HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The person that has to lead our team as currently constructed, is Ovi. But I just don't see him leading our team right now, Ovi seems in a funk. So it falls on Bruce to correct it, and find a lead. But his system doesnt seem to work without Green, and stuck behind the bench, he can only lead so much. With Ovi quietly scoring all his goals on the road, we just seem like we lack an identity of late. I dunno, it may be just me, but even if we eeked out a 1-0 win in Nashville, it wouldn't change what I see. A highly skilled team that lacks an identity.

Us caps fans can quickly dismiss him calling him a fat ass, nipping it in the bud from a discussion perspective, but in the end, it may be quite telling about what's wrong with this team. When is the last time you saw a top of his profession athlete do something like that.
I don't think Ovy is in a funk personally. I think he is doing his regular stuff like hitting and getting chances. His issue is teams have focused primarily on him and know his moves. Sure, his defensive game sucks, but he has done pretty good overall. Would I like to see a plus 50 goal season, sure I would and it isn't too late. I think a lot of fans were spoiled after his first few years in the NHL that he would score 50 plus every year. He is just one of those players that can break out any moment and for sure not give up on. It seems some fans are ready to abandon him though, sadly.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I blame Gillette for OVs funk. He needs to get back to his earlier scruffy faced appearance.

11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I blame Gillette for OVs funk. He needs to get back to his earlier scruffy faced appearance.
I typed the same thing during the Nashville GDT.

Old
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
You have a point. Superstition in hockey is everything.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:59 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Whichever scout recommended hammer should be fired. I've given him enough games. Horrid.

Sarge plus hammer 7M of waste...

Old
11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Whichever scout recommended hammer should be fired. I've given him enough games. Horrid.

Sarge plus hammer 7M of waste...
Is Sarge Semin?

Anyways...
Semin + Schultz + Hamrlik for Suter??

Old
11-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Is Sarge Semin?

Anyways...
Semin + Schultz + Hamrlik for Suter??

I'd say Suter is a better waste of 13 million than those 3.

Not like Nashville is gonna sign him before FA. Trade Schultz for a muffin, let Semin walk, package Hamrlik with a 3rd and some expendable prospect for a minor leaguer. Throw Suter 7.5 for life. Or pull a lou and give him a 6.5 average until he's 40 and then a league max season when he's 40 since that has its own separate cap hit. 14 years of underpaid Suter with 2 crappy buyout years far far in the future in exchange. Put him with Green, Orlov with Carlson and Alzner with Wideman or the best 4 million RHD money can buy. Not gonna happen but nice to think about.

Last edited by Halpysback: 11-18-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old
11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Dirtbag59

Caps hope less time for stars now means more later

Old
11-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Dirtbag59

I thought this would be interesting for a frame of reference. Seeing how Ovi scored goals in the past when he was flat out dominant.

Old
11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
txpd

those highlights are in the past. see how many of those things came as a result of playing the point on the pp. those shots are not there for him anymore. see how few of them were scored in the slot or near the net.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
those highlights are in the past. see how many of those things came as a result of playing the point on the pp. those shots are not there for him anymore. see how few of them were scored in the slot or near the net.
Actually I was about to say that I was wrong about him on the point. I only remember seeing 3 or 4 goals from the blue line in that video. The bulk of his goals seem to be going to the net on chip ins or shooting wristers from the slot.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I thought this would be interesting for a frame of reference. Seeing how Ovi scored goals in the past when he was flat out dominant.
You know what is remarkable is how much room he was given. Teams are much more aggressive on the PP against us now.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:24 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Actually I was about to say that I was wrong about him on the point. I only remember seeing 3 or 4 goals from the blue line in that video. The bulk of his goals seem to be going to the net on chip ins or shooting wristers from the slot.
i think what you are missing is how many of those goals near the net came off his play at the point. go back and watch. he starts at the left pt on a face off in the rw circle and works his way around behind the play for a back door tap in. he doesnt get that stuff playing down low and he doesnt get the point one timers either.

has he scored a goal off a one timer this season? i dont think so.

i was struck looking at those goals how few of them look anything like his goals this season.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:10 AM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
You know what is remarkable is how much room he was given. Teams are much more aggressive on the PP against us now.
Further demonstrating his (and the team's) inability to adapt and evolve. This new system isn't really a new system. It's the team is playing like they suck, hence a more boring game which gives off the illusion that it's their more defensive style gameplan.

It's just frustrating as hell to watch this team even when they're winning. It's just sloppy stubborn play most of the time.

:

Old
11-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think what you are missing is how many of those goals near the net came off his play at the point. go back and watch. he starts at the left pt on a face off in the rw circle and works his way around behind the play for a back door tap in. he doesnt get that stuff playing down low and he doesnt get the point one timers either.

has he scored a goal off a one timer this season? i dont think so.

i was struck looking at those goals how few of them look anything like his goals this season.
I'm pretty sure he had a one timer this season, I could be wrong. I do remember several attempts which were either off the mark or the goalie was quick to cover the near side of the net. Of course the incoming pass probably plays a role.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:11 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

His one pp goal from the high slot, vs fla i think, was a catch and release snap shot. Not the typical one timer slap shot most think of. But it's the area I believe he can be most effective. Not cause the puck is likely to go in, but because he'll cause more disruption to the defensive structure once he releases the puck. And just maybe it'll go in.... Same frequency as his now disappeared point one timer.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
If you look at it, I think we're the third-tallest and second heaviest in the league. We're not using our size to our advantage
exactly right. but that quote stings given the caps size and how little they use it, and the fact BB acknowledges it yet it never changes. ovi can and/or does play to his size/strength. brouwer can/does. ersk. wtf is everyone else?

and is it just me or is anyone else sick of hendricks? not worth getting too worked up over a 4th liner, but he seems so awful these days. turnover after turnover, bad positioning, meh forecheck, crap skating. its not that he brings nothing, like most 4th liners, its that what he brings seems like a negative. also lost his sack some time ago. so much for "having to fight" as per 24/7 clips. so much for taking any of their guys off the ice for 5 minutes, which no matter who it is will be a positive trade for the caps.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
His one pp goal from the high slot, vs fla i think, was a catch and release snap shot. Not the typical one timer slap shot most think of. But it's the area I believe he can be most effective. Not cause the puck is likely to go in, but because he'll cause more disruption to the defensive structure once he releases the puck. And just maybe it'll go in.... Same frequency as his now disappeared point one timer.
I agree that putting ovechkin in the center of the pk box is very disruptive to the penalty killers and it might create success for the power play unit if the other players are consistantly putting the puck in the net. its why the pp seemed to regain some stature while both green and wideman were on the unit.

That said, the reason it is disruptive is because the pk is focusing on denying Ovechkin touches and scoring chances. In the case of the one goal you mention, Ov stepped out away from the net, putting himself above the pk forwards for that one shot.

If sacrificing Ovechkin's scoring and his participation is an acceptable biproduct of improving the pp%, this can continue. Another biproduct of using him there is that his scoring and his confidence will suffer. He will receive more and more negative media and more and more "Is Ov past his prime?" stuff.

We've had this conversation already here this season. Many care more about the PP scoring a goal than care about Ov getting ppg's. Its important to remember that Ovechkin's scoring is a momentum builder and a fear factor. When the Caps need him to score, need a big play from him, if he hasnt been scoring, its going to be harder.

I have to wonder if his recuction in TOI isn't hurting his game. Ov has always had a big run from December thru February and this season may be no different. I am hoping, but I am very concerned that turning him into a more normal player in terms of ice time and not making him the focus of the power play is a long term mistake.

I dont think the reduced ice time is helping Semin either for that matter.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:09 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
exactly right. but that quote stings given the caps size and how little they use it, and the fact BB acknowledges it yet it never changes. ovi can and/or does play to his size/strength. brouwer can/does. ersk. wtf is everyone else?

and is it just me or is anyone else sick of hendricks? not worth getting too worked up over a 4th liner, but he seems so awful these days. turnover after turnover, bad positioning, meh forecheck, crap skating. its not that he brings nothing, like most 4th liners, its that what he brings seems like a negative. also lost his sack some time ago. so much for "having to fight" as per 24/7 clips. so much for taking any of their guys off the ice for 5 minutes, which no matter who it is will be a positive trade for the caps.
Like not getting puck deap on a dump, turnover at their blue line, our def changes, and they score.... That kind of sick!?

Old
11-19-2011, 10:12 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Tx I think ovi will get as many opportunities there as on the point. I have little faith of the point scoring returning without the pk being forced to play other caps evenly... So in either strategy it's up to other caps to take advantage of the space.... Ann's stop staring at ovi and forcing puck to him.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:28 AM
CaptainKonoForever

I don't buy the whole teams have just figured him out. If you watch the video he just simply beat guys one on one sometimes and his release was much quicker. Frankly, I think his problem is between the ears. He looks like he lacks the motivation and desire to score like he use to.

Old
11-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Need a shakeup of some sort

Old
11-19-2011, 08:06 PM
txpd

interesting conversation on hotstove. milbury and friedman talking about ovechkin laying down on the job and dividing the locker room while healy says boudreau needs to go back to mr nice guy.

so...fire boudreau and hire a taskmaster coach and ov hates it more?

milbury and friedman both seem to be getting some leakage out of the team from somewhere that things are off the rails

Old
11-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Seemed more like they were talking out of their ***** and discussing false choices. Player's coach / hard ass disciplinarian is such a simplistic categorization.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:44 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Seemed more like they were talking out of their ***** and discussing false choices. Player's coach / hard ass disciplinarian is such a simplistic categorization.
Agreed. When you have no real insight, simply talk louder, is their MO.