HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm going to miss Eric Fehr!

Old
09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
TSDW
Rookie User

vCash: 500
I'm going to miss Eric Fehr!

Hey guys,

First of all - I'm new to all this - promise not to troll or try and be too noobish, but i have been supporting Caps/watching Hockey for just over a year now, and not ever having played it I wan't to understand more of what's going on - hence signing up here!

Onto Caps chat! While i'm quite excited that we've had an active off-season trade wise, i was disappointed we had to let Fehr go - i thought he provided quite a lot on the ice, even if he could have scored a bit more. I wondered what people thought?

TSDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
BamaCapsFan

I never disliked Fehr, but yeah, I don't think I'll miss him. If we end up missing Fehr, there's probably alot of other bad things happening to explain it, not Fehr himself.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
TSDW
Rookie User

Yeah i accept that. I just liked the guy. Hope he does well for the Jets, they seem to be viewing him as a core player.

TSDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I always liked him well enough. I thought after the 2009-2010 season, we would see a breakout season last year. The guy just can't get his health in order. He's got some nice hands, so I expect he'll put up decent numbers if he can stay healthy and get ice time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I always liked him well enough. I thought after the 2009-2010 season, we would see a breakout season last year. The guy just can't get his health in order. He's got some nice hands, so I expect he'll put up decent numbers if he can stay healthy and get ice time.
I think most would agree with this statement, he was a good community guy as well .... charitable and what not. I wish him well.

Just not against us.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Brave Sir Robin

To me Fehr has always been a disappointment, especially compared to his peers. Hindsight is 20/20, but still, the fact that we could have had any one of Weber, Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Richards, Bergeron, Eriksson, Burns, and chose Fehr instead pissed me off.

Fehn was soft, injury prone, and poor in the postseason. I'm not going to miss him.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
To me Fehr has always been a disappointment, especially compared to his peers. Hindsight is 20/20, but still, the fact that we could have had any one of Weber, Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Richards, Bergeron, Eriksson, Burns, and chose Fehr instead pissed me off.

Fehn was soft, injury prone, and poor in the postseason. I'm not going to miss him.
The only one of those that it's remotely legit to ***** about is Getzlaf. Every one of the others was ranked lower than Fehr.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Fehr was a disappointment, but sucking in the playoffs was not a reason for that. He is definitely a clutch player.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Devil Dancer

Like most, I always liked Fehr well enough, he's just not a special player in any way. He doesn't seem to have an ounce of creativity in his game, and his decent shot wasn't enough to elevate him to core status. Throw in some injuries, and it was time to move on.

Good luck to him, he seems like a very nice guy.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Integral

I like the guy, but I agree with the sentiments that others have expressed here. I'm glad that he's finally able to play NHL in his hometown.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz
The only one of those that it's remotely legit to ***** about is Getzlaf. Every one of the others was ranked lower than Fehr.
Yes, but those guys are his peers. There was so much talent in that draft, and we ended up with Fehr. That's why he is a disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Fehr was a disappointment, but sucking in the playoffs was not a reason for that. He is definitely a clutch player.
Fehr has 6pts in 26 playoff games, 0 GWG. How is that clutch?

Don't get me wrong. Fehr seems like a nice guy, but I don't like him as a player, and therefore I'm glad he's gone.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Of the many guys who are going to try and make it work there, I have a feeling that Fehr is really going to fit in well in Winnipeg. Wish him well. I think that fans of Eric Fehr ought to be pretty happy with the move for him. For the Caps, getting Fehr to engage and buy in at all times was challenging, and I suspect they lost faith he'd come around. They moved him not for the return, but to free up the money to invest in other players on whom they'd rather spend their finite cap space. All part of the push to be a tougher team to play in the Spring.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Caps8112

thought he was a decent player when he was healthy. Still seemed to be lacking. Not upset to see him go. Loved the two goals from him in the WC

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Millhaus

I like Fehr, definitely feel he will become at least a decent 2nd line winger if given legit icetime, and am happy that he was dealt to a team he really wanted to go to. He was never going to get a chance under Boudreau and once he became the latest bit part player to get publicly called out by the coach his days in DC were numbered.

Best of luck to him on Winnipeg.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
IIRC, Bruce gave him one chance on the top line all last year. In the playoffs vs Tampa. I think it was a mistake to test him there so little. He had high goal output for his TOI over the years, yet never seemed to get a significant promotion. Not even to the PP.

I presume Ward is the one set to take Knuble's place one day. I thought it was to be Fehr. I think we will see him pot 20 this year.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
IIRC, Bruce gave him one chance on the top line all last year. In the playoffs vs Tampa. I think it was a mistake to test him there so little. He had high goal output for his TOI over the years, yet never seemed to get a significant promotion. Not even to the PP.

I presume Ward is the one set to take Knuble's place one day. I thought it was to be Fehr. I think we will see him pot 20 this year.
In my mind, a healthy Fehr is a lock for 20, but that's the rub. I always really liked the guy and it drove me crazy how BB handled him. Best of luck to him in Winnipeg.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Injuries got in the way. Wish him the best in Winnipeg.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Yes, but those guys are his peers. There was so much talent in that draft, and we ended up with Fehr. That's why he is a disappointment.

Fehr has 6pts in 26 playoff games, 0 GWG. How is that clutch?

Don't get me wrong. Fehr seems like a nice guy, but I don't like him as a player, and therefore I'm glad he's gone.
Fehr spent a lot of his time here playing limited minutes and often with players without much offense. With Knuble and Semin ahead of him and with BB's apparent dislike of him, it almost guaranteed lower production.

He was one of the few players who showed up against Montreal and as mentioned, he came up big in the WC. I'm not sure if he was hurt in any of the other playoff years, but he definitely was lacking. Take out the Montreal series and he went 2-0-2 in 19 PO games. Hopefully Ward is able to provide that secondary scoring that has been missing.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Whatever man. He wasn't overdrafted. There wasn't a chance the Caps would have taken any of the other guys not named Getzlaf, so it's pointless to complain about them. The only reason he's a disappointment is because he had injury problems. Dude had back-to-back 50 seasons in the WHL, and 25 goals as an AHL rookie. No doubt in my mind that he'd have been a 30-goal scorer, at least, at the NHL level without the injuries.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

have another look at drake's post. its clear to me that there was some kind of buy in/motivational problem with fehr. the main manifistation of that was his not so occasional scratches. he was watching the rangers series til knuble broke his hand.
you are talking about how he never got a shot at the first line while this past playoffs he was a scratch.

often this is put off to boudreau hating. there is a lot more cohesion between boudreau and mcphee than many here give credit. the caps were unhappy with something regarding this player.

darrell green called it being ready for "the right now moment". to be prepared to deliver when you get the chance. preseason fehr was quoted several times saying that he was going to play more like mike knuble. i assume this was fehr repeating to the media what mcphee and boudreau had told him that they wanted. vs the rangers knuble breaks his hand. fehr got his right now moment and didnt bring anything.

by the way, i dont see very much mike knuble in joel ward. ward is 31 and has 40 nhl goals. mike knuble is 39 and has 53 goals in just the last two seasons. frankly, there are not a lot of mike knuble's in the nhl. a handful maybe. if anyone was brought in with the idea of picking up knuble's role, its brouwer with the hopes that brooks laich will find his way to that steady 20-30 goals per.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
meanolthing

I'm just repeating at this point, but I was fond of Fehr. Thought he was a bit under-utilized but it's a team of 20 guys and someone is inevitably going to get their time cut thanks to that circumstance. The two(?) shoulder surgeries didn't help. I'll prolly be buying his Jets jersey this season.

We'll always have those WC goals though .

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolthing View Post
I'm just repeating at this point, but I was fond of Fehr. Thought he was a bit under-utilized but it's a team of 20 guys and someone is inevitably going to get their time cut thanks to that circumstance. The two(?) shoulder surgeries didn't help. I'll prolly be buying his Jets jersey this season.

We'll always have those WC goals though .
Yep, but i think thats all we got, Good Luck.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
txpd

three shoulder surgeries actually, plus that back thing that cost him a year. it could be that when it comes down to it that mcphee was hoping that fehr would pick up knuble's big body in the crease game to take that role when knuble retires. that this last shoulder injury just makes it unrealistic that the guy can flourish playing like that.

so, he got brouwer and moved fehr.

Old
09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Robert Theodorson

He was the anti-Tomas Fleischmann

BB hated Fehr for reasons we'll never know

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
txpd

any chance at all that if this bb hated fehr pov is accurate, that boudreau's reasons were justified?