HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Coyotes Re-Sign Mike Johnson To A Three Year Deal

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Hordichuk_24

vCash: 500
Coyotes Re-Sign Mike Johnson To A Three Year Deal

COYOTES SIGN JOHNSON TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Michael Barnett announced today that the Coyotes have signed right wing Mike Johnson to a three-year contract. As per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“Mike brings many positives to our roster each night,” said Barnett. "He has elite speed, he kills penalties, he has power play experience. He can pretty well be put in any situation for you and get the job done. We missed his contribution greatly last year.”

The 6-foot-2, 201 pound Johnson has collected at least 40 points in five of his six full NHL seasons. Last season, his 8th in the NHL, Johnson played in only 11 games for the Coyotes, missing the final 71 games (Nov. 6-Apr. 3) of the season due to shoulder surgery. At the time of his injury, he ranked T-6th in the NHL in assists and also ranked 1st on the Coyotes in assists, T-2nd in points and ranked 2nd in power play points (1-4-5). Johnson averaged 19:50 minutes of ice time per game.

In 2002-03, the 30-year-old Johnson had a breakout year, setting career highs in goals (23), assists (40), points (63), power play goals (8) and penalty minutes (47). The Scarborough, Ontario native led all Coyotes in goals, assists and points and finished T-11th in the NHL in even strength assists (31). He ranked 3rd among Coyotes forwards in average ice time (19:38) and finished 3rd on the team in plus/minus (+9) and power play points (8-9-17), T-3rd in game-winning goals (3) and T-2nd in power play goals. Johnson also had 13 multiple point games and was one of only 3 Coyotes to play in every game. He also tied his single season career high of 3 game-winning goals and reached the 20-goal plateau for 3rd time. He won the Coyotes MVP award.

In 8 NHL seasons with Toronto, Tampa Bay and Phoenix, Johnson has played in 480 games, recording 100-185-285 and 217 PIM. The Coyotes acquired Johnson from the Tampa Bay Lightning along with Paul Mara, Ruslan Zainullin and a 2nd round choice in the 2001 Entry Draft for Nikolai Khabibulin and Stan Neckar on March 5, 2001.

Old
08-17-2004, 01:10 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Good signing.

The Coyotes have really improved their team this offseason. Very impressive.

Old
08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Yet another fast skater (Johnson).

I jumped on the Coyotes bandwagon one year too soon (last summer) , as I liked the way they were building their team. Even moreso today.

Not enamoured with the Hull signing (dubious about what he has left), but the Cup experience on a young team always helps.

But man, is that team fast.

Some of their off-season acquisitions, while not big name, big-number players, added even more speed (Devereaux; Chimera) to an already superb skating roster, as well as grit/experience both up front and the backline (Ricci; O'Donnell). Talented backliners like Mara and Tanabe are reaching the stage where they should turn it up a notch. And they have depth. Questions remain in goal, though it is not a stretch to suggest that Boucher or Johnson could arrive this year. Both are young, and who thought Mikko Kipprusoff was going to be a starting goaltender in this year's Finals when last season began? Questions also remain behind the bench. The D corp is younger (still somewhat inexperienced), but talented and, overall, huge and mobile.

Gretzky and Barnett are building an interesting team.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-17-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old
08-17-2004, 02:55 PM
BwayBshirt

biggest question for me now with the coyotes is can rick bowness handle such a team? or is the seat still being kept warm for rick tocchet? or someone else that i haven't heard about?

Old
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM

Rumor around town is that the Coyotes are negotiating an extension to make Bowness their head coach. Fans are not entirely pleased, and Tocchet is a favorite of the remaining candidates.

Old
08-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Its good to have all the important players under contract and the free agents reinforcements but I dont understand why they have neglected the head coach issue. I suppose they are still paying Bobby Francis.

With the player contracts out of the way hopefully they will find a good coach.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:03 PM
PhoPhan

I really think that Bowness's two-win record is not entirely his fault. The team, on all levels, quit. Tanabe went down, then Nagy, then Francis got canned. I really don't think that they really wanted to win. They were playing for the pick. While I'd rather see someone like Tocchet given the job, I'm not totally against Bowness.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:03 PM
deathbear

this team looks awesome on paper.

but bowness?!?! come on.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:15 PM
roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I really think that Bowness's two-win record is not entirely his fault. The team, on all levels, quit. Tanabe went down, then Nagy, then Francis got canned. I really don't think that they really wanted to win. They were playing for the pick. While I'd rather see someone like Tocchet given the job, I'm not totally against Bowness.
I tend to agree with this. Bones didn't inherit the best of situations, now did he? I'm a little surprised Conacher wasn't given the NHL job, being a "FOG" and all.

Well, back to Mike Johnson. It's good to see a long-term deal for MJ, as he bloomed late in his career, and in a Coyote sweater. This should lock him in until he is a UFA.

A head coach, one more NHL ready Dman, and one of Boucher or B Johnson to take the starter role by the horns, and the Coyotes are going to be just fine.

Old
08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
andimgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I really think that Bowness's two-win record is not entirely his fault. The team, on all levels, quit.
But one could also say that the team quit because of Bowness. From what I recall, the Coyotes record was 2-12-3-3 with Bowness as the head coach. That's horrible, no matter who is injured. If your team gives up on you, you're obviously doing something wrong.

I'm almost certain that Hull won't respect Bowness.

This team might make the playoffs. With Bowness in charge, that's a big might.

Old
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Hordichuk_24

The team game up way before Bowness took over. It was just the situation he was in, which wasn't very good to say the least.

Old
08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
trahans99

How much is the deal worth? My guess in the 5.5m neighborhood which equal around 1.8m/season

Old
08-17-2004, 10:22 PM
PhoPhan

Rumor is about 6.6 million, which is very fair.

Old
08-17-2004, 10:23 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

coyotes have a sick offense, but are going nowhere with the current goaltending situation.

Old
08-18-2004, 12:52 AM
roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
coyotes have a sick offense, but are going nowhere with the current goaltending situation.
One of the two tenders might finally emerge this year...ya never know. It's the defensive depth that worries me.

Old
08-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
If I had a nickel for every time someone posted that, I'd have like well.....at least 3 dollars & 75 cents.

It's odd how everybody is so quick to judge two 27 year old goalies as if they are past their prime. I guess we all knew in Phoenix that Esche would always be a crappy goalie based on his early career with the Coyotes. Oh yeah, I remember, Esche played so well because he had a great team playing in front of him. I must have forgotten what a 'great' team the Coyotes have been during Boucher's career & Johnson's short-career with the Coyotes. Johnson especially had a good line-up in front of him with the likes of Bezina, Jaspers, Stutzel, and Helmer on the wing.

Oh well, since everyone already knows how Boucher & Johnson are going to do this season, I'd appreciate it if all goalie experts can let me know how every other goaltending tandem in the league is going to do this year.

Might be able to sell tips to JR on hockey teams to bet on this upcoming season.

Old
08-18-2004, 06:47 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful
Might be able to sell tips to JR on hockey teams to bet on this upcoming season.

Closed Thread