HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Question regarding Nailers games in Johnstown

Old
11-22-2011, 03:47 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
The Brooks Bros claimed if they didn't do the Johnstown experiment that they would have joined Johnstown in the folded list. They were basically crying I guess at whatever that press conference was at the end of the season 2 years ago. So Nailer fans tell me. They mentioned how they grew up in PA like an hour away and blah blah blah.

Truth be told the ECHL has also outgrown Wheeling and did the sametime it outgrew Johnstown. The two cities are pretty similar. I can't imagine the Nailers exist next season. Nobody in Wheeling is going to those games.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:50 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I was there, and unless they are counting tickets sold and not actual people attending, there is no way 1,055 people were there. A lot of the long time Johnstown hockey fans who attended the Wheeling games last season are not attending this season. Hopefully the Brooks brothers now realize that their idea is a complete failure. The long time fans here, including myself, want something new and more entertaining, whether it is the FHL, NPHL, NAHL, USHL or whatever. The current ECHL product is like watching paint dry, and expecting fans to suddenly support a team that we hated for almost 2 decades was destined to fail. The ECHL outgrew Johnstown back in the 1990s. Johnstown can, and will support a team in a lower level league, whether it is pro or a high level of junior hockey.
How fixed was Saturday's 2,600 some attendance then? Maybe the game sheet said 2,000 some. I forget but it did have a 2 in front of it.

I do think the current ECHL Product sucks though, but then again I live in Elmira and next to Reading we see the most callups in the league. Watching musical players sucks. You hardly get to know the team and the profuct suffers. buying season tickets just aint worth it.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Sal

Saturday's attendance was reported to be over 2,600. A church group brought 1,100 teens who didn't pay attention to the game let alone stay in their seats. Therefore, it was difficult to tell if the reported attendance was truthful.

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The Brooks Bros claimed if they didn't do the Johnstown experiment that they would have joined Johnstown in the folded list. They were basically crying I guess at whatever that press conference was at the end of the season 2 years ago. So Nailer fans tell me. They mentioned how they grew up in PA like an hour away and blah blah blah.

Truth be told the ECHL has also outgrown Wheeling and did the sametime it outgrew Johnstown. The two cities are pretty similar. I can't imagine the Nailers exist next season. Nobody in Wheeling is going to those games.
I never did understand the logic of playing the games in Johnstown. The two franchises hated each other. It is almost like the Brooks Brothers wanted to rub it into the Johnstown area that they were still there. Unfortunately it seems like Wheeling is on its way to joining the Chiefs.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I never did understand the logic of playing the games in Johnstown. The two franchises hated each other. It is almost like the Brooks Brothers wanted to rub it into the Johnstown area that they were still there. Unfortunately it seems like Wheeling is on its way to joining the Chiefs.
Apparently the Brooks Bros don't even know their own market. They are rubbing nothing in nobody's face. Truth be told the ECHL is nothing special now. The league has been ruined by this developmental idea.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Solution

I know that this is probably not the thread to mention this, but since it is so small, it will die out within maybe two posts. Wheeling's coach Stan Drulia resigned to become the assistant coach in Milwaukee. He is being replaced by the assistant Clark Donatelli. To make it even more interesting, Donatelli was the assistant at Providence (the college/university) prior to this season. The Penguins have a prospect who left Providence after an issue with the coach. The kid is now back at Providence.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:07 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I know that this is probably not the thread to mention this, but since it is so small, it will die out within maybe two posts. Wheeling's coach Stan Drulia resigned to become the assistant coach in Milwaukee. He is being replaced by the assistant Clark Donatelli. To make it even more interesting, Donatelli was the assistant at Providence (the college/university) prior to this season. The Penguins have a prospect who left Providence after an issue with the coach. The kid is now back at Providence.
Was gunna mention it but was too lazy. Interesting hire IMO. It's not like aside from thr IHL that Drulia did anything major.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Solution

Quote:
Was gunna mention it but was too lazy. Interesting hire IMO. It's not like aside from thr IHL that Drulia did anything major.
I did find it interesting that you had not posted anything about it. Particularly when I was several days late. Anyway, Clark Donatelli won his debut last night 3-1. Regarding Drulia, I have respect for the man. Anybody who can make the Nailers winners under the Brooks Brothers has my respect. Actually, I was looking at how the WBS Penguins called up a defenseman from the Chicago Express for last night's game. It is only like the 10th time in the organization's history that they have gone outside of the affiliation to call up an ECHLer. The guy had played last season for Wheeling, Chad Hennington. But Wheeling has mostly rookie defensemen. What are the ECHL rules for rosters? I know that there are veteran requirements, but still the only defenseman who is not a rookie is Merth.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Behind the Bench

The FHL would be there in a New York minute!

Behind the Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I did find it interesting that you had not posted anything about it. Particularly when I was several days late. Anyway, Clark Donatelli won his debut last night 3-1. Regarding Drulia, I have respect for the man. Anybody who can make the Nailers winners under the Brooks Brothers has my respect. Actually, I was looking at how the WBS Penguins called up a defenseman from the Chicago Express for last night's game. It is only like the 10th time in the organization's history that they have gone outside of the affiliation to call up an ECHLer. The guy had played last season for Wheeling, Chad Hennington. But Wheeling has mostly rookie defensemen. What are the ECHL rules for rosters? I know that there are veteran requirements, but still the only defenseman who is not a rookie is Merth.
First time all year the Nailers were outshot too. Listened to the game and the Titans fanned on some open net opportunities. The guy was Dan Henningson you are referring to. There are no rules other then the Vet Rule that I know of. The biggest difference between the ECHL and AHL is the prospect rule. I think in the AHL you need like 12 or 13 or whatever it is, the ECHL has no rule on number of prospects a roster has to be cxomprised of.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Solution

Well, if there is no limit then why would the Nailers have so many rookies on the roster? If I were one of those people who questioned the integrity of the Nailers' organization, I could easily see them trying to put together a dirt cheap team as well as not having too many prospects that would be ready to call up to the AHL. Which would obviously lead to the questioning of the decision by Drulia to leave although moving up a level seems like a smart career decision.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Well, if there is no limit then why would the Nailers have so many rookies on the roster? If I were one of those people who questioned the integrity of the Nailers' organization, I could easily see them trying to put together a dirt cheap team as well as not having too many prospects that would be ready to call up to the AHL. Which would obviously lead to the questioning of the decision by Drulia to leave although moving up a level seems like a smart career decision.
ECHL teams tend to get a lot of rookies/young guys because they are looking to stablish themselves for a call. It's also cheaper for the teams as teams like Elmira/Reading often get guys who are somewhat established and go to AHL camps but can't land a spot in the AHL. Teams have a cap of like $12,000 or whatever(I forget the number)but it's small and rookies will be happy to just see a contract offered.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

You are looking at it all wrong. There is no "minimum" on prospects, but rather a maximum on vets. In the ECHL last I knew it was a max of 4 guys with 260 pro games on the roster period. In the AHL you can have as many vets as you want, but you can only dress five a game. The rest of the players as long as it's under 260, it doesn't matter.

Clark Donatelli! Awesome......Providence boy and former PBruin.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
You are looking at it all wrong. There is no "minimum" on prospects, but rather a maximum on vets. In the ECHL last I knew it was a max of 4 guys with 260 pro games on the roster period. In the AHL you can have as many vets as you want, but you can only dress five a game. The rest of the players as long as it's under 260, it doesn't matter.

Personally why the minor leagues suck now is NHL Ownership and the Vet rule. Ditch that thing already. You say the AHL has no Vet rule. While that may be true only 5 can dress a game, so it is almost a rule within itself. Not many teams would want to sign a vet to sit him on his ***. They have value. In terms of winning anyway.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Personally why the minor leagues suck now is NHL Ownership and the Vet rule. Ditch that thing already. You say the AHL has no Vet rule. While that may be true only 5 can dress a game, so it is almost a rule within itself. Not many teams would want to sign a vet to sit him on his ***. They have value. In terms of winning anyway.
Where did I say the AHL had no vet rule? I think I pretty well spelled out that only dressing 5 was the rule.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
keep in mind both the ECHL/AHL are "development" leagues, we have a 6th vet over 320 games that is exempt from said rule but if tht veteran is traded/released (like wht Portland did this year w/ Garrett Stafford), then tht exemption goes away for that year. wht it did was prevent teams from making their rosters either veteran-laden, or prospect-driven, and kind of mix some of both styles in to each team.... but in the past, there were veterans who were identifiable to each market instead of the "journeyman" type vet that most veterans are today...

Last edited by Majik1987: 12-08-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: playing the role of moderator
CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Where did I say the AHL had no vet rule? I think I pretty well spelled out that only dressing 5 was the rule.
Correct, but you also said a team could have as many as they want on their roster. They can only dress 5 of them but they could have more signed if they so like. I understood you the first time.

Old
12-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Solution

Quote:

So ECHL teams can only have 4 guys with 260 games of pro experience on the roster. So that means that one can only have 4 players with more than 3 seasons worth of experience. That helps a little bit. How if the ECHL is supposedly a developmental league can there not be justification for a few more veterans? I mean I can understand only wanting the younger players to get most of the playing time for developmental purposes, but it seems to me thatsome more veterans to show the youngsters the ropes would be helpful. I mean coaching is great, but sometimes somebody else has to show it to you in a different way in order to learn it. Just my opinion. It almost seems counterproductive to development.

Old
12-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Behind the Bench

Help us to be a full time team in JT

Behind the Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind the Bench View Post
I have heard rumors that the Nailers are in trouble. If they move elsewhere, then they would no longer be the primary tenants to the War Memorial, and the the FHL could move in like it has been rumored they want to. Of course, this is all based off of rumor, but it is possible.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:21 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I have heard rumors that the Nailers are in trouble. If they move elsewhere, then they would no longer be the primary tenants to the War Memorial, and the the FHL could move in like it has been rumored they want to. Of course, this is all based off of rumor, but it is possible.
PM me what you heard, lol.

I'll say this, I read somewhere else someone sa they don't understannd why Drulia went to be an assistant coach midseason. Not really an upgrade, they thought it raised a red flag.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:22 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
So ECHL teams can only have 4 guys with 260 games of pro experience on the roster. So that means that one can only have 4 players with more than 3 seasons worth of experience. That helps a little bit. How if the ECHL is supposedly a developmental league can there not be justification for a few more veterans? I mean I can understand only wanting the younger players to get most of the playing time for developmental purposes, but it seems to me thatsome more veterans to show the youngsters the ropes would be helpful. I mean coaching is great, but sometimes somebody else has to show it to you in a different way in order to learn it. Just my opinion. It almost seems counterproductive to development.
Lets put it in this simplistic way, the dopes running the ECHL/AHL need to get a clue...especially in these terrible economic times. People aren't gunna spend to watch development, they WANT TO see a WINNER.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Solution

Quote:
PM me what you heard, lol.

I'll say this, I read somewhere else someone sa they don't understannd why Drulia went to be an assistant coach midseason. Not really an upgrade, they thought it raised a red flag.
Just make sure it was not me in another thread, like the AHL one. I question the viability of the Nailers in Wheeling because I swear I hear rumors every year that the Brooks Brothers are looking at moving elsewhere. I know that Youngstown has been mentioned before as well as Johnstown since the Chiefs left. For some reason I seem to remember somebody saying (verbally) about Akron, but that was a few years ago.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind the Bench View Post
If you time it correctly you may get your wish. Late last January the Nailers announced that they would return to Johnstown this season, but wanted to average 2500 per game. They have been nowhere near 2500 so far, and they probably will not come near it. There was a recent TV News story here that had the War Memorial manager commenting how he was worried about low attendance at recent events at the arena, including the Nailer games. Assuming that attendance does not improve for the next couple of Nailer games, the manager will probably begin to panic, and start looking for a back-up hockey tennant for next season. My suggestion to you is to keep track of the attendance at the Nailer's games in Johnstown, and if it doesn't improve by mid January, call the arena manager. Good luck.

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Just make sure it was not me in another thread, like the AHL one. I question the viability of the Nailers in Wheeling because I swear I hear rumors every year that the Brooks Brothers are looking at moving elsewhere. I know that Youngstown has been mentioned before as well as Johnstown since the Chiefs left. For some reason I seem to remember somebody saying (verbally) about Akron, but that was a few years ago.
Wasn't you, it was on another board.

I heard that they were going to Youngstown a few years back but somebody I guess spilled the beans before it was allowed, thats the excuse i've heard anyway.