HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's next for Stillman?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
As for Craig Conroy, I think I'd rather have a guy that can consistently score 20 goals every season than a guy who struggled to get into the DOUBLE DIGITS last season.
Again, your decision. They are two different players.

Again, in one corner, you have a guy benched for the most important game of the history of the franchise. In the other, you have a guy who's playing an important role in the Stanley Cup finals.

Suite yourself. It's all a matter of preference. To me, Stillman - a top 6 forward - getting benched for Game 6 facing elimination in the Stanley Cup finals spoke volumes to me. To the others, I guess its just water under the bridge.

Old
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Suite yourself. It's all a matter of preference. To me, Stillman - a top 6 forward - getting benched for Game 6 facing elimination in the Stanley Cup finals spoke volumes to me. To the others, I guess its just water under the bridge.
As I said before, he was injured in the first series and never recovered from it, so proclaiming that he was a "healthy scratch" in the finals and that it somehow "speaks volumes" is misleading to say the least. It's being as blown out of proportion here as Lecavalier's pre-Christmas benching was this past year.

The only ones who complain about Stillman are Blues and Flames fans, he played fine here. He's being let go for economic reasons, not because of his play. 20 goals out of him has been automatic for years, where's the inconsistency? At $2.5 mil, he'd be a steal, not an overpriced floater.

Old
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
CapsCrazy

Send a message via AIM to CapsCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman
But apparently it was because of an injury, not bad play.

Old
08-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Sotnos

Ooops, almost forgot...due to complaints I just deleted a good 15 posts from this thread, kindly keep it on topic, and remember that the topic is NOT the Leafs' payroll.

Thanks

Old
08-17-2004, 06:50 PM
x-bob

I really don't understand why they walked away. If I'm not mistaken, he was th 8th best scorer of the league last season. I find that 3.9 Million is pretty good for an 80 point guy even though he didn't show up juring the playoffs.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
As I said before, he was injured in the first series and never recovered from it, so proclaiming that he was a "healthy scratch" in the finals and that it somehow "speaks volumes" is misleading to say the least. It's being as blown out of proportion here as Lecavalier's pre-Christmas benching was this past year.

The only ones who complain about Stillman are Blues and Flames fans, he played fine here. He's being let go for economic reasons, not because of his play. 20 goals out of him has been automatic for years, where's the inconsistency? At $2.5 mil, he'd be a steal, not an overpriced floater.
Before you start shaking your head and start quoting things that weren't said, maybe you should actually read what's been said and reasons given so that I don't have to repeat things over and over. I explained how he has been inconsistant many times throughout this thread, and every single one of those seems to have flown right by your head, while imaginary quotes somehow appear.

As for his scratch, it was widely reported that he was sat for his poor play, and not an injury. Through the papers, radio, news on the internet and TV, none of them said anything about an injury, so since this is news to me, maybe you should explain exactly what type of injury this is, or have some kind of link to back up your statement.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
I really don't understand why they walked away. If I'm not mistaken, he was th 8th best scorer of the league last season. I find that 3.9 Million is pretty good for an 80 point guy even though he didn't show up juring the playoffs.
Tampa's GM doesn't agree with you, and I don't want him at $3.9 mil either.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:05 PM
DudeCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
Because Prospal did the same thing in 02-03. He left Tampa Bay, and all of a sudden, his 79 point season turned into a 54 point season.

Watch Stillman leave TB and get 55-60 points in the next season.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
He's being let go for economic reasons, not because of his play. 20 goals out of him has been automatic for years, where's the inconsistency? At $2.5 mil, he'd be a steal, not an overpriced floater.
Let's rewind to late December when Stillman was going through a stretch of 18 games, during which he scored all of 2 goals and 5 assists as the Bolts struggled to hold on to their hot start. He certainly wasn't playing like someone who deserved even $2.5 million then. We could also look at the 14-game stretch from January 17 to February 14 when Stillman again had 2 goals (both on the 27th vs. Pittsburgh). He did tally 16 assists in that span, but if we're talking about his goal-scoring ability, he had 2 long, long stretches where he didn't demonstrate it.

If I'm going to pay $2.5 million to a 25-goal scorer, I don't want him going 10-15 games (or more) unable to find the back of the net except in practice with the backup goalie on a water break woofing down nachos.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
As for his scratch, it was widely reported that he was sat for his poor play, and not an injury. Through the papers, radio, news on the internet and TV, none of them said anything about an injury, so since this is news to me, maybe you should explain exactly what type of injury this is, or have some kind of link to back up your statement.
I gotta say....remember - it was the playoffs. We all know how willing teams are to reveal injuries in the postseason. But....given his noraml penchant for inconsistency, I'd have to see proof as well before I bought the injury story.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeCar
Because Prospal did the same thing in 02-03. He left Tampa Bay, and all of a sudden, his 79 point season turned into a 54 point season.

Watch Stillman leave TB and get 55-60 points in the next season.
Ya but he played for a far worst team

Old
08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Before you start shaking your head and start quoting things that weren't said, maybe you should actually read what's been said and reasons given so that I don't have to repeat things over and over.
I don't read your posts as a general rule, so sorry if I missed a real gem. I'm certainly not making up quotes, I'm..hang on...QUOTING THEM.

Quote:
LOL, you are something else.

Anyway, the media also reported that Lukowich was a healthy scratch in the playoffs when he actually had a concussion (correctly reported locally), so it's not surprising that Stillman was reported as a healthy scratch. He had a problem with his hip from a missed check in the Isles series, sorry if I don't feel like doing research for you, maybe if you were more polite to me and others I'd be so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Let's rewind to late December when Stillman was going through a stretch of 18 games, during which he scored all of 2 goals and 5 assists as the Bolts struggled to hold on to their hot start.
And that was pretty much the only time he really stunk for an extended period that I remember, but no one could find the net at that time, think the team won 4 games in December. Did he help pull them out of it? Not particularly. Does he probably have the potential to do more than what he does? Yup, probably. He still got 20 goals, I think a 20 goal scorer with a nice amount of assists like he gets is worth $2.5mil.

Again, I must make the observation of what team's fans are his biggest critics. He was fine for Tampa, and I'm done with this thread. He's far from my favorite and I'm not all that inclined to stick up for the guy, not worth my time.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Let's rewind to late December when Stillman was going through a stretch of 18 games, during which he scored all of 2 goals and 5 assists as the Bolts struggled to hold on to their hot start. He certainly wasn't playing like someone who deserved even $2.5 million then. We could also look at the 14-game stretch from January 17 to February 14 when Stillman again had 2 goals (both on the 27th vs. Pittsburgh). He did tally 16 assists in that span, but if we're talking about his goal-scoring ability, he had 2 long, long stretches where he didn't demonstrate it.

If I'm going to pay $2.5 million to a 25-goal scorer, I don't want him going 10-15 games (or more) unable to find the back of the net except in practice with the backup goalie on a water break woofing down nachos.
Brett Hull went 22 games without a goal.

Funny how you talk about the whole team not doing well in that span, yet you only pick out Stillman.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I don't read your posts as a general rule, so sorry if I missed a real gem. I'm certainly not making up quotes, I'm..hang on...QUOTING THEM.

LOL, you are something else.

Anyway, the media also reported that Lukowich was a healthy scratch in the playoffs when he actually had a concussion (correctly reported locally), so it's not surprising that Stillman was reported as a healthy scratch. He had a problem with his hip from a missed check in the Isles series, sorry if I don't feel like doing research for you, maybe if you were more polite to me and others I'd be so inclined.
Well maybe if you didn't come across in such a condecending manner, you would get more respect? I don't care if you are a adminastrator or not, I treat people the same way they treat me. It's pretty simple, if your being a jackoff, I don't see why I can't reply with the same tone. What are you going to do, ban me for being mean? The only crime I'm guilty of is what your doing.

As well, if your going to put quotes around something, then it should be quoted properly, which you didn't do.

So... are you actually gonna back up what you say? Or are you going to continue pretending your better then me, and say that I'm not worth your time to back up a claim? Because there are a few people waiting for your reply. Until I otherwise see proof, I'll take the good word of the people working the Canadian Press and CBC rather then you, ok?

Last edited by Phanuthier*: 08-17-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old
08-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
Still will sit for a while and collect interest and offers. If someone jumped at him too soon after thias, GMs would look at an "outside the code" issue.

He'll get 3.25 - 3.5 I think. Any team with extra cash and a playoff shot would be interested. He could replace Bertuzzi if he's shut down. Look great in a Sens uni though.
I agree, I think a team out there will pony up around that amount you mentioned as well, even with all the CBA concerns. Craig Conroy got I believe around 3.1 mil a season from L.A. and Stillman consistantly puts up better regular season numbers than him (yes I know they don't play the same position but they both made it to the Finals and were traded practically straight up for one another so its a bit of a good comparison), so I can certainly see someone giving around the 3.25 - 3.5 mil that you suggested to Stillman.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Let's rewind to late December when Stillman was going through a stretch of 18 games, during which he scored all of 2 goals and 5 assists as the Bolts struggled to hold on to their hot start. He certainly wasn't playing like someone who deserved even $2.5 million then.
You're aware that he was playing on Tim Taylor's checking line during that time, right? It was part of the coach's tinkering to break the team out of its scoring slump. As soon as Stillman returned to a scoring-line role in January, he resumed his point-per-game pace.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:13 AM
joeminus

By the way, I find it endlessly amusing that people are judging Cory Stillman based on the kind of player he was five years ago.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
By the way, I find it endlessly amusing that people are judging Cory Stillman based on the kind of player he was five years ago.
Well I don't get the chance to see a ton of Tampa games but this year I had the opportunity to see 8 games of them (4 of them live) and Stillman didn't look to be any different from the player I watched when I had season's tix in his last year.

Old
08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
guitaraholic*

Quote:

yeah, the Cory Stillman of today would never be scratched from a playoff game.

Old
08-18-2004, 12:18 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
yeah, the Cory Stillman of today would never be scratched from a playoff game.
Injuries...

Old
08-18-2004, 12:55 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Injuries...
Uhm, no less a coach than Joel Quenneville, who's opinion on players is beyond reproach by anyone on this board, scratched Stillman from a critical playoff game against Detroit when Stillman was w/St.Louis. Injuries had NOTHING to do with it.

Old
08-18-2004, 01:01 PM
joeminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
Uhm, no less a coach than Joel Quenneville, who's opinion on players is beyond reproach by anyone on this board, scratched Stillman from a critical playoff game against Detroit when Stillman was w/St.Louis. Injuries had NOTHING to do with it.
That was three years ago. I was at that game. It was at the Joe. Stillman deserved it. He was playing like crap.

On the other hand, that has little if any bearing on Stillman's value as a hockey player today.

Old
08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
That was three years ago. I was at that game. It was at the Joe. Stillman deserved it. He was playing like crap.

On the other hand, that has little if any bearing on Stillman's value as a hockey player today.
4 years ago St Louis got waived by a poor Flames team. Players can improve or change.

What is interesting to look at is Stillman's shooting percentage in the playoffs. Its was about half than in the regular season. He still took plenty of shots but they didn't go in. Only against Calgary did he struggle to get his usual 2 SPG.

Fedotenko on the other produced fairly flukey shooting percentages in the playoffs, 27.9 is double his career average, and I think fairly unlikely to expect him to keep anything like 27.9 next year.

Old
08-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I personally would be angry if my team paid Stillman over 3. Heck, I'd be leary to even give him a raise of any kind. 1 year is one thing, but a player with an extremely checkered past should need to show it's not a fluke before getting such a sum of money.

Old
08-19-2004, 04:44 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiZO[X]
Bulis(underrated), I've tell it before, can be a 20 goals scorer if he put 50% of his scoring chance in the net..
honestly, this is rediculous. oliwa could be a 10 goal scorer if he converted more of his chance, hell domi could pot 25 it he'd convert more..

iggy could score 80

Closed Thread