HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner to RW- Would that make you happy?

Old
09-15-2011, 11:08 AM
jmoss45

vCash: 500
Gagner to RW- Would that make you happy?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and i'm starting to see the idea float around more at these boards and various blogs. While there is little consensus on Gagner, most agree that
a) faceoffs and defence, both big roles of a centre, are his weaknesses
b) his playmaking and puck skills are his strong suit
c) this is a huge year for him to prove what he's got and how far he's come.

With the Oil now deeper at C i'd like to see him back on RW, at least for a bit. He put up his biggest numbers there in his rookie year. This would allow him to focus more on offence, while lessening his defensive role. Now that we have some centres that can win a draw, we wouldn't be forced to watch Sam put up consist ~42% FO numbers.

Anyone else willing to sign the petition before I send it off to Tom Renney?

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:16 AM
zeus3007*

Hemsky
Eberle
Omark
Jones

Do we trade Hemsky for beans, Omark for beans, Jones for beans, or Eberle to fit Gagner on the RW?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
zeus3007*

multiple post, sorry.

Last edited by zeus3007*: 09-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

If it doesn't look like he can win a faceoff I'd love to see him on the wing this year as opposed to center before he gets shipped out(assuming that this is a make it or break it year for Sam).

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Moneypuck

How is having his act on the right side any less significant than at center?

Sam is a good example of what a submissive center in todays game looks like. The Oilers need someone who can dominate his opponent, not someone the oppositions center will look across at and lick their chops at. Get him outta here.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
jmoss45

Its likely Hemsky will go down with an injury at some point, which would open a spot on RW. Also, I was suggesting to give Gagner a look in camp, to see if he shows any promise.

Its far from guaranteed that Hemsky will be here by the deadline so i'd at least like to get a look at Gagner on the wing before then.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Doesn't really solve anything at this point.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
backhandsauce

Gagner to the East for a Defenseman. We have too many "similar" players up front on the right side.

If Gagner could land us a guy like Jamie McBain (meaning an up and coming guy) then I would be happy. Hockey is a numbers game and eventually I don't see Gagner fitting into our top 6.

McBain would cost more, but I hope you guys get what I mean...

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Its likely Hemsky will go down with an injury at some point, which would open a spot on RW. Also, I was suggesting to give Gagner a look in camp, to see if he shows any promise.

Its far from guaranteed that Hemsky will be here by the deadline so i'd at least like to get a look at Gagner on the wing before then.
It won't be a shock that Hemsky will be on the LTIR when the trade deadline comes and goes. Some team will take a chance on him next season but only because they'll get him for nothing. The Oilers have waited too long to move him, he'll walk at seasons end and the Oil will get absolutely nothing for 83. Tambellini has been burned by the way he handled Souray, the Khabibulin signing, Penner for magic beans and now Hemsky. I included Penner because i don't believe Klefbom and Tuebert will ever be adequate NHL players. Tambellini is a one man wrecking crew.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
It won't be a shock that Hemsky will be on the LTIR when the trade deadline comes and goes. Some team will take a chance on him next season but only because they'll get him for nothing. The Oilers have waited too long to move him, he'll walk at seasons end and the Oil will get absolutely nothing for 83. Tambellini has been burned by the way he handled Souray, the Khabibulin signing, Penner for magic beans and now Hemsky. I included Penner because i don't believe Klefbom and Tuebert will ever be adequate NHL players. Tambellini is a one man wrecking crew.
Penner would have bolted as a FA anyways. As far as Klefbom goes, how do you know? Seen him play before?

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post
Penner would have bolted as a FA anyways. As far as Klefbom goes, how do you know? Seen him play before?
Got me there, you're right, Klefbom seems to be injured when the opportunity has been there. Kid must have a 4 banger for a motor.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:50 AM
dubs

Gagner would be worse at wing then he is at centre.

dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

his lack of strength and poor board work would be a glaring weakness on the wing.

A major problem the last few years has been the teams inability to win puck battles. That would only be worse with Gagner on the wing and Penner gone.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Ladra

He might play tonight

Ladra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
beaterson

Just send Gags back to London

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Albie

I was playing NHL 12 last night and I couldn't even win a single faceoff with him. Even EA Sports realizes this.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I was playing NHL 12 last night and I couldn't even win a single faceoff with him. Even EA Sports realizes this.
LOL, if this wasn't the critical danming evidence we needed to see, i don't know what is. Can't you just pull Messier out of retirement and insert him into the lineup in his place?

Old
09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Actually Gagner somehow for a top 10 pick this year draft would be plenty nice. Colorado GM cannot be only dumb one out there. Let's hope Tambellini can work his magic.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
How did Souray and Khabby "burn us"? Other than a waste of money? It's not like we gave up any assets acquiring them (plus Lowe signed Souray)

Time will tell with the Penner deal.

Let's wait until Hemsky actually gets traded or leaves before we pass judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Beerfish

Gagner has to play center or nothing.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Actually Gagner somehow for a top 10 pick this year draft would be plenty nice. Colorado GM cannot be only dumb one out there. Let's hope Tambellini can work his magic.
This kind of thinking will take you places. Once you have that top 10 pick, send that pick along with Petry or Plante to get you into the top 5. Well played sir.

Old
09-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I actually noticed the same thing. Did you look at Horcoff and Belanger's faceoff ratings? I think they were both around 85.

Gagner is a 70

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I love how the collective reasoning around here works.
"Gagner sucks, but we can probably trade him for a top 10 1st round pick"

Keep it up, you guys are hilarious.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
0ilerman
The King

I think Gagner deserves this year to prove, or disprove, that he can be a 2nd line centre on this team. He's never going to be a quick player, but his upside IMO is something like a brendan morrison or saky koivu. He's got slick hands and good vision. Things like faceoff ability and board work comes with age...he'll get there.

However, if big steps aren't taken this year (+ player, 55-60 pts) then I'm willing to see him shipped out.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
I love how a top ten pick is automatically better then Gagner. If only Gagner was a top ten pick, he wouldn't need to be traded.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote