HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
BPMrules

vCash: 500
I'm gonna go ahead and say this, in hopes that I'm wrong, but in my gut I feel I'm not.
1. We don't see Green until after Thanksgiving
2. Brouwer misses at least 4 games.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
BPMrules

Sadly, I hope neither of these are true, but my gut tells me different...
1. Green stays out til after Thanksgiving

Old
11-02-2011, 06:03 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
Sadly, I hope neither of these are true, but my gut tells me different...
1. Green stays out til after Thanksgiving
According to the various beat writers/bloggers, Green has already been skating again on his ankle and Brouwer is scheduled to play Friday.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
Why is there not more love for Neuvirth? The kid has what it takes.

If he doesn't come into that Canucks game and let in 4 goals or if the Capitals were able to complete the comeback, I am sure he would be getting more credit.

It is funny how people will all of a sudden dislike a goalie after 1 loss.
So apparently you haven't realize that you've come to the land of 'what a young player is now is all he will ever be...'

A number of posters around here, and oddly enough very respected ones also, don't feel players improve over time. So a 21 year old Johansson will always only be a borderline 3rd/2nd liner and a 23 year old Neuvirth will always only be an average goaltender even though statistically he was already at least that last season.

Nothing like topping out in your early 20's eh...?

Old
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Swimmer you're just as biased as I am, but I didn't post a giant irrelevant post about him. It doesn't matter how he used to play, only how he IS playing which is why I asked.

And by consensus many don't think he's a top-4 dman on the Caps. The point of this was to see WHY and HOW.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Millhaus

He's fine, but they are asking him to do more than I feel they should be and chemistry with anyone but Green has been hard to come by so far.

Finding a role that cuts a few minutes off his average ice time will help now as well as reduce the wear and tear over the season. And developing chemistry after 4 seasons in another organization can take time.

Already I feel his high panic threshold with the puck and ability to make a nice pass out of the zone has gone a long way towards helping the Caps come out of their zone under control. He makes the team better already IMO and I feel his play will improve as he adjust to new teammates and a new system.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
To me he's playing like a guy who isn't quite comfortable with his new team yet.
This. Hannan played like crap during our losing streak after he came over last year, but improved his play as the season went on (until breaking down in the Tampa series). I suspect a similar trajectory for Hamrlik.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
This. Hannan played like crap during our losing streak after he came over last year, but improved his play as the season went on (until breaking down in the Tampa series). I suspect a similar trajectory for Hamrlik.
Minus the playoff breakdown of course

Old
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
He's fine, but they are asking him to do more than I feel they should be and chemistry with anyone but Green has been hard to come by so far.

Finding a role that cuts a few minutes off his average ice time will help now as well as reduce the wear and tear over the season. And developing chemistry after 4 seasons in another organization can take time.

Already I feel his high panic threshold with the puck and ability to make a nice pass out of the zone has gone a long way towards helping the Caps come out of their zone under control. He makes the team better already IMO and I feel his play will improve as he adjust to new teammates and a new system.
This sums out how I feel about Hamrlik so far. I

Old
11-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I didn't think we'd see him do as much chasing in the defensive zone. He does a decent job getting into shooting lanes, but other than that, his positioning has left a lot to be desired. He doesn't have the foot speed to make up for it, so he grabs, hooks, trips, etc. to prevent scoring chances.

His offensive game might even be more disappointing. 1 point in 10 games, while playing mostly with green and Wideman. He's shown next to no creativity passing the puck, and seems hesitant to let his shot go.

Overall, not impressed. I thought he'd be solid and steady defensively and make some offensive contribution. He's done neither.
This. Hammer is prone to committing stupid turnovers in the defensive zone, and frequently loses the puck in his skates.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
I like that we finally have an all situation LD. Sure he is not perfect, but he can do a little bit of everything, and blocks a bunch of shots. But this town seems to struggle to overlook a dmans dzone errors even though they contribute in other ways.

Wideman last night, puck gets caught up on the boards, a miscomm or blunder. Who cares, he scores a goal later. George knows you need dmen that can bring offense in the modern game, and we have been lacking that at LD for years. Sarge is still working on bringing the thunder in his own zone.

I like the Hammer so far. I want to see him paired with Carlson a few more games. He had a great cover for him last night.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Capsman

Quote:
So apparently you haven't realize that you've come to the land of 'what a young player is now is all he will ever be...'

A number of posters around here, and oddly enough very respected ones also, don't feel players improve over time. So a 21 year old Johansson will always only be a borderline 3rd/2nd liner and a 23 year old Neuvirth will always only be an average goaltender even though statistically he was already at least that last season.

C'mon man, don't you know Tim Thomas was dominant in his early 20's?

Old
11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
If a guy hasnt peaked in his early 20's it wont be much longer. The ladies have us beat on that one.

Thoughts on the Varly Neuvy battle are largely unchanged, but seeing Neuvy lose 4 straight in the playoffs and injured himself this year certainly doesnt help his cause in what is now an otherwise obsolete discussion.

Now - Run to the mirror in the bathroom and look.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I like Eakin, but would have no problem moving him in the right deal. Now, is Turris the right deal? I don't think so.

I'd rather move him in a deal for a player that helps the Caps win a Cup this season or next.

Now Doan would certainly be that type of player, but I doubt he wants to move. And I doubt GMGM would be able to move enough salary back to make it work for the Cap. Schultz + Hamrlik would be enough cap space, but then you're left with no defensive depth. Schultz + Knuble also works.
Why can't he help this season? Just because he's young? He was pretty damn impressive against the Wings last year. Johansson is young too.

Veterans aren't all exactly home run rentals either. I can't think of a single deadline vet pickup we've had aside from Fedorov and to a lesser extent Huet that was worth it. With Turris we at least get something for the longer term.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I don't really expect Ovechkin to score 66, Green to score 32 or or Semin to top 84 for the rest of their careers. But you're right. It's really farfetched that anyone could peak by 25.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Carlzner

Schultz for Turris would be the steal of the century.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Carlzner

That being said, i wouldn't want to give up Eakin or MP for him.
Really like these two players... while obviously not top line players, they have great energy and heart... do we even need a guy like Turris right now...?

Old
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
According to the various beat writers/bloggers, Green has already been skating again on his ankle and Brouwer is scheduled to play Friday.
He was skating a retweeked it or whatever. Odds are we will be lucky to see him in 1 of the 2 games this weekend. No need for him to rush, the team is alright without him but they are certainly missing his presence on the blue line and PP

Old
11-03-2011, 12:13 AM
BPMrules

Quote:
this is true, but Green coming off the ice after skating for 10 minutes isn't a good sign. also, Brouwer may be taking a couple maintenance days, but it also isn't unlikely for him to miss a week or so, if it doesn't feel 100%. it is only Movember, after all.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:17 AM
LandofLincoln

Troy Brouwer so far

leading the league in hits and 5PTS 2G 3A after 10 games was he worth the 1st round pick?

Can he be a top 6?

Old
11-03-2011, 12:31 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Worth it to every team? No. Worth it to the Caps? Yes!!

Old
11-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

he is playing first line at the moment and i think has looked very solid there. so yes, top 6.
he brings to the line the quick simple plays and dishes that are important, similar to the ones that Knuble has done on top lines for years.

this is really his 4th proper season in the league and often a time where players start to show their true colours about how their next 10 years will be.

this team needs to win now and in the next couple years, a late first round pick will probably not help in that department. Brouwer has shown to be a solid playoff performer and has hit the ground running, despite playing in a new team, with completely different style players to what he has played with before.

He brings the grittyness of the whole team up a notch and the talent cascades down to the 3rd and 4th line as a result of him being a young hitting presence on the top line.

i can only suggest that the trade was most defiinitely worthwhile and a valuable addition to this team that will only shine brighter once the real stuff starts.
Caps need to start winning big, he helps us do that now.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

it also looks he is trying hard to impress his new teammates and has on occasion clutched a bit hard on the stick or shot early when he has had more time and the better option would have been to make sure of the shot.

Thats understandable, the guy LOOKS like he cares and wants to do well.

Does anyone know much about his character?
Same with Ward? i dont really know much about the kind of person they are (intense/relaxed/works extremely hard off the ice/all that jazz)

Old
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Both of them get a good deal more intense, and play more up tempo, when the playoffs begin. That was in large part the reason that McPhee picked them up.

Brouwer has been great in his assigned role: Complementing the other two high-scoring first liners, adding some grit and board work. Ovechkin is at 1 ppg, Backstrom nearly 1.5 ppg.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

He hits stuff and screens the goalie, so I'm happy with that. If his production doesn't increase, I'd say return to Knuble on the top line, but I'd give him a few more games before doing that. Keep him on PP1, though.

Closed Thread