HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2011, 05:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkproducer View Post
I dont care if Ovi get 5 or 55 goals this year as long the team plays like it has the past few games.
Let's be honest...we all care.

Nobody will be happy with a 9 mil 30g scorer for long. The Cup will help for sure though...

Old
10-21-2011, 07:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I've always been a proponent of Ovechkin on the PK. If Bruce is going to keep him at 19 minutes a game, I say do it. He'll be a SH threat and I think it would be good for his game to play in a situation where his only focus is defense.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that he'd be great at it.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:16 PM
txpd

ov used to juice and lost his strenth when he stopped. thats silly. jjust watching players attempting to body check him bouncing off shows his strenth has not deminished.

his goal scoring. my theory is look at stamkos. ov and stammer scored in very similar ways. stammer's scoring dropped way off in the second half last season and i beleive both of them have 3 goals this season. its the defense.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:37 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
To my eyes AO looks good this season. What hasn't changed is just how much game planning the other teams are doing to stop AO. Main thing I'd like to see is when AO has the puck entering the Ozone and when he is getting back pressured to just chip the puck on the board past the dmen and try and go and get it.

10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I've always been a proponent of Ovechkin on the PK. If Bruce is going to keep him at 19 minutes a game, I say do it. He'll be a SH threat and I think it would be good for his game to play in a situation where his only focus is defense.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that he'd be great at it.
Really? His defensive awareness in the d-zone is bad. He's caught looking often and I imagine it will be back-door galore for the PP.

Let's worry about him being a 5-on-5 threat again.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:30 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Really? His defensive awareness in the d-zone is bad. He's caught looking often and I imagine it will be back-door galore for the PP.

Let's worry about him being a 5-on-5 threat again.
Is it time to trade AO?

Old
10-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

He's coming around, I think some people just need something to worry about even if the team is undefeated so far. Yes he frustrates me compared to old ovie, but teams are still double and triple teaming him when they can.. He is human after all his old tactics don't work often at all. Lets worry about Ovie in December if nothings changed. I think he's trying too hard and missing nets/shanking shots on net, he's not used to what happened to him last season.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Is it time to trade AO?
Am I being lumped into the doom crew now?

Old
10-22-2011, 12:26 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There is no such thing. Everyone is entitled to their fair opinion. I'm just curious to your as to your negative opinion as it concerns to AO. Normally any criticism to that level would naturally lead to a plan of action. IMO, criticism in the singular sense, for just the sake of, is hard to take serious in true debate. I'd rather a true debate with hard crticism and opinions as to what one would see changed.

Old
10-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
There is no such thing. Everyone is entitled to their fair opinion. I'm just curious to your as to your negative opinion as it concerns to AO. Normally any criticism to that level would naturally lead to a plan of action. IMO, criticism in the singular sense, for just the sake of, is hard to take serious in true debate. I'd rather a true debate with hard crticism and opinions as to what one would see changed.
Criticism to that level? Its the truth. To paraphrase I don't think its a good idea to be entertaining the idea of OV on the PK, b/c he has poor defensive awareness. He has bigger concerns; like not flubbing shots, fumbling the puck, and getting shots on net. Either way, the PK's been fine without him. Its very valid and it shouldn't be misconstrued as saying I want him traded.

Old
10-22-2011, 01:57 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Criticism to that level? Its the truth. To paraphrase I don't think its a good idea to be entertaining the idea of OV on the PK, b/c he has poor defensive awareness. He has bigger concerns; like not flubbing shots, fumbling the puck, and getting shots on net. Either way, the PK's been fine without him. Its very valid and it shouldn't be misconstrued as saying I want him traded.
So, in a statistical sense, how could AO change your opinion on the bolded. I want to know AO's concerns here.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
So, in a statistical sense, how could AO change your opinion on the bolded. I want to know AO's concerns here.
Statistical sense? That's a narrow minded way at looking at it. He can change my opinion by getting shots through, handling the puck better, and making better decisions with the puck. To be fair though, I think he's hurting. The past few games there were instances of him taking his glove off and favoring his thumb.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:27 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Statistical sense? That's a narrow minded way at looking at it. He can change my opinion by getting shots through, handling the puck better, and making better decisions with the puck. To be fair though, I think he's hurting. The past few games there were instances of him taking his glove off and favoring his thumb.
Have you watched AO since his rookie year? The bolded was mosdef part of the early years despite the crazy scoring. I am curious as to that 65 goal year AO was doing the bolded and still got those stats. That is why I ask what it would take statistically for AO to gain your approval. I'm totally curious.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:33 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Lately you've been on par with EroCaps imo

Old
10-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Have you watched AO since his rookie year? The bolded was mosdef part of the early years despite the crazy scoring. I am curious as to that 65 goal year AO was doing the bolded and still got those stats. That is why I ask what it would take statistically for AO to gain your approval. I'm totally curious.
Last year and early on this year its been more of an issue. He hasn't shot into so many defenders' shins, flubbed as many shots, and lost control of the puck this much as he did in his 50+ goal years.

Honestly, for being the highest paid player in the league. Shouldn't the expectation be to live up that or at least close to it? A year like last, wouldn't be acceptable. For me a 40-45 goal 90+ point year is passable, mostly because my expectations are lowered.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:51 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Last year and early on this year its been more of an issue. He hasn't shot into so many defenders' shins, flubbed as many shots, and lost control of the puck this much as he did in his 50+ goal years.

Honestly, for being the highest paid player in the league. Shouldn't the expectation be to live up that or at least close to it? A year like last, wouldn't be acceptable. For me a 40-45 goal 90+ point year is passable, mostly because my expectations are lowered.
Thank you for coming to the table with that. This being a good forum for debate many would duck a challenge so thank you for representing yourself.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:52 AM
EHCler

If the Caps keep the team together I expect following moves.

Wideman Voukon and Knuble to leave come end of the season and create Cap Room of 7,5 Mio.

and replaced by our current goalies and Kutz and Orlov.
That leaves 4,0 Mio. Cap Room

Green I expect 4 year deal around 6,5 Mio (2,25 Mio, Cap room left)
Semin another one year deal at 6,7 Mio (no change)
Carlson 3 year deal at 3 Mio (0,5 Cap room left)

This money used to keep Halpern and Perreault.

Old
10-22-2011, 05:52 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post

Wideman Voukon and Knuble to leave come end of the season and create Cap Room of 7,5 Mio.

If the Caps want to keep Perreult, they have to find some room for him.
He will be a UFA at season end and is proving that he can play in the NHL.

If the Caps do not, some other teams will take notice and to boot he is on the cheap side.

Old
10-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Perreault will be RFA after the season. He'll be arbitration-eligible and potentially too pricey as a soft minute depth forward if he thrives in such a role but he's under team control for up to three more seasons.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
call me sentimental but they should keep vokoun at whatever he wants if he brings us a cup. i like holtby and neuvirth is solid, but if vokouns the difference...maybe replace semins salary with kusnetzov. who knows. sorta silly to think about but if vokoun isnt a passenger in winning a cup, id be pissed to see him sign elsewhere.

if wides keeps his play up, hes going to get a TON on the open market, way more than we can afford with other big salaries to worry about.

then again, idk if its just me but im in favor of rewarding whoever shows up in the playoffs. they sort of did that with ward who was key in nashville finally winning a series. if green stinks while wides brings offense and helps shut down the opposition, hell, id re-up him and do something with green...

Old
10-22-2011, 09:25 AM
CapitalJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ov used to juice and lost his strenth when he stopped. thats silly. jjust watching players attempting to body check him bouncing off shows his strenth has not deminished.

his goal scoring. my theory is look at stamkos. ov and stammer scored in very similar ways. stammer's scoring dropped way off in the second half last season and i beleive both of them have 3 goals this season. its the defense.
I dont think its that silly. Ovi obviously has an amazing genetic base to start with so if he did juice and then cycled off his decline in strength would still leave him much stronger and more athletic than most...even in the NHL. Additionally, the juice aint just about strength, there are huge psychological boosts that athletes gain while on them and that could also partially explain the loss of umph.That being said, I dont know if steroids is what it is or not, probably unlikely but a thought none-the-less.

I do like your theory using stamkos as an example. I think usually the simplest answer is the best.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:34 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Perreault will be RFA after the season. He'll be arbitration-eligible and potentially too pricey as a soft minute depth forward if he thrives in such a role but he's under team control for up to three more seasons.
Right you are!

But being arbitration eligible means that any team can throw an offer to his agent.
TB have hired a lot of French Canadian players in the last while, the most recent example being Marc-Andre Bergeron.
I would think that they would be interested.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post

I think we may end up going down that road. But I feel like it will take the team a step back or two. I would much rather the team trade Green. We could get a young top six and top four defender. Keeping the pipeline full. For the first time in a while I feel the team has some balance. And keeping both Green and Semin will put us back into the top heavy lineup we are just getting away from. You can see the difference in the team when you add a few blue collar players.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

I think the expectation should be for him to be the leader of the team, as captain. For all his struggles last year, he was still 7th in the league in points. I'll take a guy that's 7th in the NHL in points in, by far, the worst season of his career.

I think you should heed your handle and appreciate everything he's done for the franchise and cut him some slack. You'll enjoy watching this terrific team that much more, if you're not harping on every negative thing the heart of the franchise does. There's a chance the Caps wouldn't be in Washington anymore if they hadn't won the lottery that year, and were stuck with Cam Barker over Alex Ovechkin.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think the expectation should be for him to be the leader of the team, as captain. For all his struggles last year, he was still 7th in the league in points. I'll take a guy that's 7th in the NHL in points in, by far, the worst season of his career.

I think you should heed your handle and appreciate everything he's done for the franchise and cut him some slack. You'll enjoy watching this terrific team that much more, if you're not harping on every negative thing the heart of the franchise does. There's a chance the Caps wouldn't be in Washington anymore if they hadn't won the lottery that year, and were stuck with Cam Barker over Alex Ovechkin.

This. If youve ever played the game you would know taking your eyes off the puck while its on your stick is not an easy task.Then add on the fact that ovechkin has this huge target on his back as far as guys wanting to hit him. I think ovi personaly got this team out of the basement as well as putting butts in the seats. Hes trained hard in the offseason,looks to be faster and hasnt lost his hitting...tho the league imo is still trying to force him to play nicer hince the interference on talbot in the philly game. Hes opening up space for the rest of the team. For instance again the philly game we saw mojo skate against pronger several times and drew penalties because of his speed. I dont think philly considers pronger to be a shutdown guy that needs to stop the caps best player however hes still a great player but what I mean is he must still be accounted for on every shift making it a bit easier for 2nd and 3rd liners to get some room to work.

Closed Thread