HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 07:38 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Vokoun obviously wants to take the job and run with it for that last contract but he was outplayed in pre-season and Neuvirth is the incumbent. He'll get his chance. He should know better than to tell the media. Bruce was visibly pissed.

Old
10-07-2011, 07:42 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
that said, i am getting a stinky feeling about this now that the agent has gone public. mcphee hates that stuff. this is not starting on the right foot. this mess could have legs and be a real mess.
Whatever...you know.

Old
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

I don't think the decision is made without McPhee signing off on it. If it wasn't smoothed over with Vokoun that's still on him. No fall guys. It's his show.

It's a ballsy move made to reward Neuvirth's pre-season play. The logic is understandable enough but it can be perceived to contradict all of the lip service they gave in the summer and pre-season about Vokoun being an elite goaltender commanding much respect. It was probably a bit much to begin with, especially if their faith can be so easily shaken. If that faith isn't shaken then they seem to have poorly communicated that to the player.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I would have liked to have seen TVo get the nod regardless of the prepreseason. Neuvy closed out last year with 4 straight Ls which helped pave the way for wanting needing or getting Vokoun IMO. Starting out on the wrong foot and the facking season hasnt even started. It should probably all clear up soon enough, but does one need to see preseason action to know who our best G is right now?

Old
10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
txpd

i dont know. which of the two guys has won the most playoff games?

Old
10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Michal Neuvirth = 4 Playoff wins
Tomas Vokoun = 3 Playoff wins

From what I saw of Caps preseason Neuvirth looked good and he earned the #1 job IMO last year with Caps

Old
10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Neither of them has won any. The team Neuvirth is on has won more.

Old
10-07-2011, 11:48 PM
MoJoSauce

I think it all boils down to Nuevi being upset they bring in someone to take his #1 when he feels he is a #1. He spent a lot of time this off season working on technique and with coaches, even showing up way early to practice at KCI for the season. He wanted it way more than a seasoned vet like Vokoun. Bruce is rewarding that urge and hunger to compete, kinda like bumping Mojo to 3rd line in preseason and Matty Pearault to the 1st line. If you practice and play hungry, you will do the things to win.

Vokoun expected the job and Bruce wants to send a message to him that this wont be a cake walk and that attitude wont get them a cup. I am still willing to wager Vokoun is in net Monday, and will play more games than Nuevy. I have liked what I have seen out of Nuevy this preseason and I am glad he is playing that way being the in the equation for goaltending future of this organization, where as voukoun is more likely to walk.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:43 AM
txpd

if neuvirth plays more games than vokoun for any reason other than injury, its going to be an ugly distraction.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't mind the decision but the optics just plain stink. Always some drama going on.
That is my feeling also.

Based on their preseason play Neuvirth deserves to be the game 1 starter and I am sure Vokoun would say the same thing. But for some reason both McPhee and Boudreau felt the need to anoint Vokoun as the number 1 during the summer and when you do that you are saying camp/preseason doesn't matter. But apparently now preseason play does matter.

Again, I am fine with the decision but the man management is very hack and the way the information came out and how Vokoun, his agent, and Boudreau handled it with the media is somewhere between less than ideal and awful.

And no way do I feel this is some great organizational plan to give Neuvirth a reward for his strong preseason and keep Vokoun rested for the next 2 games against Tampa and the Pens. Your number 1 plays the 1st game, especially at home, if he is healthy. That is just the way it is. And there are plenty of days off between those 3 games so there is no need to rest anyone. In almost any normal situation if a team has a number 1 he is playing all 3 of those games with no question.

And while we are at it I also don't believe Vokoun will start game 2 if Neuvirth plays well in game 1, especially if the Caps win.

I've never liked how Boudreau has handled his goaltenders and this year is starting off in a less than auspicious way in that area also...

Old
10-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
I never thought I'd see a Caps fan take this absurd line of thinking.

Who has more rings, Ovechkin or Brouwer?

Old
10-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Funkyalligator

Hmm people complain about accountability for the team, and about players trying their hardest and putting it all out there and of course about quality of play with no favoritism displayed by BB. And now he does all those things and he is getting bashed.....doh

Old
10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
hyzer23

I see no problem with Neuvy playing tonight.....neuvirth is good enough to where we play the hot goalie throughout the year....its not rocket science. neither goalie is a liability in net so i see no need to work the hell out either one of them. I wouldnt have cared if they flipped a coin on TV right before the game to see who started IMO

Old
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Monty

My reactions to Boudreau opting to play Neuvirth over Vokoun in the home opener:

Bruce needs to learn better how to manage a true, veteran elite goalie. For years he's coddled some of the top skaters on the team, but has never shown the same approach with the goalies. Now some will say what has coddling the top skaters gotten him - well, not much in the playoffs but excluding last season, some great season performances from the top skaters. And this is also the first time, since Olie four years ago, that Bruce has had to manage an elite veteran goaltender - and Olie wasn't elite by that last season with Bruce, Theo was never elite with the Caps, and otherwise Bruce has only had to manage rookie goalies, or very young goaltenders. Vokoun does not strike me as a prima donna at all, but they always say goaltenders are a different breed, and if Bruce decides to continue his "I don't try to understand goalies" mantra of previous seasons and jerk around or disrespect Vokoun all-season, I don't think it will be a postive. GM obviously represented to Vokoun back in early July that he would be considered the No. 1 goalie, and Bruce went out of his way to state on several occasions that as the coach he concurred and at the very least as the season started Vokoun would be the No. 1 goalie, and now Bruce essentially does an about-face right before the home opener. Seriously, can anyone give an example on any other team that has a clear-cut veteran No. 1 that the team nevertheless started the backup in the home or season opener? (I don't even have to look and am confident that that is a resounding no). "I don't try to understand goalies." Well, this season Bruce most definitely needs to learn to understand Vokoun and manage him so that he becomes the Caps first elite goaltender in the playoffs since Olie in the 98 playoffs.

I don't understand the logic (of some) that say: (1) Neuvirth outplayed Vokoun in the preseason, (2) so Neuvirth deserves to start the home opener; and (3) Bruce is saving Vokoun for the tougher games next week. Aside from agreeing with the poster who said a true No. 1 veteran can handle three games in six days this early in the season without needing to skip one of the games, if Neuvirth outplayed Vokoun and Bruce thinks Neuvirth is playing better right now, shouldn't Bruce have done the reverse, namely, played Vokoun against the lesser opponent - Carolina - and saved the better-playing right now Neuvirth for Tampa and perhaps Pittsburgh, but if Vokoun plays well against Carolina, then call his number again for the Tampa game? If Bruce really made this decision based on (1) Michael played great in the preseason; (2) Michael deserves the nod as a result; (3) Tomas didn't play so hot in the preseason; (4) so Tomas doesn't deserve the nod; but (4) this will allow us to save the not-so-hot-right-now Tomas for the tough opponents next week, I say "Duh?" and "typical Bruce reasoning."

I also don't understand the suggestion that Neuvirth deserves the start because he played better than Vokoun in the preseason. Well Brouwer outplayed Knuble in the preseason, but it appears Knuble is going to be on the first-line. Well Perreault outplayed Backstrom in the preseason but I don't see Boudreau putting Matt on the first line because he deserves it given his preseason play. I have no idea how well or how poorly Vokoun played in prior preseasons, but generally key top goalies or skaters are not demoted on teams for the season opener because they didn't have lights-out preseasons. Bruce's decision that Marcus is not playing on the first line because of preseason play makes perfect sense because Marcus is a young player and didn't quite show he is ready for it yet. In contrast, a decision to not start a veteran No. 1 goalie like Vokoun in the home opener because he didn't have great stats in the preseason would make no more sense than to demote top skaters Alex and Alex to the third line because they didn't exactly have great stats in the preseason either.

Old
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I am willing to bet this is a complete non-issue.

If anything, Bruce is establishing early that the goalies need to roll with his decisions, because they'll both be sitting more than they're used to.

And I believe both goalies understand that.

10-08-2011, 01:37 PM
hyzer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Seriously, can anyone give an example on any other team that has a clear-cut veteran No. 1

How is Vokoun our clear cut number 1? ...

Old
10-08-2011, 01:57 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Michal Neuvirth = 4 Playoff wins
Tomas Vokoun = 3 Playoff wins

From what I saw of Caps preseason Neuvirth looked good and he earned the #1 job IMO last year with Caps
Who was on the better team?

Old
10-08-2011, 02:38 PM
bonzaibondra12

I don't see how you can't start Vokoun and MoJo in game number 1.

We are expecting both of these guys to be two key pieces in very important positions. I understand it is a long season, but the home opener needs to showcase those two. Get a rhythm early.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:47 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

BB mention a few days ago that camp has to mean something. He's rewarding neuvy and MP for that work. Practice and games now determine the rest. Bravo to the coach.

Old
10-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Ovys Missing Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

I don't understand the logic (of some) that say: (1) Neuvirth outplayed Vokoun in the preseason, (2) so Neuvirth deserves to start the home opener; and (3) Bruce is saving Vokoun for the tougher games next week. Aside from agreeing with the poster who said a true No. 1 veteran can handle three games in six days this early in the season without needing to skip one of the games, if Neuvirth outplayed Vokoun and Bruce thinks Neuvirth is playing better right now, shouldn't Bruce have done the reverse, namely, played Vokoun against the lesser opponent - Carolina - and saved the better-playing right now Neuvirth for Tampa and perhaps Pittsburgh, but if Vokoun plays well against Carolina, then call his number again for the Tampa game? If Bruce really made this decision based on (1) Michael played great in the preseason; (2) Michael deserves the nod as a result; (3) Tomas didn't play so hot in the preseason; (4) so Tomas doesn't deserve the nod; but (4) this will allow us to save the not-so-hot-right-now Tomas for the tough opponents next week, I say "Duh?" and "typical Bruce reasoning."
I would say that he wants to reward Neuvirt's hard work and performance in the pre-season.

And he wants to ride the hot hand for a game.

But that he also trusts Vokoun more for the tougher games.

And doesn't want Neuvy to sit for 2 weeks straight.

And maybe demonstrate to Vokoun that being designated #1 doesn't mean you don't perform well when given the opportunity. A little spark-lighting never hurt.

And also, as Mr. Warden said, this is a non-issue by the middle of next week.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
BB mention a few days ago that camp has to mean something. He's rewarding neuvy and MP for that work. Practice and games now determine the rest. Bravo to the coach.
Most proven starters barely show up for preseason. It's an 82 game season. No one is going all out, that is probably playing those games plus postseason.

On top of that, Vokoun flew his family in. You really think it is a non-issue? They have school, and can't stay for Monday's game. I am sure he wanted them to see his first game in a Caps Uniform. His years of play earned his spot.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
Who was on the better team?
which was on the better playoff team? thats debatable. nashville plays the right way with a good coach. right?

Old
10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I for one am glad that the lines of communication between players, coaches and management remain wide open.

This **** is hilarious.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I don't see how you can't start Vokoun and MoJo in game number 1.

We are expecting both of these guys to be two key pieces in very important positions. I understand it is a long season, but the home opener needs to showcase those two. Get a rhythm early.
Maybe he just wants to send out a couple of **** yous to stroke his ego a bit. You know, like he does every year. Because obviously starting Vokoun on a night his family's in town and Neuvirth the next game would make everybody too comfortable for their own good.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Closed Thread