HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2011, 05:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
What I liked about Zibane was his size & skill, what concerns me about Zibane is what always concerns me with European players, will they be able to handle the physical aspect of the game? What will he do if he is challenged to fight? What if they target him, face wash after every play, constantly hitting him, trying to get him to retaliate? Will he be frustrated, will he retaliate or will he turn into Yashin & disappear?

From what I have seen so far, he seems to have an edge to his game & I'm hoping it will make him play even harder. Personally, I would like him to spend another yr in the SEL to get a little bigger, get a little more hungry, develop a mean streak & learn to work even harder on his game. Given him a spot to early could spoil him, let him wait & get hungrier for it. It won't hurt the Sens but could strengthen him mentally.

Last edited by aragorn: 09-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old
09-16-2011, 05:28 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
What I liked about Zibane was his size & skill, what concerns me about Zibane is what always concerns me with European players, will they be able to handle the physical aspect of the game? What will he do if he is challenged to fight? What if they target him, face wash after every play, constantly hitting him, trying to get him to retaliate? Will he be frustrated, will he retaliate or will he turn into Yashin & disappear?

From what I have seen so far, he seems to have an edge to his game & I'm hoping it will make him play even harder. Personally, I would like him to spend another yr in the SEL to get a little bigger, get a little more hungry, develop a mean streak & learn to work even harder on his game. Given him a spot to early could spoil him, let him wait & get hungrier for it. It won't hurt the Sens but could strengthen him mentally.
I don't know Zibby seems like he would be more likely to be the harasser than the victim lol.

Old
09-16-2011, 05:31 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
So I hear Mika Zibanejad is the real deal...
I've been hearing this too, who's your source?

Old
09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
BigEyedPhish

It is too bad Zibby can't play in the AHL..

While the skill level of the SEL could arguably be higher than in he AHL, the SEL doesn't have the North American game that the AHL has. On top of this, Binghamton has shown that it is one of the best developmental teams in the AHL and it gives the NHL a more hands-on approach to how their prospect develops..

It is a good thing that Rundblad can play in the AHL though, I think he will see some time down here and take the Karlsson route to nirvana.

Old
09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
However his production shouldn't be minimized either, in 26 games in the SEL he scored 5 goals and added 4 assists for 9 points in 26 games. His point total was the most by an under-18 player in the league. He also played in 7 playoff games, scoring a goal and an assist. This is against men, in one of the premier leagues in the world.
I think I read somewhere that his point total was the third highest in the history of the Elitserien for his age.

EDIT: See here: http://www.difhockey.se/nyhet.php?news=7951.

EDIT: Whoops... That's for Djurgarden only... Anyway... Same idea.

Old
09-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Develop a mean streak? He could be entering the NHL at 18, he's got years to earn that right.

Fearing whether he can handle the physical game? He put a guy over the boards last year in the sel...physical is a big part of this guys game. Going to be a good one and very complete.

Most the high end forwards in the league aren't mean. I'll take one of those please.

Old
09-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I think I read somewhere that his point total was the third highest in the history of the Elitserien for his age.

EDIT: See here: http://www.difhockey.se/nyhet.php?news=7951.

EDIT: Whoops... That's for Djurgarden only... Anyway... Same idea.
Sundins numbers after h got drafted aren't even that godly. It's not easy to score in that league that early. He hopped right in and earned more and more ice. Was upward 18 minutes in the playoffs.

Old
09-16-2011, 06:50 PM
4thliner*

Quote:

With the amount of toughness on the team this year I highly doubt anyone is gonna mess around with any of the top young players i.e. Karlsson, Filatov, Rundblad and that includes even 18 year old Zbad.

With his style I am sure he will piss some teams/players off and would like to send tough guys after him but it will be hard to do with Neil, Konopka, and Carkner in the line-up.

Old
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Afro Thunder*

Where do I find Zibby in NHL 12

Old
09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:

I wouldn't give him a spot but if he's clearly earning it (we'll wait and see) then it's hard to tell him no. "Sorry, you're obviously more than good enough to play in the NHL and on this team but we're going to cut you anyway. Guess that work in the off-season was for nothing, lol. See you next year!1"

I think that could have a negative effect on him mentally, personally.

Old
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
I wouldn't give him a spot but if he's clearly earning it (we'll wait and see) then it's hard to tell him no. "Sorry, you're obviously more than good enough to play in the NHL and on this team but we're going to cut you anyway. Guess that work in the off-season was for nothing, lol. See you next year!1"

I think that could have a negative effect on him mentally, personally.
I see your argument and raise you a "you're good enough to be here this year but we think it'll be better for you on a long-term basis if you were not rushed into the league and spent a full year in the SEL".

Old
09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
It is too bad Zibby can't play in the AHL..
I'm pretty sure he can. I just don't think he wants too, as it seems to be NHL or SEL.

Old
09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Where do I find Zibby in NHL 12
His SEL team Djurgården.

Old
09-17-2011, 01:20 AM
starling

Finally some love for Mika from Hockey's Future writers
Quote:
The 2011 crop of draftees were represented at both of these tournaments, with several turning in solid performances.

Perhaps the most notable of the 2011 performers was Ottawa Senators' top pick, Mika Zibanejad. Zibanejad was a player whose stock rose steadily leading up to Draft Day, where he was chosen sixth overall by the Senators. At the Leafs tournament in Oshawa, Ontario, Zibanejad provided ample evidence that the Senators made a wise selection in choosing the budding Swedish forward. Zibanejad displayed a sound offensive game, displaying a nose for the net while also showing that he isn't afraid to go into the corners. As Binghamton Senators and the Senators' prospect squad head coach Kurt Kleinendorst stated, Zibanejad already has few holes in his game, even at this early stage. Zibanejad led his team to the tournament title, something that Senators fans are hoping will be played out in a future Stanley Cup playoff when Zibanejad finally joins the Senators.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...t_tournaments/

Old
09-17-2011, 01:35 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm pretty sure he can. I just don't think he wants too, as it seems to be NHL or SEL.
i think he's under contract with djurgarden. Only has an NHL out-clause, not an ahl one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Finally some love for Mika from Hockey's Future writers

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...t_tournaments/
to be fair, ken mckenna is probably the best writer hf has, and henkelman is, well, who here has heard of henkelman before?

Old
09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i think he's under contract with djurgarden. Only has an NHL out-clause, not an ahl one.
It's not about his Djurgarden contract. It's about the transfer agreement. And in any case, Mika already has an AHL contract.

If a player is reassigned to the minors, he has the choice to go back to Sweden or play it out in the AHL.

Old
09-17-2011, 02:44 AM
derriko

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I don't care because I'm drunk. But Mikko Koivu anyone? Maybe slightly more goals but a hard nosed two-way 60 point center?

Old
09-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I see your argument and raise you a "you're good enough to be here this year but we think it'll be better for you on a long-term basis if you were not rushed into the league and spent a full year in the SEL".
Hey if I had my druthers he'd spend another year in the SEL. But it depends on how ready he looks and how much better he is than the other players.

EDIT: All I'm really trying to say is that the principle of sending him back no matter what could backfire a bit.

Old
09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Develop a mean streak? He could be entering the NHL at 18, he's got years to earn that right.

Fearing whether he can handle the physical game? He put a guy over the boards last year in the sel...physical is a big part of this guys game. Going to be a good one and very complete.

Most the high end forwards in the league aren't mean. I'll take one of those please.
Agreed, a ridiculous POV. Zibanejad has shown nothing to indicate this would be a problem, in fact he's shown the opposite. I can't believe a team that has had incredibly tough europeans like Alfredsson, Chara, Volchenkov etc. still has fans that believe in Cherry like BS.

I'm more worried about Puempel only being a typical hard nosed canadian grinder and not developing offensive skills.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Couturier with a goal and assist in 4-0 win over Leafs. Let the Zibanejad vs. Couturier debate resume.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
Couturier with a goal and assist in 4-0 win over Leafs. Let the Zibanejad vs. Couturier debate resume.
To be fair, Scheifele had a four point night. I still wouldn't take him over Zibanejad or Couturier.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

One remote possibility, is that Z-Bad is convinced to head to the AHL for a short-period with the understanding that he will get called back up. I think the Sens would be reluctant to 'promise' this, in the event he struggles in the AHL, but if Z-bad thinks he is close and is very comfortable here in NA, he might opt (along with his agent) to not head back to the SEL and stay here. It's basically up to him, as the Sens have said he can go back to the SEL if he doesn't crack the opening night roster, but that doesn't mean they can't convince he and his agent to stick around. They might also give him a 8 game try-out. But either way,

As to toughness, I think he has has it in a Forbserg sense. A mean streak isn't something you really develop - you either have it, or you don't. He won't be a huge intimidating presence per se, but neither will he get intimidated. Bobby Holik type attitude if you will (it's not like Z-bad is going to be a big scrapper). A good playoff type attitude to have, for sure.

Offence is the question. While Z-bad showed very well late last year in the SEL, it's not like his production and impact was in elite status amongst former Swedish draftees. Guys like Forsberg, Backstrom and the Sedins put up big numbers in the SEL as draft eligibles. But still has nice upside.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
One remote possibility, is that Z-Bad is convinced to head to the AHL for a short-period with the understanding that he will get called back up. I think the Sens would be reluctant to 'promise' this, in the event he struggles in the AHL, but if Z-bad thinks he is close and is very comfortable here in NA, he might opt (along with his agent) to not head back to the SEL and stay here. It's basically up to him, as the Sens have said he can go back to the SEL if he doesn't crack the opening night roster, but that doesn't mean they can't convince he and his agent to stick around. They might also give him a 8 game try-out. But either way,

As to toughness, I think he has has it in a Forbserg sense. A mean streak isn't something you really develop - you either have it, or you don't. He won't be a huge intimidating presence per se, but neither will he get intimidated. Bobby Holik type attitude if you will (it's not like Z-bad is going to be a big scrapper). A good playoff type attitude to have, for sure.

Offence is the question. While Z-bad showed very well late last year in the SEL, it's not like his production and impact was in elite status amongst former Swedish draftees. Guys like Forsberg, Backstrom and the Sedins put up big numbers in the SEL as draft eligibles. But still has nice upside.
It's not something you impose on the leagues established players at 18 years old either.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's not something you impose on the leagues established players at 18 years old either.
Wasn't implying he doesn't have a mean streak. Quite the contrary. Just tempering what that mean streak will equate to. Haven't seen it in a game sense yet, but I think we will if he is pushed. He isn't a shrinking violet, that's for sure.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Wasn't implying he doesn't have a mean streak. Quite the contrary. Just tempering what that mean streak will equate to. Haven't seen it in a game sense yet, but I think we will if he is pushed. He isn't a shrinking violet, that's for sure.
I just don't understand what some guys obsession with mean streak is around here. What is mean streak? Being physical? Being dirty?

Closed Thread