HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Stillman

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Corey Stillman

Since it is now offical that the Lightning will not be signing Stillman and he is now a free agent...what about signing him to play our left wing and that would be our final signing?

a line of:

Stillman - Nylander - Jagr...not too shabby

Old
08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Since it is now offical that the Lightning will not be signing Stillman and he is now a free agent...what about signing him to play our left wing and that would be our final signing?

a line of:

i wouldn't expect the rangers to sign anybody until after the lockout is settled but wtf do i know.

he would help but at what price?

Old
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
icthelight

exactly, as long as its a 2 year low priced deal

Old
08-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Balej20*

Well he was awarded 3.9 by the arbitor.

Old
08-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Well he was awarded 3.9 by the arbitor.
who can blame tampa from walking away?

Old
08-16-2004, 09:40 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
You must understand that NY, in many fans' eyes, is not a place for proven, legit talent... :

Old
08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
who can blame tampa from walking away?
I think the main reasn they walked away was not because he didn't deserve that monye, but simply because they just cant afford it. The guy had 80 points last year and isn't exactly over the hill...Now would i want the rangers to spend that much, thats another issue...

Old
08-16-2004, 09:50 PM
NYR469

the offer would have to be for a minimum of $3.12 mil/year or tb could match the offer...and i doubt he'd be looking to leave the defending champs to sign a short-term deal with the rangers...

stillman's agent will shop him to all the contenders saying he was the final peice for tb and he could do the same for them

Old
08-16-2004, 10:11 PM
drewcon40

Stillman Link

I posted this a couple of weeks ago. There was a rumor from Spector's site that Tampa Bay was not going to sign him or qualify him. I can't beleive they reacquired Prospal. I was listening to one of the TB/NYR games on the radio one night and on the pregame show, they interviewed someone on the staff. (It might have been Tortarella.) TB didn't have much kind words to say regarding Prospal and praised Stillman (which is not unlike any team to do to their own player but they knocked Prospal for going to Anaheim).

Anyway, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, if Stillman was willing to come here knowing the state the Rangers are in and would be willing to take a resonable contract, you can do a lot worse than Cory Stillman as a top 2 LW.

Old
08-16-2004, 10:44 PM
vbox81

Look at it from TB though. They offered Prospal a 4-year 2.75 each. he goes to ANA from 4@2.5 with a 4MM signing bonus. TB saves 4MM upfront AND .25MM a year to get the player they want.

We can offer Stillman less and TB won't match, he won't fit in their scheme unless they don't sign Andreychuk. I think a 1-year, 3MM offer with a team option at 3.2 from 2006 is in order.

Old
08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
NYRangers

Sign him and heres another FA bust. Think he will get 80 points in NY? Nope.

Old
08-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Look at it from TB though. They offered Prospal a 4-year 2.75 each. he goes to ANA from 4@2.5 with a 4MM signing bonus. TB saves 4MM upfront AND .25MM a year to get the player they want.
but they gave up a second round pick in a very deep draft......

Old
08-16-2004, 11:47 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
but they gave up a second round pick in a very deep draft......
Chances are that pick will be about 57th or so.

Giving up the 57th pick to save nearly $1.5 million per season is worth it.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Chief

...and they're getting a 29 year old player in his prime...a player who already had success on TB...a player that can play LW or C...a player who outscored Jaromir Jagr just two seasons ago...great move by TB...they replace a more expensive, older player with a younger, cheaper potentially better player...how many championship teams can pull that off?

BTW - I would rather have had Prospal than Nylander but with 3 second rounders next draft I guess we couldn't part with one

Old
08-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Let's see, Stillman is overrated, soft, coming off a good year on a great offensive team that he is not likely to repeat, and overpaid. Sounds like a perfect Ranger.

And trading a draft pick for a veteran is something a contending team does, not a rebuilding team. It's a great deal for Tampa, but would be an atrocious deal for us. We need all the draft picks we can get at this point. Nylander cost us nothing but cash.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:01 PM
homerneedsdonut

vCash:
Stillman is OK. Let's face facts. Nobody cares about Tampa or 95% of the other teams in the league. That is why even a rebuilding team in NY has more appeal to most then Tampa. Watching paint dry in Tampa is usually a fun filled evening.

I'd rather go for Bondra. He probably would take a 1 or 2 year deal at around 2.5.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerneedsdonut
Stillman is OK. Let's face facts. Nobody cares about Tampa or 95% of the other teams in the league. That is why even a rebuilding team in NY has more appeal to most then Tampa. Watching paint dry in Tampa is usually a fun filled evening.
Except, of course, when they're winnning the Stanley Cup.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
And trading a draft pick for a veteran is something a contending team does, not a rebuilding team. It's a great deal for Tampa, but would be an atrocious deal for us. We need all the draft picks we can get at this point. Nylander cost us nothing but cash.
This veteran you're talking about is 29, not some over the hill geezer. I'll take that kind of vet, in his prime, with plenty of upside, anyday, over a 32 year old who has seen his best days (and those best days weren't even that great to begin with). And if you were looking to move both players in the future, the younger, cheaper player will be easier to trade, not to mention also probably bring you back a better return.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Stillman was awarded $3.9 mil in arbitration. We would have to sign him for at least 80% of that award otherwise Tampa has the right to match. That makes Stillman more expensive.

And Nylander's best days trump Stillman's when he's not on a team stacked with talent. Stillman is a veteran player who put up big numbers by riding shotgun to some amazing talents. He would be hard pressed to come anywhere near those numbers on a team like ours.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Sicilian

i think i would pass on stillman. hard to believe he would repeat the success he had in tampa on our team, even playing with nylander and jagr. and that's another thing, i like the idea of trying to play lundmark (or a similar young talent) on the top line with nylander and jagr, rather than stacking the 1st line with veterans. we don't need a big top scoring line this season, we need to see what our prospects can do, and i wanna see how they would respond with great veteran linemates and some top ice time. only if they're willing to work for it, of course, but if we did sign a talented veteran lw, i think he should play with a young center and balej, while the top line lw position is given to the most deserving kid.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Stillman was awarded $3.9 mil in arbitration. We would have to sign him for at least 80% of that award otherwise Tampa has the right to match. That makes Stillman more expensive.

And Nylander's best days trump Stillman's when he's not on a team stacked with talent. Stillman is a veteran player who put up big numbers by riding shotgun to some amazing talents. He would be hard pressed to come anywhere near those numbers on a team like ours.
Stillman 645 184 250 434
Nylander 648 140 307 447

Not much different over their careers.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Fletch

Slewfoot...

Kodiak states 'when he's not on a team stacked with talent', implying that taken the two on a stand-alone basis, Nylander's better.

Old
08-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Kodiak

Exactly what I was saying Fletch. Let's take a closer look at Stillman and Nylander. Stillman spent 1994-2001 on weak Calgary teams. In that situation, he develops into a winger good for about 25 goals a year. He breaks 20 goals or is on pace to break 20 in 5 of his 6 full years in Calgary, but breaks (or is on pace to break) 50 points only 3 times. He gets traded to St. Louis and his first year is more of the same -- 23 goals and 45 points. In his second year in St. Louis, Demitra, MacInnis, and Mellanby all have huge years with Weight and Tkachuk putting up good numbers as well. Stillman still gets ~25 goals, but suddenly his assist total jumps from his usual 20-30 for 40-50 points to 43 for 67 points. This year in Tampa, Stillman plays alongside players like St. Louis (the Art Ross winner), Richards (79 pts), Lecavalier (32g 66pts), and Modin (29g 57pts) and again Stillman gets his 25 goals, but this time his assist total jumps up to 55 for 80 pts. So either Stillman is suddenly a great playmaker (he's not) or he was just in the right place at the right time.

Nylander did not get a chance to play an offensive role with regular ice time until we was traded from Tampa to Chicago in 1999. Before that, he was considered more of a tweener and was bumped around from team to team. After being traded to Chicago, Nylander put up 51 points in 66 games, which would have given him 63 pts if he played the full 82 games in that position. Over the next 3 years, Nylander averaged 81 games played with 19 goals and 43 assists for 62 points between Chicago and Washington, but his teams never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

So all things considered, I'd take Nylander on my team over Stillman.

Old
08-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Kodiak states 'when he's not on a team stacked with talent', implying that taken the two on a stand-alone basis, Nylander's better.
I know what he meant but I don't agree. I don't think either one is a difference maker. BTW , they both played on the same Calgary team for 2+ years with comparable numbers.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:03 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:

a line of:

i would rather see stillman with ....

stillman- lundmark - balej
wiseman - nylander -jagr

get wiseman time with some good scoring vets. im high on wiseman i think he can turn out to be a 20-25 goal man. i think nyr will be very shocked with what the kid can do. if nyr does not want wiseman , then place him on the 3rd and or 4th line, and sign some young kid to play on line one lw.

Closed Thread