HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Advice needed on planning Rangers trip in Canada

Old
09-12-2011, 06:52 AM
English Ranger

vCash: 500
Advice needed on planning Rangers trip in Canada

Morning,

I am planning a trip in January to take in the two games in Canada at Toronto and Montreal.

Having been over to NYC twice in the last year to catch games at the Garden I thought it might be nice to watch the team on the road.

Will it be relatively easy to secure tickets for away games? Are away fans made welcome in hockey? I watch soccer and you wouldn't risk going in the home end at a soccer match as an away fan.

Do the Rangers have many travelling fans?

Any away games close to each other which would be a better trip / experience?

Oh, and one last thing. My favourite player is Brandon Prust. How is he looking for the forthcoming season? Will he feature as much?

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post
Morning,

I am planning a trip in January to take in the two games in Canada at Toronto and Montreal.

Having been over to NYC twice in the last year to catch games at the Garden I thought it might be nice to watch the team on the road.

Will it be relatively easy to secure tickets for away games? Are away fans made welcome in hockey? I watch soccer and you wouldn't risk going in the home end at a soccer match as an away fan.

Do the Rangers have many travelling fans?

Any away games close to each other which would be a better trip / experience?

Oh, and one last thing. My favourite player is Brandon Prust. How is he looking for the forthcoming season? Will he feature as much?
Games in Montreal and Toronto, while not impossible to secure, are NOT easy. My recommendation is not to plan any travel until you are sure you will be attending these games. You will always encounter Rangers fans in any road arena.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Games in Montreal and Toronto, while not impossible to secure, are NOT easy. My recommendation is not to plan any travel until you are sure you will be attending these games. You will always encounter Rangers fans in any road arena.
I live in Canada and its not easy........fans are hardcore. you can find ticks online but it will cost ya

fans in TO are very friendly so no worries, never been to Montreal

you will have a great time though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:52 AM
ranger_nick

I live in montreal, it is not easy to get tickets but you can get them online.

Yes there are some ranger fans at the games.

and yes Get ready to get really annoyed by habber fans. i stopped going to the games cause i just can't take them. But it is different i use to go to every game the rangers were in town so i reached a level of annoyance i just couldn't handle and prefer to watch it on tv now. much for me to take.

For a first time visitor you'll probably enjoy it.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
English Ranger

Cheers all.

I guess Stub Hub etc are the best places to try for tickets?

Any other stuff in Toronto and Montreal I should check out while I am there?

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Hurley's Pub in Montreal is a cool irish pub with live music, it's a short walk from the Bell Centre.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post
Cheers all.

I guess Stub Hub etc are the best places to try for tickets?

Any other stuff in Toronto and Montreal I should check out while I am there?
toronto - hockey hall of fame

also - make sure you have tickets before buying your plane ride. you may find that your plane ride isn't that much more expensive than buying your game tickets.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Yes, HHoF is a must-see.

Plenty of great restaurants in Toronto and Montreal too. I still remember how good the food at Les Pyranees in Montreal was.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:19 AM
CH2

If you go to Toronto, going to Gretzky's is a must. Good food, amazing memorabilia and within walking distance to the air Canada centre

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
patnyrnyg

I have been to both arenas, as well. For the Habs, I was able to buy from whichever service the Habs use (wasn't ticketdisaster). For the Leafs, went stubhub.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:14 PM
pld459666

The tickets for the Tor-NYR game are going to be costly.

very pricey indeed.

The city is nice, the people are nice.

was there when Bure scored on a breakaway with less than a minute left to give the Rangers a 4-3 lead (and eventual win)

The looks we got from young and old alike was kind of nerve rattling.

Was an awesome time.

Visit the HHOF and that big old pin-wheel in the sky

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
slickjay

i'm a rangers fan living in toronto and like others have said, it's not easy to get tickets through ticketmaster but you'll always be able to find something on stubhub. they release a few tickets 24-48 hours before each game as well so if you're really stuck you can check that but i'm sure you'll want tickets before leaving the ACC is extremely expensive both in ticket price and concessions. toronto is an awesome city and the center of the hockey universe.

montreal is another great city that is a lot of fun. although i can't stand their fans there's a lot of fun to be had.

slickjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Gatorade*

Don't forget to go to Gretzky's on Blue Jay Way in Toronto. It's a great spot for a pre-game.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If i had time, Id drive to Stowe, VT. Hang out for a few days and ski, then head up to Montreal, not that long from there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I'm a sabres and rags fan who's been living in Montreal for a long time so I'll chime in.

As just about everyone else has mentioned, tickets are going to be costly. I'm sure you'll be able to get something, but the pricing is not going to be what you're used to anywhere else you've been.

From my personal experience, Habs fans tend to dislike the Rags, but not fans of the Rags per se. It's not like, say, their hatred for anyone or anything having to do with Boston. They're probably going to be annoying to a certain degree, but I wouldn't be worried about any physical harm or anything. It really can go both ways... and I guess it depends on how many of you there will be, and how loud you're gonna be compared to who's around you.

I always wear my Sabres/Rags jerseys when I go see games here, even if it's just in a bar... and it's always been mostly fine, but I do speak the language and go with a bunch of Habs fans friends, so I don't know what it's like as a true outsider. Worst that's happened to me is having to deal with insane homer ignorance/arrogance - "blablabla 24 cups".

Either way, Montreal's a great city worth visiting. I was born and raised in NYC, and I've been out here for over 10 years by choice if that's any indication, so come on over and have fun =)

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I'm a sabres and rags fan who's been living in Montreal for a long time so I'll chime in.

As just about everyone else has mentioned, tickets are going to be costly. I'm sure you'll be able to get something, but the pricing is not going to be what you're used to anywhere else you've been.

From my personal experience, Habs fans tend to dislike the Rags, but not fans of the Rags per se. It's not like, say, their hatred for anyone or anything having to do with Boston. They're probably going to be annoying to a certain degree, but I wouldn't be worried about any physical harm or anything. It really can go both ways... and I guess it depends on how many of you there will be, and how loud you're gonna be compared to who's around you.

I always wear my Sabres/Rags jerseys when I go see games here, even if it's just in a bar... and it's always been mostly fine, but I do speak the language and go with a bunch of Habs fans friends, so I don't know what it's like as a true outsider. Worst that's happened to me is having to deal with insane homer ignorance/arrogance - "blablabla 24 cups".

Either way, Montreal's a great city worth visiting. I was born and raised in NYC, and I've been out here for over 10 years by choice if that's any indication, so come on over and have fun =)
*Rangers

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Went to a NYR-TOR game a while back. Plenty of Ranger fans all over the ACC, so don't worry. The one thing I noticed though is that Toronto arena is really quiet...and this was back when they were competitive too...

It was fun though, met a bunch of NYR fans in my section.

09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I always wear my Sabres/Rags jerseys when I go see games here, even if it's just in a bar... and it's always been mostly fine, but I do speak the language
I have been to Montreal a few times and found just about everyone spoke English. Quebec City was a different story, but my wife speaks French, so we got around fine.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
ogie

The only advice i can give about seeing games in Montreal is ... make sure you hit up La Banquise to get some Poutine. I dream of the awesomness of their poutine when i lie awake at night.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote