HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's next for Stillman?

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Hesky

vCash: 500
What's next for Stillman?

The Lightning walked away from the 3.9 million awarded to Stillman. So according to what some users have said, the only way Tampa is getting him back is if nobody offers him more than 3.12 mill. Now the question is, which teams could be interested in signing Stillman for more than 3.12 mill (or at all)?

Old
08-16-2004, 05:01 PM
NYI

I think the way it works is Tampa has the right to match the offer in it is 80% of the arbitration award, so if somebody signs Stillman for 3.12 million or more they have the right to match(which i don't think they will because of the trade for prospal)

Old
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM

If anybody offers a contract LESS THAN $3.12 million, the Lightning have the choice of matching the contract, otherwise anything exceeding the offer of $3.12 million would be free and clear for a team to sign him.

Tampa gets a good deal here as they could still end up with Stillman at a reduced rate if no one pays over $3 million for him.

A similar event happened a year or two ago with Bryan Berard with the Bruins and the Hawks. If the Hawks would have offered Berard a contract less than roughly $2.4 million or something, the Bruins could have matched the offer. The Hawks signed him for more than that and had no compensation due.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:11 PM
regdunlap7

The Bruins could use him, but there's no way they'll sign him.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:15 PM
guitaraholic*

Stillman's worth about 2 mill per year, IMO. He's terribly overpaid at anything 3 or above. I don't think there's a team in the NHL that will touch Stillman at more than 2.4, tops.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Gwyddbwyll

He's a LW who scored a ton of points. There arent many. Its why Savage got his bloated contract and I think someone will bite on Sillinger.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
He's a LW who scored a ton of points. There arent many.
Good scorer, great passer. He's worth the 3+ millions for sure. I'd take him with the Habs any days of the week and twice on sunday.

Old
08-16-2004, 05:52 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
He's a LW who scored a ton of points. There arent many. Its why Savage got his bloated contract and I think someone will bite on Sillinger.

what does Sillinger have to do with any of this?

Old
08-16-2004, 05:54 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Good scorer, great passer. He's worth the 3+ millions for sure. I'd take him with the Habs any days of the week and twice on sunday.

the above sentiment could only be expressed by someone who is a fan of a team for which Stillman has never played a full season. Stillman shows up when he feels like it. You want to pay him 3+ million "any day of the week?" Huh... and I bet you're the same type of fan that screams about how overpaid the players are. Go figure

Old
08-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
the above sentiment could only be expressed by someone who is a fan of a team for which Stillman has never played a full season. Stillman shows up when he feels like it. You want to pay him 3+ million "any day of the week?" Huh... and I bet you're the same type of fan that screams about how overpaid the players are. Go figure
I fail to see how a left winger that can produce 80 points in a season is overpriced at 3 million a season

You know, you aren't stuck with freaking Pierre Dagenais as your second line left winger, I think you'd sing differently if you were in my position

Old
08-16-2004, 06:03 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
I fail to see how a left winger that can produce 80 points in a season is overpriced at 3 million a season

You know, you aren't stuck with freaking Pierre Dagenais as your second line left winger, I think you'd sing differently if you were in my position

The Blues have just as much depth issues where their forwards are concerned as do the Habs. That's not really my point either way. If you guys complain about players being overpaid (and nearly every poster here seems to) then how you can justify throwing 3+ million away on an admittedly talented but, frankly, soft, inconsistent forward who will always produce less than his talent warrents due to his indifference? I personally do not see Stillman, at least watching him closely during his time with the Blues, as a 'money' player. He has the talent, IMO, he lacks the heart. He will produce in spurts, sometimes during the playoffs. You just don't know what you'll get with him, though. And I have a feeling there are lockerroom issue's with Stillman as well. Based on his interaction with his teammates after his goals, etc., his fight w/a teammate in training camp a couple years back and some other things stick out in my mind. Anyway, no 3+ mill for players like that in the "new NHL" IMO. I am not denying his talent, but I sure wouldn't build a team around him and only core players are getting in excess of 3 mill a year in the new CBA. He's an inconsistent, non-core (therefore 'support' ) player and I wouldn't touch him for over 2.5. End of anything I have to say on the subject to be blunt.

Last edited by guitaraholic*: 08-16-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old
08-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

80 points by playing with Modin and Richards. Why do you think Stillman was benched for a game in the playoffs? It's because he's a lazy player.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:10 PM
El Wama

Quote:

Oh Oh Oh.. I agree with you... Stillman could fit very well as a LW in the Habs uniform... but not with Ribby & Ryder in the second line... A 3rd line(Bonk-Bulis) role could be great for Stillman, and Bulis more than anything else. Bulis(underrated), I've tell it before, can be a 20 goals scorer if he put 50% of his scoring chance in the net..

BTW.. Dagenais scored 17 times in 50 games last years, he has an incredible shot, and with Ryder and Ribeiro all year, 30 goals could be reachable.

Old
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
80 points by playing with Modin and Richards. Why do you think Stillman was benched for a game in the playoffs? It's because he's a lazy player.
yeah, I forgot aboot that. Thanks for reminding me. While we're out it, he was scratched for a critical playoff game against Detroit if I recall correctly when he was w/the Blues. Joel Q, a fine coach, chose not to play him in a crucial playoff game.
And you want to give him 3+ million dollars?

That's *very* unDude.

Old
Malakhov

Quote:
Lecavalier was almost benched and ignored by the same coach that benched Stillman, doesn't say much.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:12 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Lecavalier was almost benched and ignored by the same coach that benched Stillman, doesn't say much.

it speaks volumes. Look at how each player responded. Actually, tell you what, just look at which player got his contract renewed and which was told to go *lump* himself.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
What you don't get is Stillman was benched in the PLAYOFFS. Lecavalier wasn't close to getting benched in the playoffs.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:33 PM
operasen

Still will sit for a while and collect interest and offers. If someone jumped at him too soon after thias, GMs would look at an "outside the code" issue.

He'll get 3.25 - 3.5 I think. Any team with extra cash and a playoff shot would be interested. He could replace Bertuzzi if he's shut down. Look great in a Sens uni though.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:48 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
what does Sillinger have to do with any of this?
He obviously meant Stillman.

Old
08-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
What you don't get is Stillman was benched in the PLAYOFFS.
Stillman was injured in the first series and wasn't the same after that, that's why he got benched, he was more hurt than was reported.

He's a good player, and the only time he really stunk for Tampa was in Nov-Dec when the whole team stunk, so I don't blame him much for that. I never quite understood what all this "disappearing act" stuff that people complained about. He was consistent here, except for the playoffs, for which I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Doesn't mean anyone should pay him anywhere NEAR $3.9 mil a season though, he made $2.75 mil last year (though he wanted over $3 mil), and for what he produced he was well worth it. If Tampa can get him back for around that, I wouldn't mind, but now that Prospal's back, I don't know who he'd play with really. Maybe as insurance if Fedotenko tanks again (now THERE'S an inconsistent player for you).

Old
08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
He obviously meant Stillman.

not really 'obvious' though, as Sillinger was a UFA briefly this summer before re-signing w/the Blues. Thought he was in some way comparing the two.

Old
08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
detredWINgs

Stillman still works it ugly sometimes. From a Detroit perspective, I'd rather see him in the winged wheel than Glen Murray who would cost more anyways. Its not like Detroit doesnt know how to make lazy players work for them.

Old
08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
ahhhhhhhh, a dream come true. now, if i could only convince bob gainey to hire you...

Old
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Phanuthier*

Take this from a guy who watched Stillman play half his career for my team. Anything more then 2.5 million is way too much.

The guy's a soft floater, inconsistant and a born loser. Call me bitter if you want, but I was glad to see him go to the Blues. It's was pretty much addition by subtraction at the time, with Conroy turning out to be a bonus and we even got a 7th rounder with it.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:53 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

In all honesty I believe Stillman won't get any where near 3 million from any team. I think that our GM Jay Feaster here in Tampa is putting together quite a show when it comes to penny pinching and still getting what he wants. Gets Prospal for 250k less per year then he offered. And will resign Stillman for 2.75 million per, his last years salary.

Closed Thread