HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Slowest star forwards ever

Old
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Mario slowed down later in his career but in his prime he was deceptively fast.
He just looked slower due to his size and long fluid strides.
If you watch some video of him from the 80's, you will see him out racing guys with only two strides to their three.
Mario was just simply elegance on skates, everything he did looked like it was in slow motion. He was just that freakin good

Good pick with Francis, he was an old school choppy skater and had average speed at best.
In the old days that was "Frank Mahovlich Syndrome". Big effortless strides but in reality it was faster than it looked.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I remember when Jason Allison was a Maple Leaf. He swears up and down in an article that he won a fastest skaters competition while he was a King. This on a team with Ziggy Palffy at the time.

Another name that jumps out at me is Johnny Bucyk. Could hit like a truck but was slow on the ice

Larry Murphy was slow despite being a HHOFer defenseman. He made up for this with his offensive smarts and his positional play and being able to keep the puck in the offensive zone during a clearing attempt. But he sure wasn't fast

Alexei Kovalev has never been a fast skater for all of his skill

Claude Lemieux is close enough to being a star I suppose, even though he's so far from it in so many ways. But I never thought of him with wheels.

Adam Oates was slow but exceptional with his on-ice vision and playmaking, as if I need to mention that

Okay here's a name out of left field, no he wasn't a lumbering forward, but I wouldn't call him fast either for his success or his level of skill.........................Peter Forsberg. Honestly, does anyone really remember him as a guy with blazing speed? Does anyone have a clip of him skating fast? When I think of Forsberg I think of a player with incredible stickhandling and ability to hang onto the puck. I think of a great passer too. But I never felt he was a fast skater, not lousy, but certainly not fast. Flame away
Alex Kovalev earlier in his career had above average speed, regardless of his skill.

I know you're biased against Forsberg, but now you've just confirmed you've never watched him play.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRussian71 View Post
Mario lemieux never seemed exceptionally fast. Same goes for ronny Francis
Mario had gears. He used them when he wanted to. He always got criticzed for looking lazy out there but he knew when to glide and when to turn on the jets. Just look at him on breakaways, he somehow never got caught. He had that stride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
John Bucyk during the O6 era was a well above average skater. Fastest member of the Uke Line. Horvath was the weakest of the three.
Maybe so, but he was a plodding skater the second half of his career. Very similar to Andreychuk (well maybe that's a bit harsh)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Trigger View Post
Alex Kovalev earlier in his career had above average speed, regardless of his skill.
Okay, he had above average speed - for an enforcer. But for a star forward he was slow. When was he ever fast?

Quote:
I know you're biased against Forsberg, but now you've just confirmed you've never watched him play.
Well I saw his whole career. He wasn't a fast skater. In my other thread I didn't say he was slow either, but for a player of his caliber he didn't have the jets. However, I will say that with his style he maybe didn't NEED to have great speed, but that's not what the question was in the OP

Also, two other names. Dickie Moore and Steve Shutt. Moore had a broken leg early in his childhood and he claims he never developed a muscle properly. Won two scoring titles however. Shutt wasn't a skater I found very fast either, for a 60 goal man

Old
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Mario had gears. He used them when he wanted to. He always got criticzed for looking lazy out there but he knew when to glide and when to turn on the jets. Just look at him on breakaways, he somehow never got caught.
Mario coasted throughout the games, he paced himself. He thought the game many levels ahead of the other players and wasted little energy - but he knew when to turn it on. He didn't work hard, he worked smart.

When Mario really wanted to play, he was unstoppable. In the early 90s, in the playoffs, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Basically the LW version of Mike Bossy. The guys just knew how to be in the perfect position to score.
Robitaille and Bossy were similar in that they battled really hard to get to the right place to score goals. That's a combination of instinct and desire. Neither was fast or particularly strong on their skates but few were better at capitalizing on rebounds, deflections, quick releases.

Amazing to see how many of the all-time great offensive players weren't particularly great skaters. Hard to fathom from watching the games or even playing the game at a high level - where the better skaters are almost always the best players.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Luc Robitaille was the first player who came to mind when I read the thread title... if memory serves me he was considered a long shot to play in the NHL because of his poor skating abilities.
Same here. That is why he was never considered for the Olympic team.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:19 AM
connellc

Brett Hull came to mind for me. Hull on a breakaway first goal on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNOfIiekzw

Check out how long it takes him to move up the ice. To his defense, he was older but thats ONE HELL OF A GOAL.

connellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:23 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Cy Denneny

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:18 AM
VMBM

Was Mike Bossy slow? A weak skater definitely (i.e. considering that he was a super star), but slow? I'm not so sure.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
tjcurrie

I think there's some players in here being labeled as "slow" when in fact they weren't. Just because they weren't Pavel Bure or Mike Gartner doesn't mean they were slow.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by connellc View Post
Brett Hull came to mind for me. Hull on a breakaway first goal on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNOfIiekzw

Check out how long it takes him to move up the ice. To his defense, he was older but thats ONE HELL OF A GOAL.
For the 3rd goal 5 of the 6 Wings on the ice are/will be HOFers. Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Chelios, and Hasek. Fischer being the 6th as Cheli's partner that season. And none of the skaters were ever remarkably fast during the NHL years. Just stupid smart.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
Sedins are pretty damn slow

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Stonefly

Quote:

Maybe so, but he was a plodding skater the second half of his career. Very similar to Andreychuk (well maybe that's a bit harsh)

Not sure why you think this. At worst in his later years he was average. Would never have said he was slow, not even in his chunkier days. He was always one of the best Bruin skaters.

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Canadiens1958

John Bucyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Not sure why you think this. At worst in his later years he was average. Would never have said he was slow, not even in his chunkier days. He was always one of the best Bruin skaters.
John Bucyk was one of the classic efficient skaters during the post 1967 phase of his career. He knew the nuances of the rinks, the players, the geometry of the game and he worked these elements.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:15 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Mario could flat out move in the day. In his prime despite being 6'5'' he was one of the faster guys in the league.

First name to come to mind was Brett Hull. Though he did get a little better as his career went on he was never helped by the fact he wasn't one for conditioning. Dude knew how to get open and knew how to rip a shot though.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRussian71 View Post
Mario lemieux never seemed exceptionally fast. Same goes for ronny Francis
Mario Lemieux was very fast in his prime, and possibly the strongest skater to ever play, i.e. he would not slow down when hooked or held. The power of his strides gave him great speed.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
In the old days that was "Frank Mahovlich Syndrome". Big effortless strides but in reality it was faster than it looked.
Guys like that often get dumped on for underachieving. They look so effortless people think "well if he moved/worked at a rate of a little guy" he'd be X times better. Same with Mats Sundin.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
connellc

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
For the 3rd goal 5 of the 6 Wings on the ice are/will be HOFers. Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Chelios, and Hasek. Fischer being the 6th as Cheli's partner that season. And none of the skaters were ever remarkably fast during the NHL years. Just stupid smart.
In that video I think It's Steve Duchesne, not Jiri Fischer. Although not a HHOF'er Steve was a heck of a player in his own right. Tottally agree, all three were geniuses on the ice and not fast at all. That was always one of my favorite lines during 2002 playoff year.

connellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Axxellien

Quote:
John Bucyk was one of the classic efficient skaters during the post 1967 phase of his career. He knew the nuances of the rinks, the players, the geometry of the game and he worked these elements.
..As players get older, They employ their long experience, put it to good use cutting corners...Positional anticipation....

The UKE Line could really fly in the late 1950s..In synch...Sheer joy to watch..

Last edited by Axxellien: 09-15-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:29 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by connellc View Post
In that video I think It's Steve Duchesne, not Jiri Fischer. Although not a HHOF'er Steve was a heck of a player in his own right. Tottally agree, all three were geniuses on the ice and not fast at all. That was always one of my favorite lines during 2002 playoff year.
I honestly didn't look close enough to see if it was Jiri or not. I saw the other 5 and knew that Fischer played about 90% of that run with Cheli. My bad.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Luc Robitaille.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:27 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Mario could flat out move in the day. In his prime despite being 6'5'' he was one of the faster guys in the league.

First name to come to mind was Brett Hull. Though he did get a little better as his career went on he was never helped by the fact he wasn't one for conditioning. Dude knew how to get open and knew how to rip a shot though.
Lemieux at the most is 6'4, he has never been listed at 6'5.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Whew...thanks for clearing that up!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
But the question was whether he was considered "slow" for a star forward. In the 1970s, despite him being older, wouldn't you feel he fit this bill if we are only isolating his skating not his smarts?

Old
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Are we talking Imperial Inches or Metric Inches? This is important stuff, we must delve further.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote