HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be a female referee in the NHL in the near future?

Old
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
More plausible than a player, that's for true.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Password

vCash: 500
Of course!

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
its less likely than goalies since they have to deal with scrums and fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Not really the same thing though is it? I doubt anyone here is questioning the competence required to enforce the rules. The main concern seems to be whether it's sensible to ask a normal-proportioned woman to break up a fight between, say, Lucic and Neil.
Referees hardly ever have to get involved physically. If anything they are standing in between a 3rd fight that has broken out at the same time which happens never anymore.

It could definitely happen, all it takes is a female to get good enough and work her way up.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
source

Possible, but very very unlikely.

A woman with the necessary size and strength to be an NHL referee almost certainly could be a professional athlete. I see no reason why they would chose a career as a referee.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Who cares! Really who does? Refs are refs gender is not gonna matter as long as the person can skate

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Hockey Spy

Imagine losing a fight, and then having a women come in to save you. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Hockey Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Falcons93

No. How are they supposed to break up a fight or scrum?

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Is there all of the sudden a push for women in the NHL with these recent threads? Anyway, the big question would be why would they have a woman in the first place. There are tons upon tons of referees and linesman waiting in juniors to get promoted. If you were in that position would you like it if a woman who didn't pay her dues gets in there just because of her gender?
Why couldn't it be a woman ref who had worked her way up as well? Not sure why you assume the first woman ref in the NHL will get there because she is a woman.

Last edited by Jimmy Carter: 09-12-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
A woman with the necessary size and strength to be an NHL referee
Look at this monster intimidating Lidstrom!

And these giants of men in the middle! No way they'll be able to break up Lucic!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
No. How are they supposed to break up a fight or scrum?
How often do you actually see a ref break up a fight? I can barelly even remember it happening once.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

And these giants of men in the middle! No way they'll be able to break up Lucic!

Yeah, both of those pics illustrate how the linesmen (the ones who break up fights and wrestle players down) have the same stature as a player.

I swear the selective reading in this thread...

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Yeah, both of those pics illustrate how the linesmen (the ones who break up fights and wrestle players down) have the same stature as a player.

I swear the selective reading in this thread...
Look at what I quoted. He said referee. I was responding to that. It wasn't selective whatsoever. You, however, are taking what I said and altering the context. You've done this twice now. It's disingenuous, so why don't you work on your own reading comprehension.

You're saying they can't be linesmen. Okay, whatever. Let's concede that point for discussion. What myself, and the other sane people are saying, is why the hell can't they ref?

There fails to be any good answer for this that doesn't involve a ridiculous example (women use guns as cops) or blatant sexism (women aren't strong enough).

We have women who are FIGHTER PILOTS.

There are around 70 women who are fighter pilots in the US Air Force. Yet, these poor dainty women, couldn't stop the raging bull that is an NHL player in a fight.

It's ridiculous on the highest level.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
You're saying they can't be linesmen. Okay, whatever. Let's concede that point for discussion. What myself, and the other sane people are saying, is why the hell can't they ref?
Why don't you go back and find ALL the posts in this thread saying a woman couldn't be a ref?

Exclude the ones that are something about breaking up fights, because that is implicitly directed at linesmen. And exclude those talking about experience levels, because that's a pragmatic concern having to do with the conditions under which a woman could make it that far up the ladder on merit.

What's left? 3 or 4posts? Half of which are pure sarcasm? You're so determined to be outraged about this that you're letting yourself be trolled by the peanut gallery.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
No, there won't be a female ref in the near future. The NHL is far too much of an old boy's league with old boy's rules to make any serious headway in this regard. A female can definitely perform the duties just as crappy as the average ref now but the culture of hockey is still far too set in its ways which includes a lot of macho attitudes among the players, executives, and even in the reffing game. I agree though that this position is the most likely to be the first one to crack this barrier in the modern era.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Not really the same thing though is it? I doubt anyone here is questioning the competence required to enforce the rules. The main concern seems to be whether it's sensible to ask a normal-proportioned woman to break up a fight between, say, Lucic and Neil.
No NHL ref would break up a fight between Lucic and Neil.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:10 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

It's possible, don't they have a woman refereeing the NFL as of nowadays?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:12 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
I had to scroll all the way down to say NO!
They can;t skate fast enough or break up a fight

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:14 PM
source

Quote:

Find me a picture of a comparable woman.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
Having been in that position, too small to be a Lineseman and still making it to the NHL for a cup of coffee as an emergency replacement linesman, I was 5'7" and 125 lbs., I see no reason that a woman could not eventually make it as a Referee. They now have two referees on the ice for NHL games and I see a greater opportunity for that to happen than if they only had one referee.
Come on, 125 lbs.woman. These guys can skate three times faster and are 10X stronger.
If you were a guy at 125 , How do you take your coffee!!
Hockey players respect a ref if the ref deserves it. I've never seen a 125 lb. ref since bantam league in 1960.
(The only 125 lber I listen to is the wife)

Last edited by aqsw: 09-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.
aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Most referees aren't that big. Bill McCreary is, er, generously listed at 6-foot, 198 pounds. Kerry Fraser was 5-foot-7.

The big guys (like 6-foot-7 Mike Cvik) are almost always linesmen.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Would NHL players even respect a female ref? I imagine it would take some getting used to from their perspective. She'd have to demonstrate some credibility fairly early on. And she could probably expect to catch hell if she blows a big call early on -- that's just the nature of the beast.

The worst of the problem is that for the most part refs are just "the ref" and all ref-rants tend to be preserved for refs in general unless someone is really a screwup, but a female ref would be unique enough to be remembered -- and any ref will screw up in a given year, and hers would be remembered because SHE would be memorable.

Also sure the refs don't deal with the fighting in an ideal world, but I'd like to know the number of refs who DON'T get dragged into at least one scrum in an average year. It's probably fairly low.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Falcons93

Quote:

Racicot and Devorski are huge. McCreary is like 5'10 (which is still a lot bigger than most women), and O'Halloran is 5'9 (again, still bigger than most women). Both refs also have thicker frames than the majority of women. I'd bet McCreary/O'Halloran are probably the same size as you.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Most referees aren't that big. Bill McCreary is, er, generously listed at 6-foot, 198 pounds. Kerry Fraser was 5-foot-7.

The big guys (like 6-foot-7 Mike Cvik) are almost always linesmen.
You realize 6'0/200 is bigger than a large percentage of women? Anyways, if he's listed at his actual height/weight which is probably 5'10/5'11 and 185, he's still bigger than 90% of women.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
How often do you actually see a ref break up a fight? I can barelly even remember it happening once.
Not sure of specific examples, but I'd bet it happens all of the time during brawls. Try watching the Pens/Isles brawls from the past season. I guarentee you the refs weren't sitting idly by and watching players fight.

Old
09-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
You realize 6'0/200 is bigger than a large percentage of women? Anyways, if he's listed at his actual height/weight which is probably 5'10/5'11 and 185, he's still bigger than 90% of women.
The average height of a woman in the US is from 5-4 to 5-5 depending on the study. 5-10 is definitely tall but still considered within the average range.

The average height of an American male is 5-9 to 5-10, so about five inches taller on average. But again, averages have nothing to do with this question because we're talking about an individual, not the average person.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote