HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who to watch in 2011?

Old
09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
They didn't run the trap since Lemaire is gone.
;A; I was lied to then.

Well then for sure I'll watch them. c: They did employ one of my favorites for at least a year.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Kid Canesten

personally, im def excited to see the Kings run this year. DL made that push for that game changer and lets see how it turns out.

like others have posted, the new totally different flyers will be very interesting to look at.

and the homer in me says check out the sens this year. for the first half of last year, we were such an abysmal team but what was worse was that we were very boring. this year, with nothing to lose and a bunch of hungry youngins and a nasty bottom six, the excitement level should be unreal.

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Zach Parise
Jaromir Jagr
Tyler Seguin

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Wild
Flyers
Islanders
Jets
Sabres

Just a few teams to look out for this year.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I don't quite understand this. The novelty of the fact they moved should wear off rather quick. On the ice it's pretty easy to know what to expect. Picture the Thrashers in a colder place. Not saying they won't do well, but I don't understand what's particularly intriguing about them for anyone outside of Peg fans.
Thank you. I have been struggling to understand this whole craze too. People wont acknowledge that they are basically the Thrashers with different jerseys. Theyre not the Jets of old.

Although its cool for some people who are Canadian, just because they are in a new location doesnt make them a team to watch

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Thank you. I have been struggling to understand this whole craze too. People wont acknowledge that they are basically the Thrashers with different jerseys. Theyre not the Jets of old.

Although its cool for some people who are Canadian, just because they are in a new location doesnt make them a team to watch
Don't want to derail the thread but its more a victory for the Canadians who have a, dare I say, primitive view of the world of hockey and that Bettman finally giving in and moving a team back to hockey's homeland is a big win for the league. It kind of is but yeah it's different jerseys and a more passionate fanbase that had a team unfairly robbed from them (not really, financial issues) and now they get it back.

Basically they're the Seattle Sonics of the NHL.

Will they be interesting? Not really. It's still the Thrashers.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
The four players I have my eye on for Anaheim:

Fowler - Soph slump, or another step forward after a very good rookie season?

Hiller - Are the symptoms truly gone? Or will he relapse when the workload gets tough?

Perry - After winning the Hart and the Rocket Richard one wonders what he will do for an encore.

Ryan - Seems poised to break out. With Selanne still a question mark, there might be an opportunity for Ryan on the 1st PP unit.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
I Believe

Washington is always a fun team to watch. As far as special players, it should be very fun to watch Giroux/JVR and see what they can do this year.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:48 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Is that an STD?
Good catch. I hate screwing up posts like that. Or maybe I was making a witty reference about having to watch "a good dose" of St. Louis this year? Na, I ****ed up.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Don't want to derail the thread but its more a victory for the Canadians who have a, dare I say, primitive view of the world of hockey and that Bettman finally giving in and moving a team back to hockey's homeland is a big win for the league. It kind of is but yeah it's different jerseys and a more passionate fanbase that had a team unfairly robbed from them (not really, financial issues) and now they get it back.

Basically they're the Seattle Sonics of the NHL.

Will they be interesting? Not really. It's still the Thrashers.
I understand and I think there should be more Canadian teams (one Florida team is enough) but I'm sure its hard for the actual fans of those teams to lose their team.

My main point was just that the only thing different really will be the fan base, and who knows, maybe that will have a slight effect. I just dont like people picking WPG to make the playoffs whereas if they were still in Atlanta people wouldnt be saying that at all...

tis all

Old
09-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

I feel like everyone is forgetting how outstanding Corey Crawford was for the Blackhawks last season/playoffs, and it will be interesting to see if he can follow it up with another great effort.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'll be watching the Oilers because they are my team but besides them I'll be keeping an eye on the Isles... I think the NYI will likely be a breakout team this year... playoffs are certainly in sight and they could do some damage when they make it as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
I understand and I think there should be more Canadian teams (one Florida team is enough) but I'm sure its hard for the actual fans of those teams to lose their team.

My main point was just that the only thing different really will be the fan base, and who knows, maybe that will have a slight effect. I just dont like people picking WPG to make the playoffs whereas if they were still in Atlanta people wouldnt be saying that at all...

tis all
Yeah but you gotta remember that Atlanta was in the playoff race up until the second half when things started to fall apart.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Yeah but you gotta remember that Atlanta was in the playoff race up until the second half when things started to fall apart.
I dont see how they have gotten any better though. I havent really been following them much, but I know Schremp's gone and Big Buff turned into Bigger Buff, so I dont see how they can be much better... Just sayin'.

Id love to be surprised

Old
09-12-2011, 03:18 AM
avsman

Watch out for matt duchene with peter mueller

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:40 AM
taylord22

Homer Vote:

The Oshie -- Berglund -- Stewart line...

What else I'm looking forward to:
1. Return to Winnipeg
2. CBJ (specifically Carter)-- big vs. marginal improvement
3. Shea Weber and Drew Doughty's reaction on ice after semi-awkward summers
4. Philly -- How will the new core fuse/react?
5. Concussions -- how will they be policed, how/when will Crosby, Perron, etc... come back?

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
I feel like everyone is forgetting how outstanding Corey Crawford was for the Blackhawks last season/playoffs, and it will be interesting to see if he can follow it up with another great effort.
I agree. I don't think he's another Jimmy Howard. Vezina dark horse.
The Kings, Isanders and Lightning are three teams I want to watch this year.
And some players:
Evgeni Malkin
Dany Heatley

Tomas Vokoun
and the Ducks line of Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:04 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
I have to admit I am going to be alert for Crosby news this season. I hope he is able to adapt his style to avoid further injuries, but I know that isn't very likely.

Los Angeles has added offence and were damn close to bumping Vancouver from last season's playoffs.

Philidelphia! Hahaha! I love those guys. Jagr! Hahahaha!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Which every team is closest to you or which ever teams plays in the city you were born, those are always good teams to watch.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

Homer vote :

Seeing how the Wings' defence plays without Rafalski and how Howard plays with pressure from Conklin.

Everything else :

How the Jets play in the 'Peg.
How the Leafs fare with a semi-decent 1st line centre.
The play of the next Lidstrom, Hedman/Larsson

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Which every team is closest to you or which ever teams plays in the city you were born, those are always good teams to watch.
Closest team to me is 2 hours away and everyone in this county has never even heard of them until I bring them up.

v: And it's not even like the Bolts are bad.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

I can't wait to see opening night in Winnipeg, that will be a sight to behold.

I'm curious to see if the Islanders can build off of last season's late surge, they are almost a mirror image of the Oilers although they're probably a bit ahead in the development stage and i've always had a spot spot for their franchise. They'll be fun to watch regardless.

I think that the Rangers will surprise many and possibly make it to the Conference Finals, very well balanced team with their new additions.

The Leafs are always interesting to watch whether it's good or bad.

The Caps are always fun to watch.

I hope that Sid gets back on the ice and dominates again, the game needs him to be great again.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Dishy

What to watch for the Flyers:

Jagr (PPG player? 50 points?)
Giroux improving (is 90 points possible?)
JVR (very high potential for a breakout season)
Bryzgalov (finally, a real goalie between the pipes)

And as always, if Pronger stays healthy, I can see a pretty deep playoff run.

Dishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Since your from the east well i assume you are. I will give a couple west coast teams that you don't get to see as much

Blues I think they will have a good year and hope they remain injury free

Blue Jackets They finally spent some money this off season and got a great center to play with Nash or give them 2 lines with 30 plus goal scorers on them

Predators Always an over looked team with no real star forwards but a great coach and 2 of the best Dmen in the league and and up and rising goalie

Kings They improved there top 6 with Richards and Gange and Penner has been working out all summer long to get in shape. There D hasn't changed much unless Doughty decides not to resign.

Ducks They are a wild card I don't think Perry will repeat his last season. But that RGP line is one of if not the best line in hockey and if Hiller and come back and play they way he does they an be a really good team. They are improving on D with Cam Fowler and Lydmen (spelling) Lubo is one of the best on the point but is getting older. They could win the Pacific or just make the playoff in the 6/7/8th seed.

Avs They had a bad end of the season with a ton of injury's and should bounce back in the fight for the playoffs. they improved there D towards the end of the season with EJ got a good young goalie and have 2 really good young Centers with a nice set of wingers and a solid 3rd line center.

I won't say much about the Canucks Sharks Wing or Hawks because they are all well know and have had great team's in the past few years and get talked about as contenders enough to know about them.

son of earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Homer vote for Winnipeg, simply because the crowed will be crazy after 15 years.

Specifically though, Kane, Burmistrov and Bogosian are worth watching.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote