HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's next for Stillman?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Bolthed

vCash: 500
You don't know that Greg. If some team offers Stillman $3mil Feaster would still have the right to match.

Cory Stillman is the very definition of a skilled veteran, finesse scoring forward. He's extremely valuable and worth quite a bit of money I might add. His scoring has improved tremendously in the last couple of years and that coincides with his entering the prime years of veteran-hood.

Is he soft? Sure, Charminy. Is he inconsistent? Period to period, game to game, week to week - YES, but month to month and looking at the whole season - NO (point a game average says so). Does he float? Not like Stephanie Richer floated. Not like Brian Savage floats. Not like a lot of others float. The Stillman I've seen over the last couple of seasons displays pretty decent effort ... consistently. So I really don't get where all the negativity toward Stillman comes from. He's a scorer. He scores. He does it well. He gets paid. There's no mystery here. Anyone who suggests Stillman was overpaid last season at $2.75mil or suggests they wouldn't pay him a cent over $2.5mil - there's obviously a negative bias there, and IMO, it's unfounded.

The guy can play offense (and he's not really that bad in the other aspects of the game). He had a career year on what may be the NHL's deepest and most dynamic offensive team. No tremendous surprise. I suspect one of the rich teams out there will give him $3.15mil a season and the Lightning will obviously get nothing in return but nevertheless be happy with Prospal to replace him in the role of veteran scorer.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Stillman still works it ugly sometimes. From a Detroit perspective, I'd rather see him in the winged wheel than Glen Murray who would cost more anyways. Its not like Detroit doesnt know how to make lazy players work for them.

If the Wings could get him for around $2.5-3 million, that wouldn't be a bad a little pickup for them. That would be a little better buy than Murray. He wouldn't fit the bill as a power forward but he's got a scoring touch. An extra guy who can score 20-25 goals and get 60-70 points would be great.

He's only a year older than Prospal and had a much better year than him last season. I think the Lightning might regret letting him go in favor of bringing back Prospal and his higher price tag. I guess the knock against Stillman this past year was his absence on the scoresheet in the Stanley Cup Finals (1 assist in 6 games) and only 2 goals and 5 assists in 21 playoff games. It's hard to over look how good of a season he had though. Definitely a bold move by the Bolts to let go the second leading scoring on the team from last year.

Last edited by Shoalzie: 08-17-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old
08-17-2004, 05:23 AM
Jamie

The team I think that would have the most interest is the Nucks. I could see him being a nice replacement for Bert. Obviouslly not the same player, and no where near going to fully replace him, but he brings good offense and could be a good match with Naslund.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
If the Wings could get him for around $2.5-3 million, that wouldn't be a bad a little pickup for them.
See the post above yours, you can't get him for $2.5 unless you expect the Bolts won't match it.

Quote:
I think the Lightning might regret letting him go in favor of bringing back Prospal and his higher price tag.
Prospal's contract is for $2.5 mil/year for the next four years, that's cheaper than $3.9 mil for Stillman.

Quote:
Definitely a bold move by the Bolts to let go the second leading scoring on the team from last year.
Prospal was dumped year before last when he was the Bolts leading scorer, so we're used to this by now.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:11 AM
Donnie D

Quote:
See the post above yours, you can't get him for $2.5 unless you expect the Bolts won't match it.
Or receive compensation for not matching the offer.

Quote:
Prospal's contract is for $2.5 mil/year for the next four years, that's cheaper than $3.9 mil for Stillman.
And less than Stillman received last year I believe.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
I didn't realize the Ducks front ended his contract...he made $6.5 million last year. They did the same thing with Fedorov.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:41 AM
BlueForever

On a more serious note I wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs pick this guy up. Why not sign him for $3.12 mill and place him on the wing with Sundin. If he can rack up 80 points with Richards and Modin he most definitely can rack up the same with Sundin and Mogilny. Plus, this would be a great replacement for Renberg or Riechel.

Lines:

Stillman-Sundin-Mogilny
Roberts-Niewendyke-Antropov
Tucker-Stajan-Nolan
Domi-Wilm-Ponikarovski

Last edited by Sotnos: 08-17-2004 at 06:17 PM. Reason: quoted deleted post
Old
08-17-2004, 08:44 AM
No Canaduh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
I didn't realize the Ducks front ended his contract...he made $6.5 million last year. They did the same thing with Fedorov.
$4 million of that was a signing bonus.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:03 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
The team I think that would have the most interest is the Nucks. I could see him being a nice replacement for Bert. Obviouslly not the same player, and no where near going to fully replace him, but he brings good offense and could be a good match with Naslund.
Bertuzzi will be playing this year, thus there is no need to replace him.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
You don't know that Greg. If some team offers Stillman $3mil Feaster would still have the right to match.

Cory Stillman is the very definition of a skilled veteran, finesse scoring forward. He's extremely valuable and worth quite a bit of money I might add. His scoring has improved tremendously in the last couple of years and that coincides with his entering the prime years of veteran-hood.

Is he soft? Sure, Charminy. Is he inconsistent? Period to period, game to game, week to week - YES, but month to month and looking at the whole season - NO (point a game average says so). Does he float? Not like Stephanie Richer floated. Not like Brian Savage floats. Not like a lot of others float. The Stillman I've seen over the last couple of seasons displays pretty decent effort ... consistently. So I really don't get where all the negativity toward Stillman comes from. He's a scorer. He scores. He does it well. He gets paid. There's no mystery here. Anyone who suggests Stillman was overpaid last season at $2.75mil or suggests they wouldn't pay him a cent over $2.5mil - there's obviously a negative bias there, and IMO, it's unfounded.

The guy can play offense (and he's not really that bad in the other aspects of the game). He had a career year on what may be the NHL's deepest and most dynamic offensive team. No tremendous surprise. I suspect one of the rich teams out there will give him $3.15mil a season and the Lightning will obviously get nothing in return but nevertheless be happy with Prospal to replace him in the role of veteran scorer.
Easy there. Skilled vet? Finesse scoring forward? Ok so he does have a pretty good touch around the net, but thats really blowing hot air up Stillman's rear end. Simply, the guy was a born loser and that was one of the main reasons he was delt out of Calgary - he accepted losing, and floated his way basically throughout his career. No "winner" would be sat in the pressbox in (at the time) the most important game of the history of the franchise, especially being a so-called top 6 forward. His value? Consider that he was first delt for a 3rd line checker then a (2nd?) round draft pick, then there, you have his worth.

If you arn't consistant game-to-game, whats the point? Imagine how frustrating it is to have a guy like Stillman who doesn't put in the effort every time he goes to work, while you are trying to convince a guy like Vincent Lecavlier to give it his all on a game-in, game-out basis. You want to keep guys like Stillman away from your rookies and developing players, cause man, if they ever aquired the attitude Stillman had of being consistant only on a monthly or yearly basis, we'd have alot more Alexandre Daigle's around. Hey, I'm not saying Stillman's the worst floater... yes, there are guys like Richer who are worse, but I wouldn't want any of those guys on my team, and guys who play soft or below potential usually are part of losing teams or are usually forgotten in the league after stat-padding season (ala Craig Janny). Guys like Richards and St Louis are winners, and Vincent Lecavlier starting to put off-ice troubles behind him, you don't want a guy Cory Stillman in the dressing room ruining the atmosphere - not to say anything of his attitude, because he is one of the friendliest NHLers I've met, but his inconsistancy and lack of winning drive.

Call it negative bias if you want, there probably is some of it after watching him float through his seasons in Calgary, but I hold absolutely nothing against another Tampa former Flame, Martin St Louis, who is one of my favourite players in the league.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Benji Frank

Does anyone have a link showing what Stillman asked for in Arbitration and what the Bolts were offerring? I'm not sure the Lightning would still offerr the same amount as they went and grabbed Prospal right after the award was announced (sounds like it was sitting on the table as a plan B if Stillman was awarded to much), but on the other hand, he's probably a tradable asset if he's locked in at under 3 mill, so perhaps they might still match whatever another team might offer him......

Old
08-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
High scoring left wings are hard to find, and Stillman managed to finish 4th behind Kovalchuk, Naslund and Elias. He may not be a hard worker, but he did manage to put up 80 points last season. If hes inconsistant and can still put up that many points I think hes well worth over $3M. And justifying his point totals because he played with Modin and Richards doesnt seem right either, he finished with 1 more point than Richards and 23 more than Modin. I'm not trying to argue that hes a better player than both of them, but he held his own on that line. Say what you want, but you still need to be a great player to finish among the top 10 scorers no matter who your linemates are. I think people are focusing too much on his linemates and past and not enough on the production he provided the Lightning last season.

He probably wont produce 80 points if he leaves Tampa's offensive system, but should still be able to produce over 60 points which is still a good amount these days. I wouldnt pay him $3.9M, but I would consider giving him more than the $2.5M certain posters claim hes worth. A team having great leadership and grit but needing that offensive player for their 1st or 2nd line would benefit from signing Stillman at the $3.12M in my opinion, because he will finish with quite a few points even if he seems invisible sometimes.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
High scoring left wings are hard to find, and Stillman managed to finish 4th behind Kovalchuk, Naslund and Elias. He may not be a hard worker, but he did manage to put up 80 points last season. If hes inconsistant and can still put up that many points I think hes well worth over $3M. And justifying his point totals because he played with Modin and Richards doesnt seem right either, he finished with 1 more point than Richards and 23 more than Modin. I'm not trying to argue that hes a better player than both of them, but he held his own on that line. Say what you want, but you still need to be a great player to finish among the top 10 scorers no matter who your linemates are. I think people are focusing too much on his linemates and past and not enough on the production he provided the Lightning last season.
Ever looked into Craig Janney's stats? You'd be surprised to see a 102 pt season in there.

High scoring LWers? How about Paul Kariya, who was 2nd among LWers the year before? Ray Whitney, 3rd among LWers in pts that same year. Slava Kozlov, 4th among LWers in scoring. Geoff Sanderson, 6th among LWers. This is all the same season, might I add. Or how about the year before that? Eric Daze, 4th among LWers in pts. Brunette, 6th, Whitney 9th. Any of these guys worth over 2.5 mill?

Old
08-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Ever looked into Craig Janney's stats? You'd be surprised to see a 102 pt season in there.

High scoring LWers? How about Paul Kariya, who was 2nd among LWers the year before? Ray Whitney, 3rd among LWers in pts that same year. Slava Kozlov, 4th among LWers in scoring. Geoff Sanderson, 6th among LWers. This is all the same season, might I add. Or how about the year before that? Eric Daze, 4th among LWers in pts. Brunette, 6th, Whitney 9th. Any of these guys worth over 2.5 mill?
Looking at the current free agents available, Stillman at over $2.5M doesnt seem all that far fetched. Most of the big names available have similar problems and want twice as much. Murray was invisible in the playoffs, doesnt use his size properly, put up good numbers with Joe Thornton, yet $5M seems to be the price tag. Alexei Kovalev who had a terrible season last year wants a multi year deal at $5M per season. Zigmund Palffy, who is dominant when healthy I will admit, wants a $7M contract but has had injury problems. I'd much rather spend $2.75-$3.15M on Stillman who put up better numbers and has similar problems to the rest of them.

I'd pay Paul Kariya over $2.5M, he was a dominant player before the Suter hit. He had a bad season last year, but hes still a great hockey player. Eric Daze is a different case, if he didnt have a back problem he would be worth over $2.5M, he is a 30 goal scorer after all. Stillman isnt a similar player to Brunette or Whitney, so I dont see the comparison. Sanderson is a 30 goal scorer when hes on his game, he had a bad season like a few dozen other players last season.

If my team needs offense and I dont want to spend $5M on a free agent, I would seriously consider Stillman. Hes a great player for the money he makes. And I'm sure Feaster would have been and still is willing to sign Stillman at $2.75M, hes a great regular season producer.

Edit: Your argument consists of taking players who had bad seasons in 2003-2004 and comparing them to Stillman who had a top 10 season. How do you know Stillman will have a comparable season to Whitney's or Sanderson's 2003-2004 campaigns next season? Stillman's production in 2003-2004 warrants him over $2.5M. At the time Whitney was signed he was worth that amount according to Holland, it wasnt based on his 2003-2004 season totals.

The NHL believes Stillman is worth $3.9M after his 80 point season, but the chances he reaches that amount again is suspect, so he will take a slight pay cut, but not a $1.4M one.

Last edited by Thomas: 08-17-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old
08-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Looking at the current free agents available, Stillman at over $2.5M doesnt seem all that far fetched. Most of the big names available have similar problems and want twice as much. Murray was invisible in the playoffs, doesnt use his size properly, put up good numbers with Joe Thornton, yet $5M seems to be the price tag. Alexei Kovalev who had a terrible season last year wants a multi year deal at $5M per season. Zigmund Palffy, who is dominant when healthy I will admit, wants a $7M contract but has had injury problems. I'd much rather spend $2.75-$3.15M on Stillman who put up better numbers and has similar problems to the rest of them.

I'd pay Paul Kariya over $2.5M, he was a dominant player before the Suter hit. He had a bad season last year, but hes still a great hockey player. Eric Daze is a different case, if he didnt have a back problem he would be worth over $2.5M, he is a 30 goal scorer after all. Stillman isnt a similar player to Brunette or Whitney, so I dont see the comparison. Sanderson is a 30 goal scorer when hes on his game, he had a bad season like a few dozen other players last season.

If my team needs offense and I dont want to spend $5M on a free agent, I would seriously consider Stillman. Hes a great player for the money he makes. And I'm sure Feaster would have been and still is willing to sign Stillman at $2.75M, hes a great regular season producer.

Edit: Your argument consists of taking players who had bad seasons in 2003-2004 and comparing them to Stillman who had a top 10 season. How do you know Stillman will have a comparable season to Whitney's or Sanderson's 2003-2004 campaigns next season? Stillman's production in 2003-2004 warrants him over $2.5M. At the time Whitney was signed he was worth that amount according to Holland, it wasnt based on his 2003-2004 season totals.

The NHL believes Stillman is worth $3.9M after his 80 point season, but the chances he reaches that amount again is suspect, so he will take a slight pay cut, but not a $1.4M one.
Stillman at 2.5 mill may not be far fetched, but I would still be surprised if he got that. But then again, teams like Toronto, NYR, Dallas and Detriot always seem to be shelling out the dough. Of all the players you listed above for comparisons, all have consistantly had points over a number of years. Stillman hasn't. (Note: On top of that, I doubt any of those players will get what they are asking for. I expect them all to get 80% of what they are asking.) Ontop of that, all of them are easily better players then Cory Stillman. You might not see the comparison of Stillman to Brunette and Whitney, but I certainly do. In fact, I'd argue that Ray Whitney is better and worth more then Stillman. Brunette may be more of a worthy comparison.

If you want a guy who can go on streaks every so often, and in between be little more then a multi-million dollar pylon, then when the big game comes then all bets are off, then fine, Cory Stillman is your man. But if you want to build a strong team identity, then keep Stillman as far away as you can from your team and your young players. I'd rather go out and sign a Craig Conroy for the same ticket as Cory Stillman, as you know you'll get a consistant effort night in and night out, and especially in the clutch.

As for my argument, no I didn't only take the players with offseasons or whatnot. I took a list of the top 10 LWers in points the season before to show how much his argument ment.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
If you arn't consistant game-to-game, whats the point? Imagine how frustrating it is to have a guy like Stillman who doesn't put in the effort every time he goes to work, while you are trying to convince a guy like Vincent Lecavlier to give it his all on a game-in, game-out basis. You want to keep guys like Stillman away from your rookies and developing players, cause man, if they ever aquired the attitude Stillman had of being consistant only on a monthly or yearly basis, we'd have alot more Alexandre Daigle's around. Hey, I'm not saying Stillman's the worst floater... yes, there are guys like Richer who are worse, but I wouldn't want any of those guys on my team, and guys who play soft or below potential usually are part of losing teams or are usually forgotten in the league after stat-padding season (ala Craig Janny). Guys like Richards and St Louis are winners, and Vincent Lecavlier starting to put off-ice troubles behind him, you don't want a guy Cory Stillman in the dressing room ruining the atmosphere - not to say anything of his attitude, because he is one of the friendliest NHLers I've met, but his inconsistancy and lack of winning drive.
Yet, you cried for weeks (in your own words) when a born loser like Marc Savard got his behind pushed out of town. You use Stephane Richer as an example of a floater - at times. Richer certainly could be a floater, but he had HOF-caliber talent, which was often squandered. Yes, he could've been that good. (Ask long-time Sabres fans what he did in the playoffs, many years before, when Phil Housley stood like a pilon on a Richer breakaway. It still gets talked about.) Richer's been on Cup-winning teams more than once and in different cities, which says something. Meanwhile, Savard's string of playoff no-shows makes even Andrew Cassels look like a champion, by comparison. BTW, your assessment of Stillman is totally accurate, as galling as it is to have his name etched in the Holy Grail.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Thomas

Quote:
Stillman at 2.5 mill may not be far fetched, but I would still be surprised if he got that. But then again, teams like Toronto, NYR, Dallas and Detriot always seem to be shelling out the dough. Of all the players you listed above for comparisons, all have consistantly had points over a number of years. Stillman hasn't. (Note: On top of that, I doubt any of those players will get what they are asking for. I expect them all to get 80% of what they are asking.) Ontop of that, all of them are easily better players then Cory Stillman. You might not see the comparison of Stillman to Brunette and Whitney, but I certainly do. In fact, I'd argue that Ray Whitney is better and worth more then Stillman. Brunette may be more of a worthy comparison.

If you want a guy who can go on streaks every so often, and in between be little more then a multi-million dollar pylon, then when the big game comes then all bets are off, then fine, Cory Stillman is your man. But if you want to build a strong team identity, then keep Stillman as far away as you can from your team and your young players. I'd rather go out and sign a Craig Conroy for the same ticket as Cory Stillman, as you know you'll get a consistant effort night in and night out, and especially in the clutch.

As for my argument, no I didn't only take the players with offseasons or whatnot. I took a list of the top 10 LWers in points the season before to show how much his argument ment.
You did not look at the top 10 LWers, you looked at #2,#3,#4 and #6, all of whom had a poor season compared to what they are able to do.

If you look at the current market Stillman should easily be able to get $2.5M, and no not by some team overpaying for him. Brian Rolston got $3.2M from a small market team and he has comparable value to Stillman . He had a bad year, was invisible in the playoffs and was often found on the Bruins 4th line (I'd prefer having Stillman than Rolston, but thats me). Barnaby whos nothing more than a 3rd line player got $1.75M, I think Stillman is worth at least 750k more.

Players like Craig Conroy were picked up at the very beginning. Now you have the likes of Palffy, Murray, Kovalev, Kariya, Selanne, Carter and Stillman. Stillman doesnt look like that bad of an option next to those guys. If your a young team that needs a bit more offense for a year or two you can sign Stillman to a short term contract, something Palffy/Murray/Kovalev arent looking at doing. The market dictates the players worth, and right now I bet a team like Carolina, NYI etc wouldnt mind having Stillman for $2.5M. Hes not the most consistant or hard working player, but he still manages to put up the points making him worth his contract. Hes not ideal for a cup contender, but he would be a great signing for a team needing a little push to make it to the playoffs. You can say all the bad things you want about him, he still managed to finish 2nd in points on the best Eastern Conference team and the Stanley Cup winning team.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Yet, you cried for weeks (in your own words) when a born loser like Marc Savard got his behind pushed out of town
Well, I don't consider Marc Savard to be as much of a loser as Cory Stillman.

But the main reason why I did wasn't so much losing Savard, its who we got back. It still stings.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
You did not look at the top 10 LWers, you looked at #2,#3,#4 and #6, all of whom had a poor season compared to what they are able to do.

If you look at the current market Stillman should easily be able to get $2.5M, and no not by some team overpaying for him. Brian Rolston got $3.2M from a small market team and he has comparable value to Stillman . He had a bad year, was invisible in the playoffs and was often found on the Bruins 4th line (I'd prefer having Stillman than Rolston, but thats me). Barnaby whos nothing more than a 3rd line player got $1.75M, I think Stillman is worth at least 750k more.

Players like Craig Conroy were picked up at the very beginning. Now you have the likes of Palffy, Murray, Kovalev, Kariya, Selanne, Carter and Stillman. Stillman doesnt look like that bad of an option next to those guys. If your a young team that needs a bit more offense for a year or two you can sign Stillman to a short term contract, something Palffy/Murray/Kovalev arent looking at doing. The market dictates the players worth, and right now I bet a team like Carolina, NYI etc wouldnt mind having Stillman for $2.5M. Hes not the most consistant or hard working player, but he still manages to put up the points making him worth his contract. Hes not ideal for a cup contender, but he would be a great signing for a team needing a little push to make it to the playoffs. You can say all the bad things you want about him, he still managed to finish 2nd in points on the best Eastern Conference team and the Stanley Cup winning team.
Sorry to the first point, I'm kind of confusing myself with my own words here. My point was how much stats over 1 season ment to show how important it was that Stillman was a top scoring LWer for the first or second time of his generally long career.

I guess I haven't been keeping up with who is signing for what, but I'm using the expected economic model coupled with the history of Cory Stillman's as well as his inconsistantcy to arguet that Cory Stillman is not a player in high demand. As said, I have a hard time seeing a NHL team go out and spend more then 2.5 on Stillman, again who amazingly some how found his way into the most important game of the 12 year franchise, and has been known throughout his career as an inconsistant floater, to garner more then 2.5. While you use guys like Rolston as the bar to set, I see former NHLers Janney, Selivanov and Kovalenko as the pessimistic comparison.

Old
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
CapsCrazy

Send a message via AIM to CapsCrazy
Quote:
If you arn't consistant game-to-game, whats the point? Imagine how frustrating it is to have a guy like Stillman who doesn't put in the effort every time he goes to work.
Hmm, sounds a lot like Jagr. And he makes $11 mil a season. Now I am not saying Stillman has the skills of Jagr, but that completely wipes out your theory that "inconsistency" doesn't equal big bucks. If a guy puts up points, he's gonna get paid.

Old
08-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Canaduh!
$4 million of that was a signing bonus.

I see...

Old
08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsCrazy
Hmm, sounds a lot like Jagr. And he makes $11 mil a season. Now I am not saying Stillman has the skills of Jagr, but that completely wipes out your theory that "inconsistency" doesn't equal big bucks. If a guy puts up points, he's gonna get paid.
Well I never said inconsistancy doesn't equal big bucks.

Before I continue, maybe I should point out that Jagr signed that contract when he was a consistant superstar, and I'm sure the Rangers regret having him now.

My initial comment was that I'd be surprised if Stillman get more then 2.5 million. With the sure-fire "cost certainty" that is going to happen, the figures in loses, the payroll of an average team, exactly how smart is it to shell out 10% of your payroll to one 2nd line player? Under the expected CBA that includes a salary cap of 31-35 million, a UFA age lowered to 25-28 that will obviously free up alot of really good players, and expected loses int he first season back, why would you figure that a team would go the way's of making the same mistake as Martin Lapointe? Remember a few things... the lockout rumoured by some recently layed off officals to be 18-24 months, salary cap, lower UFA age, and maturation of young players, coupled with my arguments of Stillman's inconsistantcy and soft play, I don't believe Stillman will get that salary, or if he does, he will be overpaid. There's no rush to sign him now with the flooded UFA market, which might be the difference between Stillman and Rolston (although I don't proclaim I took that into consideration in my initial argument) whereas when Stillman signs, there will be less demand, he will have a lower value and teams young players may be more set while older cores may be finding ways to trim their payroll to the cap.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
I don't know, after paying Jason Allison $16 million for 26 games, $3.9 a year for Stillman doesn't seem that bad.

Career years get you the big contracts

-- Spooks

Old
08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooKy
I don't know, after paying Jason Allison $16 million for 26 games, $3.9 a year for Stillman doesn't seem that bad.

Career years get you the big contracts

-- Spooks
Well I'm under the impression that weeds like Stillman's suggested 3+ million salary are being scuffled out of the NHL

Old
08-17-2004, 04:35 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

If you watched any wings games last year, you would think differently. Whitney had about 75 points playing in CBJ where he averaged 6 MINUTES ON THE PP A GAME. Half the players in the NHL could put up 75 points with that PP time. He then comes to Detroit, starts out on 2nd line, and by the end of the season/playoffs, is pulling 4th line duty.

A perfect example of how "snake-bitten" Whitney has been is in that game against Anaheim where the wings lost 8-6 last year, Giguere had fallen out of the net, Whitney was standing in the crease with the puck and (if I remember correctly) Ruslan Salei was in net and made 3 saves before Whitney banged the fourth one home. 2 feet from the goalline with a defenseman playing pseudo goalie without any pads and it still took Whitney 4 shots to score.

As for Craig Conroy, I think I'd rather have a guy that can consistently score 20 goals every season than a guy who struggled to get into the DOUBLE DIGITS last season.

Last edited by detredWINgs: 08-17-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Closed Thread