HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your superstitions when watching Oil play

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 10:27 AM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
Your superstitions when watching Oil play

What, if any, superstitions do you guys have when watching the Oil on TV or at The Rex or just in general?

Here is mine:

1)During break in play, or when broadcast is going for a commercial break, I always stare at the Oilers part of the score overlay.

2)When there is a faceoff, I always stare at the Oilers player

3)Never bet for or against the oilers on SportsSelect

4)Never watch the hilights of an Oilers loss

That about covers it for me.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:29 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
me, my brother, and my dad ALWAYS sit in the same spots when we go down about 1/2 hour before game time waiting for the game to start when we watch the games at home.

08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Digger12

I don't watch the Oilers on TV.

If I watch, they lose. Every time (or at least it seems like it).

I figure I must've ticked off some anonymous gypsy, 'cause it sure feels like a curse to me.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I don't watch the Oilers on TV.

If I watch, they lose. Every time (or at least it seems like it).

I figure I must've ticked off some anonymous gypsy, 'cause it sure feels like a curse to me.
Interesting... They win about 90% of the games I get to watch on TV. I just wished I could see more of their game's over here and they'd easily finish 1st overall

Old
08-17-2004, 10:55 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
It's not a ritual or superstition but, I've never been to a game live that the Oilers didn't win (knock on wood). I've never even been to a game that's resutled in a tie. I only manage to see about 2 or 3 games a year though (excluding last year where I didn't get to see any). Maybe I could convince Oilers management to hook me up with some season tickets.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
It's not a ritual or superstition but, I've never been to a game live that the Oilers didn't win (knock on wood). I've never even been to a game that's resutled in a tie. I only manage to see about 2 or 3 games a year though (excluding last year where I didn't get to see any). Maybe I could convince Oilers management to hook me up with some season tickets.
And as far as live games go, I've only been to about 5 Oilers games live(3 of which have been in Vancouver) and all have been ties...

Old
08-17-2004, 11:28 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
I always cross something, either fingers or legs.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
What, if any, superstitions do you guys have when watching the Oil on TV or at The Rex or just in general?
LOL I am not a very superstitious person although I laughed with your post because I too used to stare at the Oilers score when I was a lad, especially IIRC when watching the playoffs. I find myself glaring at the Oilers' score sometimes if I'm pissed off at something someone did (often MacT) before they cut to commercial. Sort of a spiteful "look you jerks, you could be leading 3-2 if you had just [insert rant here]". Now that you mention it I also used to usually look away from the opposition when watching the Oilers (faceoffs, etc.). I particularly hated looking at Butch Goring, but with Butch there are valid extenuating circumstances.

When watching at home I do have rituals, often for comfort and enjoyment (adjustment of lights, typical seat to watch from, etc.).

I usually have one beer per period. Partly because it involves a trip to the fridge and I need something to do during the break.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Elvis Lives

Oiler superstitions

Until Petr Nedved arrived in March, I'd cross my fingers and then close my eyes or look away everytime the Oilers went on the power play . . .

Old
08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
I usually have one beer per period. Partly because it involves a trip to the fridge and I need something to do during the break.
That's usually the way it works for me too. Depending on how the game is going, it could include a sprint to the fridge at the commercial T/Os for another. But generally, it's one per period.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Have a slice of Boston Pizza before the game starts.
Have an ice cream cone at the 2nd intermission
Hit Burger King on Calgary trail on the way out of town if they lose, and Taco Bell if they win.
Always wear my blue 'home' jersey if we need a win, they never win when I wear my 3rd. Also always wear nike wind pants to the game.

Old
08-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Wolfpack

I have basically the same superstition when it comes to SportSelect - no matter what the odds, I NEVER bet on the Oilers when I'm playing ProLine. I will bet on them from time to time on an over/under ticket.

Also, my wife and I always kiss after every Oiler goal.

Man, I'm probably going to hear it for that one. But hey, being married to a big-time Oilers fan has its advantages!

Old
08-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
My wife and I have a slight different ritual...after every goal, I pump my fist and squeal like a schoolgirl, and my wife spills her sprite all over herself and her Redwall book and proceeds to pimpslap me for nearly giving her a coronary.

I can't even imagine the rapture I'd be in if she actually kissed me after an Oiler goal...though knowing me, the kiss would only be the beginning.

Old
08-17-2004, 12:14 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
So I take it you want the Oil to score as many as possible then?

EDIT: I won't even ask what would happen should they win a playoff series

Last edited by SerbianEagle: 08-17-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old
08-17-2004, 12:26 PM
copperandblue

I don't have too many but being an ex-goalie there are a couple;

When I go to the games I have to sit in an even numbered seat, I won't allow myself or who I am with talk about the Oilers winning if they are only up by 1 goal with less than two minutes left and although it doesn't matter if I wear my Oiler jersey, I do make sure that my wife wears her's. For whatever the reason the Oilers have a pretty good winning record when she wears her jersey.

When watching them on tv (this is pretty stupid I admit), I usually change the channel when the opposition is breaking into the Oiler zone and then flip backafter a 1/2 minute or so.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Depending on how the game is going, it could include a sprint to the fridge at the commercial T/Os for another.
LOL, yeah certain games basically demand more beer consumption. I think I finished a six pack in the third period of the Atlanta game....thanks at least partly to Bishai and Conklin.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:25 PM
hockeyaddict101

I have three Jerseys

And I will wear the same one until they lose and then switch.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Oiltown16

Well I don't get out to many games unfortunately, but I watch all of the one's on T.V. and I dont have much other then Sitting in the same spot on the couch. That and no one can talk to me during the game.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Joanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
And I will wear the same one until they lose and then switch.
I do the same thing except I have 11 jerseys. Of course, I now can't wear the ones I have had to "retire" because of players leaving.
I was going to get a Bergeron jersey for this year but I decided I like him too much to do that to him.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:52 PM
dynastydays

In all seriousness, I am not a superstitious person AT ALL, except for a few that haunt my Oilers games on the tube:

* wear same shirt as last win until they lose when watching the game.
* sit in the same spot, but each period has its own spot or it becomes a jinx
* in close situations, i have to cross 3 body parts, 2 cancels each other out and 1 just isnt enough.
* if edmonton are scoreless into the 3rd period, I always try to coax someone else around into saying 'shutout' without being obvious, as a last ditch desperate measure to jinx the opposition netminder.

** Playoff one: I CANT MISS the very opening seconds of HNIC, where they say "the following is a presentation of..." with the music and CG animation... or Edmonton are bound to lose :mad:

Old
08-17-2004, 03:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

oh know LMHF#1...should we even bother explaining all of ours? haha...

Old
08-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Cujo_31

I ALWAYS wear my away (white jersey) or Alternate/3rd Oilers jersey if i'm watching on TV or @ Rexall.

Old
08-17-2004, 05:58 PM
smytty's mullet

i've got an away jersey and a 3rd jersey and wear one until they lose and they go to the other one. last year the away jersey worked very well and they had a terrible record when i wore the 3rd jersey. 2 years ago was exactly the reverse.

also, if the oilers win i always eat supper at the same restaurant and drive the same way to the rink for the next game. continue this until they lose. you can get really sick of the same restaurant but it's worth it for 2 points.

Old
08-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Lowetide

Same chair every game. Kokanee beer during game time (Kokanee Gold is also allowed). Wife can talk during the game, and if the Oilers are ahead we play cribbage. If they're behind, then we don't play cribbage. No one mentions cribbage when the Oilers are behind.

We have not played cribbage in April for quite some time.

Old
08-17-2004, 08:36 PM
HotToddy

If a game remains tight in the third period and I'm listening to it on the radio or watching it on TV the tension will start to eat at me and I'll start turning the dial/channel for 10-20 second patches. If the Oil score while I'm doing this I consider myself good luck while 'not' watching/listening and I'll switch mediums (TV to Radio or vice versa).

Closed Thread