HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
How do you know Sens management didn't take BPA based on their internal lists? Do you really think they care about fans prospects rankings or what the draft order WILL be?
Normally I'd agree, but at the time we lacked any forwards, and the impression the Sens management gave was that seriously focused on forwards.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Really?

Cowen-Karlsson-Ceci-Wiercioch
Borowiecki-Blood-Wikstrand-Claesson
Wideman-Gryba-Sdao-Boyle-Fransoo-Aneloski

And that's not even accoutning Marc Methot

How do you know Sens management didn't take BPA based on their internal lists? Do you really think they care about fans prospects rankings or what the draft order WILL be?
Murray had mentioned a few times before the draft took place that he really wanted a forward. My guess is that we passed on Hamilton because we just had taken Karlsson and Cowen and we had Rundblad in the system too.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
no Karlsson wasn't dominant in his first month in NA i don't know what alternate reality your living in , sure he had flashes but those were it. No ones saying Zibanejad and Karlsson are on the same talent level.
Lol, do you speak English or not understand what I'm saying? I said Karlsson tore everything else before he reached the NHL raising such high expectations that since he never really got into it as much as they expected, which was immediately with Kuba on the first pairing, he got sent down to calm him down for JUST 11 GAMES then he came back up and played so much better.

Either way, I was comparing the accomplishments of the two at the time that varied from expectations so no, they are not comparable.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Normally I'd agree, but at the time we lacked any forwards, and the impression the Sens management gave was that seriously focused on forwards.

Usually I'd say what Xspyrit said but I am under the impression that the Sens may have passed over a defensemen to take Zibanejad. Whether Zibanejad was ahead of that player or not on the list they had at the table, I'm not sure, nor does it really matter. IIRC Pierre Dorion did imply they passed on a defensemen they may have liked a tad more to take a forward.

It is typical of fans here in general to spout off about "always take BPA" and acting like they know who the BPA was because they looked at some stupid rankings that the teams don't pay any attention to.

I'm not sure we should be acting like Doug Hamilton is a can't miss franchise defensemen. And if we did pass on a Dman, there's no guarantee that it wasn't Jonas Brodin, either.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
BPA Karlsson - Moved up to get him
BPA Cowen - Drafted him
BPA - trading Rundblad for our firsts (in BM's eye this was the best move)
BPA -?Could have been Zibby. It is easy to say Dougie was BPA now. At the time maybe they felt Zibby was.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
OgieO

I know he's snake bit at Bingo, but I still really like him. He's big, very good skater and seems to have great hands. We've also seen his tremendous shot. All great skills to have at this stage.

What I see when I see him play at Bingo is the rink appears small to him, he's having a hard time seeing the play develop but I believe that is because of the ice size not because of a lack of hockey sense. He just looks cramped out there - things happen so much faster on small ice and he hasn't adjusted yet. Passing lanes are smaller and close faster, guys are on you faster, etc. I think once he adjusts and becomes comfortable in the AHL, his offense will show.

I still look at him and think he could be a very good #2C. A #2C that you win Cups with. I know they probably want him to work at wing, but think he's a better C.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
We are locked in with our top 2 centres.
If he wants to slot in at top 6 he needs to be a winger.
Nice thing is, he can be the first slot in for the draw when Turris gets kicked out. Which happened a lot.
Also, if Spezza goes down, move Turris up and Zibby into 2c spot, or if turris goes down slot him in a 2c.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:22 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
We are locked in with our top 2 centres.
If he wants to slot in at top 6 he needs to be a winger.
Nice thing is, he can be the first slot in for the draw when Turris gets kicked out. Which happened a lot.
Also, if Spezza goes down, move Turris up and Zibby into 2c spot, or if turris goes down slot him in a 2c.
If Turris line remains our shutdown (or at least main defensive) line, it doesn't really matter if Zib becomes our 3rd line center anyways. We wouldn't need our 3rd line to be a defensive grinder line.

It'd be more like the Alfie, Hossa, Havlat days with three scoring lines.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
If Turris line remains our shutdown (or at least main defensive) line, it doesn't really matter if Zib becomes our 3rd line center anyways. We wouldn't need our 3rd line to be a defensive grinder line.

It'd be more like the Alfie, Hossa, Havlat days with three scoring lines.
Puempel-Spezza-Petersson (High End playmaker with our 2 best shooters)
Silfverberg-Turris-Stone (look at the skill and hockey IQ)
Prince-Zibanejad-Noesen (Who doesn't like the sound of that line? Grit & skill FTW)

Those lines would be amazing... Just think about the potential of that top-9... all can shoot the damn puck

* If some of those guys "bust", there's still Pageau, Da Costa, Regin, Greening, Smith, Hoffman...

Old
11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Puempel-Spezza-Petersson (High End playmaker with our 2 best shooters)
Silfverberg-Turris-Stone (look at the skill and hockey IQ)
Prince-Zibanejad-Noesen (Who doesn't like the sound of that line? Grit & skill FTW)

Those lines would be amazing... Just think about the potential of that top-9... all can shoot the damn puck

* If some of those guys "bust", there's still Pageau, Da Costa, Regin, Greening, Smith, Hoffman...
Loooooooooooool, man, those are dream lines and if all end up like that we struck gold, broski.

I'll be ECSTATIC if Silfverberg and Puempel become solid top 6ers alone, but hey, all of these guys are developing really well so who knows.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:40 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I also dont think were gonna let Milan go, unless you just forgot to mention him or those lines are like 10 years into the future (where Spezza would be gone as well)

Old
11-13-2012, 01:12 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I also dont think were gonna let Milan go, unless you just forgot to mention him or those lines are like 10 years into the future (where Spezza would be gone as well)
Milan was traded for Gormley

Old
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Loooooooooooool, man, those are dream lines and if all end up like that we struck gold, broski.

I'll be ECSTATIC if Silfverberg and Puempel become solid top 6ers alone, but hey, all of these guys are developing really well so who knows.
Actually it's close to be very realistic

Prince, Zibanejad and Noesen can at least develop into excellent 3rd liners
Silfverberg and Stone are safe bets to be at least decent 2nd liners, based on their skillset and hockey IQ alone
It all depends on Petersson and Puempel, we need them to boom (instead of bust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Hmmm lol forgot about Michalek...

So in fact, we'd only need one of Puempel or Petersson to boom

2013-14 :

Puempel/Petersson-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Noesen

Highlighted : sure to be NHLers next year (unless bad injuries, etc). If some of those guys aren't ready, we have tons of others who could fill spots while they develop (Regin, Latendresse, Da Costa, Smith, Greening...)

Old
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
corksens

So, is Zibanejad ever going to score a goal?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
So, is Zibanejad ever going to score a goal?
I'm 50/50 on this one.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:14 AM
corksens

I'm high on the kid, but he just doesn't seem to have much poise or finish.

Someone will likely post the WJC winning goal, and that's great. But when there is traffic and screens he doesn't seem to have that touch. His goals come on breakaways and one-timers.

He has to be more dynamic if he wants to become anything in the NHL.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:20 AM
OgieO

Quote:

Someone will likely post the WJC winning goal, and that's great. But when there is traffic and screens he doesn't seem to have that touch. His goals come on breakaways and one-timers.

He's used to playing on the big ice with all kinds of space & time relative to what he's seeing now - he'll adjust to the small rinks and then you'll see him pick it up in that area. My opinion, anyway.

Old
11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Tuna99

Quote:

Which is weird because he seems to have such a presence on the puck in traffic, he's so quick and seems to be able to track loose and dirty pucks so well, he just doesn't seem to be able to finish.

It's almost like his stick is cursed, it does everything right but his stick just won't let him score. Maybe he's got cursed sticks?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
corksens

I want to see him succeed. Big time.

But he might be another guy in a long list of players with all the tools and no tool box. That isn't to say he isn't a smart player - just that he can't seem to put it all together and actually produce.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Reinforcing the fact that he's still a junior is more important than that goal. If he needs to stay in the AHL for 2 years, that's what he should do. If they are patient, there's a good chance he'll develop into a player that can make an impact. They may not have to wait that long for him to come around...he's getting chances. Several of those chances are the kind that are often goals.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Hale The Villain

Kid needs to get his nose dirty. At 6'2,210lbs with above average speed he should be running around making life miserable for the opposing team. That's what frustrates me the most. He can be a guy who is a difference maker even if he isn't scoring.

I've been stating this for the past year - this kid needs time. He came out of nowhere in his draft year to be an asset for his SEL club team. He's one of the rawest prospects out there. We won't get to see the results for another couple years at least. Mika has the same skills package as Marian Hossa, he just isn't putting it all together right now. If he ever does, we're going to be getting a hell of a player.

Those who are proclaiming him a bust need to be patient. If he still isn't scoring a couple years from now, then we have a problem. But for now I think it can be attributed to different ice, the entire team struggling to score (not just Mika) and how raw of a player he is.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Kid needs to get his nose dirty. At 6'2,210lbs with above average speed he should be running around making life miserable for the opposing team. That's what frustrates me the most. He can be a guy who is a difference maker even if he isn't scoring.

I've been stating this for the past year - this kid needs time. He came out of nowhere in his draft year to be an asset for his SEL club team. He's one of the rawest prospects out there. We won't get to see the results for another couple years at least. Mika has the same skills package as Marian Hossa, he just isn't putting it all together right now. If he ever does, we're going to be getting a hell of a player.

Those who are proclaiming him a bust need to be patient. If he still isn't scoring a couple years from now, then we have a problem. But for now I think it can be attributed to different ice, the entire team struggling to score (not just Mika) and how raw of a player he is.
Just curious here, what are some more specific similiarities you see here?

Old
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

He needs to have confidence by dominating at lower level. it will come.

Old
11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Just curious here, what are some more specific similiarities you see here?
Big powerful skater who is not afraid to use the body and has more than decent hands

Old
11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Big powerful skater who is not afraid to use the body and has more than decent hands
Fair enough. As long as we aren't expecting him to be as good a player.

Closed Thread