more in the WJC's last year where he performed well against the best in the world at his age level.

Nasty foot injury this year has set him back but he is scheduled to return this Thursday night in the Great Lakes Tournament in Michigan at the Joe Louis Arena...will be interesting to monitor his progress through the balance of the year.

High end comparable would be Rob Scuderi, Boston College Graduate in 2000, that spent a couple of years in AHL but has proved to be a strong stay at home defensemen at the NHL level since 2003 beginning in Pittsburgh and currently with LA Kings. Solid PK, shot blocker, dependable shutdown type.

Last edited by Caps Crazy: 12-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Caps Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:08 PM
babyshamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Any update on where Soberg is playing this year since he decided to return to Europe? Will he represent Norway at the WJC?

Swift Current has finaly released his transfer card so Steffen Søberg played for Manglerud Star in the Norwegian Elite League today. In his first game since the U-18 WC in April he came in after 1 period. He faced 30 shots and made 28 saves in a 4-0 loss for his team against one of the top teams in the league. Imo he looked really good and was the main reason this did not turn into a blowout.

Even tough it is not an ideal situation, at least now he will get to play games. And because he is playing for Manglerud he will be facing a lot of shots every night in a mens league.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Thanks for the update.