HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Capsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
i just dont buy that as bad luck.....they just kept doing the same thing and hoping it would eventually go in.

again, bad luck is some crazy bounce off the glass or whatever. When their goalie outplays your goalie....its not bad luck. When they get in your face and make a point to block shot after shot, its not bad luck....when you give away game 1 at home to an 8 seed, its not bad luck....when you sign Knuble but give Fleischmann prime PP time....its not bad luck
When you throw out our top line right after scoring the go-ahead goal with under 5 min left, that is not luck. When the PP regularly goes through long 0-... streaks because the puck movement stinks and the shots are not synchronized with the screens, that is not luck. When we go through long stretches of one guy trying to carry the puck up ice along the boards all by himself then getting pinned to the boards and subsequently coughing it up, that is not bad luck. When we regularly have trouble connecting on passes out of our defensive zone, that is not luck.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If we want to talk about being "unlucky" in any of the playoff losses, Montreal is not the one to point at, but rather Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh regularly outplayed us that series. Yeah there was some bad luck but they were clearly the better team. They consistently had us pinned in, a familiar scenario that we still see with Green, Carlson, and Wideman on the team.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Crows*

Question caps fans..

when is Green expected back and what do you expect from him point wise this year?

I have an offer in a pool... The guy wants Pacioretty and would send me green.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:13 PM
txpd

pacioretty for green and you are asking questions? dude.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So it's early, but it doesn't look like Semin is responding well to the "new Boudreau" system. I hate to bump this idea, but is it time to shop him for a real 2C (one who can score, play d, AND win draws) and move Johansson to wing?
I think it's Boudreau's stubborn refusal to try him at defense (even trying Laich over him despite Semin being a natural fit for it) that's messing him up so badly. Seriously, they might as well just waive him if they're gonna waste him like that.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Question caps fans..

when is Green expected back and what do you expect from him point wise this year?

Use the fantasy thread.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Question caps fans..

Who this....Green you speak of? I never hear of him. He no member of our team.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:19 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Who this....Green you speak of? I never hear of him. He no member of our team.
Andy Greene?

Old
11-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Paxton Fettel

Boudreau needs to go. Using his players as he is, the team should let both Alexes go. They are useless. Just a waste.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:23 AM
IafrateOvie34

This team needs leadership other than just a coaching change. The defense needs someone to step up. The same can be said with the forwards. This is where Arnott and Hannan were valuable. I'm not saying we should have kept those particular players, but we need a similar player that can step up and say "listen to me, I've won the Stanley cup and know what it takes to win". Right now, we're looking to just having Knuble and Brouwer as the only guys that have won the Cup. Knuble has been vocal and I imagine Brouwer will be more vocal. As for coaching, that is a dead subject and most agree, including myself that BB shouldn't have remained.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
The person that has to lead our team as currently constructed, is Ovi. But I just don't see him leading our team right now, Ovi seems in a funk. So it falls on Bruce to correct it, and find a lead. But his system doesnt seem to work without Green, and stuck behind the bench, he can only lead so much. With Ovi quietly scoring all his goals on the road, we just seem like we lack an identity of late. I dunno, it may be just me, but even if we eeked out a 1-0 win in Nashville, it wouldn't change what I see. A highly skilled team that lacks an identity.

Us caps fans can quickly dismiss him calling him a fat ass, nipping it in the bud from a discussion perspective, but in the end, it may be quite telling about what's wrong with this team. When is the last time you saw a top of his profession athlete do something like that.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Boudreau needs to go. Using his players as he is, the team should let both Alexes go. They are useless. Just a waste.
Start the rebuild.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
When is the last time you saw a top of his profession athlete do something like that.
do something like what?

Old
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The person that has to lead our team as currently constructed, is Ovi. But I just don't see him leading our team right now, Ovi seems in a funk. So it falls on Bruce to correct it, and find a lead. But his system doesnt seem to work without Green, and stuck behind the bench, he can only lead so much. With Ovi quietly scoring all his goals on the road, we just seem like we lack an identity of late. I dunno, it may be just me, but even if we eeked out a 1-0 win in Nashville, it wouldn't change what I see. A highly skilled team that lacks an identity.

Us caps fans can quickly dismiss him calling him a fat ass, nipping it in the bud from a discussion perspective, but in the end, it may be quite telling about what's wrong with this team. When is the last time you saw a top of his profession athlete do something like that.
You mean Ovie struggling? I thought Alan May said it perfectly. The league has figured him out. Defenders are positioning their sticks better and they are quicker to bring a second defender knowing that we are not a very good passing team. Our zone entries are pretty predictable. The one time last game I remember seeing them attempt guys crossing over they were offsides (I think it was MJ but I don't remember the other guy). Ovie has a world of talent, but he's not going to regain his "form" from within. It will take a team effort and team cohesion.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
txpd

if this is about ov struggling...have you seen eric staal's stats line lately? iirc ov's stats like looked very much like this or worse at this point in 08-09.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:13 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Ovechkin had 8 goals and 14 assists through 16 games in 2008. This stuff isn't hard to look up.

He did have a rough first ten games, but then heated up and never looked back.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:02 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

People want the coach/players to grow but can't handle the regular season pains for such development.

The league "figuring" ovi out has been there for a long while. His patented move has expired. He's now pulling up and looking for the cross-ice pass here and there. But that's from a stationary position. As someone else mentioned, they need more teamwork approach. It shouldn't be hard. There's tons of film on how teams defend Ovi and who is left open and where. Run some "scout" team practices vs that top line and get them so work on a variety of new attacks. Once that gets going... the patented move will be there again.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
txpd

yea...thats what i meant. 8 goals then. 7 goals now. the assists depend very often on other people and we are really taking about his goal scoring anyway. he had 50+ in 08-09.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
yea...thats what i meant. 8 goals then. 7 goals now. the assists depend very often on other people and we are really taking about his goal scoring anyway. he had 50+ in 08-09.
And last year? Does that example of a not so great year from start to finish count? Incidentally, I don't put Staal in the same category. Assists do count for something because in Ovie's case they often came off shots on goal, which have decreased in both number and efficacy.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if this is about ov struggling...have you seen eric staal's stats line lately? iirc ov's stats like looked very much like this or worse at this point in 08-09.
Eric Staal is the most overrated player in the league. He shouldn't be compared to Ovechkin at all ever.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Andy Greene?
No relation.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:08 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
You mean Ovie struggling? ....
Know that I value playoff performances maybe even 10 fold over the regular season in much fewer games. I think Ovi did fine last playoffs, despite being figured out. 5+5 in 9, he held his own. Its just, he went it alone. He needs to be a part of greater team play on offense, which starts on D.

You touched on it in your post, it's our zone entry, which is directly tied to our zone exit. I am starting to think its Bruce's final challenge which may decide his fate.

Yeah sure expecting a detroit grade breakout probably isnt happening, so its back to basics. Simplicity. Ovi needs someone besides him to carry the puck into the offensive zone. Nick is quietly maturing in his shadow, and I think the onus is on Bruce to get the puck to Nick. If the puck doesn't go through your best passer, you have to set a lower expectation bar on team offense. It's not rocket science. Have Ovi move to open passing lanes, and Nick WILL get the puck there. I am stunned at how infrequently we try what should be their go to play. What is their go to play?

And I really think it can only help Ovi's game in the long haul to keep plugging away on right wing, puck protected along the boards. At RW, Nick is on his left, both driving the net on their forehands, not having to cut to turn to make a pass, which allows far too much time for the goalie to slide. Lets make passing easier for him, and easier for Nick to catch it. Ovi largely shuns or has a quiet backhand, which really limits what he does on LW.

Our top line seems like they have far too little consistency, chemistry, go to set plays, relative to our skill level and his time spent with Nick. The time has passed to win a cup gaining the zone with the puck on Ovi's twig on LW, as our go to play.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old
11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

FYI, just now from Capgeek via twitter:

Our estimates now include approximate bonus overages from 2010-11 for #Capitals ($350,000), #NJDevils ($400,000) and #NHLHabs ($150,000).

Old
11-17-2011, 02:04 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
FYI, just now from Capgeek via twitter:

Our estimates now include approximate bonus overages from 2010-11 for #Capitals ($350,000), #NJDevils ($400,000) and #NHLHabs ($150,000).
WSH already had very limited flexibility to make additions or even changes before the TDL. This all goes back to GMGM's new outlook:

Quote:
Capitals general manager George McPhee said he felt he didn't fill all the holes last summer, forcing him to make deals at the trade deadline. This year, he's confident he already has the roster that could take the ice in the playoffs next April.

"I wanted to have that feeling this summer where everything's done," McPhee said. "We can go with this team right now. We don't have to touch a thing all season. We could go the whole season with this group."
IMO, GMGM should have held held back on signing Hamrlik. Its like he forgot about the whole Nylander fiasco. McPhee already had the Varlamov deal in the pipeline before July 1. That deal had given him the currency to buy players during the season in the trade market, including for the blueline.

In attempting to avoid the perceived shackles of the intra-season trade market, McPhee put the team right up against the cap from the get go. And so now, he is a slave to the whims of his player personnel.

11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

We have Hamirlik to block shots in the playoffs. I will only consider this a bad signing if he doesn't provide that presence in the post-season.

Closed Thread