HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Drive

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2011, 10:11 PM
  #51
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Saying Gosling is like James Dean is pretty close to any actor around at the moment, he's always been a talented actor, shocked some people are just starting to notice him.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:40 PM
  #52
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 18,271
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I'd say it's more graphic than Irreversible, but not as bad since there was no sexual context.
It's more graphic than a guy getting his head smashed in by a fire extinguisher? Jesus Christ. I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'm already cringing.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
  #53
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
It's more graphic than a guy getting his head smashed in by a fire extinguisher? Jesus Christ. I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I'm already cringing.
I was actually thinking of Irreversible when I was watching it, and this is probably why:
Quote:
Refn spoke to Gaspar Noé and asked him how he did the head-smashing scene in his film Irréversible (2002).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_%282011_film%29

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:33 PM
  #54
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,738
vCash: 500
Awards:
I saw this movie tonight. In the row in front of me sat a man and a woman with their two kids, one who was probably about 13 and the other couldn't have been older than 10. They stayed for the entire movie too.

Although I actually checked the movie poster on my way out of the theatre to see what the rating was, and it's PG-13 (in Canada, at least). How?!

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:11 AM
  #55
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I saw this movie tonight. In the row in front of me sat a man and a woman with their two kids, one who was probably about 13 and the other couldn't have been older than 10. They stayed for the entire movie too.

Although I actually checked the movie poster on my way out of the theatre to see what the rating was, and it's PG-13 (in Canada, at least). How?!
Did you watch it in Montreal? Unlike the U.S. (and its controversial MPAA), Canada's rating system is a provincial matter. I've always thought that La regie du cinema de Quebec is the most liberal ratings board in Canada (and no, I'm not using the term liberal with any disdain like some of our American friends).

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:39 AM
  #56
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,738
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Did you watch it in Montreal? Unlike the U.S. (and its controversial MPAA), Canada's rating system is a provincial matter. I've always thought that La regie du cinema de Quebec is the most liberal ratings board in Canada (and no, I'm not using the term liberal with any disdain like some of our American friends).
I did, and I did not know that it was provincial. Interesting. I seriously have to wonder if the Regie actually watched this one.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:09 AM
  #57
Heisenberg77
Registered User
 
Heisenberg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,104
vCash: 500
******* incredible. Absolutely ******* incredible. Amazing style. Amazingly shot. Amazing acting. Mesmerizing soundtrack. Incredibly tense and badass violence.

And then there's the girl. My god. Something about her. I wish she was my "girl next door". She had something about her that hit me like no other female character has ever done in a movie.

And I haven't even mentioned Gosling. Holy crap what a performance. One of my favorite movies in a long time. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray.


Last edited by Heisenberg77: 09-18-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:16 AM
  #58
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I did, and I did not know that it was provincial. Interesting. I seriously have to wonder if the Regie actually watched this one.
It's 18A in the rest of Canada.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:59 AM
  #59
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,560
vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
It's 18A in the rest of Canada.
...wasn't Blue Valentine originally hit with an NC-17, before landing on an R in the States? How are these two movies on a relative par in terms of ratings in English-speaking North America? If Gosling has any thoughts on the matter, I'd be curious to hear them.


Last edited by kihei: 09-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.
kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:19 AM
  #60
Armond White
Go Sabres!
 
Armond White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oakland Zoo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,301
vCash: 500
It's pretty amazing, although...

Spoil:
I usually don't like movies where the guy and girl get together, but I think they could have at the end of Drive and I wouldn't have minded.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:36 AM
  #61
The Joker*
Simba
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,800
vCash: 500
Spoil:
The ending was perfect. They didn't need to get together, he served his purpose. He drives.

The Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:39 PM
  #62
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes
 
Randy Butternubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sliberty
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
The violence isn't like Saw or Hostel. The death scenes in this are like a more extreme version of the death scenes in Cronenberg's Eastern Promises.

****ing crazy. Two couples walked out after the elevator scene, and the violence wasn't even shown here.
That's not true.

Spoil:
They had a brief cut of the last stomp showing the head break apart.


Also, the ending...

Spoil:
Definitely thought he wasn't getting up from that.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
  #63
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,567
vCash: 500
I absolutely loved Carey Mulligan in this movie. Just the type of girl you want to bundle up and get cozy with, cup those cheeks and just stare at her. Not drop dead stunner or anything like that but something about her is so appealing. Of course she was fantastic in this movie as an actress.

Anyways I give this movie a 9.5/10, totally my cup of tea and I thought the directing was phenomenal, the acting was great, everything was just great, I think I'm going to have to see it again... Soundtrack was amazing too...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 06:03 PM
  #64
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
...wasn't Blue Valentine originally hit with an NC-17, before landing on an R in the States? How are these two movies on a relative par in terms of ratings in English-speaking North America? If Gosling has any thoughts on the matter, I'd be curious to hear them.
It certainly is interesting seeing these two films rated the same (I believe both were 18A here in Alberta).

Drive earns that 18A easily, and I am definitely of the thought that sexuality is often times way to strictly rated in comparison to violence.

However, think Blue Valentine earns the 18A as well. In fact, it was perhaps a more difficult movie for me to watch than Drive was.
Spoil:
It earns it in my mind at least when Gosling's character essentially ***** his wife. Sex in movies gets way to harshly rated, but sexual violence I have no issue whatsoever of giving very strict rating.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:01 PM
  #65
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
...wasn't Blue Valentine originally hit with an NC-17, before landing on an R in the States? How are these two movies on a relative par in terms of ratings in English-speaking North America? If Gosling has any thoughts on the matter, I'd be curious to hear them.
- Blue Valentine was rated 13+ for "Érotisme" in Quebec.

http://www.rcq.qc.ca/RCQ212AfficherF...tNoFilm=349503

- Regarding Gosling on the NC-17 rating: "There’s plenty of oral sex scenes in a lot of movies, where it’s a man receiving it from a woman — and they’re R-rated,” Ryan said in an interview posted on AceShowbiz. “Ours is reversed and somehow it’s perceived as pornographic. Black Swan has an oral scene between two women and that’s an R rating, but ours is between a husband and his wife and that’s NC-17?”

"It stigmatizes the movie in a big way,” he added. “What we’re really saying is not that our kids can’t see this movie but nobody can see this movie unless you live in a big city and there’s an art house theater.”

http://www.okmagazine.com/2010/12/ry...ack-swan-is-r/

- And yes, like hototogisu mentioned, Drive is also rated 13+ here in Quebec for violence.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
  #66
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,560
vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
- Blue Valentine was rated 13+ for "Érotisme" in Quebec.

http://www.rcq.qc.ca/RCQ212AfficherF...tNoFilm=349503

- Regarding Gosling on the NC-17 rating: "There’s plenty of oral sex scenes in a lot of movies, where it’s a man receiving it from a woman — and they’re R-rated,” Ryan said in an interview posted on AceShowbiz. “Ours is reversed and somehow it’s perceived as pornographic. Black Swan has an oral scene between two women and that’s an R rating, but ours is between a husband and his wife and that’s NC-17?”

"It stigmatizes the movie in a big way,” he added. “What we’re really saying is not that our kids can’t see this movie but nobody can see this movie unless you live in a big city and there’s an art house theater.”

http://www.okmagazine.com/2010/12/ry...ack-swan-is-r/

- And yes, like hototogisu mentioned, Drive is also rated 13+ here in Quebec for violence.
Gosling made a good point. The Quebec rating for Blue Valentine certainly makes a lot of sense; on Drive, I think that's more open to debate.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  #67
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,354
vCash: 500
Saw it on Saturday and was really unsure of what I thought at first. After thinking about it, it is just an amazing movie. The whole movie turned when he was having breakfast and the guy approached him imo. Got to really see he had a crazy side to him.

Gosling with an amazing performance.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
  #68
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 379
Very good movie, watched it today for the first time. I would give it a 9 out 10. The soundtrack works well with the movie.

Killahpunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:57 AM
  #69
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 59,709
vCash: 50
Went and saw this movie last night, having read just a brief blurb on the general plot, and not having watched a trailer. Didn't think it was going to be that great to be honest. Holy crap that was awesome... Although when I left, I was mostly think that was meh. After it sank it, it just gets better and better.

Anyone else just get this vibe that this movie just seemed so real? I'm not even exactly sure I can pinpoint what made it feel that way, but it certainly did.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
  #70
blueowl2
Caniac
 
blueowl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneKenov View Post
I saw this the first time, when it was called The Transporter.
this is NOTHING like the transporter.

Drive is an outstanding movie with original grit, amazing score, fantastic acting and pays classic homage to 80's style.

one of my top 3 movies of all-time

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:54 PM
  #71
blueowl2
Caniac
 
blueowl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Saw it on Saturday and was really unsure of what I thought at first. After thinking about it, it is just an amazing movie. The whole movie turned when he was having breakfast and the guy approached him imo. Got to really see he had a crazy side to him.

Gosling with an amazing performance.
hahaha yes! "How about this, you shut your mouth. Before I kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:17 AM
  #72
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,316
vCash: 500
It amazes me that some people would avoid watching something that's getting huge praise for having a similar concept to something that was terribly done, not because it means it'll probably be bad, but because "it's the same movie".

If someone has an idea with potential and does a **** job with it, why not give it another, more competent crack?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
  #73
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,573
vCash: 500
*Finally* going to see the movie today, in about an hour's time.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
  #74
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,567
vCash: 500
I've seen it twice, was even better the second time round.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
  #75
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 500
I'm admittedly not a Gosling fan. Not that he isn't a talented actor. He is. It's just one of those 'I wanna punch your face' situations with no real reason to it. BUT, how come in all of his movies now he seems to be talking with a quasi-brooklyn accent?

Anyway, good movie but I almost felt it was a little rushed and some areas of the film didn't get fully developed. The racing thing, the stunt driver thing, the relationship with his boss. Back story on Carey Mulligan and her husband's relationship. A lot of starring and looks that could have been better served. Maybe that's the point. He's a lone wolf doesn't make relationships, doesn't care, He just.... DRIVES.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.