Question regarding Nailers games in Johnstown

Old
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Lets put it in this simplistic way, the dopes running the ECHL/AHL need to get a clue...especially in these terrible economic times. People aren't gunna spend to watch development, they WANT TO see a WINNER.
But they're not going to go see something that isn't in some way connected to the big time either. The lure of seeing future NHL stars is still a strong one, even if you are one of the few people here who doesn't care about the NHL. Besides, if everyone has to follow the same rules, someone is going to win.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
But they're not going to go see something that isn't in some way connected to the big time either. The lure of seeing future NHL stars is still a strong one, even if you are one of the few people here who doesn't care about the NHL. Besides, if everyone has to follow the same rules, someone is going to win.
But the ECHL is lying. Hardly anybody is a star to be in the NHL. That 485 former players number is misleading cause they count every guy. I'd be more interested in knowing how many former played in a full NHL season or went on to make an NHL career of it. Rich Peverly is an exception to the rule.

See idk, I live in an interesting market. We've had the UHL and now this. In our UHL years we had player continuity and no callups. We had a core of a team for years, some guys made this place home. Fans felt close to them. Now unless your some chick in your late teens/early 20's you have not as much of an idea about the guys and they all leave after this year anyway.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
But the ECHL is lying. Hardly anybody is a star to be in the NHL. That 485 former players number is misleading cause they count every guy. I'd be more interested in knowing how many former played in a full NHL season or went on to make an NHL career of it. Rich Peverly is an exception to the rule.

See idk, I live in an interesting market. We've had the UHL and now this. In our UHL years we had player continuity and no callups. We had a core of a team for years, some guys made this place home. Fans felt close to them. Now unless your some chick in your late teens/early 20's you have not as much of an idea about the guys and they all leave after this year anyway.
That's just the way AA hockey is. If you're down there you've got a ways to go.

That said, plenty of ECHL teams have retained guys over the years as the in house vets. Mike Scott and Kimbi Daniels come to mind in Alaska. Larry Courville in Reading.....the problem is the money for older guys is overseas, tax free in many cases, and you can't very well compete with that. Unless you want to raid the beer leagues like the LNAH or the SPHL for never-weres.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
That's just the way AA hockey is. If you're down there you've got a ways to go.

That said, plenty of ECHL teams have retained guys over the years as the in house vets. Mike Scott and Kimbi Daniels come to mind in Alaska. Larry Courville in Reading.....the problem is the money for older guys is overseas, tax free in many cases, and you can't very well compete with that. Unless you want to raid the beer leagues like the LNAH or the SPHL for never-weres.
That seems to be part of the problem in Wheeling is that the fans have no connection with the players. Looking over the roster, I only see about 4 guys from last season, and two of them are the goalies. The best way to develop a connection with the fans is to have people who are viewed as home town boys. Either people who grew up in the area or elsehave lived there for a while. If players only are there for three years and the fans know it, why get connected to the players and thusly the team? It would almost seem like each team would need a franchise tag to put on a player in order to keep them around for more than the three years as well as give them money in order to try and keep them there. The franchise player can then become a part of the recruiting process. Just an idea.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
If you time it correctly you may get your wish. Late last January the Nailers announced that they would return to Johnstown this season, but wanted to average 2500 per game. They have been nowhere near 2500 so far, and they probably will not come near it. There was a recent TV News story here that had the War Memorial manager commenting how he was worried about low attendance at recent events at the arena, including the Nailer games. Assuming that attendance does not improve for the next couple of Nailer games, the manager will probably begin to panic, and start looking for a back-up hockey tennant for next season. My suggestion to you is to keep track of the attendance at the Nailer's games in Johnstown, and if it doesn't improve by mid January, call the arena manager. Good luck.
I know that I am posting this way too much, but for some reason i feel compelled to. The Wheeling Nailers are for sale so the lease with the War Memorial may be up at the end of the season. The Federal hockey League can move in if they want.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I know that I am posting this way too much, but for some reason i feel compelled to. The Wheeling Nailers are for sale so the lease with the War Memorial may be up at the end of the season. The Federal hockey League can move in if they want.
No no no...that new NPHL or whatever it'[s gunna be. Check out the Roanoke thread. Heard that startup league was interested kin Huntington and Charleston(WV), now throw in Wheeling and JTown. That COULD be serviceable.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Solution

Quote:
No no no...that new NPHL or whatever it'[s gunna be. Check out the Roanoke thread. Heard that startup league was interested kin Huntington and Charleston(WV), now throw in Wheeling and JTown. That COULD be serviceable.
I had missed that one. The NPHL could be the ticket. Anything is better than nothing.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Solution

Actually, when I got on the NPHL website, Johnstown was already listed as a target market which leads me to believe that they knew something we did not or else they did not know about the lease situation in Johnstown with Wheeling.

Old
01-19-2012, 06:27 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
The NPHL could work. A lot of the markets they are going after are former ECHL markets that had a team for at least 5 years. Granted most of those teams were in the echl in the early to mid 90s and the economy of those towns may have changed, but as long as the money (read: ticket prices) are right, they might be somewhat successful.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
The NPHL could work. A lot of the markets they are going after are former ECHL markets that had a team for at least 5 years. Granted most of those teams were in the echl in the early to mid 90s and the economy of those towns may have changed, but as long as the money (read: ticket prices) are right, they might be somewhat successful.
Check out their business plan on the website. It seems reasonable, but there are probably some flaws that I am missing because I am not a business mind. Anyway for a minor investment of $520,000 you could own the Johnstown franchise.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
Check out their business plan on the website. It seems reasonable, but there are probably some flaws that I am missing because I am not a business mind. Anyway for a minor investment of $520,000 you could own the Johnstown franchise.
Don't you mean a minor donation of $520,000?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Don't you mean a minor donation of $520,000?
You say donation. I say investment. I view myself as a nonprofit organization. Obviously, you are a charitable one. (It is an old joke from the one place where I used to work.) I would assume that I would own at least a piece of paper with the franchise name on it somewhere. An investment as a collectible some day.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Behind the Bench

Bring the FHL to Johnstown

Behind the Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind the Bench View Post
Bring the FHL to Johnstown
Either the FHL or the NPHL. But in order for it to be done, the Wheeling Nailers would have to be removed as the major tenant at the War Memorial. Your best option there would be for the Nailers to be relocated to Savannah or some such place. The other option would be for the new owner to keep them in Wheeling but never travel to Johnstown. Besides, I am not into being an owner right now. Somebody local would have to lead that charge.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Sal

Believe it or not, the brain dead manager of the War Memorial hopes that any new owner of the Nailers will again agree to play 10 games in Johnstown next year. I'll take the FHL or NPHL over another pathetic "10 game season." http://tribune-democrat.com/sports/x...ay-in-Wheeling

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Solution

Quote:
Believe it or not, the brain dead manager of the War Memorial hopes that any new owner of the Nailers will again agree to play 10 games in Johnstown next year. I'll take the FHL or NPHL over another pathetic "10 game season." http://tribune-democrat.com/sports/x...ay-in-Wheeling
Why does that not surprise me in any way, shape, or form?

The disgust is directed at the War Memorial manager, not you Sal. I want Johnstown to have minor league hockey again.

Last edited by Solution: 01-20-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Clarify a point
Old
01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news to the SMG guy, but the split sched is a Brooks Brothers idea. There's no way in hell a new owner goes for that.

Old
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Solution

Quote:
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news to the SMG guy, but the split sched is a Brooks Brothers idea. There's no way in hell a new owner goes for that.
You would hope not, but the Brooks Brothers claimed that they needed to do it for financial survival. If he believed them , then I guess I could see why the manager thinks they will still do it.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

LOL. 1199 fans last night.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:33 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
LOL. 1199 fans last night.
Why do you find this funny?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Why do you find this funny?
More of sad than funny but its proof in the pudding that the Brooks bros idea for this couldnt have been more off than they thought. If anything it might be why the reason why the Nailers may be goin dark soon.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
More of sad than funny but its proof in the pudding that the Brooks bros idea for this couldnt have been more off than they thought. If anything it might be why the reason why the Nailers may be goin dark soon.
I'm not gonna place 100% blame on this, but there is very little publicity for the Nailers here. I told a handful of people at drill about the game last night and not one person knew about it.

If the wouldn't choose to come back next year, I'd completely understand why.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I'm not gonna place 100% blame on this, but there is very little publicity for the Nailers here. I told a handful of people at drill about the game last night and not one person knew about it.

If the wouldn't choose to come back next year, I'd completely understand why.
Have heard that, I agree. I also blame people in Johnstown don't wanna see/root for a Wheeling team and I understand why.

Old
01-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

1786 last night. Granted, the Jackals had fans going. No idea how many or buses though.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Went to the game Saturday night and had a good time. Seemed like a decent crowd, I'm guessing the largest they had this season. It was nice to finally get to see the old barn.