HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He can be impressive no doubt, but he is behind Silf, Hoffman, Stone, De Costa, Prince on the depth chart to the NHL - and if you include Noessen and Puempel he may be even further.
Doubt you're depth chart ranking is right.

IMO Silf is definitely at the top of the list, after that I think Zibby is definitely one of the players vying for the number 2 spot.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Jesus. Couturier was falling big time during the draft. A lot of Sens fans wanted him at the time, and now it seems as if he is living up to his initial hype whilst Zibanejad is a middling offensive talent in the AHL.

Why is it so hard for some fans to accept we made the wrong call?
What is it so hard to understand that IT'S JUST TOO EARLY TO MAKE THAT CONCLUSION???

Like seriously.... It's like 2 + 2 = 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Real professionals like the ones that drafted Brian Lee over Marc Staal and Anze Kopitar?

That sort of "real professional"

Real professionals like Bryan Murray that mismanaged a contender into a laughing stock, had a coach carousel running for almost his entire tenure, and took the high hard one in virtually every trade he has made pre "rebuild"

Yeah. The real professionals know what time it is.

And Couturier is 4 years younger than Turris, and has already outscored him, though Turris outpaced him last year, as he should have.

Couts is also a #1C in the making, Turris will probably top out as a #2C.
Stopped taking you seriously here (if I ever did), lost all credibility with that statement... Try to replace all your hindsight with insight, it would do some good on you

Couturier has outscored Turris? Where? Are we supposed to be impressed by his 27 pts? Condra had 25 pts last year, in his rookie season. Chris Kelly had 30 pts in his rookie season (not a lot of ice-time, actually less than what Couturier had.... 12:19 vs 14:08)

Couts is also a #1C in the making? Why? Where can I get a crystal Ball too?

Quote:
Comparing them is ridiculous, and in 5 years time you'll see just how ridiculous.

I'm getting ready for my big plate of crow. Surely Zibanejad is going to do in the future what he has never done in the past, at any level. He is going to turn in to a guy that can put up points, because that's what the "real professionals" think.

I love this board
Ok sure, maybe in 5 years... but not NOW. Is it really that hard to understand?

Comparing them is ridiculous? You mean Zibanejad and Couturier?

So you're sure of that? Imagine you were in a meeting room with Murray and all the scouting department... You'd be ready to go ahead and call them "ridiculous" that they chose Zibanejad over Couturier?

lol, I'd give everything I have to see that

PS : 18 years old rarely rarely rarely put up points in the SEL (pro league, maybe 2nd best in the world, against men).

But seriously, not going to argue more with you, as I know it is a PURE waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
the point he's making is that it's too early to call. as of now it looks that way, and it's absolutely correct and acceptable for you to say that couts is better now, and to say that couts will be better in the future. the second part is opinion though, and it seems you're trying to pass it off as fact. that's the problem

as for your murray bashing: i'm sure someone has tried to convince you that he's done a good job in the past and failed. you seem very set in your ways, so i'm not going to bother trying to sway your opinion there, but murray has done a good job with what he inherited.
lol exactly... but hey it's the most unbiased poster on this board...

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Force him to watch tape of Bertuzzi during the West Coast Express days. If he learns that one hand on stick, lower the shoulder, power move to the net he'll be effective. Right now he's taking too many weak wrist shots from the blueline when he has half a step on the defenseman on the outside.
I agree, however Silf was doing the same thing which suggests a style of play or coaching strategy in the SEL.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
[...]PS : 18 years old rarely rarely rarely put up points in the SEL (pro league, maybe 2nd best in the world, against men).
The problem is Ziba's numbers were pretty average in junior as well.

So we have a player who was average at the junior level, average (if not abysmal) at the Pro level in Sweden and again, very average at the pro level in NA so far.

So besides hoping that he somehow manages to become the player he's never been in his career (Point producer) or that the earth somehow opens up and swallows Couturier whole as he walks to the arena, I have a hard time believing that Ziba will become a better player.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
You can be pretty sure they do spend hours and hours compiling scouting reports on the players. As the year progresses and a team's draft position becomes more certain, I can assure you their list contains comprehensive information on every player they consider potentially available to them.
Yes, as well as the top picks. It's not like they had to throw a dart blindfolded.

Quote:
They don't necessarily like him any less either. While it very likely they aren't thrilled with what happened with Zib last season, I'm not sure that translates into any unhappiness in the player himself.
True. We can't know. Ziba's been progressing at a worse pace than some others, but they might still like him more for what we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I agree, however Silf was doing the same thing which suggests it maybe a style of play or coaching strategy in the SEL.
Silfverberg's scored lots from a bit of a range, so can't really blame him there.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
enviro61

While I understand you can not fully compare picks until you see the whole body of their work at the end of their respective careers, the comparisons can and should start earlier.

A guy like Couturier has already contributed to the NHL team that drafted him in a meaningful way whereas other picks are still developing in the minors. At this stage it is both easy and correct to say that Couturier has performed better than Zib and any other draft pick who has not yet cracked the NHL. He is off to a better start but the rest has yet to be determined.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Landeskog, Larsson, and Couturier were the 3 most "NHL ready" prospects going into the draft.

Do you think the Oil are disappointed they picked RNH instead of the eventual Calder winner?

I happened to really like Zibanejad before the draft, and was thrilled we picked him. Maybe that makes me a "homer fanboy", but the only disappointment I've experienced regarding his development is when management sent him back to the SEL last year.

And stop feeding the trolls, guys.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:07 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Landeskog, Larsson, and Couturier were the 3 most "NHL ready" prospects going into the draft.

Do you think the Oil are disappointed they picked RNH instead of the eventual Calder winner?

I happened to really like Zibanejad before the draft, and was thrilled we picked him. Maybe that makes me a "homer fanboy", but the only disappointment I've experienced regarding his development is when management sent him back to the SEL last year.

And stop feeding the trolls, guys.
Teams seldom if ever admit disappointment over a draft pick as it reflects badly on the organization as a whole and that's a nono in an environment where you try and sell hope and spin whatever positive you can knowing the media is trying to do the opposite.

Besides, in the same vein that it is too early to predict who will be the better player, it is also too early for an organization to begin doubting its choice. Having said that it is normal and fun to make wild prognostications. As for Landeskog, he is looking like the clear #1 if time travel was possible.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

Why would they be? If RNH doesn't hurt himself, he locks up the Calder by February.

Quote:
[...] but the only disappointment I've experienced regarding his development is when management sent him back to the SEL last year.
The 9 game trial showed Zibanejad had no business whatsoever being near an NHL rink for a couple of years at the very least.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Teams seldom if ever admit disappointment over a draft pick as it reflects badly on the organization as a whole and that's a nono in an environment where you try and sell hope and spin whatever positive you can knowing the media is trying to do the opposite.

Besides, in the same vein that it is too early to predict who will be the better player, it is also too early for an organization to begin doubting its choice. Having said that it is normal and fun to make wild prognostications. As for Landeskog, he is looking like the clear #1 if time travel was possible.
Landeskog isn't though. RNH would still be picked first by most teams

Old
12-05-2012, 12:14 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:

I disagree based on the fact that RNH wasn't even supposed to be in the league last year, yet managed to put up as many points in 20 fewer games. Lando was supposed to do what he did last year, whereas RNH was expected to be in Red Deer.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:17 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Sweet. The guy we took 6th overall will be as good as a guy we took 211th overall.
it was a joke, a joke.

i agree with the people that say zibby needs to learn to use his tools (big body, solid skating) and play some power forward offense. his short stint with the sens last year and his season with bingo so far have shown me the same offensive pattern: get into the zone and shoot from just inside the line or pass it off. learn 'dem power moves and embrace your inner power forward self, zibby!

Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Do you think it's better to be over optimistic or better to be the opposite?
Quote:
I think it's better to be realistic.

I'm all for seeing what we've got with Zibanejad. If you guys want to ride the prospect roller coaster over and over again, feel free.

We all know how the ride usually ends.
You can't even answer a simple question properly?

If you want to talk realism, no prospect has ever had his fate decided at 19.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Why would they be? If RNH doesn't hurt himself, he locks up the Calder by February.

The 9 game trial showed Zibanejad had no business whatsoever being near an NHL rink for a couple of years at the very least.
Except that Paul McLean wanted to keep him on the roster. But I'm guessing for forgot that. (I think PM would know better than most of us)

Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
You have kool-aid drinkers and then you have the guys that drink the river water. If I had to choose, I'd take kool-aid, for obvious reasons. To each their own...

The kid was fine to be in the league last year, he was one of two centers playing the last 10 minutes of the last game he played into OT with Spezza. But if you wanted to try and get the scoring upside out of him, it was best to send him to a lesser league to learn to do that. He's been just fine by a two-way defensive standard in the AHL too, as expected, but not scoring. Still 19, still has upside.

Most developing young players often take steps in their second halves of seasons. Try and enjoy the holiday season and come back and see what direction he's headed.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I never heard that line until about a year ago. In fact, at the draft I think the feeling was that Couturier's game wouldn't translate to the NHL and that he was just another one of those guys who'd put up big numbers in the Q but fail at the pro level.

Don't you remember about a year ago when all the hype-sters (Xspyrit and co.) were pencilling him (Zibanejad) onto the 3rd line at a minimum, saying he already had NHL-level defensive abilities? It's funny how the justifications change to suit the facts.
Please find posts because I don't remember hyping Zibanejad that much. Of course, I have high hopes about him since he was our 6th overall pick. I really hope he can be our poor man's Forsberg. He will never produce as much but he could have a real impact on the team. The guy I have hyped a lot is Andre Petersson, a personal favorite. What? Is it prohibited? Can't have fun in an entertainement?

And by the way, Zibanejad could easily have played on our 3rd line last year (particulary when guys like Greening and Condra played in our top-6). MaClean wanted to keep him, Murray didn't want to burn an ELC year.

It's kinda simple, really

Read the other comments, lot of common sense... If it can't straight up your mind, I don't know what will... Oh ya, stubbornness they call it?

Quote:
Zibanejad was a big time riser, and we reached down to pick him. Same thing happened with Brian Lee.

We'll see what happens, but methinks Murray screwed up with the Zibanejad and Puempel picks that year.
Puempel at 24th isn't good enough for your "reasonnable and level-headed" expectations"?

Quote:
No he has not. Since the rebuild / firesale, he has done a good job. Before that, he got railed in pretty much every move he made, but I am not going to rehash all that.

Looking at two players here, Couturier and Zibanejad. Couts is clearly ahead of Zbad now. An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Couturier will in all likelyhood improve as he matures.
I'm not sure how long you have followed the NHL, but just going to throw two names out there :

Jim Carey and Dominik Hasek

You're the kind of guy that would have taken Carey instead of Hasek since Jim had a greater start of pro career and at a very young age

What you say doesn't even make sense. Hockey players are not soccer balls moving at the same speed, in the same direction, facing the same factors, etc. This is utterly ********.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can genuinely say that Zibanejad is ultimately going to be the better player, since there is zero evidence to support that. Believing that will happen is opinion. Believing that Zibanejad will learn how to score goals and be awesome is opinion.

With Couturier, there are results, and there is history. It stands to reason that not only will he continue to do what he has already shown that he can do, but that he will improve as he matures.

So yes, it is my opinion that Couturier will be the better player, based on history. It is your opinion that Zibanejad will be the better player because...???
No one is going to do that without realizing it's just a personal opinion.

Grow up and realize that your opinion isn't the absolute truth.

Based on history? What scoring in the Q and scoring 27 pts in the NHL?

Quote:
He's a very poor man's Minnesota Wild-edition Heatley. He's been eclipsed by a number of guys taken below him, and hasn't shown very much improvement.

You 2 are a real show... Wasn't supposed to spend time on this, but couldn't resist

It's like you are forcing yourselves to see things with "dark glasses"... Do you think you're cool or something?

Quote:
unless is favors Zibanejad...

I have already said I like Zibanejad multiple times in this thread. I am also aware that we can't undraft him and draft Couturier, and we all have to live with the decision that the team made on that day.

I just don't know where all the optimism and hype is coming from, because while I can agree that Zibanejad has tons of raw skill and natural ability, what he doesn't have is "hands" or the ability to bury the puck that some guys (like Stone) just have.

You can't teach hands..
Can't teach hands? Are you saying that Couturier has better hands than Zibanejad?

Quote:
There are a lot of kool-aid drinkers that post here. Nothing the team does is ever wrong, and anyone that questions them is.

All of our prospects can't miss, until they do.

Regardless, my position is based on evidence. Not wishful thinking. People preparing to serve crow are convinced that the management can do no wrong.

That's how it is around here.

Forget about Couturier. The projections I'm seeing for Zibanejad are just far fetched at best. What are they based on? Prospectitis and wishful thinking perhaps.
No man, the team does all kind of "wrong"... and the main thing is not win the Cup once in a while... but what people like you can't understand is that some people don't like to whine for the purpose of whining, they don't like to self-pity like the world was falling down

The reality is that the Sens are a middle of the pack team, who haven't won the Cup in modern history, haven't won in 85 years. Should we all suicide? Or should we be happy with the good things they do? Be grateful to just have a NHL team?

I work with people in need, mostly young people. Last week a 16 y/o girl and a 19 y/o boy died in car crash. The girl was litterally cut in 3 pieces

I went to the funerals yesterday, their friends are devastated but what do you think happened after all that? We had a lot of laughs and a lot of fun. Life can also be celebrated. What's the point of seeing only the dark side of things? Are you more happy because of it? Do you think you are more intelligent because of it? Believe me, it's really not the case.

I do a lot of confrontation, sorry about it but anyone can change if he has the desire to, and I invite you to do so. Let the sun enter your heart

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-05-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Was Silfverberg doomed if he came over at 19 and had a slow start?

Old
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:
Was Silfverberg doomed if he came over at 19 and had a slow start?
Lets be reality, though.

He's 3 years older and 5 points better.

Silfverberg>>>>>>>>Zibanejad

Old
12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Well, we have Mark Stone, and I consider him to be miles ahead of Puempel. I agree with you on Silfverberg, and I expect Lehner to be an NHL goalie one day (although that is no guarantee).
You say that, but many think that mark Stone doesn't have the skating to become a good NHL player... Does that make you a hype-ster? or whatever the **** that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I don't know why people say that either. IMO its completely unclear right now what we have in Zibanejad.
Well, this. We have no idea but at least it's easy to recognize that he has potential. It's still very raw but he has a ton of tools nonetheless.

Quote:
I think it's better to be realistic.

I'm all for seeing what we've got with Zibanejad. If you guys want to ride the prospect roller coaster over and over again, feel free.

We all know how the ride usually ends.
I haven't seen many crazy projections for Zibanejad. (I don't read these boards much anymore but only saw "as good as Hossa" being a bit premature

Saying that he has the potential (no garantee that he reaches it) to be a 30-30 guy down the road seems like a reasonnable one. He was taken 6th overall by one of the best scouting teams in the NHL, if not the best, for a reason, no?

It reminds about Erik Karlsson so much... The guy freaking won a Norris at 21 y/o...

Where are the fools now? Nowhere to be seen.

Where are the kool aid hype-ster posterboy worshippers like me? Still standing tall saying **** the free world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEren_F9EJA

Quote:
You'd think Ottawa fans would learn, but we just can't seem to help ourselves from creating unreal and perhaps unattainable expectations for our young players.

Every year it's the same thing. Foligno is going to break out. Filatov will score 30 playing with Spezza. Butler will score 30 playing with Spezza. Regin is going to be the 2nd line C and score 50 points.

It gets old.
Let just people have fun with it... It's not complicated... Who the **** cares? It's just a damn game, it's not like players were dying of misery. Don't look now but there is again another lockout because they (players + owners) don't make enough money yet.

Try to temper expectations if you want (and that's the right thing to do) but don't cry murder everytime somebody has hopes for a prospect... and please stop believing that your opinion is the absolute truth and stop drawing conclusions (like Couts over Zib) without knowing it is ONLY your opinion.

Quote:
While I understand you can not fully compare picks until you see the whole body of their work at the end of their respective careers, the comparisons can and should start earlier.

A guy like Couturier has already contributed to the NHL team that drafted him in a meaningful way whereas other picks are still developing in the minors. At this stage it is both easy and correct to say that Couturier has performed better than Zib and any other draft pick who has not yet cracked the NHL. He is off to a better start but the rest has yet to be determined.
Of course, but if the Sens knew that last year was the last NHL season ever, they would have picked Couturier for immediate impact.

Your last sentence really sums up things well.

Quote:

So we have a player who was average at the junior level, average (if not abysmal) at the Pro level in Sweden and again, very average at the pro level in NA so far.

So besides hoping that he somehow manages to become the player he's never been in his career (Point producer) or that the earth somehow opens up and swallows Couturier whole as he walks to the arena, I have a hard time believing that Ziba will become a better player.
The thing is that he was pretty much under the radar back then. Everyone knows that Zibanejad is some kind of "late bloomer", "late riser". Everyone knows that Zibanejad played in many places last year (as a 18 y/o kid) and 2 of those were pro leagues against men. He didn't look out of place at all.

Sure he didn't produce like a 1st overall pick would have but it was always the thing with Mika : he's very raw and need time to develop his game. It really isn't much more complicated than that. Just keep that fact in your mind when talking about him and everything will become clear.

And you're totally right, YOU have a hard time believing that Ziba will become a better player

It means it's your opinion. Mine is that it remains to be seen, I have no idea for now and if I had no choice to pronounce myself right now, I'd say that many players in this draft will be better than both of those guys. I still take Zibanejad over Couturier, but it is a PERSONAL OPINION, PREFERENCE. I don't pretend to know for sure what will happen or if it was a mistake or not.

"I aint got no crystal ball"

- Bradley Nowell

Old
12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
BK201

Quote:

Mika actually played pretty well in the junior level... That's why at 17 he was playing in the SEL and after dominating the U18 why he shot up the ranks. It wasn't just that he had 1 good tournament.

You guys knock him but don't say anything about 2 concussions last year that hinder his developement and I suspect you really don't know why he shot up the ranks in the first place...

Read this

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/mik...draft-profile/

It explains pretty well that he was expected to become a good 2 way center with upside....

Old
12-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
So you're saying that Paul MacLean has no business being behind a NHL bench?

Excuse me if not, but that's what I'm reading. I always make links with the real world first. Sorry guys if I'm second guessing random hockey fans instead of real professionals...

I know it should be the opposite

Quote:
You can't even answer a simple question properly?

If you want to talk realism, no prospect has ever had his fate decided at 19.
Game, set and match.

Quote:
Mika actually played pretty well in the junior level... That's why at 17 he was playing in the SEL and after dominating the U18 why he shot up the ranks. It wasn't just that he had 1 good tournament.

You guys knock him but don't say anything about 2 concussions last year that hinder his developement and I suspect you really don't know why he shot up the ranks in the first place...

Read this

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/mik...draft-profile/

It explains pretty well that he was expected to become a good 2 way center with upside....
Exactly, not a lot of Swedish players have begun their pro career at 17 y/o... let alone pro careers in the world... Mika was/is just a kid among adults. Let him become a man first before condemning him

The Ryan Kesler comparison is very good if Mika hits his potential. We're not talking about Hossa here, but a Kesler type (but Swedish!) is more likely (again IF IF IF for the river water drinkers)

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Flamingo

Xspyrit is my new favourite poster.

I get excited about our prospects. I'm not a scout paid to evaluate potential and advise the team on how to use its limited draft picks and free agent money.

No need to lose it when prospects bust, or when another team's prospect thrives.

It's not like we're flooding the main boards with "Zibby >> Couts" threads. And when we did, about Karlsson, we were right.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
So you're saying that Paul MacLean has no business being behind a NHL bench?

Excuse me if not, but that's what I'm reading. I always make links with the real world first. Sorry guys if I'm second guessing random hockey fans instead of real professionals...

I know it should be the opposite

Game, set and match.

Not a lot of Swedish players have begun their pro career at 17 y/o... let alone pro careers in the world... Mika was/is just a kid among adults. Let him become a man first before condemning him

The Ryan Kesler comparison is very good if Mika hits his potential. We're not talking about Hossa here, but a Kesler type (but Swedish!) is more likely (again IF IF IF for the river water drinkers)
I really don't think you read my post if that's what you got out of it.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:48 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:

No, certainly not abysmal... compared to other players his age, he was "average". Congrats, though, the HFBoard's Suiteness have won this years Hyperbole!

Old
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Xspyrit is my new favourite poster.

I get excited about our prospects. I'm not a scout paid to evaluate potential and advise the team on how to use its limited draft picks and free agent money.

No need to lose it when prospects bust, or when another team's prospect thrives.

It's not like we're flooding the main boards with "Zibby >> Couts" threads. And when we did, about Karlsson, we were right.

Now that we have started to see the results of drafting under Murrray, I think they AT LEAST deserve that we give them the benefit of the doubt

Gosh look at the first two drafts :

Erik Karlsson
Patrick Wiercioch
Zack Smith

Andre Petersson
Derek Grant
Mark Borowiecki

Emil Sandin
Jared Cowen
Jakob Silfverberg
Robin Lehner

Chris Wideman
Mike Hoffman
Jeff Costello
Corey Cowick
Brad Peltz
Michael Sdao

I see at least 7 NHL players there and some are/will be very good ones... And we didn't have top-5 picks, only a 18th and 9th overall pick

Now I gotta get back to reality and try to help people with their lives. Have a great day all and appreciate life while it lasts!

Quote:
I really don't think you read my post if that's what you got out of it.
Oops... Ok no, it was more to ADD to your post. It wasn't necessarily directed to you

Closed Thread