HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Im pretty sure sjogren is slotted as the 3rd line center provided he can faceoff....otherwise there really wasn't a point to signing him.
I'll bet you $5 he's the 4th line right wing or worse.

Old
09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, what evidence has there ever been that anyone in management believes Sjogren is slotted in anywhere in the lineup?

Seems like that was manufactured here.

Old
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Jay Beagle was the Caps' leader in faceoff percentage last year?!?

Old
09-20-2011, 01:56 PM
txpd

double post. sorry

Last edited by txpd: 09-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, what evidence has there ever been that anyone in management believes Sjogren is slotted in anywhere in the lineup?

just process of elimination. if laich is not the 3c and halpern is the 4c, then the 3c would have to be one of perreault, sjogren or eakin. tonight laich lines up on the wing and katie has a story about halpern and hendricks already with chemistry.

sjogren was reportedly offered contracts by several teams and it would suggest that he chose the caps with the idea that he would be playing in washington. his style and size would fit the apparant composition and style of the projected 3rd line wing options.

my projections were that laich would be the 3c and sjogren would play the wing to start, both 3rd and 4th. that makes the most sense to me, but we start with laich on the wing in a game you would think would be almost manditory to be at center if center was where they planned on using him to start the season.

this tells me he remains at 2LW and the 3C is somebody else.

Old
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Sjogren's agent said that he was confident Sjogren would be on the NHL team. I think Sjogren will have to play pretty poorly not to at least have a roster spot.

Old
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
txpd

@nbtw: this is a 23 year old player. by all appearances he had numerous nhl teams offering him contracts. it would at least seem on the surface that these teams were offering nhl jobs. i think under the circumstances its fair to look at this player as being in the same sort of situation as johansson was last season.

coming to the caps with the idea that he would play for the capitals. that playing in the ahl was a last resort.

Old
09-20-2011, 06:51 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
then the 3c would have to be one of perreault, sjogren or eakin.
Don't forget Potulny, Hanson, Aucoin, Bourque and Sloan.

Old
09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Funkyalligator

@txpd.....exactly right on sjogren...I view him along the same lines as mojo...he is a bit older and certainly more physically developed. Like I said before all that matters now is if he can face off in the NHL, I think GMGM isn't worried about anything else.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Ridley Simon

Sjogren

He seemed to play pretty well last night between Chimera and Ward. That may be the "4th" line.

1a: Ovi-Majo-Brouwer
1b: Laich-Backs-Semin
3a: Hendricks-Halpern-Knuble
3b: Chimera-Sjogren-Ward

In fact, I really like a Hendricks-Halpern-Knuble line. We could very easily roll these 4 lines, with the 3rd and 4th as truly interchangable, as well as the 1st and 2nd.

Really spreads the firepower around, and none of these lines can be "slept on" by the defense.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I suspect that the Caps didn't sign Ward to play fourth-line minutes, even were they to load him up with special teams roles. It is likely he plays a good deal more than Hendricks, all year. Granted, line combinations are usually fluid under Boudreau. Me, I'd be trying Ward in a lot of combinations on the right side in the top six. He'd be a complementary plugger and mucker with high-end skilled players.

Knuble is a player who could play on any forward line this year, as a function of his endurance/decline. Lots of swing potential there. It sounds as though he came to camp in great condition and raring to go. What's left in the tank as the season progresses will be interesting to see.

Offhand, it still looks to me as though the Caps are top-heavy on the right side if they continue to play Semin out of position over there. Much better balance if he's on the left. They added what I consider to be two right wingers in Brouwer and Ward this summer, subtracting one in Fehr. The argument used to be that two high-end left wingers made it challenging to find quality ice time for both of them, but it was bolstered by a certain thinness on the right. The former may still exist, but they've addressed the latter.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Maybe:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Ward
Semin - Johansson - Brouwer
Laich - Halpern - Knuble
Chimera - Sjogren - Hendricks

I could see any combination of Ward/Knuble/Brouwer on the right in the top nine tried in order to gauge chemistry. Either way, that's a really deep forward group.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Maybe:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Ward
Semin - Johansson - Brouwer
Laich - Halpern - Knuble
Chimera - Sjogren - Hendricks

I could see any combination of Ward/Knuble/Brouwer on the right in the top nine tried in order to gauge chemistry. Either way, that's a really deep forward group.
I'd like to see Semin and Backstrom together for a while, see what it does. The winger on that line wouldn't matter much (Ward, Laich, Knuble, Brouwer...heck, even Chimera). Same thing for Ovechkin and Johansson. Let them try and get some chemistry, and then find a winger for them.

Or just go crazy:

Ovechkin-Majo-Semin
Laich-Backstrom-Brouwer
Hendricks-Halpern-Ward
Chimera-Sjogren-Knuble

Lots and Lots of options. I'm not *thrilled* with our C's, but its a deeper more diverse group w Laich and Hendricks also able to play the dot. We have outstanding wingers.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think there will be experimentation, but I think a priority early on this season is to make sure the Caps get Backstrom going again, confident, producing. Maybe that happens with Semin, but I think I'd start him with his old linemate to get him going early. Once the team is clicking on all cylinders, I'd be experimenting with those top-six combinations a little bit more.

Looks for all the world like another Conference winner by April. Its potential to win in the post-season won't be answered until then. For the regular season, it should be a very fun team to watch. Uncertainties with the Pennsylvania teams ought to leave the conference wide open. No idea how to handicap the Cup champs during the regular-season grind.

Might be time for some conference predictions.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:23 AM
txpd

knuble's greatest asset has always been his ability to be that closer in the paint on a highly skilled line. yes he is good defensively and is a good penalty killer, but if you put him less skilled plyers like halpern, ward, laich etc the puck doesnt get to the paint where he shines.

also as much as it appears on the surface that knuble is similar to brouwer, ward, laich and so forth, his consistant ability to put numbers up proves that he's different. his first season in washington he had just about his best statistical season. between his broken jaw and the overall underperform of ovechkin and backstrom, he had a poor first half last season. his second half, however, was again right up there at his career best.

i dont see the point in messing with this guy.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I think there will be experimentation, but I think a priority early on this season is to make sure the Caps get Backstrom going again, confident, producing. Maybe that happens with Semin, but I think I'd start him with his old linemate to get him going early. Once the team is clicking on all cylinders, I'd be experimenting with those top-six combinations a little bit more.

Looks for all the world like another Conference winner by April. Its potential to win in the post-season won't be answered until then. For the regular season, it should be a very fun team to watch. Uncertainties with the Pennsylvania teams ought to leave the conference wide open. No idea how to handicap the Cup champs during the regular-season grind.

Might be time for some conference predictions.
Saw ESPN's today. They have us as team to beat in East, playoffs too (ugh).

My Standings Predictions:

Washington
Pittsburgh
Boston
Buffalo
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Montreal
New Jersey
Carolina
Toronto
NY Islanders
Florida
Winnipeg
Ottawa

for poops and giggles!

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 09-22-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarification -- those are my pics, not ESPN's
Old
09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Don't forget Potulny, Hanson, Aucoin, Bourque and Sloan.
Sloan?

Old
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Great, that's TWO major news outlets jinxing it. Even a leprechaun couldn't save the season at this point.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Seems like the 3rd line center is the spot that will settle a lot of the other lines.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
sk84fun_dc

TXPD - Just because Sjogren had other offers and chose to sign with the Caps doesn't guarantee him an NHL roster slot unless he earns the slot. Sure, I expect them to give him a solid opportunity to earn that roster spot, but nothing's guaranteed.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
knuble's greatest asset has always been his ability to be that closer in the paint on a highly skilled line. yes he is good defensively and is a good penalty killer, but if you put him less skilled plyers like halpern, ward, laich etc the puck doesnt get to the paint where he shines.

also as much as it appears on the surface that knuble is similar to brouwer, ward, laich and so forth, his consistant ability to put numbers up proves that he's different. his first season in washington he had just about his best statistical season. between his broken jaw and the overall underperform of ovechkin and backstrom, he had a poor first half last season. his second half, however, was again right up there at his career best.

i dont see the point in messing with this guy.
yes, but you rarely want to change anything Tex. Knuble can add grit and determination to some of the lower lines, and we could use more speed (Brouwer/Semin) to the top line. I think we need to really try and mix things up, and get more scoring from all lines. We cant be 2 line offensive team and do damage in the loffs.

Look at Boston....they roll deep lines, as did Vancouver before getting hurt

Old
09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
That assumes skilled players disciplined at getting pucks to the net and trying to create rebound situations. I don't think that's really been the case at even-strength much and one could argue a more consistent, determined, simple, North American sort of line would be better at just putting pucks at net and not trying to snipe high and wide from everywhere or overpass the puck.

I'd like to try:

Ovechkin - Johansson - Brouwer
Semin - Backstrom - Ward
Laich - Sjogren - Knuble
Hendricks - Halpern - Chimera

Swap Sjogren & Halpern if needed and Knuble & Ward if play warrants it. Maybe that slights what Laich & Knuble have produced the last few years but I'm really curious what Brouwer & Ward can bring offensively on a consistent basis. I think Ward brings more of a playmaking presence to the table compared to Knuble and is a bit better a forechecker. I'd look at working in the new guys as much as possible early on and if Laich/Knuble need to play higher in the lineup they can always go back to it. As always, I'm sure a flat period or two will lead to totally new lines regardless.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
txpd

sk8te: no, its not a guarantee. its an indication. these people dont come right out and say these things. in fact they tend to push back against them. but johansson going to hershey was never a realistic option and you could see it. same with sjogren for different reasons. my read is that he did not sign with the capitals with the understanding that it was a likely scenario that he would play primarily in the ahl. i could be wrong, but thats my read. laich playing wing already only supports that idea.

Rids: I do suggest change. Just not always the same drumbeat changes that often appear here. like taking Ovechkin off the point. Knuble's speed has never been the issue. It wasnt when he played with Thornton. It wasnt with the Flyers and hasnt been in Washington.
Yes, he would bring grit to whatever line he plays on. No more so than Ward or Laich or Brouwer. What he does bring is that ability to mesh with highly skilled players. If it was easier, Fehr would have succeded when Knuble was injured or Laich. Someone other than Clark might have made it work before Knuble arrived. I just dont think the eye is on the right skills when we look at Knuble.

Langway: Boudreau's nature is to move the players around. We will see them all over the place, particularly when injuries open up scenarios. I'll just suggest right now that Knuble scores more goals than any of Laich, Brouwer, and Ward.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:57 AM
sk84fun_dc

tx - Yes, we all read the tea leaves, plenty of players are offered multiple contracts, choose an org. and still end up in the minors, fact is it happens.

I'm not saying Sjogren is headed there yet, still open competition from what I have seen for those last spots... and he's definitely in the mix and is going to be given a solid chance and in that way has an advantage over some other guys.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
tx - Yes, we all read the tea leaves, plenty of players are offered multiple contracts, choose an org. and still end up in the minors, fact is it happens.

I'm not saying Sjogren is headed there yet, still open competition from what I have seen for those last spots... and he's definitely in the mix and is going to be given a solid chance and in that way has an advantage over some other guys.
A lot of these guys have their contract status against them. Speaking of which, what's Chris Bourque's contract status like? He looked solid even on the crap ice in Bmore and could be a dark horse.

Closed Thread