HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Marklar*

vCash: 500
and no it wasn't an AVERAGE season actually, it was ABOVE AVERAGE PRODUCTION FOR AN 18 YEAR OLD.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
I don't think posters should be chastised for changing their opinions. They have justified why they think Zibanejad has regressed. Why should they be ashamed?

Old
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Marklar*

He hasn't regressed, SevenofSpades. That is the point of my rant. They change their opinion based on nothing but hockeydb records. The same thing happened to Lehner who is shat upon by some people for nothing.

IloveChrisNeil. Dude, it's a message board. Whoever is here to make friends needs to give their head a shake and go outside.

When Zibanejad is in the NHL soon scoring goals with his elite shot and dominating down low, I will LOVE reading the lovefest threads about how awesome of a prospect and player he is again. I can guarantee this will happen.

If Siflverberg starts off slow, oh man watch out for the hatred that will be spewed by the masses on here. I' going to get my popcorn ready for that.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Magix

He has more tools to work with than any other forward prospect in the system and yes thats including the next "alfie". He is still the best prospect the sens have.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:48 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
He has more tools to work with than any other forward prospect in the system and yes thats including the next "alfie". He is still the best prospect the sens have.
glad we have some voices of reason around here.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:00 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
The only thing Zibanejad "has done lately" is have 2 concussions and a meh season.
I think you forgot to mention his gold medal...

Old
09-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Scooter Magee*

I think he will be in the big league this year, my hope is 70-90 pts.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Silfverberg was a second round pick. I'm sorry if we expected even a tiny bit more from a 6th overall pick.
You got more than a tiny bit more from Zibanejad at 18 compared to Silfverberg. And he played on a team in disarray not unlike the one we watched in 2010/11. Far cry from the franchise Silfverberg played for oft considered the best place for young Swedes to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
and no it wasn't an AVERAGE season actually, it was ABOVE AVERAGE PRODUCTION FOR AN 18 YEAR OLD.
This is true. The only reason it was any kind of disappointment is I think the organization imagined he had more to give. They probably still do, none of his skills have diminished.

Quote:
It's debatable, I even think there's something to be said for Mark Stone. But the confusing thing to me is, Mika's skills are probably the most obvious...the only one timer threat we have that is better in the org is Alfredsson.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I don't even know why this thread was bumped.

I haven't seen anyone writing off Zbad. Worst I've seen is people having him as an elite 3rd line centre.

Anyone who knows anything about prospects knows Zibanejad has all the tools to be a dominant physical forward. The main question is whether the Sens want to play him at centre or the wing.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
typical ill-informed response from a hater.

it wasn't a meh season, it was an average season for an 18 year old player. 15 minutes of ice time per game, putting up 0.5 points per game is SOLID.

Mr Silfverberg didn't come close to the same production at 18 years old.
meh = average. Im in now way saying it was a bad season, just a little disappointing and mostly wasn't even his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Touche.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin8tor View Post
I think he will be in the big league this year, my hope is 70-90 pts.
Same.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:33 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Let's stop flaming each other folks. No reason to get so worked up and hostile over fan projections for a prospect.

09-01-2012, 11:38 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Let's stop flaming each other folks. No reason to get so worked up and hostile over fan projections for a prospect.
I'm worried if the lockout goes on more then a month that half our board will be banned haha

Old
09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I'm worried if the lockout goes on more then a month that half our board will be banned haha
I figure we can save everyone's sanity through mass forced ignores

Old
09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I figure we can save everyone's sanity through mass forced ignores
It's been like WWI this summer here! Brothers against brothers. Its insanity!!!

Old
09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

It's debatable, I even think there's something to be said for Mark Stone. But the confusing thing to me is, Mika's skills are probably the most obvious...the only one timer threat we have that is better in the org is Alfredsson.
The thing that I think zibanejad is lacking in my limited viewing of him is aggression and no I dont mean him hitting/roughing up everything that moves. Its more like him asserting himself into the flow of the game as opposed to him going with it. Best example would be his golden goal.

Stone may have better hockey sense, but zibanejad utilizing those natural talents will make him the more dangerous player on the ice. And he has a great work ethic according to the organization so good luck to other teams stopping an explosive skater with size and a booming shot.

Last edited by Magix: 09-02-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old
09-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
The thing that I think zibanejad is lacking in my limited viewing of him is aggression and no I dont mean him hitting/roughing up everything that moves. Its more like him asserting himself into the flow of the game as opposed to him going with it. Best example would be his golden goal.

Stone may have better hockey sense, but zibanejad utilizing those natural talents will make him the more dangerous player on the ice. And he has a great work ethic according to the organization so good luck to other teams stopping an explosive skater with size and a booming shot.
This is where the debate begins. Hard to quantify hockey sense and hockey sense tends to be the x-factor.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Magix

Quote:
This is where the debate begins. Hard to quantify hockey sense and hockey sense tends to be the x-factor.
I agree with that but its not like zibanejad is a north-south player that relies on his speed/power, we have seen some creativity from him in terms of passing, granted I can only find one video of him doing it in practice but its still something.

Its like the crosby vs ovchekin debates (before ov declined). Crosby had better hockey sense while OV was the naturally more talented athlete. I'm not saying OV didnt have great hockey sense, just saying he relied more on his talent rather than thinking the game when he was arguably the best player in the league.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I agree with that but its not like zibanejad is a north-south player that relies on his speed/power, we have seen some creativity from him in terms of passing, granted I can only find one video of him doing it in practice but its still something.

Its like the crosby vs ovchekin debates (before ov declined). Crosby had better hockey sense while OV was the naturally more talented athlete. I'm not saying OV didnt have great hockey sense, just saying he relied more on his talent rather than thinking the game when he was arguably the best player in the league.
I'd be saying there is nothing impressive about ovechkins hockey sense. He lives off his physical talents, it allows him to turn poor choices into goals because he has the physical ability to do what most others can't. It's why he was taking so many more shots than everyone else at one point. And you can draw parallels to zibanejad, although not as talented but maybe somewhat smarter

We've got 3 prospects that could take 3 different paths to success, or not to take it at all. In my mind, hockey sense is the one that makes players with good skill great and carries players with great skill through the NHL into their 40s if they so choose. But it is clear great skill can you places without great hockey sense. I like the players that seamlessly make others more effective.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 09-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
09-02-2012, 12:43 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Who this guy? This didnt happen did it OH YA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPWww...feature=fvwrel

Outside of the Russian goaltender who made 50+ saves he was the best player on the ice in the biggest Jr. game of the year. Ya he had some injury problems but his skill set is very elite he is by far the sens best prospect. Players arent rated on their production its how they can evolve at the next level and he has all the tools to be a star.

Old
09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Magix

Quote:
I'd be saying there is nothing impressive about ovechkins hockey sense. He lives off his physical talents, it allows him to turn poor choices into goals because he has the physical ability to do what most others can't. It's why he was taking so many more shots than everyone else at one point. And you can draw parallels to zibanejad, although not as talented but maybe somewhat smarter

We've got 3 prospects that could take 3 different paths to success, or not to take it at all. In my mind, hockey sense is the one that makes players with good skill great and carries players with great skill through the NHL into their 40s if they so choose. But it is clear great skill can you places without great hockey sense. I like the players that seamlessly make others more effective.

That there will be why I think zibanejad will be the best forward from this current generation of young senators coming up. When this guy peaks (physically, meantally and skillwise) I dont think there will be a forward except maybe an old man spezza that will impact the game the way he potentially could. The career path zibanejad will most likely end up taking wont have him dominate into his mid 30s but from now until then, this kid could be something else as he matures into maybe one of the best combinations of skill, size, power and speed that the senators have ever seen.

Old
09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
That there will be why I think zibanejad will be the best forward from this current generation of young senators coming up. When this guy peaks (physically, meantally and skillwise) I dont think there will be a forward except maybe an old man spezza that will impact the game the way he potentially could. The career path zibanejad will most likely end up taking wont have him dominate into his mid 30s but from now until then, this kid could be something else as he matures into maybe one of the best combinations of skill, size, power and speed that the senators have ever seen.
Or since Hossa at least. We do have a gem, and his attitude fits his skills sets.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Just keep in mind the games most valuable players are ones that can hold onto the puck as they please...it's hard to believe this will ever be Mika's forte. I'm not even taking guesses as far as these 3 players paths go...people are down on Zibanejad for all the wrong reasons. Some don't get the moon from him so he's ****, or some just like to be pessimistic to disguise themselves as impartial and sophisticated.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
The hype Sean Couturier recieved for simply sticking in the NHL as an 18 and playing well defensively
The hype Chris Kreider recieved for simply sticking in the NHL playoffs and showing his size and speed

If we chose to keep Zibanejad in the NHL I believe he would have gotten similar hype.

Put him up the middle and his size, speed and defensive play would have garned rave reviews from the same Couturier fanboys who believe Selke > Art Ross.
Put him on the wing and watch him skate, blast pucks and throw his huge frame around in the playoffs ala newfound Calder trophy cantidate Chris Kreider.

No matter where we put him he'll be a great asset.

Old
09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
The hype Sean Couturier recieved for simply sticking in the NHL as an 18 and playing well defensively
The hype Chris Kreider recieved for simply sticking in the NHL playoffs and showing his size and speed

If we chose to keep Zibanejad in the NHL I believe he would have gotten similar hype.

Put him up the middle and his size, speed and defensive play would have garned rave reviews from the same Couturier fanboys who believe Selke > Art Ross.
Put him on the wing and watch him skate, blast pucks and throw his huge frame around in the playoffs ala newfound Calder trophy cantidate Chris Kreider.

No matter where we put him he'll be a great asset.
AMEN

Closed Thread