HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why don't players get paid during the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

vCash: 500
Why don't players get paid during the offseason?

This is something that I have wondered about for a long time and find quite troubling. Players train and work hard all year round for their club teams yet only get paid during the actual season. Also, players have their likeness exploited year round by their teams in order to sell tickets, merchandise, etc. So why is that players only get paid for part of the year then? I think a salary during the offseason would be and should be something the players fight for in the next CBA. If teams can make money year round on the backs of the players, surely the players themselves deserve a cut no?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Would you rather that they got the same salary, spread out over twelve months instead of eight months?

Or are you advocating a 50% salary increase for all players?

Your position is unclear.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Nocashstyle

There is a reason it is called the offseason. Players make more than enough during the season

Old
09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

They make enough already as is! You include endorsement deals & you've got yourself one rich person.

Also they get paid to play, not for their names or selling merchandise.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Would you rather that they got the same salary, spread out over twelve months instead of eight months?

Or are you advocating a 50% salary increase for all players?

Your position is unclear.
I would like to see players get paid a base salary on top of what they already are paid. Perhaps based on a percentage of what they are paid during the season. For example, if a player makes $1 million during the regular season, then they could receive an additional $250,000 (25% of course) on top of that during the offseason.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Maravilla

thats like saying

"why dont i get paid on weekends?"

Old
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

How can you be this bad of a troll?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maravilla View Post
thats like saying

"why dont i get paid on weekends?"
Depends on the type of work you do. In my profession I get paid to sit at home sometimes, and I am not a huge revenue generator like an NHL player is.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Maravilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Depends on the type of work you do. In my profession I get paid to sit at home sometimes, and I am not a huge revenue generator like an NHL player is.
why should anyone get paid while they're sitting at home on their ass.

what a dumb ass question. sorry guys i just had to say it. this is beyond rediculous

why dont they get $1 Million a year after retirement?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
They get paid to play the game. They don't play the game in the offseason, therefore their team doesn't pay them in the offseason.

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I would like to see players get paid a base salary on top of what they already are paid. Perhaps based on a percentage of what they are paid during the season. For example, if a player makes $1 million during the regular season, then they could receive an additional $250,000 (25% of course) on top of that during the offseason.
LOL,

I'm really not sure if your serious,

They are paid for their hockey performance, if working out in the summer makes them perform better then logically they are being paid for it. Plus like someone else said, I believe they have an option to gave their pay spread over 12 months or something. Plus some players have "bonuses" that are paid at a certain time, I remember Heater got 4 Million on July 1st from the Sens.

Old
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Rusty Trombone, is that you?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
It's not surprising that a user who patterns themselves after Donald Fehr would want to see the players get large salary increases without doing additional work.

Since that's not going to happen, do you have any serious suggestions?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
gcdc14

Because during the off-season there are no mandatory team events.
A player does not have to train at all if they don't want to.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:46 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

how about instead of that....
the organizations pay for the players' vacations or traveling expenses (if any) during the offseason
Or do they do that already?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:46 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
They do. That player simply gets 1.25M during the season, 1M for playing that season, 250k for the off season.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
It's not surprising that a user who patterns themselves after Donald Fehr would want to see the players get large salary increases without doing additional work.

Since that's not going to happen, do you have any serious suggestions?
Why do you try to frame it as if the players do not work during the 'offseason'? Players work very hard. They train daily, attend/organize charity events, do autograph signings, attend media events and give countless interviews. All of which benefit the league and its club teams. I think compensation for this is only fair. Hardly a money for nothing scenario.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Why do you try to frame it as if the players do not work during the 'offseason'? Players work very hard. They train daily, attend/organize charity events, do autograph signings, attend media events and give countless interviews. All of which benefit the league and its club teams. I think compensation for this is only fair. Hardly a money for nothing scenario.
Then players and their agents should incorporate that into their salary demands (and likely do already). And if they aren't, then they aren't very good agents.

Then again, you already know this.

If you're suggesting that in the next CBA negotiations, the players should try to negotiate a larger percentage of the pie IN TOTAL, the response I have for you is this: DUH.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Maravilla

Quote:
why should a guy get paid to train in the off-season? you DONT HAVE TO TRAIN. you should but you dont have to by law. so why get paid for it? if i go out for a 5 mile run and i work as a construction worker should i get paid for it?

Last edited by Doctor No: 09-13-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
why should a guy get paid to train in the off-season? you DONT HAVE TO TRAIN. you should but you dont have to by law. so why get paid for it? if i go out for a 5 mile run and i work as a construction worker should i get paid for it? lock this thread
Because training is part of their job. Players must maintain a high level of fitness in accordance with their contracts. It is not just a hobby or something they do for fun.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Because training is part of their job. Players must maintain a high level of fitness in accordance with their contracts. It is not just a hobby or something they do for fun.
They don't have to train. If they want to keep their jobs, they have to train better than the next best available option.

You're really enjoying this, aren't you?

Old
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

they collect a check during the season. its called a salary. you negotiate that salary knowing exactly when you will receive the checks and knowing full well that you wont collect one during the off season. im sure if the player asked for the team to take there salary and rather than breaking it down into pay periods over the course of the season they broke it up into pay periods over the course of the year that would be fine (unless its not allowed in the cba)

you seem to think they are getting paid like hourly or something.

Last edited by Doctor No: 09-13-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

EVERYONE: Keep the personal attacks out of this, if you want to remain in the thread.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
They don't have to train. If they want to keep their jobs, they have to train better than the next best available option.

You're really enjoying this, aren't you?
Sorry, but does this not translate in to a 'race to the bottom' type of argument? It is kind of like saying ''minimum wage is a good wage for an employee of a hugely profitable company because it is higher than no wage''. Owners have been on record as saying that they wanted the players to be 'partners' - why don't they treat them as such then?

Old
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
why should anyone get paid while they're sitting at home on their ass.
Depends on if they're "on call." If someone's job includes times when they aren't working per se, but have to be ready to go somewhere quickly, at need, then the business or agency is reserving his time because the dude's gotta be ready to fly at a moment's notice, so he obviously can't be working somewhere else. That might necessitate payment.

Per the OP, I suspect if a player wanted his checks cut over a 12 month basis, the team would have little difficulty in obliging them. Heck, schools do it.

Closed Thread