HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM
tmljeh19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Seriously. Don't use that nickname.
I have no intentions of using that nickname as you imply Im using it.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Bourque, Collins, and McNeill waived by WSH, according to BMcK.

Poor Chris Bourque.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Matty B View Post
Bourque, Collins, and McNeill waived by WSH, according to BMcK.

Poor Chris Bourque.
So wait 24 hrs to see if they are claimed?

Old
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
artilector

My expectations for this season... I have no expectations The way I see it our top two lines have a lot of players who we're not (yet/still) sure we can count on in the playoffs, and our bottom 6 is kind of meh. Defense seems pretty solid, goalies are solid..

Didn't particularly like the deals GMGM made with the blue collar guys, though I understand the logic. Overall, I guess the Caps will always have a solid puncher's chance, and for now that's good enough for me.

Good to see BB give MJ long looks with Ovechkin though, I think that's the future..

It will be interesting to see how Backstrom, Ovechkin, MJ look this season, Orlov in call-ups. And of course Semin & Green and playoffs, it's about time for the final verdict.

Old
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
maplepred

Could preds/caps do a deal?

Hi Washington fans! Hope you have all been enjoying the preseason so far, I can't wait for regular season to start though!!

So I'm obviously a Predators fan, and the predators are obviously a team in dire need of someone along the lines of backstrom/ semin.

So I just wanted to make a friendly post and ask you guys what it would take to acquire one of them? I know semin would probably be more available than backs, but do we have anything you would want?

I know you are pretty stacked on D prospects but I'm sure you guys could use a monster like suter on your blueline perhaps?

Let me know what you guys think, thank you

Old
09-30-2011, 02:37 PM
NeilYoung

Backstroms not available if he's traded we have nooone close to a first line center and pretty much ****s **** up. Semins tradable no idea what it would. If he left it would also open a pretty glaring hole on the second line. Ryan Suter would be the perfect partner for Mike Green though I don't really see how a deal would get done. I still think Weber, Suter and Rinne will all be back next year anyways

Old
09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Assume 2 things:

1.) The Preds don't think they can keep Suter (maybe they want to spend more at F and will pay Rinne big $$ or something)

2.) They Preds think Semin is worth acquiring, whether as a rental or as a potential extension candidate

I don't think either of those are likely, but go with it. Semin+ for Suter, what does the + need to be?

Old
09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Assume 2 things:

1.) The Preds don't think they can keep Suter (maybe they want to spend more at F and will pay Rinne big $$ or something)

2.) They Preds think Semin is worth acquiring, whether as a rental or as a potential extension candidate

I don't think either of those are likely, but go with it. Semin+ for Suter, what does the + need to be?
Realistically, Alzner maybe?

Semin sucked donkey balls last season, he's a headcase and he's freaking expensive.

They could get a much better forward for Suter elsewhere.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
maplepred

I don't think the + would have to be a lot, both are great at what they do and both are free agents next season. Semin is UFA or RFA??

Quote:
Assume 2 things:

Old
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Brave Sir Robin

With all our recent offensive struggles I think we need Semin more than Suter. Our defense is not spectacular, but it is deep enough as it is.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
txpd

if the preds were to trade suter, it would be because his contract is up and would be too expensive to keep. Semin and Green are in the same circumstance and are non-starters.

a deal around suter for kuzntesov might work. the preds get a player with high end capabilities who would also have three seasons of ELC and then rfa status to follow. thats about the only way it makes sense. the preds move a player they will lose and get a high end player they can afford to keep for several seasons.

i doubt the preditors move suter with a chance to go deep in the playoffs. at the present developement of that franchise poile may well be prepared to lose suter for nothing and take a step back in 12-13 if he gets one legit shot at going to the finals.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

dchesnokov 23:30:53, 30 сентября 2011 г.

For the first time both Radulov's agent and Salavat's GM confirmed Radulov has a gents agreement to leave to the NHL next year(via SovSport)

That should end it. Radulov's contract is 0,8M for next season if he's going to play for Preds. No need for Semin.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Congrats to DC on his new TSN gig.

10-01-2011, 02:51 AM
maplepred

Not really though, weber, suts, and rinne are all free agents come seasons end, we need a first line goal scorer now, for this season.
Or the big three probably walk and then it wouldn't matter as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
dchesnokov 23:30:53, 30 сентября 2011 г.

For the first time both Radulov's agent and Salavat's GM confirmed Radulov has a gents agreement to leave to the NHL next year(via SovSport)

That should end it. Radulov's contract is 0,8M for next season if he's going to play for Preds. No need for Semin.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
txpd

could it be that the caps are preparing to go short term to stsart the season with 6 defensemen and three spare forwards?

as of today all the spare defensemen have cleared waivers for ahl assignmen except for waiver excempt orlov. orlov is not a you would expect to be kept as a scratched spare. meanwhile erskine is wearing a no contact sweater and has said it will be at least a couple of weeks before he will be ready for action.

the caps dont need a spare defenseman on the roster til they play in detroit and then head to edmonton and vancouver starting october 22. they could safely go with their main 6 defensemen til an injury up to that detroit game.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
could it be that the caps are preparing to go short term to stsart the season with 6 defensemen and three spare forwards?

as of today all the spare defensemen have cleared waivers for ahl assignmen except for waiver excempt orlov. orlov is not a you would expect to be kept as a scratched spare. meanwhile erskine is wearing a no contact sweater and has said it will be at least a couple of weeks before he will be ready for action.

the caps dont need a spare defenseman on the roster til they play in detroit and then head to edmonton and vancouver starting october 22. they could safely go with their main 6 defensemen til an injury up to that detroit game.
I more expect that it's exactly what WaPo has been saying. Orlov is up because he's going to play Sunday, and the other defense wasn't. After that Orlov goes down and someone else comes back up as an injury call-up. Let them get acclimated in Hershey until then, because that's where they'll be spending most of their time anyway.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quick Question...

I'll be going in a few pools this season and I just wanted to know if Caps fans think Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green etc. will return putting up huge numbers again. I know the teams offensive numbers were down last season because of the defensive system that was put in place. I guess what i'm trying to say is, will Washington continue to play the defensive system or will Boudreau let loose and go back to the high powered offensive system from a couple of years ago?

Any help would be much appreciated. I just don't want to take lots of Caps players if they're not expected to put up big numbers again this season.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I would draft all of them as if last year was the norm.

10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

As someone who liked what Ward did in the playoffs last year, after seeing him last night.....I'm going to annoint him the Eric Fehr/Tomas Fleischman Goat of the Year award right now. For $3mil per season, he's doesn't have a lot of skill. He better be a playoff hero or ...Caps fans are going to roast this guy. I'm calling it now.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I would draft all of them as if last year was the norm.
I'd split the difference. I don't expect them to be a 224 goal team they were last year but I don't expect them to be the 318 goal team they were the year before either.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
As someone who liked what Ward did in the playoffs last year, after seeing him last night.....I'm going to annoint him the Eric Fehr/Tomas Fleischman Goat of the Year award right now. For $3mil per season, he's doesn't have a lot of skill. He better be a playoff hero or ...Caps fans are going to roast this guy. I'm calling it now.
I'm pretty sure Schultz's name has already been engraved on that trophy for the next few seasons...

Old
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
I am not looking for him to be a star. I will be happy with 15 and 20. As long as he is what Flash and Fehr were not. And that is on the ice every night. Hard working and willing to get his hands dirty. We have enough high end skill. We are missing guys that will do the dirty work. And spend their time in the corners and in front of the net.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Still have Chimmer. Ward will have to earn my hatred.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
txpd

Ward seems very much the kind of player who's strenth and courage leaves him as a player left standing when the long season is over and the next level of pounding in the playoffs really starts taking its toll.

So, he is not skilled. He is determined. When the games are really hard he can score you a couple per series.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Assume 2 things:

Semin doesn't fit into the Preds current style of play, which may be viewed by their front office as a deal breaker or a breath of fresh air.

Closed Thread