HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 07:21 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
i thnk you have to understand that established nhl players are working on different things than the basics of winning hockey games.

as a for instance. johansson maybe losing faceoffs because he and the coaching staff want him to experiment with techniques. dont look at the numbers. who's the caps leading preseason scorer? brouwer?

Old
10-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoutJunkie View Post
Caps need to trade either Alex Semin or Mike Green this season. The types of roster tweaks they have made in the last few offseasons are moves I'd expect from a team that regularly goes far in the playoffs, not a team that can't get past the second round.
I completely agree, the only prob is after this whole off-season Semin is untrade-able and Green will not get the value he once would/should have because of his defensive liabilities and his crappy play in the playoffs. Plus he has missed significant time two of the last three years.

I don't mind resigning Green but man if they give him more than 4 mil a year (unless he has a another 70-85 pt. year) I am going to go nuts. We already have to carry lousy Poti and Schultz contracts, and for what we will inevitably get from Laich (20g 30a) we are way over paying him as well.

Plus Alzner and Carlson will still need to get paid, and they are the anchors of the D (along with Orlov soon). So even though I think we are stacked nicely as a franchise, moving some of the guys that need to be moved will be harder for GMGM.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Foy

What crappy play in the playoffs? Wasn't Green the only player to score in every game in the Rangers series?

Be prepared to go nuts next summer.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:44 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig991 View Post
I completely agree, the only prob is after this whole off-season Semin is untrade-able and Green will not get the value he once would/should have because of his defensive liabilities and his crappy play in the playoffs. Plus he has missed significant time two of the last three years.

I don't mind resigning Green but man if they give him more than 4 mil a year (unless he has a another 70-85 pt. year) I am going to go nuts. We already have to carry lousy Poti and Schultz contracts, and for what we will inevitably get from Laich (20g 30a) we are way over paying him as well.

Plus Alzner and Carlson will still need to get paid, and they are the anchors of the D (along with Orlov soon). So even though I think we are stacked nicely as a franchise, moving some of the guys that need to be moved will be harder for GMGM.
I agree that they won't get the same return for Semin or Green that they would have if they had traded them a year ago, but neither one of them is doing the team any good (unless you listen to fans who get distracted by the points column). Semin is an obvious problem and Green shouldn't even be on the ice unless it's for a powerplay. What Caps management is struggling with is this idea that their lack of playoff success is because of their role players, and not their core players. They got a good return for Varlamov, and they could improve their roster with the right deal for a key player who hasn't requested a trade.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
txpd

I think what you are missing in your anti semin/green attitude is that when they are healthy and perform, the caps win in the playoffs. removing them without replacing them does not get them further down the road.

the winger/green thing is beyond passe. give it up. the green shouldnt be on the ice except for a power play is just so much trolling.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think what you are missing in your anti semin/green attitude is that when they are healthy and perform, the caps win in the playoffs. removing them without replacing them does not get them further down the road.

the winger/green thing is beyond passe. give it up. the green shouldnt be on the ice except for a power play is just so much trolling.
Not seeing any trolling, just wondering why a team who can never get all of their stars on the same page in the playoffs, and as a result can't get past anyone but the Rangers, is so desperate to keep those players together. Plus I never said "remove without replacing". The Caps would be able to get a decent return on either of them, I'm not suggesting a contract buyout.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Not seeing any trolling, just wondering why a team who can never get all of their stars on the same page in the playoffs, and as a result can't get past anyone but the Rangers, is so desperate to keep those players together. Plus I never said "remove without replacing". The Caps would be able to get a decent return on either of them, I'm not suggesting a contract buyout.
Because they're young players with amazing skill still learning how to play the game. Not everybody is an Ovechkin/Crosby and is dominant in the playoffs from the onset.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:52 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I agree. Ovi - MaJo - Brouwer line does not seem to work at all. Johansson is not making plays, and Ovi tries to hard to do it all on his own. Also, MaJo is awful on faceoffs. I want to see Ovi and Nick back together.

Honestly so far I've been disappointed by Johansson, and quite pleased with Laich. The latter was the better playmaker in the last two games. I'd actually prefer the top 6 to look like this:

Ovi - Backstrom - Knuble/Brouwer
Semin - Laich - Brouwer/Knuble

Maybe if MaJo regains his form, he can reclaim his place on the 2nd line.
Playmakers in order:
Backstrom
Perreault
Laich/Johanssen

Old
10-04-2011, 08:52 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Because they're young players with amazing skill still learning how to play the game. Not everybody is an Ovechkin/Crosby and is dominant in the playoffs from the onset.
You'll get no argument from me on "young players with great skill", but still learning how to play the game? They are six year veterans entering their seventh year and I don't see either of them drastically altering their game. Plus I agree that not everyone is great in the playoffs from the onset like you said. However the onset for them was 2007-2008. They've been to the playoffs three times since then. Where do you draw the line?

Old
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I agree. Right now Sjogren and Eakin are the sexier names due to the fact that they have more perceived upside then a guy like Mathieu, but if Mathieu is the guy who's playing the best, and has worked as hard as the reports say he is to improve his game, then it would be a tragedy for him not to get that final roster spot.

Out of curiosity though has Perrault's improvement included being better on defense, for anyone that's followed camp close enough? All I've been able to gather is vague descriptions like his stat line and reports that say he's the best player in camp among the competitors for the final roster spot. I've yet to hear to many specifics about his actual game.
According to what I read of Boudreau, MP has been the best player at camp....not the best of players #13-14-15-16....
“Well, we have an idea. We know what we’re going to do. I think our best player all of camp was Perreault,” Boudreau said. “Played with energy every night and I think he was very similar last year but we’ll sit down tomorrow and discuss all of this.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Old
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
CrashTheNet9

SkyKerstein Sky Kerstein
#Caps announce Dmitry Orlov, Mattias Sjogren and Cody Eakin will be joining Hershey tomorrow

Old
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Maybe Beagle & Perrettueutu can get real numbers now.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:58 AM
chsb

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me on "young players with great skill", but still learning how to play the game? They are six year veterans entering their seventh year and I don't see either of them drastically altering their game. Plus I agree that not everyone is great in the playoffs from the onset like you said. However the onset for them was 2007-2008. They've been to the playoffs three times since then. Where do you draw the line?
Some of them are quickly gaining "Joe Thornton" status as playoff performers...
Another Spring of this and something will have to be done.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
If you haven't seen Green alter his game you don't pay the slightest of attention to the Capitals other than trolling this board.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
SkyKerstein Sky Kerstein
#Caps announce Dmitry Orlov, Mattias Sjogren and Cody Eakin will be joining Hershey tomorrow
No surprise there, except maybe not keeping Orlov up for a couple games to hedge against Erskine - guess that means Erskine's ready to go.

So the opening night roster is set:

Ovechkin
Johansson
Brouwer
Semin
Backstrom
Knuble
Chimera
Laich
Ward
Hendricks
Halpern
Beagle
Perreault
King

Alzner
Carlson
Green
Hamrlik
Wideman
Schultz
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Interested to see what random lines Bruce throws out there to see what sticks, now that the games matter. No substitute for live fire testing.

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 10-04-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old
10-04-2011, 09:07 AM
CrashTheNet9

Why do you have 13 forwards listed? We'll have 2 extra forwards with MP and King.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Why do you have 13 forwards listed? We'll have 2 extra forwards with MP and King.
Because I forgot King.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Absolutely not. He's an ultra-competitive gamer with the perfect "f you" attitude. This kid is going to be VERY solid in net for many years. He's shown the dedication and commitment day in and day out. Varlamov had the talent but not the attitude.
Meh. I don't see it. Never have with him. My opinion on him is...will never STEAL you a game/series. Is going to give up 2 goals a game, every game(occasionally 3...), so if you score 3-4 you are going to win, but he's not a 40 save, stand on his head type of goalie. I mean, I guess that's good, but...who knows, I find Holtby to be pretty much identical but with better puck movement.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM
txpd

oh...neuvirth is a vindictive little cus. i've seen it. most notably was the 24/7 comments from bylsma about neuvirth being a shakey goalie. the next meeting came with several reports of neuvirth giving bylsma the hairy eyeball during pregame and that was followed by a shutout. that was pretty much an up your's moment.

the guy is a geek that is surrounded by pretty typically studly athlete types. i am not remotely surprised that he uses putdown as a motivator.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I love the fact that Neuvirth appears to be using Vokoun coming in as #1 as a motivator. If he can find a way to harness that every game... well, he's played like one of the top goalies in the league when playing with his hackles up. If not, well, he's a Luongo with a higher floor. Let's find a way to get him indignant and keep him that way.

On a completely different note, is anybody else really worried that the Caps have seemed to allow goals immediately after scoring in pretty much every game this preseason? Not a good trend.

Hendricks' late-game heroics, though, are a positive sign. Maybe he's found an extra gear after a largely disappointing playoffs.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
No surprise there, except maybe not keeping Orlov up for a couple games to hedge against Erskine - guess that means Erskine's ready to go.

So the opening night roster is set:

Ovechkin
Johansson
Brouwer
Semin
Backstrom
Knuble
Chimera
Laich
Ward
Hendricks
Halpern
Beagle
Perreault
King

Alzner
Carlson
Green
Hamrlik
Wideman
Schultz
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Interested to see what random lines Bruce throws out there to see what sticks, now that the games matter. No substitute for live fire testing.
So basically 4 players changed from the roster we ended last season with. Guess management thinks we are a lot closer than the rest of us do.

Hannan--->Hamrlik
BGordon+Bradley+Fehr--->Halpern+Ward+Brouwer

Basically that's the sum difference.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
So basically 4 players changed from the roster we ended last season with. Guess management thinks we are a lot closer than the rest of us do.

Hannan--->Hamrlik

If it makes you feel better, I think one more playoff embarassment will bring real change. Although I did kinda say the same thing last year...

Old
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post

Hannan--->Hamrlik

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I think one more playoff embarassment will bring real change. Although I did kinda say the same thing last year...
Hamrlik so far looks like a downgrade from Hannan, but Halpern + Ward + Brouwer is a huge upgrade over Gordon + Bradley + Fehr in all aspects of the game, except for possibly Fehr's shot.

Also, swap Varlamov for Vokoun.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Oh god, are we going to have to deal with Mrs. Perrault all season now?

Old
10-04-2011, 11:26 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Oh god, are we going to have to deal with Mrs. Perrault all season now?
Luckily I am no relation of his....otherwise you could see me in the stands

That being said, I expect good things from him this season as I expect his breakthrough.

Closed Thread