HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Halpysback*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
that seriously gets funnier every time I see it.

Well done

Old
10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Most proven starters barely show up for preseason. It's an 82 game season. No one is going all out, that is probably playing those games plus postseason.

On top of that, Vokoun flew his family in. You really think it is a non-issue? They have school, and can't stay for Monday's game. I am sure he wanted them to see his first game in a Caps Uniform. His years of play earned his spot.
The players he's "benching" don't have the proven track record with the team to cause issues. He's taking low risk moves to begin to instill some sense of discipline and reward. This message is definitely heard by the key players without addressing them directly.

Not only is it a non-issue, it's a positive one. Understood that guys coast and work on things. But vokoun and mojo don't have that luxury.

Old
10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
The players he's "benching" don't have the proven track record with the team to cause issues. He's taking low risk moves to begin to instill some sense of discipline and reward. This message is definitely heard by the key players without addressing them directly.

Not only is it a non-issue, it's a positive one. Understood that guys coast and work on things. But vokoun and mojo don't have that luxury.
This. I like this. Boo Hoo Vokoun. You wanted to be here, don't act like we begged you. If he actually works now that the season starts he'll be the #1. Mojo hasn't earned nothing. Perreault looks hungry and fast.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
He's taking low risk moves to begin to instill some sense of discipline and reward. This message is definitely heard by the key players without addressing them directly.
Well, maybe. When/if Semin and Schultz are likewise disciplined and more accountable when needed I'll stand up and cheer. Beyond individual discipline he still needs to better form team-wide fundamentals. That may indeed be what he's doing in keeping intact the third and fourth lines he prefers but top six chemistry is crucial.

Again, these early lineup decisions are logical enough. That the reasoning behind the decision wasn't explained to Vokoun until a day later--and by Prior--is more the issue. I can sort of see why Irbe may have wanted more $$$ if the goaltending coach is employed as such an essential go-between.

Last edited by Langway: 10-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Well, maybe. When/if Semin and Schultz are likewise disciplined and more accountable when needed I'll stand up and cheer. Beyond individual discipline he still needs to better form team-wide fundamentals. That may indeed be what he's doing in keeping intact the third and fourth lines he prefers but top six chemistry is crucial.

Again, these early lineup decisions are logical enough. That the reasoning behind the decision wasn't explained to Vokoun until a day later--and by Prior--is more the issue. I can sort of see why Irbe may have wanted more $$$ if the goaltending coach is employed as such an essential go-between.
Agreed. Baby steps. I'm giving bb the bod

Old
10-09-2011, 04:44 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
By the way, how awesome is Hamrlik? You guys get it now?

Old
10-09-2011, 01:51 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Leafs fan here. Seriously wondering why Vokoun didn't start?

Caps are my second favorite team. Yesterday,while watching the highlights,I noticed that VOkoun didn't start. That was a serious WTF moment.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Broken vertebrae, out for the season. Drop him in your pool.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Dirtbag59

From what I understand it was a reward for Nuevy's play in camp and preseason. Team has a theme this year of holding everyone accountable and rewarding players for their actual play. They also scratched a healthy Johanson in favor of Mathieu Perreault who had a better camp and preseason.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
txpd

OMG!!!! Vokoun didnt play? Is McPhee going to trade him now?

LOL....I bet a bunch of fantasy spooks got hosed on that deal. HA

Old
10-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
By the way, how awesome is Hamrlik? You guys get it now?
Well, he led the whole team in TOI and notched a balanced 2:20 in PP and 2:41 in PK. I'm excited to see how his season progresses and what sort of influence he has on Green.

Old
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Dirtbag59

I thought this was a pretty good perspective.

Quote:
capscoach
look...virtually all NHL teams try to get their 2nd goalie in by the 3rd game. bb reaized we have our opener against a weak team followed by two VERY important games. he gave nuevy the easy game and now vokoun can play the big ones...it was the right call.

we r still going to need nuevy this season. we don't want him getting stale r vokoun oveworked...he's not young and has not played a long season in YEARS

Old
10-12-2011, 02:15 PM
rban*

JUst wanted to day you guys really struck gold by grabbing Troy Brouwer. I like Philly and whenever I see another team grab a tough hard hitting yet skilled player, I get a sort of penis envy and smack my forehead and think 'why couldnt Flyers get him, he's a prototypical Philly player'.

Well, I did that with Brouwer, and I also did it with Bufflin when he left Hawks. In my mind, the Hawks dismantling meant that they would keep their best skilled players (ie Sharp Hossa Toews Kane Keith Seabrook) but let many other pieces go.

Among the pieces they let go, the best were Brouwer and Bufflin. Versteeg, not so much. Andrew Ladd? Meh!

But you got a good one, a better and younger replacement for Arnott.

Old
10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Very pleased with Brouwer so far, but I guess we'll see what he brings in April onwards. That's what's gonna count for the Caps.

Old
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

We'll see how the contract goes. But I'm just as happy now as I was on draft day.

Old
10-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
But you got a good one, a better and younger replacement for Arnott.
..................?

Old
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
Very pleased with Brouwer so far, but I guess we'll see what he brings in April onwards. That's what's gonna count for the Caps.
I have to start paying more attention to him, but with that second line it's just so much easier to pay attention to Sasha and MaJo. So far I've noticed a couple of hits and checks as well as his tip in goal but he hasn't stood out to me as much as every individual on that 3rd line.

Conversely I need to start finding out why people are so pissed off at Knuble. Personally my only complaint about him has been him loosing the handles on those dirty goals in front of the net. It seemed no one else noticed that he had two pretty big hits against Tampa.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I have to start paying more attention to him, but with that second line it's just so much easier to pay attention to Sasha and MaJo. So far I've noticed a couple of hits and checks as well as his tip in goal but he hasn't stood out to me as much as every individual on that 3rd line.

Conversely I need to start finding out why people are so pissed off at Knuble. Personally my only complaint about him has been him loosing the handles on those dirty goals in front of the net. It seemed no one else noticed that he had two pretty big hits against Tampa.
That's exactly what we expected from Brouwer. Hits and checks. The tip-in is a huge bonus as far as I'm concerned. I expected a physical player who would open up space for danglers. The fact that he also has hands is beyond awesome.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Agreed, doesn't knoobs always start out slow and get hotter towards the end of the stretch? Is there anything new here, he will notch 20 goals this season as usual, even on the second line.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:48 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

How's Hamrlik looking so far?

Old
10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
How's Hamrlik looking so far?
He needs to develop better chemistry with Green if that pairing's going to be truly effective. But he seems to be blocking shots as he's known for.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:22 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I think Green needs to develop better chemistry with Hammer more than vice versa. Green looks like a nervous rookie to me. All those years of having to hustle for two people may be rearing its head.

Hammer looks as advertized to me.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Millhaus

If people are expecting instant chemistry between long time Caps and new guys I don't know what to tell you. I have no doubt the chemistry will come but it isn't going to happen overnight...

Old
10-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Brave Sir Robin

I'm curious who you guys think should play 1RW for the time being. Personally I thought Brouwer looked better than Knuble.

Old
10-15-2011, 07:46 AM
txpd

looks can be deceiving particularly when it comes to knuble particularly if the reason you think he doesnt look good because he is slow.

knuble has obvious effective chemistry with johansson who faster than either backstrom or ovechkin.

Closed Thread