HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
if semin monsterous, he will get extended early. as i have already mentioned. the better vokoun does and the better the team does in the playoffs, it will really be up to vokoun.
i am pretty sure mcphee could find a salary upgrade for him, but it would not be market

Old
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfAaPnS74 View Post
What do the Caps do if both Semin and Vokoun have monster years? Who goes?
Then Vokoun is out of our budget.

Semin is already out of our budget almost so that's the least of a problem.

PS: With Eakin, Orlov and Kuz all on ELC in the wings McPhee can find enough space to fix everything.

I guess it's about if both Green & Semin will have monster years and then maybe we have a cup at last? Then all problems are minor. But probability of that is not so high.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Then Vokoun is out of our budget.

Semin is already out of our budget almost so that's the least of a problem.

PS: With Eakin, Orlov and Kuz all on ELC in the wings McPhee can find enough space to fix everything.

I guess it's about if both Green & Semin will have monster years and then maybe we have a cup at last? Then all problems are minor. But probability of that is not so high.
Semin is not out of our budget, but Vokoun is. We can afford to sign Semin with the same cap hit for another year. We need him around at least for the duration of Kuznetsov's rookie season, so the latter does not get rushed.

Old
10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Vokoun would need a Vezina and a Cup win for them to make the choice of him over Semin. Just my .2

Now if Semin had a monster year and UFA came calling with a monster offer....so long Sasha...

Old
10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I can't believe you guys are actually missing Hannan after last year. He sure was being pursued in free agency...not.

10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hannan was a solid citizen. He won't be missed because he was simply a steady-Eddie guy. He's one of the best Defensive Ds we've had here in what....10 years +? I simply think Hannan has a higher figure of self worth for himself. I would bet he had plenty of offers for a lot less cash....

Old
10-05-2011, 04:43 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Hannan was a no thrills Dman that flat out knows how to play the game, and will work any angle possible for an advantage. You can try to go by him, he will clothesline you and concuss you. You want to play it tough, he isnt going to turn the other cheek. You want to play it clean, great, he can do that too. We dont have many players of that ilk on D in the entire system. Sure he got running around playing RD with Alzner in the playoffs, but maybe they should have had some time together before that to test the waters. Bruce needs to try all logical pairs this long season; not be so static in his pairings. Playing Alzner with Carlson all year is great. Until one gets injured in the playoffs.

He has presumably helped groom his fair share of your dmen over his career, deliberately or not. Including a few on our own corp, notably Alzner, who he largely never even played with.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 10-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old
10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:

I would trade Mike Green. As long as Semin really turned the corner. With the teams salary cap so top heavy. One of the core guys would have to go to bring some balance to the team. We have a better shot at filling Green minuets.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Malkin won the Conn Smythe. He carried that line, no doubt. But despite their relative lack of production in the regular season, Talbot and Fedotenko each put up 7+ goals in the post-season playing with him (which translates to a 23-25 goal regular season).
Bergeron and Marchand finished 2nd and 3rd on the Bruins in post-season scoring, with 20 and 19 points in 23 and 25GP respectively. Marchand's 11 goals trailed only Krejci's 12.

Weiss has put up 57 (assuming that was a typo in your post) points by playing first line minutes and big PP time. He wouldn't play 20min a night or get 3:30 of PP time for the Capitals. 38% of his points last season were on the powerplay. Even if we split up Nicky and Ovie at ES, Weiss still isn't going to see that kind of PP production on PP2.

He shot 25.6% and 17% the two prior seasons. Small sample size, but he's starting to build a case he's one of those players with a high shooting% (see Brunette).
I'd argue that Laich-Weiss-Smyth is pretty darn close to Boston's 1st line, let alone their 2nd. That line is likely two guys that'll give you ~25-25 and another that'll give you 15-45

And while the aforementioned lines did step it up in the playoffs, there was absolutely no way of knowing that they would beforehand. For all we know, Laich-Weiss-Smyth could be a playoff monster line.

The 67 was indeed a typo, but I don't necessarily buy that Weiss's production would dip. While he wouldn't get as much ice time, he'd also be playing with better players at even strength, much better players on the PP, (likely) in a more offensively-bent system, and he wouldn't get the opposition's shutdown pairing/lines every night.

Old
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Hannan was a solid citizen. He won't be missed because he was simply a steady-Eddie guy. He's one of the best Defensive Ds we've had here in what....10 years +? I simply think Hannan has a higher figure of self worth for himself. I would bet he had plenty of offers for a lot less cash....
i could buy that up to the end of business on july 1. i dont buy that he nearly priced himself out of the league, though. by the time he signed a contract, it was down to the bottom of the barrel.

but for certain we will see what comes next off season.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=998283

That's nice.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i could buy that up to the end of business on july 1. i dont buy that he nearly priced himself out of the league, though. by the time he signed a contract, it was down to the bottom of the barrel.

but for certain we will see what comes next off season.
My outsiders view on Hannan...pure speculation.... Family first guy, pretty humble, not flashy in cars, houses, etc... (as seen by the Caps redline special showing what he drove and houses he was looking to rent). Probably saved most of his money from his last contract which was his career deal. Now the situation is probably about the best fit, team, city for your family. Look at the NFL right now. David Garrard has reportedly turned down multiple teams who are offering him the starting job...all he has to do is sign and pass the physical. He's turned them down because he feels the better situation may open up later on...

This is my speculation with Hannan. He simply chose to pick and choose at this point in his career because he knew he was going to get a fraction of his last annual salary. He may very well have had multi year offers for dramatically less salary or and for a team he didn't want to play for. Instead, he chose to sign with a team close to his hometown on a one year deal, probably trying to get a contract with a western conf team next season.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Good lord...nice to dream. Just for the sake of entertainment it sure would be entertaining if Colorado just stunk up the joint. The idea that we could luck out like Boston did.....dreamy...

Old
10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
...but I don't necessarily buy that Weiss's production would dip. While he wouldn't get as much ice time, he'd also be playing with better players at even strength, much better players on the PP, (likely) in a more offensively-bent system, and he wouldn't get the opposition's shutdown pairing/lines every night.
That is the position Semin is in now and we see how that works out and Semin is a much much more talented player than Weiss.

It is completely unrealistic to think Weiss would produce the same with 2nd line ice time and much less PP time as he does with 1st line ice time and 1st unit PP time IMO.

Someone has to score on bad teams and the guys who get the prime ice time are the ones who are most likely going to do it. That doesn't mean you can take them somewhere else and put them in less choice positions to produce offense and expect similar production. I'll remind everyone that after the fire sale Halpern was close to a point a game guy for the rest of the season getting 1st line and 1st PP unit ice time.

Also lines don't play in a bubble so simply comparing 2nd lines of cup winners means very little...

Old
10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
I'd argue that Laich-Weiss-Smyth is pretty darn close to Boston's 1st line, let alone their 2nd. That line is likely two guys that'll give you ~25-25 and another that'll give you 15-45
Laich-Weiss-Smyth isn't close to Lucic-Krejci-Horton.

Krejci has hit 60+ points two of the past three seasons, including 73 points in 2009. Lucic just potted 30, and Horton is at least on par with Laich offensively (but with a 30 goal upside). All three of them were at 60+ points last season.

Quote:
And while the aforementioned lines did step it up in the playoffs, there was absolutely no way of knowing that they would beforehand. For all we know, Laich-Weiss-Smyth could be a playoff monster line.
Possible, yes. But these monster lines are usually the result of a monster individual effort creating space and opportunities for linemates. That's what having a game breaker like Malkin, Hossa, or Semin is important.

Quote:
The 67 was indeed a typo, but I don't necessarily buy that Weiss's production would dip. While he wouldn't get as much ice time, he'd also be playing with better players at even strength, much better players on the PP, (likely) in a more offensively-bent system, and he wouldn't get the opposition's shutdown pairing/lines every night.
Laich and Smyth are better than Booth and Horton? Not by much, if at all. Granted, he didn't have Horton last year and Booth was injured much of the year before that. Weiss probably wouldn't see much PP time, especially with unit 1.

I also think you're blatantly ignoring the decline of Smyth. He's not close to the same player he was in Edmonton a few years back. He'll be 36 when next season starts, and 37 in those playoffs. I don't want to be anywhere near him.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
My outsiders view on Hannan...pure speculation.... Family first guy, pretty humble, not flashy in cars, houses, etc... (as seen by the Caps redline special showing what he drove and houses he was looking to rent). Probably saved most of his money from his last contract which was his career deal. Now the situation is probably about the best fit, team, city for your family. Look at the NFL right now. David Garrard has reportedly turned down multiple teams who are offering him the starting job...all he has to do is sign and pass the physical. He's turned them down because he feels the better situation may open up later on...

This is my speculation with Hannan. He simply chose to pick and choose at this point in his career because he knew he was going to get a fraction of his last annual salary. He may very well have had multi year offers for dramatically less salary or and for a team he didn't want to play for. Instead, he chose to sign with a team close to his hometown on a one year deal, probably trying to get a contract with a western conf team next season.
If he had signed a longer term deal even at that rate I might buy that but no way was that the case when he just signed a 1 year deal. Family first is not picking up after 1 year, especially when he was just traded the previous season, and moving on.

Hannan was exactly the type of player who was supposed to make a difference in the playoffs with a team like the Caps. When that didn't happen and they sank like a stone his game lost a lot of credibility league wide, especially with teams looking to make a real splash in the playoffs. That is why he had to wait as long as he did to get a deal and then ended up signing for a comparable pittance with a team just hoping to make the playoffs.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Replacing Semin just isn't a realistic possibility (unless we draft Nail Yakupov).

Semin can play like a 100 point player. He will actually never do it, but he garners that respect from opponents whenever he's on the ice. So while he may well end up with another 50 point turd of a season, another 50 point player isn't a clean swap.

If they do make the decision to part ways with him, the team will be a fundamentally different team from top to bottom. That's really the conversation, but it's a tough one to have as it's so open ended.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
txpd

Quote:

could be. if he signs a one year deal on long island next season, that will be shot down hard. time will tell.

btw....here's some interesting insight from hannan as he gets ready for the season to start in calgary.
"I think sometimes I join the rush more now than when I was younger," Hannan said. "Before, with the style of game played, there was a lot more trapping and a lot more, 'Let's just stop everything.' Now, you find the best defence is to stay in the other team's zone a lot, so you're being up in the play and in guys' faces.

"If you're playing in your own end a lot in any game in our league, usually the score isn't looking too good at the end."

Last edited by txpd: 10-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Laich-Weiss-Smyth isn't close to Lucic-Krejci-Horton.

Krejci has hit 60+ points two of the past three seasons, including 73 points in 2009. Lucic just potted 30, and Horton is at least on par with Laich offensively (but with a 30 goal upside). All three of them were at 60+ points last season.

Possible, yes. But these monster lines are usually the result of a monster individual effort creating space and opportunities for linemates. That's what having a game breaker like Malkin, Hossa, or Semin is important.

Laich and Smyth are better than Booth and Horton? Not by much, if at all. Granted, he didn't have Horton last year and Booth was injured much of the year before that. Weiss probably wouldn't see much PP time, especially with unit 1.

I also think you're blatantly ignoring the decline of Smyth. He's not close to the same player he was in Edmonton a few years back. He'll be 36 when next season starts, and 37 in those playoffs. I don't want to be anywhere near him.
And you're blatantly over-exaggerating Smyth's demise. He was right around being a 25-25 guy last year, and in 2009-10 had a scoring rate of 64 points for 82 games.

And yes, Laich+Smyth at even strength in addition to Green, Carlson, Wideman on defense and the inevitable shifts with Ovechkin is miles better than anything that Weiss played with in Florida offensively. It's not even remotely close.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
What amount of exaggeration would have been appropriate?

Old
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You know...this is really starting to piss me off because its so god dammed true.

They finally....finally ****ing get a guy like Hannan last season...and nothing. Now that have Hamrlik, who isn't quite the same as Hannan, but can play that kinda role...and that giant soft ass bean pole is going to play with 52 again.

I defend Bruce quite a bit...but not pairing Green with the kinda player he needs to be paired with is just annoying as ****.
There may be some hope:

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/ca...4&feedID=10283

Quote:
Today at Capitals Kettler Iceplex, Mike Green was paired with Roman Hamrlik in what could be a combination that sticks all season.

Green played much of last season with Jeff Schultz, who is now being paired with veteran Dennis Wideman.

The top pairing of Karl Alzner and John Carlson remained intact.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
txpd

this is what mcphee said when they acquired hamrlik. no matter how much we know preseason lineups mean little, we still take too much from them. 22 and 19 are also back with Ovechkin on the first line.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
GMGM was on DC101 this morning and he said he was hoping to get the Winter Classic in DC either next year, or the not to distant future. He said DC getting the game was a condition the Caps put on the NHL to play in Pittsburg last year. I had no idea. Its pretty cool regardless, and I would think they would have it at Nats Park.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Good lord...nice to dream. Just for the sake of entertainment it sure would be entertaining if Colorado just stunk up the joint. The idea that we could luck out like Boston did.....dreamy...
Yes, i think its a pipe dream, getting Na-il would be awesome, but if Varlamov stays healthy i believe he has something to prove, plus i bet avoiding that plane in Yaroslavl gives him a whole new appreciation for life, game and the club that gave him an opportunity, i think he'll play lights out... also i see teams like Calgary, Columbus, Phoenix and even Edmonton ending up lower then Colorado.
... but i agree, what a stroke of luck it would be...

Last edited by Vladiator16: 10-06-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: forgot about Phoenix
Old
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
GMGM was on DC101 this morning and he said he was hoping to get the Winter Classic in DC either next year, or the not to distant future. He said DC getting the game was a condition the Caps put on the NHL to play in Pittsburg last year. I had no idea. Its pretty cool regardless, and I would think they would have it at Nats Park.
yea, that had been reported previous. it was clear that the capitals did not want to play pittsburgh in that game. i am sure they felt like it was already late to showcase their guy, ovechkin, in the big media game and the idea that he only gets in the game to play second fiddle to crosby was highly against what they wanted.

the league conversely wanted the game so badly as to promise the caps their own game. i am fairly confident that the nhl felt like they had no justification to schedule pittsburgh again without washington as the opponent. so if leonsis rejected the game, they would have lost crosby as well. so they caved.

Closed Thread