HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Perreault, Beagle, King have definitely made their cases. And Neuvirth looks straight up defiant in net, like he wants to make us forget Vokoun's even on the roster. Ward and Hamrlik are slower than I was expecting but otherwise pretty much what I'd hoped they would be. The power play looks completely different with Wideman running it. Boston still hasn't found a way to replace him. Extremely happy with Brouwer and Halpern. Will probably have a shiny new 20 jersey sitting next to my 15 soon. Johansson is terrible on the draw and has looked pretty flat. If he's going to play with Ovechkin he needs to be able to win offensive zone draws.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Perreault, Beagle, King have definitely made their cases. And Neuvirth looks straight up defiant in net, like he wants to make us forget Vokoun's even on the roster. Ward and Hamrlik are slower than I was expecting but otherwise pretty much what I'd hoped they would be. The power play looks completely different with Wideman running it. Boston still hasn't found a way to replace him. Extremely happy with Brouwer and Halpern. Will probably have a shiny new 20 jersey sitting next to my 15 soon. Johansson is terrible on the draw and has looked pretty flat. If he's going to play with Ovechkin he needs to be able to win offensive zone draws.
I've been impressed with Ward's hands. I was expecting a glorified Asham-type. I'm still wait-and-see on Vokoun. Neuvirth was fantastic everytime I saw him play.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Caps need to trade either Alex Semin or Mike Green this season. The types of roster tweaks they have made in the last few offseasons are moves I'd expect from a team that regularly goes far in the playoffs, not a team that can't get past the second round.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoutJunkie View Post
Caps need to trade either Alex Semin or Mike Green this season. The types of roster tweaks they have made in the last few offseasons are moves I'd expect from a team that regularly goes far in the playoffs, not a team that can't get past the second round.
Erm drrrrr, I think they made these moves BECAUSE they can't get past the second round... That's sort of the entire point. Oh and...I'm pretty sure there isn't a GM out there who wouldn't make a Varlamov for potential lottery pick trade when there is a clear and obvious logjam in net. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they do the same thing with Neuvy if Holtby proves himself even more in ChocolateTown this year.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think you could make a pretty fair case that Semin-Backstrom-Knuble would be the first line.
Whatever number it's given, if there's one line that concerns me it's that one.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
txpd

what concerns you about it?

Old
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Erm drrrrr, I think they made these moves BECAUSE they can't get past the second round... That's sort of the entire point. Oh and...I'm pretty sure there isn't a GM out there who wouldn't make a Varlamov for potential lottery pick trade when there is a clear and obvious logjam in net. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they do the same thing with Neuvy if Holtby proves himself even more in ChocolateTown this year.
Absolutely not. He's an ultra-competitive gamer with the perfect "f you" attitude. This kid is going to be VERY solid in net for many years. He's shown the dedication and commitment day in and day out. Varlamov had the talent but not the attitude.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
what concerns you about it?
Puck funnelling and forechecking. I'm not sure chemistry with Semin is possible but I guess if 19/28 just play with urgency it'll be decent.

Claiming Matt Corrente or Mark Fraser wouldn't be a bad idea if they want to add depth on defense and/or pave the way for Orlov to head to Hershey outside if they're not overly comfortable with Collins or someone. Pretty much exclusively 6/7s but guys that would add a little more bite.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Claiming Matt Corrente or Mark Fraser wouldn't be a bad idea if they want to add depth on defense and/or pave the way for Orlov to head to Hershey outside if they're not overly comfortable with Collins or someone. Pretty much exclusively 6/7s but guys that would add a little more bite.
What about that Matt Lashoff kid in Toronto?

Old
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
And do what with them after Erskine comes back? Dump them back to waivers? Send down Perreault/King?

Old
10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Puck funnelling and forechecking. I'm not sure chemistry with Semin is possible but I guess if 19/28 just play with urgency it'll be decent.

i think the caps are comfortable with who they have. i just think that their top 6 is healthy. their 7 is recovering still. they dont appear to want to keep a 7 to be scratched unless they are a distance from hershey.

Old
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
And do what with them after Erskine comes back? Dump them back to waivers? Send down Perreault/King?
Dump Schultz? Ha. Depends how long they think Erskine will be out I guess but King could be sacrificed if they really impress. King has played pretty well but he's still likely the 14th forward (if that) and offers no lineup/role versatility. If it doesn't happen early then towards the trade deadline I could maybe see him being dropped for a cheap depth defenseman.

Lashoff has cleared before so I don't know how highly thought of he is but he's another option. Edmonton should be considering these guys pretty seriously given their injuries.

Old
10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Bure

I hope Ovechkins not overly effected by his death in the family.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
txpd

Quote:
Puck funnelling and forechecking. I'm not sure chemistry with Semin is possible but I guess if 19/28 just play with urgency it'll be decent..
are you really worried about backstrom?

Old
10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
are you really worried about backstrom?
After last season...I think we all should be, just a little.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
txpd

oh, i get that. i am curious to see who the real nick backstrom is. last season or the guy before that. but i would not be more worried about a like because backstrom was there compared to a line where johansson is.

ovechkin-johansson-brouwer just has more questions than semin-backstrom-knuble.

personally, i think the beginning of this season is going to be a little weird. lots of new pieces and lots of settling in to come.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Capitlols

I'm slowly warming to the idea of starting SOB as the top line and break them up when they get too cute. Seems like its becoming the trend lately in the NHL.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
After last season...I think we all should be, just a little.
Yep. His comments after the first pre-season game were a little concerning. Something to the effect that maybe we're just not as good as we used to be.

8/90/20 is a much better forechecking line and that alone will make them pretty effective. The third and fourth lines are built that way as well so maybe the second line just needs to be strong defensively and pick their spots. Still, they'd be more formidable if that second line was tougher to play against. 19/28 have to really buy in, battle and keep their feet moving. Knuble ought to round into form as usual but you never know.

Last edited by Langway: 10-03-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old
10-03-2011, 03:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I'm slowly warming to the idea of starting SOB as the top line and break them up when they get too cute. Seems like its becoming the trend lately in the NHL.
Which is always. Semin is a bad influence on Ovechkin.

Last edited by EroCaps: 10-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Which is always. Semin is a bad influence on Ovechkin.
On the other hand, when paired, they have instant chemistry and create offense. Which would be beneficial for the early part of the season.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Stewie G

I want the Backstrom from the game against Chicago where Ovechkin got kicked out. Heck, even 90% of that guy would be good enough for me.

Old
10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I want the Backstrom from the game against Chicago where Ovechkin got kicked out. Heck, even 90% of that guy would be good enough for me.
I'll take Backstrom from any point except last season.

Old
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
txpd

semin with ovechkin is best used to catch up when behind in the 3rd period. i'd prefer they keep it that way. particularly now that there are fewer skill wingers in the mix. putting 8 and 28 on the same line means another line with two brouwer, knuble, ward, chimera style wingers.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just now looking at the stats for preseason. Brouwer with 5 assists in 4 games. Not too shabby.

Perreault stepped up. Gotta give him a roster spot.

Alzner and Carlson not really starting well in the +\- category.

Semin...5 games...no points. -2. Fantastic. God mode!
I agree. Right now Sjogren and Eakin are the sexier names due to the fact that they have more perceived upside then a guy like Mathieu, but if Mathieu is the guy who's playing the best, and has worked as hard as the reports say he is to improve his game, then it would be a tragedy for him not to get that final roster spot.

Out of curiosity though has Perrault's improvement included being better on defense, for anyone that's followed camp close enough? All I've been able to gather is vague descriptions like his stat line and reports that say he's the best player in camp among the competitors for the final roster spot. I've yet to hear to many specifics about his actual game.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
oh, i get that. i am curious to see who the real nick backstrom is. last season or the guy before that. but i would not be more worried about a like because backstrom was there compared to a line where johansson is.

ovechkin-johansson-brouwer just has more questions than semin-backstrom-knuble.

personally, i think the beginning of this season is going to be a little weird. lots of new pieces and lots of settling in to come.
I agree. Ovi - MaJo - Brouwer line does not seem to work at all. Johansson is not making plays, and Ovi tries to hard to do it all on his own. Also, MaJo is awful on faceoffs. I want to see Ovi and Nick back together.

Honestly so far I've been disappointed by Johansson, and quite pleased with Laich. The latter was the better playmaker in the last two games. I'd actually prefer the top 6 to look like this:

Ovi - Backstrom - Knuble/Brouwer
Semin - Laich - Brouwer/Knuble

Maybe if MaJo regains his form, he can reclaim his place on the 2nd line.

Closed Thread