HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby and Malkin Ticket Delivery Videos

Old
09-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Do they (all the players, not just Sid and Geno) deliver every single season ticket? Obviously I mean those in the Pittsburgh area, but that's still gotta be over ten thousand.
It's a random selection and I believe a crew/team from the Penguins come and check the place out prior to the players arriving. Then they have a set schedule for the player and video crew to show up. Could be wrong about the last part.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Genetic

so lets see...

- sid wasnt wearing sunglasses during the photos
- the flash was on and it didnt seem to bother him
- he was able to sign some things without getting dizzy

hell be back to start the season? yea......

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
JTG

Geno's english is way better

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Why is Crosby delivering tickets? He's retired!!!

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:38 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Geno's english is getting better but he seems tense with his speaking when he's around people like that, when he does interviews he's more calm and speaks english better, but in those vids, lol...either way, he's improving. Hopefully after a few more years he's fluent.

I mean look at Pavel Datsyuk, he sounds like he just got off the plane from Russia and is in the US for the first time in his life. He can barely form sentences, coherently. Given that, Geno is doing very well.

Ovechkin should be fluent by now, like Fedorov.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:24 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Geno's english is getting better but he seems tense with his speaking when he's around people like that, when he does interviews he's more calm and speaks english better, but in those vids, lol...either way, he's improving. Hopefully after a few more years he's fluent.

I mean look at Pavel Datsyuk, he sounds like he just got off the plane from Russia and is in the US for the first time in his life. He can barely form sentences, coherently. Given that, Geno is doing very well.

Ovechkin should be fluent by now, like Fedorov.
I kind of don't want Geno to be fluent in English, it's not as funny. I mean, when he first started to speak in English and say stuff like..."Shoot everybody" and "He a little bit bad hands, he learn over the summer" kind of stuff were hilarious.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:28 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I think if he can get to speaking as well as Ovy, he'll still be saying funny things with his broken english but speaking with more confidence and just speaking more in general. It'll eventually get kind of annoying I think, I mean for example - My nephew when he was 2yrs old, spoke with one of those adorable lisps where he'd say "I wuv you" or "it's wight ovuh he-uh"...but after he turned 3, he spoke clearly and at 8 he started to do that again to be cutesy and I was like ok that's annoying and told him to stop being a little dick (my brother was like "dude you just called my son, your nephew, a dick...what the hell?").

Last edited by OnlyTheBrave*: 09-14-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old
09-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
You guys have to understand how different the languages are though. Russian is extremely concise, unlike English. Their sentences are not very wordy. Also, Russian tends to have very specific words for very specific actions. For instance, they have four verbs that mean "to go". Two of the verbs mean "to go by foot; or to go a very short distance". One of those verbs means you're going and staying at a particular place. The other means that you're going and coming back. Then they have two verbs that mean "to go by vehicle; to travel a long distance" (used when going to a different city/country). Like the first two verbs, there's a distinction between whether you're going and staying or going and coming back.

We obviously don't have that. We just say, "I am going to (fill in blank)".

Things like that can really trip up foreigners, especially Russian speakers because they have very specific words for specific actions or specific nouns even. We don't.

It takes many, many years of constant work and practice to get it down. Plus, some people catch onto languages faster than others based on his/her learning style and ability.

For Geno to learn so much so quickly, I'm very proud of him. He has a very heavy accent and probably will for a very long time. Russian sounds and English sounds are on a whole different level. That's why I can't fault guys like Datsyuk and Semin who don't have it all down pat yet. It's hard. It's really freaking hard.

These videos were awesome, by the way!

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:21 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

My brother's wife is from Ukraine, she speaks Russian...I get the whole it's hard thing when I hear her relatives speak about English and learning it. I think we all do to an extent. So we appreciate the dude when he's showing improvements in that area.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Zuluss

From watching the video I got the idea that people should probably stop calling Malkin Geno. He never says he is Geno in the video, even though I bet he realizes that everyone knows him by that name. Instead, he goes with the full version of his first name, kind of switching to Russian every time he says it, as if he wants to make it as hard as possible to repeat.

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
its his nickname. you dont see Staal saying "hi im staalsy" or letang saying "hi im tanger" its a formal introduction, they wont be using a nickname.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluss View Post
From watching the video I got the idea that people should probably stop calling Malkin Geno. He never says he is Geno in the video, even though I bet he realizes that everyone knows him by that name. Instead, he goes with the full version of his first name, kind of switching to Russian every time he says it, as if he wants to make it as hard as possible to repeat.
When you introduce yourself...you typically do it with your full name.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Had no clue Geno was that funny.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Shady Machine

Hi I'm Flower

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda71 View Post
You guys have to understand how different the languages are though. Russian is extremely concise, unlike English. Their sentences are not very wordy. Also, Russian tends to have very specific words for very specific actions. For instance, they have four verbs that mean "to go". Two of the verbs mean "to go by foot; or to go a very short distance". One of those verbs means you're going and staying at a particular place. The other means that you're going and coming back. Then they have two verbs that mean "to go by vehicle; to travel a long distance" (used when going to a different city/country). Like the first two verbs, there's a distinction between whether you're going and staying or going and coming back.

Things like that can really trip up foreigners, especially Russian speakers because they have very specific words for specific actions or specific nouns even. We don't.

It takes many, many years of constant work and practice to get it down. Plus, some people catch onto languages faster than others based on his/her learning style and ability.

For Geno to learn so much so quickly, I'm very proud of him. He has a very heavy accent and probably will for a very long time. Russian sounds and English sounds are on a whole different level. That's why I can't fault guys like Datsyuk and Semin who don't have it all down pat yet. It's hard. It's really freaking hard.

Thank you.

People don't seem to realize that Slavic languages are extremely hard when trying to convert it to English.

I even want to say that it's even harder to grow up on English and learn a Slavic language. Even through it's the same alphabet in theory (western Slavic), alot of it is still transliterated.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:47 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda71 View Post

Appreciate the post. Thanks for sharing.

After reading that, I can picture myself learning Russian and being like...this is a completely inefficient way of speaking, but if flipping it around and being Russian learning English, I could see myself thinking...this is just a lazy and very vague way of communicating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Thank you.

People don't seem to realize that Slavic languages are extremely hard when trying to convert it to English.

I even want to say that it's even harder to grow up on English and learn a Slavic language. Even through it's the same alphabet in theory (western Slavic), alot of it is still transliterated.
Harv, are you Russian and just learned English, or are you English and learned Russian?

Just from observing, Russia doesn't seem like a country like, say, Sweden where English is a part of their education from square 1, and many of them speak English better than North Americans. I remember listening to interviews with Landeskog and thinking...you've got to be kidding me. I had similar feelings with Filatov. He had an accent, but his grasp of the English language was awesome, IMO.

Last edited by JTG: 09-15-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old
09-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Florentino Ariza

I think everubody knows its hard. Does that mean ovechkin is a rocket scientist?

Fact is, genos shyness clearly inhibits him.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
JTG

And anyone who tried speaking a different language can understand the shyness and awkwardness.

I got a good dose of perspective when my cousin, who is a Marine, married a girl from Chile while he was stationed there. She's completely fluent in English because she spent years in the UK, but when she speaks to her family...I understand a good portion of what she's saying in Spanish, but never in a million years would I try to speak it to someone who is fluent in it.

Old
09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Florentino Ariza

Most people are varying degrees of shy about, because unlike other skills it is on full display for criticism. Geno seems like an articulate, conscientious guy, while ovechkin doesn't give a ****. Two extremes and you see the difference when they speak publicly

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:02 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Had no clue Geno was that funny.
Yeah but he gets a little less funny as he gets better at English. He and Ovy seemed their funniest back when Borat was big.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I had similar feelings with Filatov. He had an accent, but his grasp of the English language was awesome, IMO.
Filatov's mother is a teacher and gave him English lessons at home.

Last edited by Riggs: 09-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Amanda71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I think everubody knows its hard. Does that mean ovechkin is a rocket scientist?

Fact is, genos shyness clearly inhibits him.
I'm not denying that most people understand it's hard. I'm just pointing out specific differences in the language to explain why guys like Geno, Semin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc etc have been here in the states a few years and still have problems getting English down. I have the same problem when I'm speaking Russian. I want to add in unnecessary words all of the time. Like, if I say, "I am cold", in Russian, it would basically be like saying "I cold". And I think that's why Geno and other Russian players leave out so many of our helping verbs like "am", because Russian just doesn't have that equivalent.

I think it's harder going from Russian to English, simply because we have so many words that can be used in different ways. I mean "pretty" usually means "attractive or good looking", but colloquially, it can also be used in place of our word "very". Since we don't place ending on our words or use different cases, English speakers have to rely on context to understand what's being said. In Russian, they use different cases to clearly state what they mean. In that example used above, if I want to say, "I'm cold", I'd use their dative case. If I don't use the dative case and I use the wrong case/endings, I could end up saying "I am frigid" (in the sexual sense) rather than "I am cold". And that's using the same vocabulary pretty much. With English, we can use the exact same sentence and the exact same words to mean two very different things. "He is cold" can mean that he is, in fact, physically cold. Or it could mean he's in a bad mood and not speaking to anyone. We have to rely on context to understand what's being said.

Sorry for the Russian lesson, guys! I know everyone means well and no one is actively making fun of Geno. But this is my second year in Russian, and I feel so much more empathy for Geno than I ever did before taking it. I now understand EXACTLY why the Russian guys say "funny" or even "silly" things, because I understand the very basics of the language.

It's not really confidence that Geno is lacking. His brain is simply not handling the language nuances. It may come in time or it may not. It's hard to learn new languages... it's even harder when you start out learning it at an older age. I don't know if I'll ever reach my goal of fluency in Russian simply because I don't know if my brain can function and think like a native Russian's can.

Old
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
JWells16

Bleh.. I know one of the kids Malkin delivered tickets too. I played hockey with him.

Makes me hate him more.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Some people take this crap way too seriously, like they personally know what he is going through. I get it, we all are passionate about the team, but seriously...relax folks.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Amanda71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Some people take this crap way too seriously, like they personally know what he is going through. I get it, we all are passionate about the team, but seriously...relax folks.
So, like, me, right? Just come out and say it instead of being so passive, dude...

I don't personally know him (obviously) and I only know a little bit about his language struggles. It's just frustrating because I feel like so many minimize his experience. There are people out there who honestly think Geno and other Russian players are jokes because they don't speak fluent English. People on this site constantly gripe about Datsyuk and Semin not knowing better English. Then guys like Malkin and Ovechkin get laughed at because they pronounce something wrong, or they speak in child like sentences.

I'm really not on the mega-defensive, I'm simply trying to educate on WHY these guys struggle because I'm sick of seeing posts where people say "Jesus... why hasn't he learned English by now?!?!?!?!?!?!" (Applies to most Russian players in the NHL, not just Geno).