HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Slowest star forwards ever

Old
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Gordie Howe and Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
But the question was whether he was considered "slow" for a star forward. In the 1970s, despite him being older, wouldn't you feel he fit this bill if we are only isolating his skating not his smarts?
Then the same point could be made about Gordie Howe in the late 1960's vs his prime in the early/mid fifties, Jean Beliveau pre 1961 knee injury and post 1961 knee injury amongst others.

As for isolating their skating from his smarts - how? Retroactively have players running around without purpose to prove that they have speed?

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

I will go with Tim Kerr from a list of several possibilities also already mentioned. Espo had his long strides, Robitaille was slow but faster than most mentioned I think.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Then the same point could be made about Gordie Howe in the late 1960's vs his prime in the early/mid fifties, Jean Beliveau pre 1961 knee injury and post 1961 knee injury amongst others.

As for isolating their skating from his smarts - how? Retroactively have players running around without purpose to prove that they have speed?
Well like I said the OP asked who the slowest was. No doubt Bucyk was good positionally too but that isn't the question.

As for Beliveau and Howe I don't think their skating went downhill quite as much as Bucyk's did. Beliveau was still a good skater up until the end of his career even for an old guy.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Canadiens1958

Prime

Quote:
Well like I said the OP asked who the slowest was. No doubt Bucyk was good positionally too but that isn't the question.

As for Beliveau and Howe I don't think their skating went downhill quite as much as Bucyk's did. Beliveau was still a good skater up until the end of his career even for an old guy.
Slowest in their prime. Seventies Bucyk was not in his prime. He generated the numbers and honours strictly from smarts just like sixties Howe and Beliveau post injury.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Slowest in their prime. Seventies Bucyk was not in his prime. He generated the numbers and honours strictly from smarts just like sixties Howe and Beliveau post injury.
I read in an interview with Lennart Svedberg that he thought Howe was the fastest player on the Wings when he trialed for them in 1968. He said he was proud that he could skate faster than even the legendary Gordie Howe.

Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Yashin, Bossy, Ciccarelli, Bernie Federko - no wheels at all. John Tavares isn't fast but he's pretty strong on the puck.

Speed is overrated a lot. A quick mind, quick hands, far more important than quick feet.
Agreed. Watching guys like Matt Lombardi just rip down the ice and lose the puck/crash into the endboards every single rush is evidence of that.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Padan

This thread needs more Joe Thornton.

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Seguin View Post
Esposito wasn't slow, he just took 2 strides when others had to take 10.
He was not fast but I think he may have been a bit faster than he looked since if you stay on the ice for 3 straight shifts you've got to be pacing yourself. Players today are faster, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're only out there for 40 seconds so they're always skating as fast as they can.

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Guys that come to mind are Esposito, Allison(if he counts), and Robitaille. Since I want to say someone that nobody has said, how about John LeClair?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM
habsjunkie2*

Jason Allison FTW.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Slapshooter

If this would be a poll, Luc Robitaille would likely win this one. It always amazed me how he could score a crapload of goals while it seemed he can't skate at all. Luc was not just a slow, but he was simply a bad skater for a professional hockey player. He did not have speed, stride, agility or anything, yet at one point he was one of the best scorers in the game. Robitaille did not even had a divine shot la Brett Hull. Just a very quick hands around the net and a typical sniper instinct.

Andreychuk, Kerr, Bossy and Ciccarelli are good calls too. Not sure about pre-80's stars, but obviously there were a lot of bad skaters in the old times.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Mothra

Quote:
I remember when Jason Allison was a Maple Leaf. He swears up and down in an article that he won a fastest skaters competition while he was a King. This on a team with Ziggy Palffy at the time.

Another name that jumps out at me is Johnny Bucyk. Could hit like a truck but was slow on the ice

Larry Murphy was slow despite being a HHOFer defenseman. He made up for this with his offensive smarts and his positional play and being able to keep the puck in the offensive zone during a clearing attempt. But he sure wasn't fast

Alexei Kovalev has never been a fast skater for all of his skill

Claude Lemieux is close enough to being a star I suppose, even though he's so far from it in so many ways. But I never thought of him with wheels.

Adam Oates was slow but exceptional with his on-ice vision and playmaking, as if I need to mention that
Okay here's a name out of left field, no he wasn't a lumbering forward, but I wouldn't call him fast either for his success or his level of skill.........................Peter Forsberg. Honestly, does anyone really remember him as a guy with blazing speed? Does anyone have a clip of him skating fast? When I think of Forsberg I think of a player with incredible stickhandling and ability to hang onto the puck. I think of a great passer too. But I never felt he was a fast skater, not lousy, but certainly not fast. Flame away

Oates was pretty quick and shifty...always seemed to have his body in good position.

Not fast though, I agree

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
MojoJojo

Has to be Allison.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote