HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
He won't play, but it's actually not because of the Couties. He just did something with his teeth and/or is ill, don't know which one is the main thing stopping him tonight or if both would be no-go's.
he's really not playing?

so is this why gazley was called up?

Old
11-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Really? Really? Really?

I think he meant he's not in the business of trading 1st Rd picks that his draft team selected.

Ie: Karlsson, Cowen, Zibanejad, Noesen, Puempel, Ceci.

All of the pieces you mentioned were inherited.
Yes really! Yes really! Yes really!

He was not specific, but if you want to play this game.

Traded Jovanovski (1st overall that he drafted)
Traded Mike Brown (1st round pick he drafted)
Traded 2000 1st round pick

There ya go.
Guess what? All those were used to acquire Pavel Bure. I am not bashing Zib. I am saying I am not going to be surprised if he makes another move.

Like when he tried to get Nash this summer.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Yes really! Yes really! Yes really!

He was not specific, but if you want to play this game.

Traded Jovanovski (1st overall that he drafted)
Traded Mike Brown (1st round pick he drafted)
Traded 2000 1st round pick

There ya go.
Guess what? All those were used to acquire Pavel Bure. I am not bashing Zib. I am saying I am not going to be surprised if he makes another move.

Like when he tried to get Nash this summer.
I guess my WWE references are lost on most.

Fair enough! I think you are correct in thinking that IF Mika were to get traded, it would be for a pretty big fish.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Ya, to give you an idea of when I last watched wrestling; It was called WWF. Jericho came over from WCW. StoneCold still wrestled. Undertaker was alive. Owen Hart was alive. Mick Foley still wrestled and the Rock had hair.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post
So instead of playing him in the wide open ice in russia against kids, he'll stick him in a tiny barn in a league known for physicality with men.

Well played Murray
No, more like playing him at home with our coaching staff and our team doctors. Not handing him to Junior team Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Where do you think he's more likely to get injured?
WJHC obviously. Have you seen those kids go all out like they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Quit fooling yourself - there will be no NHL hockey this season.
True.

Quote:
Zibanejad is a scratch because of the Couties.
And there you have it.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:25 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
Wow, lots of negativity here crying bust and questioning the decision to go to the WJC. He's one of 5 teenagers currently playing in the AHL (4th youngest player I think) and what does he have to accomplish at the juniors? The guy scored the gold medal winning goal in overtime last year, he needs to get used to NHL ice against men, not play against kids again.

He'll be good, stop judging players on small samples and adjustment periods.
And this indicates what exactly?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post

WJHC obviously. Have you seen those kids go all out like they do?

:
But then there's the idea of men crashing into men at higher speeds...

The concussion issue was rampant in mens hockey while it didn't appear to be the case in juniors. Bigger impacts at the mens level.

But what am I even explaining this for, your idea was insane in the first place.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:26 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
I guess my WWE references are lost on most.
I think we're all thankful for that.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:50 AM
harrisb

Why do people always bring up that Zib scored the winning gold medal goal? Who cares, I wouldn't say he had a good tourny outside that moment whatsoever. Remember, Crosby scored the golden olympic goal and IMO was terrible that entire tournament. They shuffled him with every player on the team to try and get chemistry and nothing worked. Frankly, it was a garbage goal anyways as he just threw it at the net from a bad angle (I know, I know, you can't score if you don't shoot)

Old
12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Are you complaining about Crosby's goal or Zibanejad's?

Old
12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
BeerandHockey
╚(Ž_Ž)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisb View Post
Why do people always bring up that Zib scored the winning gold medal goal? Who cares, I wouldn't say he had a good tourny outside that moment whatsoever. Remember, Crosby scored the golden olympic goal and IMO was terrible that entire tournament. They shuffled him with every player on the team to try and get chemistry and nothing worked. Frankly, it was a garbage goal anyways as he just threw it at the net from a bad angle (I know, I know, you can't score if you don't shoot)
So what your saying is that Zib = Crosby

Old
12-01-2012, 09:22 AM
harrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Are you complaining about Crosby's goal or Zibanejad's?
Not complaining about either, both played a subpar tourny and received a lot of glory for scoring the winning goal when that love would have been better directed towards the higher producing players (especially in Crosby's case).

Old
12-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisb View Post
I've brought it up because of the complaints that he's not going again this year. As far as experiences go, he won gold, and he was the biggest moment of the tournament.

His tourney was fine last year to be honest, pretty typical of most 5th-6th overalls in their 18 year old year. People who wanted to see Peter Forsberg or Marian Hossa were disappointed, surely.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Anybody who says they're not at least a little disappointed by Zib's year so far is a homer.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Anybody who says they're not at least a little disappointed by Zib's year so far is a homer.
I'd love to see more points on the board but in reality his sub 2% shooting percentage is unlikely to hold up long term and I'd be happy to see him anywhere between 0.5-0.75 and I don't think he's far off from that and I wouildn't be surprised to see him get closer to that over the course of the year. Despite that, some of the plays he's made this year are plays I haven't really seen anyone else capable of. And considering he's...the youngest guy on the roster, it bodes well for him.

As far as the rest of his game goes, I have no complaints. Granted, this isn't really the important stuff. But it is good to know he appears to be a guy that is quite ready to play in the NHL right now. And given his tools he'll have a hard time not being a pretty good player at the least.

Problem is, whenever you draft in the top 10, everyone hopes he's a star. It often doesn't work that way. His talent level is rather obvious and his frame and skating to go with it are very good. It's hard for these players not to develop as they mature. Just sit back and watch, if it doesn't happen, the worst case scenario is NOT a bad thing with this player.

My apologies if I'm not one who finds a way to be disappointed when there isn't really any reason to be..it's not just with this case, we get a lot of that here. A lot of sad people (not necessarily you). Sorry for having patience. I've seen anti-homers chirp the Murrays, Karlsson's size/defensive upside, Cowen's knee and skating, etc. Patience prevailed. The Murray's history of drafting well continued, Karlsson's immense talent shut everyone up, Cowen's knee healed and he looks great.

Though, I don't know anyone who's said they are completely satisfied with Zibanejad's season thus far. But that can mean nothing. I wasn't satisfied with Cowen's WJC in 09, just assumed he'd get better. Wasn't satisfied with Karlsson's first couple years in the league, but assumed elite talent would prevail. I expect to see progression from Zibanejad.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
KlattNazty

hi guys. Toronto fan, but prospect fan in general. Did a prospect profile on zibby a little while ago, and was hoping for some input. let me hear what you guys think

Prospect Profiles

Drafted

Mika Zibanejad - Ottawa Senators 2011 6th Overall
Forward
SEASON TO DATE:
Binghamton SenatorsBK
Skill assessment on 20-80 scale.

SUMMARY

Mika is a polished two-way power centre. Capable of playing wing, but game translates well to the centre-ice. Offensively inclined, Mika possesses a powerful shot, and strong puck skills. Not a true dangler. Strong on cycle and in front of net. Likes to cut to net from wing. Is effective at getting the puck to the net from both above and below the hash marks. Has a powerful build, aids him in explosiveness even if his top-speed is lacking. Capable of generating enough speed quickly that he can catch defenders flat footed. Will engage physically on a whim, and has no problems taking a hit to make a play. Will be a difficult player to deal with in front of net because of determined attitude, powerful build, and balance on skates. Release is not overly deceptive or lightning fast, but smooth and consistent. Sometimes will be too narrow in vision and shoot the puck when a passing opportunity that could create a stronger chance was available. Not the most creative forward. Has nice offensive skills overall, and is capable of creating some offense on his own. Should not be relied upon to carry a line’s offense every night.

Unsure if I am willing to compare his upside to that of a 60+ point player at this point. Believe he can consistently produce 50+ points however.

CSS CHECKLIST:

Skating
(60) Acceleration - First few strides, ability to pull away from or catch other players.
(50) Speed - When in motion at full stride.
(55) Balance - Is he strong on his skates?
(55) Mobility - Agility, footwork, pivots, stops and starts.
(50) Backward Skating - Overall backward skating ability.
Overall = Skating is strong, powerful, if not elegant. Top end speed is lacking, but ability to move around ice with explosive strides is good.

Puck skills
(55) Shot accuracy - Gets puck to net with regularity
(60) Shot strength - Heavy shot difficult to handle for goalies at times
(50) Shot release - Not deceptive, is relatively quick. Consistent
(55) Possess multiple shot types - Nice wrist shot, snap is solid, backhand has power
Stick-handling ability - Can dangle opponents, but is not a top end dangler. At his best when using stick-handling with body to protect puck
(55) Puck protection - Body position is great, protects puck very well, can be difficult to contain below goal line
Faceoffs - Regularly wins draws, and can tie up opponents if unable to win cleanly
(55) Giving a Pass - Capable of passing to create offense, not simply to move to another player. Not overly creative.
(60) Receiving a Pass - Can catch a puck on his blade well, good hands, can cradle well and gain control easily
Scoring touch - Consistently in high traffic areas creating / engaging in offense. Takes puck to net when opportunity available. Cycles well and comes off boards into scoring position with and without puck.
Overall = Very complete offensive package. Does not possesses a true top end puck skill, but shot strength and puck protection may consider merit for this. I expect puck protection skills to improve (perhaps significantly) with added strength, adjustment to NA ice, and further experience in system.

Competitiveness
(60) Scoring drive - Not easy to deter. Consistently fights through checks to get to net. Both with and without puck.
(60) Work ethic - Very rarely takes a shift off. Consistently “in” the play. Noticeable in every zone, and along boards.
(65) Attitude - Calm & easy going off ice demeanor. Very fiery competitor on ice, backs it up with size and scoring. Opponents will fight difficult to contain.
(55) Consistency - Adjustment to NA ice at times presenting problems for him, too early to evaluate at this point. Not for a lack of effort.
Forechecking - Consistently tough along boards, quick to puck, hard on defencemen. Hard into corners and boards.
Overall = Fiery competitor, infectious attitude. Will do what it takes to win, makes things happen in the clutch with all-out mentality.

Physical Play
(60) Board & Corner play - Battles for loose pucks, willing to pay the price with body
(55) Physical presence - Size and strength are used as an asset; tough to play against;
punishes opponents. Doesnt necessarily use size to create offense, could stand to be even more “bull-in-a-china” shop with his motor + strength. Expected to improve with adjustment to smaller ice, and NA game.
(60) Conditioning - Highly conditioned. Great strength. Lower body strength is well above average.
(60) Hitting - Hits with power, hits to take puck away, hits to take a man out of a play if right decision. Will take a hit to make a play.
(N/A) Fighting - Willing to fight and is capable.
Overall = Top end physical player. Could stand to use physicality to “create” offense.

Hockey Sense
(50) Playmaking - Capable of passing to create offense, has vision, and deceptive passing skills. Lacking creativity. North-South game more obvious than 4 way mobility for playmaking.
(50) Anticipation - Reads and reacts to the play, uses motor to consistently put himself in dangerous positions, quick to strike when opportunity arises. Strong in defensive anticipation. Can break up plays. Knows role as power centre/wing and is more reliable being a board/net presence than a dangling/creative offensive threat.
(55) Discipline - Avoids bad penalties, accepts a bad call, not drawn in to retaliation.Could stand to engage a bit more in the nasty, has power to do so.
(50) Decision Making - Sometimes needs to play a more east-west game in order to open up offensive flow in opponents end. Can be guilty of being “predictable”. Is far more effective against “strength” defenders than cerebral ones. Is “safe” doesnt make many mistakes or miss many glaring opportunities, but can leave you questioning his decisions if one expecting a top end offensive star.
(55) Play under pressure - Can at times be frustrated by a tough defense, but is not intimidated or deterred, and still makes correct decisions. Can come through in the clutch.
Versatility - Above average offensively, above average defensively, has strong enough motor and strength to play shut down role. Can be used in any situation.
Overall = Not a strong creative offensive forward. Better finisher than playmaker. Can create offense off cycle, but is not one to make plays routinely from “nothing”. Will not hinder an offensive play, but probably not one to pull the strings. At best when used as a power player, or complimentary offensive piece (front of net presence, along boards, taking pucks to net, shooting, crashing for rebounds).

Defensive Play
(55) Defensive Anticipation - Reads the play, gap control, dogged puck pursuit.
(50) Positioning - Angles opponents, doesnt give opponents time or space, expected to improve when accustomed to NA ice.
(55) Backchecking - Picks up man, returns hard to the defensive zone, fills in gaps when defense caught pinching.
(55) Defensive Reliability - Can be used in tough defensive situations, will sacrifice body.
Overall = Highly reliable defensive forward. Not elite, but could blossom into elite defensive centre as he becomes more experienced.

Psychological Factors
(60/65) Leadership - Takes charge in tough situations, great on-ice demeanor, could easily be a captain.
(55) Communication - Talks to other players and coaches on ice and on bench. Could stand to be a bit more assertive vocally.
Confidence - Great confidence, not easily deterred from his power style of game.
Overall = Has great mentality, will aid him in becoming a top NHLer. Can and will play an important role on a team, and will fit in easily in a dressing room.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Dionysus

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd love to see more points on the board but in reality his sub 2% shooting percentage is unlikely to hold up long term and I'd be happy to see him anywhere between 0.5-0.75 and I don't think he's far off from that and I wouildn't be surprised to see him get closer to that over the course of the year. Despite that, some of the plays he's made this year are plays I haven't really seen anyone else capable of. And considering he's...the youngest guy on the roster, it bodes well for him.

As far as the rest of his game goes, I have no complaints. Granted, this isn't really the important stuff. But it is good to know he appears to be a guy that is quite ready to play in the NHL right now. And given his tools he'll have a hard time not being a pretty good player at the least.

Problem is, whenever you draft in the top 10, everyone hopes he's a star. It often doesn't work that way. His talent level is rather obvious and his frame and skating to go with it are very good. It's hard for these players not to develop as they mature. Just sit back and watch, if it doesn't happen, the worst case scenario is NOT a bad thing with this player.

My apologies if I'm not one who finds a way to be disappointed when there isn't really any reason to be..it's not just with this case, we get a lot of that here. A lot of sad people (not necessarily you). Sorry for having patience. I've seen anti-homers chirp the Murrays, Karlsson's size/defensive upside, Cowen's knee and skating, etc. Patience prevailed. The Murray's history of drafting well continued, Karlsson's immense talent shut everyone up, Cowen's knee healed and he looks great.

Though, I don't know anyone who's said they are completely satisfied with Zibanejad's season thus far. But that can mean nothing. I wasn't satisfied with Cowen's WJC in 09, just assumed he'd get better. Wasn't satisfied with Karlsson's first couple years in the league, but assumed elite talent would prevail. I expect to see progression from Zibanejad.
Bang on. Zibanejad has lots to learn, but he has incredible tools and is surrounded by the Senators player development system which has been fantastic since the Murrays took over.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
I think fans will always be split between those who panic too soon (see Cowen, Jared), and those who hold out hope long after the writing is on the wall (see Lee, Brian). The problem is we don't know the future so we don't know which camp we're in at any given point.

I'm not trying to predict the future, and the kid has obvious talent. I just wish that his stats (this year or previous) were giving us a bit more to get excited about thus far. Obviously that could change fast and I'm not betting that it won't.

The nervousness with this kid is probably twofold:
1) He was a slightly "off the board" pick (late riser, not a huge point producer) and it's hard not to wonder if we'll eventually regret passing on the more highly touted guys like Couturier, Hamilton or Murphy.
2) He played in a man's league at a very young age and he never had the stat-padding junior career.

Hopefully this is just a bit of a slow start.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
He won't play, but it's actually not because of the Couties. He just did something with his teeth and/or is ill, don't know which one is the main thing stopping him tonight or if both would be no-go's.
I heard on the radio earlier this week that he was getting his wisdom teeth removed.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
I think fans will always be split between those who panic too soon (see Cowen, Jared), and those who hold out hope long after the writing is on the wall (see Lee, Brian). The problem is we don't know the future so we don't know which camp we're in at any given point.

I'm not trying to predict the future, and the kid has obvious talent. I just wish that his stats (this year or previous) were giving us a bit more to get excited about thus far. Obviously that could change fast and I'm not betting that it won't.

The nervousness with this kid is probably twofold:
1) He was a slightly "off the board" pick (late riser, not a huge point producer) and it's hard not to wonder if we'll eventually regret passing on the more highly touted guys like Couturier, Hamilton or Murphy.
2) He played in a man's league at a very young age and he never had the stat-padding junior career.

Hopefully this is just a bit of a slow start.
My prediction is that Mika will eventually get nastier (primarily due to frustration with his own play and lack of production), and be forced to evolve. Eventually he will become a a good two-way shutdown centre that you can depend on to step up his game in "big game" situations. As he gets meaner on the ice, space will open up for him.

Once he relaxes and the pressure for him to produce subsides, the offence will come as well.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
I heard on the radio earlier this week that he was getting his wisdom teeth removed.
Great. This guy already has questions about his hockey IQ and now he's getting his wisdom teeth removed?

Murray.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:56 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
hi guys. Toronto fan, but prospect fan in general. Did a prospect profile on zibby a little while ago, and was hoping for some input. let me hear what you guys think

I think you are exactly spot on.

A couple of things I would tweak/add:

-He didn't have great balance last year (constantly falling during his 8 game stint), but is very strong on the puck. (not sure how that works lol)

-Needs to work on his upper body strength. (he's probably above average for his age, but considering his frame, he could definetly add some mass)

My favourite observation that you made which I agree with 100% is:

"Physical Play
(60) Board & Corner play - Battles for loose pucks, willing to pay the price with body
Physical presence - Size and strength are used as an asset; tough to play against;
punishes opponents. Doesnt necessarily use size to create offense, could stand to be even more “bull-in-a-china” shop with his motor + strength. Expected to improve with adjustment to smaller ice, and NA game."

Old
12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Fitch89

Anybody else think a sit down between Alfie and Zibanejad would make a huge difference in terms of confidence and maybe give him a boost to get through this slow patch? Zibby showing some of what Alfie showed in the playoffs last year would be awesome.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

If the 2011 draft was redone today, where do you think Mika would land?

Old
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
If the 2011 draft was redone today, where do you think Mika would land?
If the Sens took him last year because they thought he would translate into a great pro anywhere from 2-4 years down the road, likely 6th. They took him when we were expected to be a lottery team for another year or two, they did not expect him to be a star in the right after being drafted. He is 19 years old.

Closed Thread