HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Tyler Myers close to multi-year extension

Old
09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
Yeah this is great and all but who is going to be leaving to open up the 4 million to pay him? Is this the writing on the wall for Boyes?
I think the writing was always on the wall for Boyes.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I wonder if the popular NTC/NMC is one of those "details"....

Fans and media in those cities always seem to have this sense of entitlement that they are pre-ordained to be the "haves" and do whatever they want in the name of trying to win, while the rest of the "have-nots" are just fodder to be dismissed.

I agree with you - it's nice to see the Sabres throw it back in their collective faces but you know that once the Sabres win their first championship, the critics will be discrediting them by saying that they bought their way to it.
They're never going to trade him anyway, so I feel like an NTC or NMC would hardly be a hiccup in this deal.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
They're never going to trade him anyway, so I feel like an NTC or NMC would hardly be a hiccup in this deal.
Also, under this CBA players don't get NTC/NMC during their RFA years anyways, so it would only kick in during the bought UFA years.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Um... no one. Contract extensions don't kick in until the original contract is over. It's not like the NFL.
Um... Sorry commander serious, not everyone knows that contract extensions don't kick in right away.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I think the writing was always on the wall for Boyes.
I don't understand why we bothered trading for him...it was a damned if you do damned if you don't move, if he produced and was good, he'd want more money, which we weren't going to give him. If he stayed on course he'd want average winger money which we wouldn't have given him. If he played poorly, we wouldn't want him back. At this point I'd rather have the prospect that 2nd rounder would have produced.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Um... Sorry commander serious, not everyone knows that contract extensions don't kick in right away.
You made an assumption. It was an incorrect one.

You could have just asked.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Fans and media in those cities always seem to have this sense of entitlement that they are pre-ordained to be the "haves" and do whatever they want in the name of trying to win, while the rest of the "have-nots" are just fodder to be dismissed.

I agree with you - it's nice to see the Sabres throw it back in their collective faces but you know that once the Sabres win their first championship, the critics will be discrediting them by saying that they bought their way to it.
You so know how it will be...

"The Sabres bought the championship. It's not like the Bruins who did with home grown talent like Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Horton, Ryder, Kelly..."

Old
09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I don't understand why we bothered trading for him...it was a damned if you do damned if you don't move, if he produced and was good, he'd want more money, which we weren't going to give him. If he stayed on course he'd want average winger money which we wouldn't have given him. If he played poorly, we wouldn't want him back. At this point I'd rather have the prospect that 2nd rounder would have produced.
Not making the trade for Boyes would have set off endless hours of 'same old, same old' nonsense. They gave up a draft pick for the best offensive player in an admittedly weak trade market, and were lauded for improving their team without giving up a lot.

Now there's this revisionist history about the guy from people who clearly paid no attention to how he played down the stretch.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Pegula love-fest, commence (err...continue!):

Quote:
She [Sabres fan receiving season tickets from Pegula] introduced Pegula to her dog, Sabre, and asked if the rumors of an impeding extension for Tyler Myers were true.

"Tyler ain't goin' anywhere," Pegula told Hummell.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...eliveries.html

Old
09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
To make the playoffs last season, which we probably wouldn't have done if we didn't trade for him. Giving up a 2nd round pick who might be an NHL player in 4+ years for a stretch run/playoffs plus a full season from a 50+ point player is hardly as fatalistic as you're making it out to be.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Second-round picks seldom amount to anything. The Sabres traded one for a year and a half of a 50-point forward. That's a fine deal. Boyes is part of the great scoring depth that Buffalo possesses, so it's baffling that people complain about him.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:31 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
He wasn't getting on your case, just explaining the situation, don't take it personally. Why does everyone on here seem to be so on edge lately?

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
People who read the thread know it.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Now there's this revisionist history about the guy from people who clearly paid no attention to how he played down the stretch.
Agreed. I have a feeling Boyes is going to make a lot of people reconsider not wanting to re-sign him this season.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Second-round picks seldom amount to anything. The Sabres traded one for a year and a half of a 50-point forward. That's a fine deal. Boyes is part of the great scoring depth that Buffalo possesses, so it's baffling that people complain about him.
But this is the 10 year anniversary of one of the best 2nd round hauls ever by the Sabres.....

2001: Roy (32nd), Thorburn (50), & Pominville (55)

3 NHLers out of 3 2nd rounders....

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
But this is the 10 year anniversary of one of the best 2nd round hauls ever by the Sabres.....

2001: Roy (32nd), Thorburn (50), & Pominville (55)

3 NHLers out of 3 2nd rounders....
A rarity.

Quote:
The likelihood of a second round pick developing into a 100+ game NHL player is somewhere between one-in-three and one-in-four. If that player develops, the drafting team also has some advantages, as entry level players have a lower cap over their first contract, and waiver exemptions during their early years which provide the team with some flexibility. Even so, I do not think there is any kind of logical argument that kind of value is a fair return on a player of Boyes' caliber, particularly given that this is not a situation where Boyes was set to walk off into free agency leaving the Blues' holding an empty bag.
http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=843

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Agreed. I have a feeling Boyes is going to make a lot of people reconsider not wanting to re-sign him this season.
In the same way Tim Connolly did last year

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It will be great for the team this season if the debate in the spring is about ways to keep Brad Boyes. For what Ruff seems to want to run -- three scoring lines and a hitting line -- he gives them proven scoring punch and for a modest return (since 2nd rounders typically fail 75% of the time based on various metrics like games played).

09-14-2011, 03:08 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Glad this is getting done early, 5.5 per is very fair IMO

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Not making the trade for Boyes would have set off endless hours of 'same old, same old' nonsense. They gave up a draft pick for the best offensive player in an admittedly weak trade market, and were lauded for improving their team without giving up a lot.

My thoughts exactly, and it's worth noting that this could be a BIG year for Boyes, which would be advantageous to a team trying to win the Cup THIS season. I think a lot of fans are still stuck in "In 3-5 years" mode.

Uh-uh...

Time for everybody to breath deep of the freshly brewed pot of Pegula brand coffee. Because he wants the Cup in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and each and every year after that. Winning It or not winning It, wont change the teams philosophy of intending on winning It. Mr. Pegula knows that real winners don't stumble upon success, you have to work your ass off and plan for it. You have to know that YOU are going to be the one to succeed, and make all those who plan on stopping you fail.

Boyes playing back on the wing, and playing for a big contract, is good. Very good.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Not really for the Sabres.

The Hockey News had a feature a couple months ago about second round success and the Sabres have been the fourth most successful team over the last 20 years.
Out of 23 picks, seven have went on to play over 600 games in the NHL and another four had between 200 and 600 games.
The only team with more players total was Montréal with twelve.
The seven players with over 600 games is tied for third most over that period of time.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Tavares signs.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
People who read the thread know it.
yeah lol,i posted then read the thread.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:

Down the stretch he played great, scored some clutch goals for us, but come playoffs when we could have really used some goals he faded away. We are stacked at winger, so to me, his 4m salary for a 3rd line winger doesn't make sense. Yes, it's awesome to have this depth on the wing, but for that price, I'd rather give one of the home grown kids a shot.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Tavares signs.
Quote:
The New York Islanders have agreed to a new six-year, $33 million contract extension with star forward John Tavares.

The team has called a news conference for Thursday at which they are expected to officially announce the signing of the deal.

Tavares still has one year left on his entry-level contract and will earn $3.75 million this season including bonuses. His extension begins in 2012-13 at $4 million, and will pay $5 million the next season. The contract will pay $6 million in each of the final four seasons of the contract.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375802

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote