HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't really expect Ovechkin to score 66, Green to score 32 or or Semin to top 84 for the rest of their careers. But you're right. It's really farfetched that anyone could peak by 25.
I guess we will have to revisit this in 10-12 years then?

And if point production regardless of position is the bell weather for this argument then on those 3 I might concede, though I don't think many would agree that fewer points equals an inferior player or that the reason for their production decline is simply a matter of age.

IMO in general a defenseman reaches his peak in his early 30s. He might put up more points in his early 20's but his overall game is at it's best much later. Goaltenders and forwards are similar though they peak a little earlier.

I expect Neuvirth's and Johansson's games to peak in around 7 years. For you they peaked last season...

Old
11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
i think he was more or less brought in to help the caps get gritty goals and better forecheck pressure in the playoffs. has some experience, a cup ring, physical. given that hes leading the league in hits and i dont even consider that he's come close to his peak of physicality, im optimistic about what he'll bring over the next 6-8 months. hes doing a lot of thankless work in front of the net and that will likely translate to more points as well if he keeps it up.

if nicky and ovi each top 90, getting production on the scoresheet from brouwer is somewhat of a luxury and would certainly give the caps one of the best top lines on paper.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
i think he was more or less brought in to help the caps get gritty goals and better forecheck pressure in the playoffs. has some experience, a cup ring, physical. given that hes leading the league in hits and i dont even consider that he's come close to his peak of physicality, im optimistic about what he'll bring over the next 6-8 months. hes doing a lot of thankless work in front of the net and that will likely translate to more points as well if he keeps it up.

if nicky and ovi each top 90, getting production on the scoresheet from brouwer is somewhat of a luxury and would certainly give the caps one of the best top lines on paper.
That's one of the things that stands out to me too. I was pretty surprised to find out he's leading the league in hits since it looks like if he wanted to, he could have twice as many per game. I'm excited to see what he can do in the playoffs if he goes full bore. I'd love to see what kind of punishment he can dole out to opposing defensemen over the course of a series.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:49 AM
bonzilla

2011-2012.......GP G A P + PIM PP SH GW S
Regular Season 11 3 5 8 8 27 1 1 1 29

Souray having a very nice start with the Stars..maybe we shoulda @ $1.65?

Old
11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Why can't he help this season? Just because he's young? He was pretty damn impressive against the Wings last year. Johansson is young too.

Veterans aren't all exactly home run rentals either. I can't think of a single deadline vet pickup we've had aside from Fedorov and to a lesser extent Huet that was worth it. With Turris we at least get something for the longer term.
He's got approximately a 4 game sample size of playing well. It would be foolish to go after him as someone to contribute this year.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
did he play every game on the first line ?
5points seems a bit low.

Old
11-03-2011, 12:51 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I watch a lot of Phoenix games and I think Ray Whitney would be unreal playing with Ovy. I dont' think there's a better puck possession/stick handler in the game...honestly. The guy is ridiculous..he'd really open up a lot of room for Ovy and backy..and hes a UFA at year's end.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
5points seems a bit low.
He was on the 2nd line for the opening game, then they swapped him with Knuble.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I watch a lot of Phoenix games and I think Ray Whitney would be unreal playing with Ovy. I dont' think there's a better puck possession/stick handler in the game...honestly. The guy is ridiculous..he'd really open up a lot of room for Ovy and backy..and hes a UFA at year's end.
He'll also be 40 at the start of next year. He's averaging almost 18 min/game this year. It will be very interesting to see how well he handles that many minutes at his age.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
5points seems a bit low.
he doesnt get a point on those point shots where hes blinding the goalie...

Old
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
LandofLincoln

character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
it also looks he is trying hard to impress his new teammates and has on occasion clutched a bit hard on the stick or shot early when he has had more time and the better option would have been to make sure of the shot.

Thats understandable, the guy LOOKS like he cares and wants to do well.

Does anyone know much about his character?
Same with Ward? i dont really know much about the kind of person they are (intense/relaxed/works extremely hard off the ice/all that jazz)
I don't know about his off ice character, but his on ice character is good. He leads the league in hits but is not a fighter or instigator. I would put his fighting skills at a 6or 6.5 on a 1-10 scale. Against guys his size he easily wins.

I'm from the Chicago boards so I watched him a few seasons. I haven't watched him in a Cap's uniform yet. I looked at his numbers because I was hoping they were good, and they are good. He was a guy that was liked in the locker room and fans liked.

I remember him skating on Kane's line and Kane got descimated, and I don't remember by who I think it was St. Louis (Blues game) and Brouwer took on somebody knowing he was outweighed by 20lbs and not going to win the fight. I liked him before that, but that to me was when I respected his character starting a fight on principle knowing he would not win.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
LandofLincoln

disagree

Quote:
5points seems a bit low.
5 points after 10 games is normal. 16-20 goals is what you can expect.

I think 40-50 PTS not over 50 points.

Remember front office signed him at 2.35m a year. So don't be greedy. He is playing and worth his contract. a top 6 guy for 2.35 is good

His productivity is stuff that does not show up on stat sheets. League leader in Hits this year!

Old
11-03-2011, 04:12 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
leading the league in hits and 5PTS 2G 3A after 10 games was he worth the 1st round pick?

Can he be a top 6?
To me he is worth a 1st round and I consider that a steal. He is just getting started and I like how he isn't afraid to go into punishing spots and act as a screener. My only disappointment with him is I expected more goals being on the top line, but that really isn't his job. I'll take the hits and toughness over goals.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

practice lines per whyno

ovi-19-semin
mojo-MP-eakin
beast line
hendy-halp-n00b

ehhh

Old
11-03-2011, 04:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

That 2nd line is going to get flattened.

Though I guess Carolina is as soft of a team as we face.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

2nd line will at least be fast...

Old
11-03-2011, 05:34 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
To me he is worth a 1st round and I consider that a steal. He is just getting started and I like how he isn't afraid to go into punishing spots and act as a screener. My only disappointment with him is I expected more goals being on the top line, but that really isn't his job. I'll take the hits and toughness over goals.
He's also definitely created some goals with his screening that don't show up on the scoresheet

Old
11-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
practice lines per whyno

ovi-19-semin
mojo-MP-eakin
beast line
hendy-halp-n00b

ehhh
Knubble needs to be on that second or first line Not to crazy about the ratio of Skill to grit. However it would probably be smart long term to sit Brouwer for this weekends back to back.

Old
11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

i like it. Its a skating league now. If teams are unwilling to hit, throw a speed line at them and see how it goes. Bruce would almost be neglect in his duties if he didn't try a uber speed line at some point this year. Get them out against a pylon.

Bruce appears to be on a mission this year.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-04-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old
11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
um

Quote:
practice lines per whyno

ovi-19-semin
mojo-MP-eakin
beast line
hendy-halp-n00b

ehhh
that 2nd line is our 3rd line and our 3rd is our 2nd line now

Old
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
2011-2012.......GP G A P + PIM PP SH GW S
Regular Season 11 3 5 8 8 27 1 1 1 29

Souray having a very nice start with the Stars..maybe we shoulda @ $1.65?
Not that I mind the Hammer signing....but Souray would have been a beast. I was skoffed at when I suggested it....nice to see he's still got it. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Is he injured?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:28 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Is he injured?
He left the last game late after hurting his shoulder (the one he had had surgery on), but they say there is no serious damage. Sounds like he gets 1 game off then right back into the lineup on Saturday, but I don't know if that's totally decided yet.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Capitlols

Let me preface by saying I like Mojo as 2nd line C, but I wish we could pry Weiss from Tallon.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

We weren't in a position to be gambling on reclamation projects like Souray. Didn't have the cap or roster space for it. Nor would Souray have been as good of a fit next to Green, which is seemingly a big part of why McPhee chose Hamrlik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
i like it. Its a skating league now. If teams are unwilling to hit, throw a line speed at them and see how it goes. Bruce would almost be neglect in his duties if he didn't try a uber speed line at some point this year. Get them out against a pylon.

Bruce appears to be on a mission this year.
Carolina doesn't have a lot of pylons on their blueline, though. Their blueline is pretty mobile. Suppose we can try and match them up against Harrison.

Closed Thread