HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
If we wait until 2013/2014, we can play the Crosby led Canadiens

Old
10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

+

+

Would result in:

Old
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
GMGM was on DC101 this morning and he said he was hoping to get the Winter Classic in DC either next year, or the not to distant future. He said DC getting the game was a condition the Caps put on the NHL to play in Pittsburg last year. I had no idea. Its pretty cool regardless, and I would think they would have it at Nats Park.
That was reported all over the place around the time of the Winter Classic.
There was a thread recently in one of the forums around here where people were freaking out about the Winter Classic being in DC.

Old
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Yes, i think its a pipe dream, getting Na-il would be awesome, but if Varlamov stays healthy i believe he has something to prove, plus i bet avoiding that plane in Yaroslavl gives him a whole new appreciation for life, game and the club that gave him an opportunity, i think he'll play lights out... also i see teams like Calgary, Columbus, Phoenix and even Edmonton ending up lower then Colorado.
... but i agree, what a stroke of luck it would be...
Hard to play lights out one one leg.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I love it. Let Schultz play safety net with Wideman so he can freewheel it offensively in what should be the 3rd pair. I think it will be good for Schultz to play in a less pressure pairing and see how a solid two way vet like Wideman does things. I could see him AND Green benefitting from this. Sorry it had to take so long to happen.

Green with Hamrlik is going to be silky smooth sometimes and mindblowing blunders at others. Should be a great pair to watch.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
txpd

i have never heard dennis wideman described as a solid two way vet. wideman is mike green with more experience and less ability.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i have never heard dennis wideman described as a solid two way vet. wideman is mike green with more experience and less ability.
Yeah, pretty much. Saying Wideman is a solid two-way vet is like saying Chara is soft.

That said, I really think Schultz plays better when he's serving as a safety net for an offensive defenseman rather than another defensive defenseman like Erskine or Alzner. He plays more within the limitations of his game, concentrates on playing shutdown defense, and lets his offensive-oriented partner run the transition game.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's a guy who can fill in on the PP or the PK and if needed play top pair in a pinch and not implode. If that's not solid two-way, I don't know what is.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
He's a guy who can fill in on the PP or the PK and if needed play top pair in a pinch and not implode. If that's not solid two-way, I don't know what is.
except he is significantly more solid on the power play than the penalty kill and was known for brain fade when chara's partner in boston. i was very happy with his games with the caps last season, but he committed some of the worst turnovers of the entire season in those few games. implosion is definately on his resume.

he's got more experience than he had in boston and he has commented that his game looks a lot better in the right system(florida being the wrong system). personally i'd say that schultz would be very comfortable next to wideman because wides and green are very similar.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
txpd

this is probably a fantasy q and you should hit the fantasy thread from here out, but the truth on the caps goalie deal is that vokoun gets in first. after that its really all about who plays well and who gets wins. if neuvirth can go lights out, vokoun won't play and visa versa.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
except he is significantly more solid on the power play than the penalty kill and was known for brain fade when chara's partner in boston. i was very happy with his games with the caps last season, but he committed some of the worst turnovers of the entire season in those few games. implosion is definately on his resume.

he's got more experience than he had in boston and he has commented that his game looks a lot better in the right system(florida being the wrong system). personally i'd say that schultz would be very comfortable next to wideman because wides and green are very similar.
Lots of players takes lots of heat. Boston has missed him ever since...

He's better defensively than Green and nowhere near as good offensively. I see little comparison other than two different levels of offense (in Green's favor) and two different levels of D (in Wideman's favor).

Old
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
Hi all,

Oilers fan coming in piece, I love watchin the Caps when I can as well.

Question regarding the Vokoun/Neuvirth goalie situation. I picked up both Rinne/Vokoun in my hockey draft this year and I want to know how the starts will be split in Washington off the start of the year.

Is Vokoun expected to get 65-75% of the starts? or is it going to likely start off more like 50/50?

Thanks for your help.
Vokoun will get 60 games if he's playing well....

Old
10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Lots of players takes lots of heat. Boston has missed him ever since...

He's better defensively than Green and nowhere near as good offensively. I see little comparison other than two different levels of offense (in Green's favor) and two different levels of D (in Wideman's favor).
i defy you to take that solid two way veteran stuff to the boston and florida boards.
i dont think he is better defensively than green either. if he is its by the thinnest of margins.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Nobody believed Poti was good for us defensively when he arrived either. Same story...rarely do the fans of ex-players give the player an ounce of credit. Florida? Really? Does anyone play well there?

Better than Green (in his own end) also means more poised, and unlikely to completely implode mentally like we've seen from Green in multiple playoff runs. Just sayin...

Old
10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
txpd

thats not true at all. many here noticed that poti carried all the defensive weight on an islanders team that played over their head to make the playoffs. there is no comparison between tom poti when he arrived in dc and wideman

Old
10-06-2011, 05:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Wideman was legitimately excellent defensively that year (3 years ago?) when he was #2 in +/-, even ignoring the stat itself. The next year was a big decline for him and, well, the Cats are the Cats.

Probably part of the reason he's traveled so much. Glimpses of high level play but not much year to year consistency.

Old
10-06-2011, 06:48 PM
txpd

i am not remotely anti wideman first off. i dont recall that he was unusually good defensively that one season. i do recall that he was worse the next season, though. in florida he didnt fit. what they did and what he did well didnt mess except on the power play.

conversely what the capitals do and what he does well are a strong fit. chase the puck, pass the puck to a forward, chase the play, jump into the play. as much as hannan was not a transition player, wideman is.

wideman is known for giving the puck away. getting the puck in his corner and then passing it to an opponent standing alone in the slot. in the few games he played for the caps last season, he did that three times.

i'd like to think the caps can keep wides beyond this season. on the other hand make no mistake. schultz will be covering up for wideman issues far more than wideman covering for schultz.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Vokoun will get 60 games if he's playing well....
I don't think so. I say he gets 50-55.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
thats not true at all. many here noticed that poti carried all the defensive weight on an islanders team that played over their head to make the playoffs. there is no comparison between tom poti when he arrived in dc and wideman
Pulleeeease....yes...when he was here he got recognition "hey he really can play D", rarely before....MANY is quite the stretch. No sense in debating a guy who is never wrong I guess. You must be a joy to be around.

Old
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i am not remotely anti wideman first off. i dont recall that he was unusually good defensively that one season. i do recall that he was worse the next season, though. in florida he didnt fit. what they did and what he did well didnt mess except on the power play.

conversely what the capitals do and what he does well are a strong fit. chase the puck, pass the puck to a forward, chase the play, jump into the play. as much as hannan was not a transition player, wideman is.

wideman is known for giving the puck away. getting the puck in his corner and then passing it to an opponent standing alone in the slot. in the few games he played for the caps last season, he did that three times.

i'd like to think the caps can keep wides beyond this season. on the other hand make no mistake. schultz will be covering up for wideman issues far more than wideman covering for schultz.
Sure he will....um...I think I said that 2 days ago when I said this leaves 55 as the safetly blanket so Wideman can play more offensive.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Wideman in his best season in Boston. The player I saw that year was very skilled. He was a player I coveted when he left Boston. He's going to surprise some people this year. Look at all the good D that have gone into misery in FLA....that prison sentence means nothing today. Ask Nathan Horton.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:11 AM
MoJoSauce

Who is going to get the A's this season? I havnt seen anything announced and the caps site still has last years up(Poti still listed with the A).

Thoughts on guys? Knuble, Backstrom, Chimera....Laich?

Old
10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I don't think Schultz has covered anything other than his goaltender's view of the puck in his NHL career.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

http://twitter.com/WaltonCaps/status...37026849775616
Quote:
Sound like Michal Neuvirth will get the nod Saturday in Saturday's home opener against Carolina. Vokoun tells media he's backing up.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Sarge seems too immobile to cover for others mistakes. Does anyone remember him bailing out Green, ever, in his glorious +50 year? Breaking up 2 on 1's, after Green foolishly joining the rush without support; or Sarge getting cheered by the old Langway crowds that recognzie and applaud solid defensive play?

Sarge is usually parked in the slot watching to see if Green gets worked over. If the play moves toward the net, he moves out as they shoot. He doesnt lay down the lumber, but will block shots doing that. Not much else. I see a lot of goals scored as Sarge takes that first or second stride out, and is not a factor in the play.

Bailouts should be reserved for the rich fat cats of wall street and their bankrupt company, not the rich fat cats of hockey.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Not surprising given Vokoun's shaky preseason. No sense in lumping the pressure of a home opener on top of that.

Chimera and Knuble will get As.

Closed Thread