HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Lafontaine vs, Hawerchuk

View Poll Results: Who was better in their primes?
Dale Hawerchuk 32 58.18%
Pat Lafontaine 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Infinite Vision*

vCash: 500
Lafontaine vs, Hawerchuk

In their primes, who would you say was the better player?

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Infinite Vision*

That comma was meant to be a period BTW. Just incase that bugs anyone.

Old
09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
BraveCanadian

Hawerchuk for me, although I do like Lafontaine too.

I think they are close offensively at their peaks but I think Hawerchuk was better without the puck.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM
seventieslord

1990-1993 Lafontaine was probably better than Hawerchuk ever was. But only by very little. Hawerchuk had a longer, fuller prime and a better career.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Big Phil

If you take their singular best seasons, Hawerchuk in 1985 and Lafontaine in 1993 then you'll see glaring similarities. Hawerchuk finished 3rd in scoring but 2nd in hart voting while Lafontaine did the opposite.

Other than that, Hawerchuk had other seasons a notch below that one while Lafontaine had 1990 and a lot of other "what if" seasons if not for injuries. Both had measley talent around them early in their career. But their best seasons had Lafontaine with Mogilny and Hawerchuk with Paul MacLean. No question who had the weaker mate with the same results here

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Philx

I will always admire and respect Hawerchuk for the very valuable role he played on the big line with Gretsky and Lemieux in the 1987 Canada cup. Dale got the puck to Gretsky before he set up Lemieux for that iconic winning goal and he played great throughout that series. Never got the credit he deserved for the major contribution he made to the success of that team.

Philx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philx View Post
I will always admire and respect Hawerchuk for the very valuable role he played on the big line with Gretsky and Lemieux in the 1987 Canada cup. Dale got the puck to Gretsky before he set up Lemieux for that iconic winning goal and he played great throughout that series. Never got the credit he deserved for the major contribution he made to the success of that team.
No he didn't, Lemieux got the puck to Gretzky before Gretzky set him up for that iconic goal. The three of them were not even a regular line throughout the tournament.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:06 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Trigger View Post
No he didn't, Lemieux got the puck to Gretzky before Gretzky set him up for that iconic goal. The three of them were not even a regular line throughout the tournament.

Hawerchuk was put with Gretzky and Lemieux for the last couple of games of the tournament. They were a regular line in the finals against the Soviets.

Hawerchuk is the guy who won the faceoff in his own zone and started the play that led to the Gretzky/Lemieux rush.

So you're technically correct in that Hawerchuk didn't get the puck to Gretzky. He got the puck up ice, where Lemieux picked it up and got it to Gretzky to start the rush.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-12-2011 at 04:15 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:16 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Anyway, this poll is tough for me. If the question was "who had the better prime?" I would have picked Hawerchuk, because I consider length of prime and consistency during prime as part of the prime.

Since the question is "who was better during his prime?" I have a harder time, since both men seem pretty even at their best. Hawerchuk was just at his best more often, but that's not what the question is asking.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:19 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Anyway, this poll is tough for me. If the question was "who had the better prime?" I would have picked Hawerchuk, because I consider length of prime and consistency during prime as part of the prime.

Since the question is "who was better during his prime?" I have a harder time, since both men seem pretty even at their best. Hawerchuk was just at his best more often, but that's not what the question is asking.
This, if the question was peak, then maybe Lafontaine, even then, it would be debatable, that makes Hawerchuk the easy choice for me.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
begbeee

I would take LaFontaine's 1993 season over any season of Hawerchuk. So I have voted for Pat.
That being said, I agree that Hawerchuk had better career, prime and obviously he wins everything with longetivity.

Hawerchuk was up there during eighties with Stastny and Trottier as best center behind Gretz.
LaFontaine never came close to this feat except his 1993.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I would take LaFontaine's 1993 season over any season of Hawerchuk. So I have voted for Pat.
That being said, I agree that Hawerchuk had better career, prime and obviously he wins everything with longetivity.

Hawerchuk was up there during eighties with Stastny and Trottier as best center behind Gretz.
LaFontaine never came close to this feat except his 1993.
exactly how I feel. Voted LaFontaine

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:

Yes you have the right idea. Better prime would depend more on the length of it, whereas better in their prime would depend more on peak. However, I'll post my same argument I did in the poll section and tell me what you think of it.

I just looked at each of their best 9 consecutive seasons, before they declined, and look what I came up with.

Hawerchuk

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...oints_per_game

He was tenth in points per game behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Kurri, Savard, Stastny, Coffey, Yzerman, and Messier.

Goals per game averages over this time period were as follows; 8.03, 7.73, 7.89, 7.77, 7.94, 7.34, 7.43, 7.48, 7.37 - for an average of 7.66. His average points per game was 1.30 during these 9 consecutive years.

Lafontaine

He was tied for 4th in points per game with Oates, behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Yzerman.

Goals per game averages over this time period were as follows; 7.43, 7.48, 7.37, 6.91, 6.96, 7.25, 6.48, 5.97, 6.29 - for an average of 6.90. His average points per game was 1.34 during these 9 consecutive years.

Sure he missed quite a few games during that time compared to Hawerchuk, but he played 104 more than Lemieux during this same time span.

9 years is a long time, that's more than enough to conclude who the better player was, as well as the amount I've seen each of them play.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

Dale Hawerchuk. Had he played for a better team we'd be talking about him as a top 75 player all-time.

09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Hawerchuk was put with Gretzky and Lemieux for the last couple of games of the tournament. They were a regular line in the finals against the Soviets.

Hawerchuk is the guy who won the faceoff in his own zone and started the play that led to the Gretzky/Lemieux rush.

So you're technically correct in that Hawerchuk didn't get the puck to Gretzky. He got the puck up ice, where Lemieux picked it up and got it to Gretzky to start the rush.
Hawerchuk was out on the ice to win the face-off. He didn't play regularly with Gretzky and Mario even in the final.

Brian Propp played with Wayne and Mario.

Hawerchuk played a defensive role in the bottom 6, and played it very well.

Lafontaine's best was slightly better than Hawerchuk's, but Dale had the better career.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Preisst

Quote:
Yes you have the right idea. Better prime would depend more on the length of it, whereas better in their prime would depend more on peak. However, I'll post my same argument I did in the poll section and tell me what you think of it.

I just looked at each of their best 9 consecutive seasons, before they declined, and look what I came up with.

Hawerchuk

He was tenth in points per game behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Kurri, Savard, Stastny, Coffey, Yzerman, and Messier.

Goals per game averages over this time period were as follows; 8.03, 7.73, 7.89, 7.77, 7.94, 7.34, 7.43, 7.48, 7.37 - for an average of 7.66. His average points per game was 1.30 during these 9 consecutive years.

Lafontaine

He was tied for 4th in points per game with Oates, behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Yzerman.

Goals per game averages over this time period were as follows; 7.43, 7.48, 7.37, 6.91, 6.96, 7.25, 6.48, 5.97, 6.29 - for an average of 6.90. His average points per game was 1.34 during these 9 consecutive years.

Sure he missed quite a few games during that time compared to Hawerchuk, but he played 104 more than Lemieux during this same time span.

9 years is a long time, that's more than enough to conclude who the better player was, as well as the amount I've seen each of them play.
There is a lot more to hockey than pts per game and goals per game. Hawerchuk, IMHO, was far superior to Lafontaine in virtually every other aspect of the game. To me it's actually not even close, Hawerchuk by a considerable margin.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
TDMM?

Old
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
There is a lot more to hockey than pts per game and goals per game. Hawerchuk, IMHO, was far superior to Lafontaine in virtually every other aspect of the game. To me it's actually not even close, Hawerchuk by a considerable margin.
Yeah I realize that, but I think this is a legitimate enough argument for Lafontaine being the better player. I also don't think Hawerchuk was far superior to Lafontaine in anything, just playmaking by a bit. Pat's skill level was quite noticeably superior to Dale's.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Preisst

Quote:
Yeah I realize that, but I think this is a legitimate enough argument for Lafontaine being the better player. I also don't think Hawerchuk was far superior to Lafontaine in anything, just playmaking by a bit. Pat's skill level was quite noticeably superior to Dale's.
You think Lafontaines defensive game was better than Hawerchuks? How about faceoffs? How about grit? Who was a better backchecker? Who was a better forechecker? I'm curious if you had the chance to watch these guys play very much?

As for your "legitimate argument" which is more important ;

1) the fact that over a select 9 years for both players that Lafontaine finished with a 1.34 pts per game average to Hawerchuks 1.30 [which is basically the exact same and the average goals per game doesn't really add anything to the argument]

OR

2) the fact that over the 9 years you selected that Lafontaine finished 4th in pts per game to Hawerchuks finishing 10th

*I'll just assume the #s you have provided are accurate as I'm sure they are but I'm not going to bother doubling checking them*

I'm just trying to understand your argument better. As far as I can see the players were relatively close in offensive production but I honestly think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who really thinks that Lafontaines overall game was anywhere even close to Hawerchuks.

** bit off topic as far as "prime" is concerned but here are both players overall NHL #s offensively :

Hawerchuk played 1188 games and had 518 goals [.436 per game] 891 assists [.75 per game] 1409 points [1.19 per game] 730 PIM [.614 per game]

Lafontaine played 865 games and had 468 goals [.541 per game] 545 assists [.63 per game] 1013 points [1.17 per game] 552 PIM [.638 per game]

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
1990-1993 Lafontaine was probably better than Hawerchuk ever was. But only by very little. Hawerchuk had a longer, fuller prime and a better career.
I would agree here and some might call it a peak but definitions are different for everyone.

It would have been interesting to see what either of these extremely gifted players would have been able to do with better line mates for longer stretches in their careers.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
rymr66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I would agree here and some might call it a peak but definitions are different for everyone.

It would have been interesting to see what either of these extremely gifted players would have been able to do with better line mates for longer stretches in their careers.
while it wasn't for a longer period, we did get to see what lafontaine could do with a better linemate in alex mogilny, who also benefited by playing with lafontaine by scoring 76 goals that year. when hawerchuk put up his 130 points he did it with paul maclean as his linemate, and he was no alex mogilny. how many points would hawerchuk have put up that year if he had a mogilny to play with, i have no idea, but it would have been an incredibly high number.

rymr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
You think Lafontaines defensive game was better than Hawerchuks? How about faceoffs? How about grit? Who was a better backchecker? Who was a better forechecker? I'm curious if you had the chance to watch these guys play very much?
I watched each of them play their entire careers, and I think Hawerchuk's defensive game is extremely overrated. It's not that he didn't put defensive effort into his game, I just don't think he was exceptionally good at it, main reason being we wasn't exactly the fastest player. Faceoffs are a non factor for me, how much do they really matter in the grand scheme of things? I don't know what each of their faceoff percentages were anyway, I haven't looked into it.

Quote:
As for your "legitimate argument" which is more important ;

1) the fact that over a select 9 years for both players that Lafontaine finished with a 1.34 pts per game average to Hawerchuks 1.30 [which is basically the exact same and the average goals per game doesn't really add anything to the argument]

OR

2) the fact that over the 9 years you selected that Lafontaine finished 4th in pts per game to Hawerchuks finishing 10th

*I'll just assume the #s you have provided are accurate as I'm sure they are but I'm not going to bother doubling checking them*

I'm just trying to understand your argument better. As far as I can see the players were relatively close in offensive production but I honestly think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who really thinks that Lafontaines overall game was anywhere even close to Hawerchuks.
Both are legitimate arguments and correspond with each other. Thus it makes sense that Lafontaine finished higher in points per game relative to his peers in his 9 year prime compared to Hawerchuk's (the 9 consecutive years I selected for each are right from the beginning of their primes til the year before they declined)

As for assuming the numbers I've provided are accurate, all you have to do is click on the links I've provided.

I stand by my opinon that Hawerchuk's overall game is overrated. Lafontaine had more overall impact as a player in his prime, and I'd easily take him on my team over Hawerchuk, I have no bias towards either player, and am actually equally a fan of both. Other than 85 and 96, where he had a +/- of 22 (85), and 15 (96), his next best +/- were +10, +3, and +2. The rest of the seasons he was a minus player a lot of times by quite a bit. Does a lot of it have to to with the teams he was on? I would say that was certainly a big factor, however there have been more than enough players throughout the history of the game who have been placed on crappy teams, who weren't even considered to be good at defense at all and didn't have bad +/- numbers.

Quote:
** bit off topic as far as "prime" is concerned but here are both players overall NHL #s offensively :

Hawerchuk played 1188 games and had 518 goals [.436 per game] 891 assists [.75 per game] 1409 points [1.19 per game] 730 PIM [.614 per game]

Lafontaine played 865 games and had 468 goals [.541 per game] 545 assists [.63 per game] 1013 points [1.17 per game] 552 PIM [.638 per game]
Lafontaine played 6 years before and after his prime. Hawerchuk played 6 years after his prime. Hawerchuk played his entire prime in a higher scoring era. As I've already displayed.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
Faceoffs are a non factor for me, how much do they really matter in the grand scheme of things?
seriously?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:14 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
seriously?
there has been very little demonstrated correlation between winning faceoffs and.... well, anything.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:26 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
there has been very little demonstrated correlation between winning faceoffs and.... well, anything.
puck possession?

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote