HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
kicksavedave
Coach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yeah I think those are supposed to be transition arrows and not value indicators.
This.

I'm not saying we didn't upgrade, but the upgrades appear to be minor, and with two 35 plus year old players being added, short term. Vokun, is of course a bigger upgrade, but its not like we got poor goaltending all year, so while an upgrade, not a critically needed one, IMO. And I doubt Vokun changes the TB series from sweep loss to win. Only a major overhaul of our entire compete level would have done that. I just don't see the core as its made up, with two softies near the center of said core, being the right core. And while we have a few nice players waiting in the wings in Hershey, I don't see any of them significantly changing the franchise larger fortunes.

Something more than a few bottom six players has to change for this team to transform from choking dogs to legit Cup contender. Whether its Pittsburgh, Montreal, or TB, we've been bounced because of lack of heart, not because of lack of talent, three years running. Our heart remains the same... unreliable under pressure.

Still, I'm ready for the season to start. Go Caps!

Old
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I don't believe you. No way were they talking anything but the Redskins on 980 today and every other day of the week. Same goes for 106.7.

Sports radio in D.C. is a joke.
Yeah 980 actually has at least 3 "Capital Insiders" that appear for at least 1 segment on all their shows, accept for the all powerful Mr. Tony of course, throughout the week. Alan May appears twice a week on the Sports Reporters and other show, Craig Laughlin appears at least once a week, and a Capitals blogger appears regularly as well. They started it last season, and its the best, but surely better than its been.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
This.

I'm not saying we didn't upgrade, but the upgrades appear to be minor, and with two 35 plus year old players being added, short term. Vokun, is of course a bigger upgrade, but its not like we got poor goaltending all year, so while an upgrade, not a critically needed one, IMO. And I doubt Vokun changes the TB series from sweep loss to win. Only a major overhaul of our entire compete level would have done that. I just don't see the core as its made up, with two softies near the center of said core, being the right core. And while we have a few nice players waiting in the wings in Hershey, I don't see any of them significantly changing the franchise larger fortunes.

Something more than a few bottom six players has to change for this team to transform from choking dogs to legit Cup contender. Whether its Pittsburgh, Montreal, or TB, we've been bounced because of lack of heart, not because of lack of talent, three years running. Our heart remains the same... unreliable under pressure.

Still, I'm ready for the season to start. Go Caps!
vokoun? game 1 was lost in overtime. one play could have made a difference there. a different outcome in game 1 may have changed the series. vokoun or ward or halpern or brouwer could make a difference in an OT game.

that said, from what i heard carlson would not have played in game 5 at minimum and its really hard for me to think the caps win playoff games without all three of wideman, green and carlson. so, in the end winning game 1 might have been only academic.

which of the corp do you want to see go? for any real impact, it would have to be ovechkin and/or backstrom.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
which of the corp do you want to see go? for any real impact, it would have to be ovechkin and/or backstrom.
I would think he was also talking about Semin and Green in regards to the core, or I would consider them part of the "Young Guns". Having said that, I am taking a new approach to Semin thanks to what Alan May said today on 980. He said he doesn't understand why fans make a big deal about Semin and just accept him for what he is. A 2nd line player who can fill in on the top line from time to time and flashes moments of brilliance. I always thought of Semin as a top talent that only plays on the 2nd line because he has to, and I got frustrated when he didn't take over games when it was needed. Now I'm just gonna look at him as the 2nd line guy behind OV and see how that works.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
vokoun? game 1 was lost in overtime. one play could have made a difference there. a different outcome in game 1 may have changed the series. vokoun or ward or halpern or brouwer could make a difference in an OT game....

So an improved supporting cast could have made a difference but not an improved core? Okay.

Hell, a functional power play alone the past two playoffs and the results could have been very different.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I would think he was also talking about Semin and Green in regards to the core, or I would consider them part of the "Young Guns". Having said that, I am taking a new approach to Semin thanks to what Alan May said today on 980. He said he doesn't understand why fans make a big deal about Semin and just accept him for what he is. A 2nd line player who can fill in on the top line from time to time and flashes moments of brilliance. I always thought of Semin as a top talent that only plays on the 2nd line because he has to, and I got frustrated when he didn't take over games when it was needed. Now I'm just gonna look at him as the 2nd line guy behind OV and see how that works.
That'd be a lot easier if he had a cap hit like a 2nd liner. Rather than having the 18th highest cap hit in the league among forwards (6th among wingers!).

Old
10-04-2011, 09:24 PM
txpd

well...semin is the primary whipping boy and green gets more than his share. i am sure that is what he was talking about. that said, if those players leave, they will be so discredited that replacing them with a second tier player wont make much impact.

if semin goes, kuznetsov gets his slot and a rookie is a crap shoot. if green leaves, wideman stays. i understand those that hate green, but is wideman, carlson orlov better than green wideman carlson for puck movers?

Old
10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
IceBjoern

Quote:
well...semin is the primary whipping boy and green gets more than his share. i am sure that is what he was talking about. that said, if those players leave, they will be so discredited that replacing them with a second tier player wont make much impact.

if semin goes, kuznetsov gets his slot and a rookie is a crap shoot. if green leaves, wideman stays. i understand those that hate green, but is wideman, carlson orlov better than green wideman carlson for puck movers?
Green stays, Wideman leaves. Question is, can Green demand 6-6.5? I'm not sure he's worth it at this point.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:50 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
So an improved supporting cast could have made a difference but not an improved core? Okay.

Hell, a functional power play alone the past two playoffs and the results could have been very different.
i am not sure how you improve the core unless its your belief that a good second tier player would improve the core? i suppose in the playoffs that semin out and brouwer in might improve the core.

in past playoffs the player the caps could rely on for steady top end play was backstrom. he was mia in this past playoffs. i doubt anyone would suggest trading backstrom. i view calls to change the core in general as further calls to get rid of a pet whipping boy. be it semin or green or schultz.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
MoJoSauce

Quote:

Green is far better defensively than wideman(who has been known to make some critical errors on other teams, Boston and FL) but I do like Wideman on the PP. He doesn't have the cannon of a shot that Green has but he seems to move more and make guys move more on the PP.

Carlson looked a little bit like a lost puppy in the playoffs last year, especially while on defense in the TB series. He kept getting beat and was being beat up by their forecheck on a consistent basis, although I guess the same could be said for Green in the NYR series.

Orlov has looked good offensively from the very little I have seen in the preseason, but I think he is another year away from being ready for fultime NHL duties.

We need green a lot more than those other guys, but if he demands too much I think we can get by.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
txpd

green gets credit for a big slap shot that he doesnt really have. his slapper is average. he wrist shot is elite or near. its a common misconception. meanwhile by all accounts wideman does have a cannon.

carlson was injured enough that he should not have been playing in the tampa series. alzner has commented on how he and carlson were trying to adjust their coverage to protect carlson's injury and how difficult it was.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
I have to say I like this. Looking at him for who he is and what he could be.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:35 AM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
green gets credit for a big slap shot that he doesnt really have. his slapper is average. he wrist shot is elite or near. its a common misconception. meanwhile by all accounts wideman does have a cannon.

carlson was injured enough that he should not have been playing in the tampa series. alzner has commented on how he and carlson were trying to adjust their coverage to protect carlson's injury and how difficult it was.
I hadn't heard that but it makes a lot more sense. He and Alzner were great in the NYR series but Tampa was another beast. Hopefully those two can grow even more this year and not slump.

Having wideman for a whole season will be interesting. I personally would like to see him and Green at the point of the PP

Old
10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
Green stays, Wideman leaves. Question is, can Green demand 6-6.5? I'm not sure he's worth it at this point.
Thats a fear of mine. I dont want to pay him 6-6.5 until he shaows he can stay on the ice.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
txpd

i dont really see the need for fear. he will either stay on the ice and bring his game and get an extension or he will struggle and not get one.

additionally, if he is not scoring at career norms and not playing enough games healthy, then his position to bargain for a raise isnt there.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That'd be a lot easier if he had a cap hit like a 2nd liner. Rather than having the 18th highest cap hit in the league among forwards (6th among wingers!).
I agree his salary is high, but it is only a one year deal. Now if he had a Backstrom like contract that would be an issue for me.

As for Green, he is an interesting topic for discussion considering his contract status. He is talented for sure, but he hasn't been healthy at the end of the year for the last 3 years at least has he? Thats what I worry about in regards to signing him to a new deal. And considering what Laich got for an extension I don't see a hometown discount coming either. Me personally, I would rather GMGM and Uncle Teddy invest in Alzner and Carlson instead of giving Green another long term deal if the hometown discount is off the table..

Old
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Let's see how the year plays out. Too many variables to assess Green's worth to our blue line at this point.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
semin is a top 20 goal scorer who has been top 10. it would be a lot easier to pay him like a 20 goal guy, but he is a lot more than that.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:23 AM
txpd

Quote:
I agree his salary is high, but it is only a one year deal. Now if he had a Backstrom like contract that would be an issue for me.

As for Green, he is an interesting topic for discussion considering his contract status. He is talented for sure, but he hasn't been healthy at the end of the year for the last 3 years at least has he? Thats what I worry about in regards to signing him to a new deal. And considering what Laich got for an extension I don't see a hometown discount coming either. Me personally, I would rather GMGM and Uncle Teddy invest in Alzner and Carlson instead of giving Green another long term deal if the hometown discount is off the table..
i think its very hard in today's nhl to get your high end forwards the puck with some time and space and/or get your physical forechecking game going without puck moving defense that can get the puck on their sticks. this is why hannan is out and hamrlik in.

i think they are better off for the long term with green and carlson. not one or the other.

btw...who was it in the media that said carlson would be a norris trophy candidate if he wasnt playing behind green?

Last edited by txpd: 10-05-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

So what do you think? If BB will let MP play @ 2nd line where MJ will be in the end? 4th line center or pressbox? 3rd line center with Laich at wing (and shouldering faceoffs anytime)?

Who's 13th then? Beagle?

I don't believe they will sit MoJo because it will hurt his progress and confidence.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
So what do you think? If BB will let MP play @ 2nd line where MJ will be in the end? 4th line center or pressbox? 3rd line center with Laich at wing (and shouldering faceoffs anytime)?

Who's 13th then? Beagle?

I don't believe they will sit MoJo because it will hurt his progress and confidence.
And because they know he is a better player than Perreault.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
exwhaler

Quote:

Agreed on Semin's contract. The real problem with him is that he's too good to be a second line winger; on most teams, he'd be top line. Because of his scoring output, he gets to demand a higher contract than most second line wingers. In a salary capped world, with the CBA coming up and guys like Alzner, Carlson, Green, and Johansson getting new, more expensive deals in the next couple of years, a long-term contract with Semin (who'll 28 at the close of this season) may not be financially prudent in keeping an effective team together. Which is why I've always termed him as a luxury, especially with a young, cheap talent like Kuz waiting in the wings.

With Green...yeah, a long-term deal like Backstrom's seems out of the question, but I wouldn't mind a 4 to 5 year contract, even at $6-6.5 million. But given his talent and how he's modified his game the past two years (more like getting back to the kind of player he was in juniors), he's worth that, perhaps more. The real question is his health and durability.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think Semin would have to put up elite numbers this season for the Caps to bring him back at anything close to the cap hit he has now. I'm talking 85 points+.

Otherwise, there's some interesting short-term options for a 2nd line wing that could potentially hit the FA market after this season, and offer a grittier, more well-rounded game (Smyth, Doan, Kunitz, Ruutu).

Old
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think Semin would have to put up elite numbers this season for the Caps to bring him back at anything close to the cap hit he has now. I'm talking 85 points+.

Otherwise, there's some interesting short-term options for a 2nd line wing that could potentially hit the FA market after this season, and offer a grittier, more well-rounded game (Smyth, Doan, Kunitz, Ruutu).
Ryan Smyth is terrible.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Ryan Smyth is terrible.
Not for a 2nd line winger. He's not a guy you'd want to be your main scoring threat.

Closed Thread