HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be a female referee in the NHL in the near future?

Old
09-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Anchor Town

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I forgot guy cops get walkie talkies and only women cops get weapons...
What are you trying to get at?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:01 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

I think that lack of experience is a big one. The referees in the women's world cup were heavily criticized for this reason.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:01 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
What are you trying to get at?
your hilarious statement... apparently women couldn't deal with a guy without "weapons" , the banks NHL, refs carrying mace to take down pests

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Oxim Oresi

Found something about recruiting female refs in what seems to be a IIHF mission statement (point 10). There is probably a lot of work to be done until we have a female ref with enough experience for an NHL game.

Oxim Oresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:48 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
yeah and there horrible
Kim Winslow is a better ref then Steve Mazzagatti, Dan Mirgliotta, Kevin Mullhul and Cecil Peoples. All who see regular time on main card fights. Not too mention with the amount of training she has she'd ragdoll almost any guy on this forum.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Erathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
They have the luxury of carrying weapons to disable criminals. Refs, are possible, line(wo)men, no way.
What about whistle?

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Oobz

not happening any time soon

Oobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:53 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
are there female cops?
/thread
Not really the same thing though is it? I doubt anyone here is questioning the competence required to enforce the rules. The main concern seems to be whether it's sensible to ask a normal-proportioned woman to break up a fight between, say, Lucic and Neil.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Walnut

We have a female referee over here. Joy Tottman. She also reffed womens games at the past two Olympics and if I remember rightly this included the final in Vancouver.

As far as I know we also have 2 lineswomen

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Sunshine36616

I'd not really thought about it, but now that I do, I don't see why not.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:04 PM
mbhhofr

Having been in that position, too small to be a Lineseman and still making it to the NHL for a cup of coffee as an emergency replacement linesman, I was 5'7" and 125 lbs., I see no reason that a woman could not eventually make it as a Referee. They now have two referees on the ice for NHL games and I see a greater opportunity for that to happen than if they only had one referee.

mbhhofr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Not really the same thing though is it? I doubt anyone here is questioning the competence required to enforce the rules. The main concern seems to be whether it's sensible to ask a normal-proportioned woman to break up a fight between, say, Lucic and Neil.
You're right, it's not the same.

A cops job is infinitely more important. And women handle that just fine. They are put into a position of protecting lives. And sometimes, that means breaking up real fights with real danger, not some NHL scrap.

Yet somehow, in a sport, we have a bunch of people doubting if a woman could handle it.

Sexism run rampant.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

A cops job is infinitely more important. And women handle that just fine. They are put into a position of protecting lives. And sometimes, that means breaking up real fights with real danger, not some NHL scrap.

Yet somehow, in a sport, we have a bunch of people doubting if a woman could handle it.

Sexism run rampant.
A cop has a gun. Don't purposely be ignorant. Anyone can point a gun at someone and stop a crime. Obviously there is more to it than that but you get my point. If they were sending women to fight the criminals in hand to hand combat the results would be much different. Very few women on this planet could stop Lucic from fighting someone. Women reffing the NHL just does not work. You want to hand the refs guns too?

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
A cop has a gun. Don't purposely be ignorant. Anyone can point a gun at someone and stop a crime. Obviously there is more to it than that but you get my point. If they were sending women to fight the criminals in hand to hand combat the results would be much different. Very few women on this planet could stop Lucic from fighting someone. Women reffing the NHL just does not work. You want to hand the refs guns too?
Me ignorant? Look at your post. By your analogy, if two men are fighting on the street, a woman would be required to pull her firearm to break it up?

Do you understand how rarely officers pull their firearm? It's not over a little fist fight, I can assure you.

The gun isn't as a female/male equalizer. It's there to stop real crime in dangerous situations. Two professional NHL players having a fight? A gun needed to break them up just because it's a woman? Get real.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
OwkBlue

No,never.

OwkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:

Sexism run rampant.
Watch who you're accusing of sexism. You don't know me.

The importance of the job has nothing to do with it. Nobody is saying women can't handle important jobs.

A female police officer spends 95% of her time doing mundane things like filing paperwork, visiting the courtroom, driving around, serving notices, sitting at gas stations. In the occasional situation where she has to face a violent criminal, she has the ability to pull a gun and call for backup. It's not the same thing AT ALL as having to repeatedly grapple and restrain professional athletes.

Again, in every way I think a woman could handle the duties of an arm-banded ref. The linesman jobs are a different animal and I hate to think of the media outcome when inevitably someone throws a punch that accidentally catches a female linesman in the face.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Watch who you're accusing of sexism. You don't know me.
Let's get dinner. Then we can know one another.

And your strawman arguments, mainly revolving around a female officer's job being mundane, are pretty miserable.

Like it or not, there's simply no good reason a woman couldn't handle reffing. For the 1 fight a game between goons that breaks out, she'll be fine. I guarantee it. As for your example, she could always call for backup from the other linesmen. A novel idea, I know.

And if she gets hit in the face, good. Then you guys will realize she won't cry home to mommy and continue reffing with blood all over her uniform.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
its less likely than goalies since they have to deal with scrums and fights
Fights will likely be eliminated in the near future, so no worries on that issue.

I could see female refs happening...would make for an interesting on-ice dynamic...the ass-slap would certainly take on new meaning...

Old
09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
The gun isn't as a female/male equalizer.
To a large extent, yes it is. People don't listen to the police because of the uniform, they listen because of the implied threat of physical force.

Same for male and female cops.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
vladdy16

This thread is ridiculous and very obviously prejudiced. The title says 'referee'. Refs don't break up fights, you're all grasping at straws.

And you're all acting like the only thing from stopping one fighter from killing another is a linesmen, players know when fights are over, they're on video, physical force is last on the list of incentives to not take cheap shots at the end of a fight.

vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Miss Mess

Yes. And I hope she then flips off you men saying she couldn't do the job.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Let's get dinner. Then we can know one another.
No thanks.

Quote:
And your strawman arguments, mainly revolving around a female officer's job being mundane, are pretty miserable.
I'm not the one who brought police jobs into it. See upthread.

Quote:
Like it or not, there's simply no good reason a woman couldn't handle reffing. For the 1 fight a game between goons that breaks out, she'll be fine. I guarantee it.
I didn't realize your guarantee superceded all other considerations. Thanks for that.

Old
09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
The only experience I've had with a woman referee was in a Bantam game I played in a few years ago. She was horrible. Late in the game we scored a controversial goal and she didn't know how to call it. She was asking players what they saw and at one point she even asked the goalie if it went in or not. So based on my experience I hope not.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The only experience I've had with a woman referee was in a Bantam game I played in a few years ago. She was horrible. Late in the game we scored a controversial goal and she didn't know how to call it. She was asking players what they saw and at one point she even asked the goalie if it went in or not. So based on my experience I hope not.
Pfft. Even though logically, your experience has nothing to do with women reffing professionally in the future

I don't see any controversy whatsoever. Women can easily do a referee's job. Breaking up fights is 80% WWE BS anyway, and if players give her trouble, she can just throw them out of the game. Period. It would give players something extra to think about before they start ****. There should be absolutely no reason why a woman can't be a referee in the NHL.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Why not? We already have ice girls so a female referee would be the logical next step.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote