HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs beat Pens 5-1 in Rookie game....

Old
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

vCash: 500
Leafs beat Pens 5-1 in Rookie game....

Great game. I'm still on a high still from getting a picture with Gardiner & Blacker!! (Gardiner is my fave) also got their autographs.

Was sitting the next table over from them where the restaurant are, watching the 3rd (after I got the picture with them)

After I took the picture, Gardiner asked me, if it turned out ok. I told him it was blurry, so he & Blacker re-did it.

The Leafs played good, but giving up the lead so early in the game sucked.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
aces235

That's really cool. I like that they asked you if it came out ok and redid it. Classy guys for sure.

Great game tonight!! Maybe ill see you there again next year!

aces235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Everlong
-

Hah, nice pic. They sound like great guys. Too bad you didn't get to see them play but I think it makes up for it.

For a lineup that I thought had weak offense going into the game, alot of people stepped up and I was impressed. I've got some crow to eat after Olden had a solid game. I didn't get to see the third period but he looked smooth and had better footspeed than I thought. Still skates huge circles when coming back but he'll adjust. McKegg was great and seems to always want the puck. He looks good as a winger and has a great touch. He just needs consistency. Carrick a good performace aswell, a goal, an assist and a fight. I love all the hitting in the past two games. Everything is hard, and everything is clean. Out of the guys who were injected into the lineup tonight I think Cowan was the standout. Solid both ends, and seems to have a good shot.

The sens will be a tough challenge. Their lineup is absolutely stacked.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces235 View Post
That's really cool. I like that they asked you if it came out ok and redid it. Classy guys for sure.

Great game tonight!! Maybe ill see you there again next year!
Gardiner was the one who asked me. Blacker left & went back to sit down again, Gardiner saw it was blurry said "hey Blacker, it's blurry, lets re-do it again"

After the 2nd one, Gardiner asked again, "How was that one?" I showed him & he said, "that's much better" I thanked him & Blacker afterwords for the picture & autographs

Why don't you post here more often? It was great meeting a follow, HFer / Twitter'er tonight?

Old
09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Dark Passenger

Really enjoyed game tonight, was actually more entertaining than last night.
Considering four of our best players were given the night off, have to like the fact we easily beat the Penguins.

McKegg was excellent tonight, after a fairly uneventful game against Chicago. He played a lot and was a threat on most shift. Ended up with a goal and two assists.
Tyler Brenner was aslo very good. Great pass to setup McKegg on a breakaway and also chipped in with a goal. He plays a fairly physical game also, forechecking hard and finishing checks.
Devane had another good night. No fights tonight, but real good cross crease pass on one of the goals and moves well for such a big guy. He's also good with the puck.
Sparks let in goal after 13 seconds, then shut the door rest of the game. He sort of remind you of Reimer. Big goalie who sits deep in the crease. Based on tonight, kid looks a legit prospect and will be interesting to watch his development this year.
Mitchell Heard also had a good game tonight. He looks a really good two way player. Tooks his goal really well. Roofed it from just outside the crease.

Of note. Both Percy and Broll left game early tonight, apparantly with injuries. Not sure what extent they are injured, hopefully nothing serious.

Leaf management were in an area top of the arena above the net on the east side. Didnt see Burke last night, but he was definitely there tonight and it looked like they had a lot more staff at the game tonight.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
aces235

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
Gardiner was the one who asked me. Blacker left & went back to sit down again, Gardiner saw it was blurry said "hey Blacker, it's blurry, lets re-do it again"

After the 2nd one, Gardiner asked again, "How was that one?" I showed him & he said, "that's much better" I thanked him & Blacker afterwords for the picture & autographs

Why don't you post here more often? It was great meeting a follow, HFer / Twitter'er tonight?
Gardiner sounds like a really nice guy. I love that he called blacker over to redo the picture. Quality young prospects. Good to see .
I usually just read the articles rofl. I will try and post more from now now

aces235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
Great game. I'm still on a high still from getting a picture with Gardiner & Blacker!! (Gardiner is my fave) also got their autographs.
Glad you had fun. Way more memories then watching them play.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Hah, nice pic. They sound like great guys. Too bad you didn't get to see them play but I think it makes up for it.

The sens will be a tough challenge. Their lineup is absolutely stacked.
Does it ever make up for it! I'll never forget it!! This is the 1st time I met hockey players!

Old
09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I didn't see the game. Were the goals all truculence, and did Burkie happen to luck into some skill with the players he acquired/drafted?

How was the knuckledragger Devane?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:51 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Glad you had fun. Way more memories then watching them play.
Defiantly, way more memories then watching them play. I hope Gardiner is on the leafs soon! That was really nice that Gardiner asked me twice how the pictures turned out, then re-did it with Blacker because the 1st one was blurry.

Old
09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
rj24

I missed some of the game but the 3 goals I saw were nice, especially McKegg's. Also Devane was very solid.

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Autologic
@Dropinlogic

Quote:
I didn't see the game. Were the goals all truculence, and did Burkie happen to luck into some skill with the players he acquired/drafted?

I think we definitely lucked out picking up McKegg in the 3rd round last year. He was the standout for me tonight. Was also glad to see Heard pick up a goal, hope we offer him a contract.

Autologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:

Devane was good. He didnt fight tonight, but imagine his knuckles were sore from the fight the previous night. I really like his potential as a 4th line heavyweight who can actually move up the depth chart if needed. His skating has improved and he's been out killing penalties these past two games. He's also good with the puck and protects it well down low. Great cross crease pass tonight on Brenner's goal.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:02 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Game in Six Recap

indigobuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

awesome to hear about that Guru! SOOO JEALOUS!!!

love gardiner and glad to see he was nice about it

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

we are unstoppable.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

i just watched the replay, sparks got good game, the first one excluded.

I was expecting more from olden and leivo but with my wifi being weak couldn't keep a solid look, anyone wanna weighn in ?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Crosscheck1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i just watched the replay, sparks got good game, the first one excluded.

I was expecting more from olden and leivo but with my wifi being weak couldn't keep a solid look, anyone wanna weighn in ?
From what I saw, Leivo was very ordinary, if that. He had multiple shifts where you knew he was out there, but didn't even hear or see him anywhere near the puck/plays. Had a couple of decent shifts early but aside from that, somewhat disappointing.

Olden was buzzing all game, always around and making plays. I noticed that he likes to work around the slots, and had a couple of shots/set-ups from inside the circles. Good game from him.

Topic:

I liked Brenner a lot. Had 2-3 nice hits and of course the goal. He has some good speed on top of that. His hits weren't anything to laugh at, either. Recall a very nice open ice hit.

Thought Sparks had an outstanding game. Really unfortunate about the first one, but these things happen. Settled down nicely and even made a couple of Reimer-esque saves in the second half of the game.

Finally I thought McKegg and Heard were great. Both were constantly making plays in the offensive zone and both could have easily had 2 goals each.

Crosscheck1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:05 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
2-0 baby!

Somebody stop us!

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:19 AM
The K Man

Even though he hasn't been productive, I'm really liking Olden. Looks like a real smooth player with a great IQ, just needs to adjust to NA style of rink, he keeps beating defenders on the outside but ends up in the corner, and can't do anything with the puck.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:54 AM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
we are unstoppable.
Until you meet the Sens.

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Yosho
Logic

Like others have said, Olden definitely stood out - He has WHEELS. Also nice to see some physicality from him. Now he just needs some meat on his bones.

I really liked Brenner's game last night, too. He definitely doesn't shy away from physicality and is very aware offensively.

Sparks was solid as well

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:28 AM
naturalnumbas

McKegg for player of the game, I'm sure there won't be many arguments there.

Spark had a great night too.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
Until you meet the Sens.
Actually, it's the complete opposite. I am putting my money on the Leafs taking it 4-1.

Back on topic, Mckegg was a force out there the entire game. Heard, Carrick, Brenner, and Devane also had a good game.

Spark was pretty calm and solid in the net the whole game except for first 15 seconds.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:31 AM
SprDaVE

I thought Clarke on defense had a solid game. He really stepped it up.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote